Author Topic: NBA 2012-2013 Season  (Read 866637 times)

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: NBA 2012-2013 Season
« Reply #2370 on: Nov 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM »
Very excited to watch D'Antoni transform the Lakers into a run and gun team with Nash spear heading their attacks.
Big question: Hindi ba sayang yun height and heft advantage nila Gasol and DH over other opposing teams should the Lakers play up tempo games?
In my point of view, teams composing of small players use speed to mainly to offset height advantage of opposing teams.
+1
ito rin ang nasa isip ko. Lakers has one of the best if not the best front court in DH and PG. why not use it to their advantage? Lakers have limited players that could really play uptempo. D'Antoni is fitted well for teams like Miami and OKC but Lakers, i really don't think so.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #2371 on: Nov 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM »
Contrary to speculation on the net, I don't think MDA will turn this edition of the Lakers into a transition team.  What I think we will end up having is a very deliberate offense anchored on Howard and Gasol.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2372 on: Nov 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM »
If Lakers' Management will settle for D'Antoni, then they must be also preparing series of trades to get players that will fit into the D'Antoni system.
Gasol will definitely be the best trade bait to get other athletic players to join the Lakers.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #2373 on: Nov 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM »
Agreed with verbl kint.lakers are too old to play a 7 seconds or less offense.aabutin ng shot clock violation every time they attempt a fastbreak ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2374 on: Nov 12, 2012 at 11:46 PM »
Mawawala sina Gasol at DH sa equation kung pipilitin ni Mike D un 7 secs offense nya.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline frequenzy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
« Reply #2375 on: Nov 12, 2012 at 11:52 PM »
Contrary to speculation on the net, I don't think MDA will turn this edition of the Lakers into a transition team.  What I think we will end up having is a very deliberate offense anchored on Howard and Gasol.
i didn't know MDA had that on his portfolio :-) Looking at how MDA handled PHX and NYK before I'm assuming he will go back to his old ways which is not necessarily bad but you just need to have the right players for it.

Offline Battousai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2376 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 02:26 AM »
Guys, LA has Kobe. He can shoot the ball in less than 7 seconds. Wish Fisher was there as well coz he can score in .4 seconds hehehe

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #2377 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 04:40 AM »
Hati ang consensus ng tao dito sa LA,
may nagsasabing tama ang ginawa ng Lakers management and give it a try,
may nagsasabing mali at sinayang ang "maaaring" huling pagkakataon
ng mga tumatanda ng players na makuha ang championship,...

Power and money ang pinag-uusapan dito kasi, and mukhang mabigat para sa kanila ang hinihingi ni PJ,
though for me, sayang ang pagkakataon ng mga star players, esp Kobe na medyo nagkakaedad na,...

Offline garee

• DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2378 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 05:40 AM »
^
No one is above the franchise - Jim Buss
Power and money ang pinag-uusapan dito kasi, and mukhang mabigat para sa kanila ang hinihingi ni PJ,

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2379 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 06:13 AM »
Phil Jax was "ready" to coach.  He was surprised by this LA move.  He was turned down and para sa Zen Master, medyo masakit ito.  Parang hindi man lang tumawad ang LA bago sya binitawan...

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8622878/stunned-phil-jackson-was-prepared-return-los-angeles-lakers-source-says

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #2380 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 06:27 AM »
According to some locals here, dati ng hindi magkasundo si PJ and si Jim Buss,
dati na raw may iringan ang 2, too bad naipit ang team sa desisyon ni Jim Buss,
all I can say is Good Luck to the team this season, I don't know MDA, pero si PJ,
alam ko iba ang ibig sabihin ng 11 rings, ibang usapan yun,....

Again, Dumb move by Jim Buss,....

Offline bashi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • Yo!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 349
« Reply #2381 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 07:02 AM »

Offline frequenzy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
« Reply #2382 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 07:27 AM »
Lakers spokesman John Black said team owner Jerry Buss, executive vice president Jim Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak were "unanimous that D'Antoni was the best coach for the team at this time."
seriously..?

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2012 at 07:28 AM by frequenzy »

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2383 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 07:32 AM »
If it's true, I say PJ was being impossible.  Being one of the greatest coaches of all time, I think earning a salary of at least $10M is reasonable.

But being a decision-maker in any personnel moves will tie the hands of Kupchack if I say so myself, is already doing an incredible job.  Being consulted siguro pwede pa.  But asking for approval from him in any signings or trade scenario?  Then there is the insistence of shares or an owner's stake in the organization....too much.

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #2384 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 07:32 AM »
Never play poker with the Buss family. Specially with the dumb son Jim Buss. Di man lang nakipagnegotiate ng maayos. Oh well, let's see what Pringles can do. Already getting the sense that Dwight might leave next season. Hope im wrong

Offline bashi

• DVD Addict
  • Yo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2385 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 07:40 AM »
If it's true, I say PJ was being impossible.  Being one of the greatest coaches of all time, I think earning a salary of at least $10M is reasonable.

But being a decision-maker in any personnel moves will tie the hands of Kupchack if I say so myself, is already doing an incredible job.  Being consulted siguro pwede pa.  But asking for approval from him in any signings or trade scenario?  Then there is the insistence of shares or an owner's stake in the organization....too much.

i read somewhere, magic johnson brought 5 titles to the lakers, he gets shares & stock options with the lakers, pj brought 5 titles, he was given the door....the way people (associated with pj) were treated the last time around, you couldn't blame him to ask for more control .... anyway, buhay na naman ulit yun pau gasol trade talks

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2386 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 07:55 AM »
i read somewhere, magic johnson brought 5 titles to the lakers, he gets shares & stock options with the lakers, pj brought 5 titles, he was given the door....the way people (associated with pj) were treated the last time around, you couldn't blame him to ask for more control .... anyway, buhay na naman ulit yun pau gasol trade talks

You can't blame an owner if he feels uncomfortable selling shares to anybody.  Maybe the Buss family was at ease w/ Magic.  Remember when you give PJ an ownership stake, that's forever.  Kahit hindi na coach si PJ, owner pa rin siya.

Offline bashi

• DVD Addict
  • Yo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2387 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:02 AM »
what's 5-10% as compared to 70%

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2388 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:06 AM »
what's 5-10% as compared to 70%

5-10% still translates to hundreds of millions over time when you compare it to the monetary value of the Lakers franchise.  And that's not all....it's still 5-10% PLUS control of personnel moves.  And those millions you pay PJ for life even if let's say the Buss family even remotely likes PJ personally.   :D
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:13 AM by DVD_Freak »

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2389 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:16 AM »
no one is above the franchise.

if you were the owner would you concede to pj's demands?

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2390 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:21 AM »
Probably they looked at it this way...if the current roster of LA struggled to grasp the Princeton offense then what more the Triangle in mid season at that? We gotta remember that only a handful of players are left from Phil Jax last season with LA and two starters namely Howard and Nash will have to learn the system from scratch.  Now by getting Pringles they are assured of getting the most out of Nash since its going to be a sure bet that Pringles will hand the keys to the offense to Nash. It would be interesting to see how he will utilize Howard, Gasol and of course the Mamba.

One problem though....DAntoni is currently injured just like his main pupil Nash and won't be able to start on his new job for the next couple of games. He just had a surgery a couple of weeks back.

I wonder what Phil Jax asked ffrom the LA Management in terms of "control"so much so that they decided to get Pringles instead.

For Pringles simple lang naman ang basketball...paramihan ng points. If the opposing team makes 100 then all that they need is to score 101 points to win. One thing is for sure....expect to see the Lakers average 110ppg... ;D

PJ demands to JBuss, he wanted to be a GM after coaching aside from working from home or from staples during road games. so medyo natakot si Mitch.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2391 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:23 AM »
no one is above the franchise.

if you were the owner would you concede to pj's demands?

Yep.  Money wasnt the issue.  It was more on control and power regarding personnel decisions.  That did not sit well with Jerry and Jim....pati na rin si Kupchak of course.

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2392 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:27 AM »
powerplay by PJ. I guess the hate between him and Jimbo runs very deep.

in other news, Andrew Bynum's glass knees still won't let him play until January. That's a shame for a very talented big man who can't show the league what he is capable of because of his knee problems. Sana lang wag matulad kay Oden.  O0

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2393 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:38 AM »
Im ok na rin with Pringles.  His offensive system was so prolific that it undermined his defensive system.  It wasnt awful, based on stats, it was average.   It may show that they given up more points per game than most teams, but it was only because they were playing a fast pace, that possesions were aplenty.   The one to look for was Points Allowed per Possesion, which the Suns at the time were middle of the Pack.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2394 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:40 AM »
Im ok na rin with Pringles.  His offensive system was so prolific that it undermined his defensive system.  It wasnt awful, based on stats, it was average.   It may show that they given up more points per game than most teams, but it was only because they were playing a fast pace, that possesions were aplenty.   The one to look for was Points Allowed per Possesion, which the Suns at the time were middle of the Pack.

Problem is that system really didn't translate into anything close to winning a title.  And I believe all champs were either great or very good defensively....not average.

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2395 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:49 AM »
Problem is that system really didn't translate into anything close to winning a title.  And I believe all champs were either great or very good defensively....not average.

D'antoni didn't have a Kobe, Pau, Nash, Dwight lineup either so really, it's not conclusive to compare his Suns stint to his new gig with LA. It's just not fair to compare teams. Even Mike Brown's Cavs did great but when Mike came to LA, he failed.

It's best to give D'Antoni's system a go-see first before concluding on anything.

I remember Amare was never into playing defense. It's gonna be different with Kobe, Metta and Dwight.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2396 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:57 AM »
D'antoni didn't have a Kobe, Pau, Nash, Dwight lineup either so really, it's not conclusive to compare his Suns stint to his new gig with LA. It's just not fair to compare teams. Even Mike Brown's Cavs did great but when Mike came to LA, he failed.

It's best to give D'Antoni's system a go-see first before concluding on anything.

I remember Amare was never into playing defense. It's gonna be different with Kobe, Metta and Dwight.

On the contrary D'Antoni had players in their prime in Amare, Marion and Nash was a two-time MVP.  And he had an upcoming all star entering his prime in Joe Johnson.  The statement was not making a conclusion or was conclusive.  How else can you derive your point of view if not basing it on D'Antoni's history thus far?

For sure it would be a different and a new scenario in LA for D'Antoni....he has never coached a bunch of 30 year olds as his main weapons unlike in Phoenix and NY.    ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2397 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:58 AM »

Yep...just pointing out  that Mike isnt an awful defensive coach.  If Kurt Thomas and Stoudemire held the fort during those PHX days, then Howard's presence could lift that average defensive rating.

It may not have showed during this season's early losses, but I think the effort level on defense improved when Mike Brown was fired.  Did Lakers mutinied on Brown....hmmmmm.

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2398 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 09:25 AM »
@ramonashelburne: Phil's agent, Todd Musburger tells ESPNLA: "Don't say you've got until Monday, then roust him at midnight to say, We hired somebody else. That's just not fair dealing and Phil deserved fair dealing. He's a good faith person and he was dealt with poorly. It is indicative of the shabby way that organization is being run. There were no demands, outrageous or otherwise. To say that he wanted control or that he wanted a zillion dollars or that he wanted equity, those were not topics discussed. If Lakers didn't spread those thngs, the fact they didn't take affirmative stance to correct the record is very troublesome. Phil brought nothing but trophies to their bookcase and value to the franchise. He deserved to be dealt w/ honestly""

Yikes. Seems like Jimbo made a mess out of this situation. tsk tsk.

Offline Nikkie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #2399 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 10:25 AM »
Close fight na naman Miami against Houston. Let's see kung makabawi si Harden sa Miami.