Author Topic: Xtreamer Elvira  (Read 61969 times)

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Xtreamer Elvira
« Reply #90 on: Nov 16, 2012 at 09:42 AM »
Just got this NMT, overall satisfied naman ako.  Meron lang few files na mahina yung audio, mostly mga AC3 and a few DTS.  Kelangan i crank up yung receiver para lang may marinig ka. And also yung subtitles, pag italics sya, it will show <i> instead na italic na subs. Kaya ba ng firmware upgrade to?

this is not the fault of either the receiver or the player (assuming that the AC3/DTS audio is bitstreamed, and that your receiver is properly calibrated)

movie soundtrack is typically encoded with full dynamic range, adhering to reference levels. this means soft sounds can be barely audible, and very loud sounds can be earsplitting.

technically, the issue is that everything else is too loud (usually with tv/music with low dynamic range.)
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Offline tftfz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Nov 16, 2012 at 06:00 PM »
mga sir. may 3d ledtv po  ako sa bahay. kung gagamit ba ako nitong xtreamer elvira kung magpeplay ako ng mp4/mkv na HSBS madedetect pa din kaya ng 3d ledtv na 3d yung pliniplay ko? salamat

Offline james_hunt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Nov 17, 2012 at 01:53 PM »
this is not the fault of either the receiver or the player (assuming that the AC3/DTS audio is bitstreamed, and that your receiver is properly calibrated)

movie soundtrack is typically encoded with full dynamic range, adhering to reference levels. this means soft sounds can be barely audible, and very loud sounds can be earsplitting.

technically, the issue is that everything else is too loud (usually with tv/music with low dynamic range.)

Pero pag sa PC ok ang sound?  Maybe may mali ako na setting, or baka limitation na nya talaga?  BTW, my elvira is connected to my receiver via optical.

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Nov 17, 2012 at 04:28 PM »
^ not sure how everything is setup on your end but in my experience, it doesn't matter where i play the file as long as the audio is bitstreamed in it's original format, i get the exact same playback loudness no matter which playback device.

if your PC is decoding the audio stream to PCM, it's possible that it may be applying effects as well (such as dynamic range compression, volume compensation, maybe even digital volume gain...)

Dolby soundtracks usually have a DialNorm (Dialog Normalization) gain value that is automatically applied by the receiver, and effectively raises the Center channel gain for louder dialog playback. If your receiver is getting AC3 as PCM, then the DialNorm "boost" is not applied and hence, low volume for the dialog.

Offline james_hunt

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Nov 17, 2012 at 05:12 PM »
^ thanks sir.  Last question.  If ma brick ba nmt while upgrading the firmware, covered ba ng warranty yun?

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Nov 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM »
^ best if you ask the seller where you bought the unit.

not sure with the elvira, but with the SW3, it has an emergency firmware flash procedure which is supposed to unbrick the unit. if that procedure fails, then IMO you should be able to exchange it for a new one if within warranty. but ultimately it's the seller that can answer that question.

Offline rhizom3

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 06:39 PM »
hi,
Is this capable in playing 3D movies?

Offline chris69ners

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "If u shake it more than twice, ur playin with it"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #97 on: Nov 25, 2012 at 02:06 AM »
Most likely not.
7.2 / Wharfe9 / HK245 / Sony 65X7500D / Philips5986 / Sony RackSys / DQ12x2 / Xtreamer Elvira

Online Nikkie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #98 on: Nov 25, 2012 at 04:18 AM »
hi,
Is this capable in playing 3D movies?

Not capable. It's still using the old 1185 chipset. It's the 1186 chipset that has 3D playback.

Offline rhizom3

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 05:11 PM »
Thanks.  But, this is capable in playing a 3D content as 2D while the 3D capable TV do the 3D processing.  Is my assumption correct?  If so, is there any difference in terms of PQ when processing 3D on the NMT instead of from the TV?

Online Nikkie

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #100 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 05:21 PM »
Pag 3D yung content magiging 2D lang din output nya. Kung may feature yung TV mo ng convert to 3D pwede maging 3D. Pero the quality is far from real 3D.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #101 on: Nov 28, 2012 at 06:50 AM »
I just bought this player with firmware version 3.0.  In movie mode I've tried the multiplex view.  Is it possible to show the fanart in the background?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Nov 28, 2012 at 08:21 AM »
Hi nerveblocker!
How's the quality of 3D playback of Half-SBS/OU encodes using the Elvira compared to the Measy?

Thanks!

I just bought this player with firmware version 3.0.  In movie mode I've tried the multiplex view.  Is it possible to show the fanart in the background?

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Nov 28, 2012 at 08:52 PM »
I will test it later.  This is not a 3D player so I will try converting the SBS files via my TV.  I tried playing a 3D BD ISO in a non-3D TV and it displayed the movie in 2D.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 at 06:43 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM »
Thanks nerveblocker.  Will look forward to your impressions.

I will test it later.  This is not a 3D player so I will try converting the SBS files via my TV.  I tried playing a 3D BD ISO in a non-3D TV amd it displayed the movie in 2D.

Offline mcskuss

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 07:13 PM »
thanks for all your comments.

im planning to buy one.
any idea where to buy the cheapest unit?

thanks!

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM »
thanks for all your comments.

im planning to buy one.
any idea where to buy the cheapest unit?

thanks!

Got my unit from EasyPC for P2150.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 08:46 AM »
Thanks nerveblocker.  Will look forward to your impressions.

Bro, tested the Elvira on my 3DTV and it had good performance on my 3D SBS with the TV converting the file to 3D.  Parang 3D BD ang rendition. I used an HDMI ver 1.4. Pwede!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 at 08:47 AM by nerveblocker »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 06:36 PM »
Using Mediasheets in Xtreamer Elvira

Sorry for the "Blair Witch" quality video.  Just took it using my phone on my left and the remote on my right.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline koykoy

• Collector
  • The answer my friend...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #109 on: Dec 03, 2012 at 11:01 AM »
Hi. Planning also to get this unit for my folks.

Question is, can this play DTS movies without an AV receiver? (My WDTV can't)

It will be connected to an OLD TV (composite video, stereo audio)

Most of my collection are mkv/dts files kc eh. :-)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Dec 03, 2012 at 11:10 AM »
That's good to know.

Is there any difference between the Elvira and the Measy X5 in terms of Half-3D encode performance/quality?

And, have you noticed any issues (no matter how trivial) about these 2 Realtek players (regardless of the pricepoint)? If any.

Regards

Bro, tested the Elvira on my 3DTV and it had good performance on my 3D SBS with the TV converting the file to 3D.  Parang 3D BD ang rendition. I used an HDMI ver 1.4. Pwede!!!  ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Dec 03, 2012 at 05:29 PM »
One thing I've noticed though with the Elvira is that it hangs when you have a lot of files already in your HDD when viewing in thumbnail mode.  I need to reboot it when it happens.  If in List view ok lang.  Maybe because of the slow processor.  ???

Offline mojako

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Dec 05, 2012 at 03:58 AM »
i bought a used 500gb HD which cannot be detected by the elvira.  Weird.  My pc detects the drive.  Formatted it a couple of times already - NTFS and exFAT to no avail.

My wifes seagate can be detected by the elvira. 

Ano kaya problema?

Offline jgl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #113 on: Dec 05, 2012 at 06:44 PM »
Dang, we're also encountering the unit hanging when playing certain films that work fine in our WDTV Live and WDTV Live SMP.  After playing for a few minutes, then shows a blank screen, with no response from the remote.  Anyone found the possible cause for this?  @nerveblocker noticed it with large files in the HDD when using thumbnail view, though mine is in List view.  I'll try it using a small thumbdrive with only 1 or a few movies in it.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Dec 05, 2012 at 08:43 PM »
I was able to play movies from a 1TB HDD searching using list view.  I will also observe if it hangs even on list view.  Maybe it has a toil on the processor when searching from large capacity drives. 

The video I posted with the moviesheets had only 50 movies in the drive that's why it can still handle it.

Offline titan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #115 on: Dec 05, 2012 at 11:54 PM »
Plan to buys this also, I have a seagate 320GB mac formatted. All my movies, audio and other stuff. Di ba mahirap din mag read yung HD pag ganoon? Althought, may 100mb free space pa yung hd ko. TIA

Offline james_hunt

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Dec 06, 2012 at 10:00 AM »
One thing I've noticed though with the Elvira is that it hangs when you have a lot of files already in your HDD when viewing in thumbnail mode.  I need to reboot it when it happens.  If in List view ok lang.  Maybe because of the slow processor.  ???

havent experience that much hanging, even in thumbnail mode.  How do you change the view btw?  Para kasing wala ko makita options.  But Im still using the stock firmware, havent upgraded it yet.  My HD is 2tb, around 1.6TB full.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 07:29 AM »
havent experience that much hanging, even in thumbnail mode.  How do you change the view btw?  Para kasing wala ko makita options.  But Im still using the stock firmware, havent upgraded it yet.  My HD is 2tb, around 1.6TB full.

When you are in the screen with your movie folders already, press Menu in your remote. You will see the options.

Offline matchbox23

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Dec 11, 2012 at 09:18 AM »
After playing for a few minutes, then shows a blank screen, with no response from the remote.

same problem here, 1 week pa lang sakin yung unit and i can't even finish a single movie. Good thing merong sticker ng pctrends yung nabili ko madali magpawarranty. Magcclaim na ko ng warranty since even after ko magupdate ng firmware lagi pa din ganon yung problem.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #119 on: Dec 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM »
Is there an EJECT function for external HDDs with Elvira to "SAFELY REMOVE THE HDD"?