Author Topic: Display 2012 (New review: Panasonic 42ST30/Samsung UN55ES7500)  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Hi guys, I've been on "Vacation" since January of 2012...Hence, my inability to post new reviews and update my PM box which is already off the roof!

Well, I'm back and I've spoken to Vic of Sights and Sounds for some reviews! And we're looking at new Samsung models, Sharp 3-D (finally!), and some 3-D plasma Tv's.

So, we'll be able to get things going right away ;)

Note: I won't be answering old PM's anymore, because the backtrack will eat up most of my time. I decided to erase everything and start fresh.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:39 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Re: Display 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012 at 04:14 PM »
Great to hear from you again sir Carlo ;D

Sana you could also review some PJs... :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012 at 04:14 PM by Louie_18 »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012 at 04:15 PM »
Sana you could also review some PJs... :)

PJs are not really my line but a partner of mine will do the review, he just needs to make a pinoydvd account.

Offline Dennis818

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2012 at 02:38 PM »
Can you review the ff:

LG LM6200 series
Samsung E6220

Thanks

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2012 at 09:40 AM »
Samsung UN55ES7500 LED Series 7 Slim TV

Features:
Full HD 1080p (1920x1080) Resolution
Smart TV
Smart Interaction
Smart Content with Signature Services
Apps built for TV
Web Browser
Smart Hub
WiFi built-in
AllShare™ Play
Dual Core Processor
Full HD 2D or 3D
Built-in camera for Skype™
ConnectShare™ Movie
Your Video (Movie Recommendations)
Wireless keyboard compatible
240Hz Refresh Rate
840 Clear Motion Rate (CMR)
Micro Dimming Pro
Wide Color Enhancer Plus
4 x 3D Action glasses

When I first previewed a Samsung 40” Smart TV some time ago, I surmised that this is definitely the way to go.  Just think, it was a Full HD, Wi-Fi, Internet TV (no 3D).  Still, I have been using this brilliant Slim TV for quite a while now and I couldn’t be happier.  OK, I do not use the web feature of the TV as much; simply limiting its use to watching certain high-definition YouTube videos.

Now, I am faced with this new Series 7 LED 55” Smart TV, but having 3D, Motion, Voice, and face recognition features.  I mean this TV “interacts” with you!  Ah … but, can it cook and drive for me, too?  This is one exciting TV.  Also, from what I understand about this ES7500 series Samsung Smart TV can accept future Samsung Evolution Kits that will allow you to change your Smart TVs functionality each year you upgrade.  

Out of the box, this TV is simply gorgeous.  It’s like the hottest looking woman, wearing short shorts, long legs and high stiletto heels.  Personally, only the new series Sony TVs look better.  (Think Angelina Jolie vs. Jennifer Aniston, as far as Brad Pitt’s concerned.)  

Set-up is typical Samsung: easy.  Features also abound in the input/output department: 3 HDMI inputs, AV1, AV2, 1 component, Optical digital out, etc. This unit came with not 1, not 2 but 4 3D glasses.  Nice.  Then, there are not 1, but 2 remote controls: the standard remote and the Smart Touch remote.  Double nice.  You need to actually READ the manual this time esp. for the Smart Touch set-up and the IR Blaster, which synchs and pairs your remote with all your other devices.  Neat.      

OK, let’s get into this Smart Interaction Feature.  Can you imagine a TV that recognizes your face and that you can talk to??  Hmmm, can I “shout” at this TV?  Actually, you can tell it to turn on and off.  (However, strong accents may confuse the TV.  You need to be rather clear and articulate.)  You can also wave you hand to select options and Smart TV setting.  This is so cool.  The TV actually recognizes your face and will set you set up your personal settings on the TV.  

Built in Wifi and Samsung’s extensive Smart TV Smart Hub facility with all the Internet options Samsung has available are included with the 55ES7500.  Apps that are included in Samsung’s Smart Hub options include: Hulu Plus, Neflix, Vudu, MLB, Rovi, Facebook, Twitter, You Tube,  Again, set-up is self-explanatory … TV guides you all the way.  YouTube videos, esp. HD transmissions are clear, detailed and colors are not bleeding.

One of the features of this TV that I am not too keen about is their 2D to 3D function.  Frankly, it is not that good. Obviously, there is not a deep separation and not as defined as true 3D.

Watching broadcast TV on this Samsung is quite pleasant.  Colors are slightly muted but definitely a cut above regular television.  Some programs do emphasize pixilation but in general it is neither annoying nor distracting  Still, high-def TV reception is even, detailed and of good contrast.

Picture noise is a little evident while watching “The Godfather” DVD.  Don’t get me wrong … it’s really not bad since colors are vibrant and blacks deep without any crushing.  Yet, one does tend to notice picture noise more in a large format TV.  My partner, Carlo777, and I constantly discuss the advantages of having a 55” or larger TV.  First of all, you definitely need to watch FULL-HD broadcasts, games and 1080p/Blu-Ray movies/concerts on it to fully appreciate this gorgeous TV.  Anything less than that, say a DVD movie, just misses the point.

Which brings me to watching “Rango” in Blu-ray.  This is now where this TV shines. Colors are vivid and natural.  Hair detail extremely sharp, skin creases visible and the hawks feathers layered.  Skin tones on the animals well-toned, edges sharp.  There were no jagged movements evident during the chase scenes, both horizontally and angled.    

Naturally, the final piece of the puzzle is 3D.  I sampled “Street Dance”.  This is a good as watching 3D in the Cinema.  I turned off all my lights, turned on my Onkyo, fixed my viewing couch and was sucked into the world of make-believe.  Depth perception very thorough, even viewing from 45° angles.  This TV can match the better of plasma rivals.  Contrast are strong, 3D stable without crosstalk, movements precise.  Plus there’s the added bonus of the supplied 4 3D glasses which are not straining on one’s eyes.  I didn’t get any headaches after.  

If there is one drawback to this sexy TV is its sound reproduction.  Well, it is not that bad, actually.  Yet, like ALL slim TVs, sound is and will be always their downfall.  You do need a home theatre system.  

I love this TV.  It’s simply a gem.  Great picture, bright, detailed.  2D and 3D with oodles of depth.  Separation defined.  Alas, it’s going to be difficult to watch movies now in anything less than this Samsung 55”    

Ratings              4½ of 5
FOR  Great contrast, brightness, colors, 2D, 3D playback, features, all in a sexy package.  
AGAINST  Nothing really except the usual slim TV sound reproduction.
VERDICT  It just doesn’t get much better than this.  The future is here now … until, well, next month.

-Review done by mokongR with carlo777

Thanks to Vic of Sights and Sounds for allowing us to review this model.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2012 at 09:47 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
Re: Display 2012 (New review: Samsung UN55ES7500)
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM »
Love them LED's,..

Great review sir,...

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2012 at 01:56 PM »
Welcome back Carlo and sir mokong ;)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2012 at 11:17 PM »
Love them LED's,..

Great review sir,...

LED's getting better ;)

Welcome back Carlo and sir mokong ;)

Thanks Ricky.

Battled a set of health issues and Pneumonia hence my long absence...

I'm better now ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2012 at 11:18 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2012 at 04:51 AM »
LED's getting better ;)

After seeing them side by side, Plasmas, LCDs and LEDs,
and all the different brands and models here in the US,
all I can say is that they do have come a loooong way...
I'll be getting a bigger panel soon for the master bedroom,
and move this unit to my son's room,.. Sharp has great prices,
and somehow can match the picture quality of the Samsung,
but I love the aesthetics of the Samsung, simply beautiful,...

Great review sir,.. Keep 'em coming,..

Be healthy as well sir,...

regards...

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM »
After seeing them side by side, Plasmas, LCDs and LEDs,
and all the different brands and models here in the US,
all I can say is that they do have come a loooong way...
I'll be getting a bigger panel soon for the master bedroom,
and move this unit to my son's room,.. Sharp has great prices,
and somehow can match the picture quality of the Samsung,
but I love the aesthetics of the Samsung, simply beautiful,...

Great review sir,.. Keep 'em coming,..

Be healthy as well sir,...

regards...

Thank you for the kind words! LED TV's like Sharp really  throw a lot of weight in the picture quality department and you're right...The aesthetics of Samsung are stunning.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Display 2012 (New review: Panasonic 42ST30S)
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2012 at 10:38 AM »
Got this plasma last week! Pretty busy hence, the very slow review pace. We will wrap it up later for a full review=)