Author Topic: Dai-ichi Speakers & sub  (Read 490515 times)

Offline Control

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Let your ears guide you!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dai-ichi Speakers & sub
« Reply #840 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 02:02 PM »
The 8" driver seems to have given up already...  :(

Sir, iyan ba yung driver nung plate amp? wawa naman..  :'(

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #841 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 02:07 PM »

Bro, why not get it fixed at Daiichi? Sayang din e. They'd fix it for free. But you'd have to pay for the parts that need to be replaced.  ;D

Bro art,

You are right, I did that last week when I went there (2nd flr of Raon Shopping Cntr), they don't have the drivers anymore and will just rewind it, I also brought with me the amp section and the tech guy there said it'd be better to replace it entirely! As always, I will only have to pay for the parts only (the whole amp and speaker repair), free service!  ;D

Unfortunately the lady clerk cannot give me a quote at that time.  :(

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #842 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 02:09 PM »
Control,

Di sa akin yun plate amp, iba ang may ari nun.

Ito sub na ito sa akin, original ng Dai-ichi yun nakakabit pero medyo nagloloko na talaga sya.  :(

Sayang talaga....

Kita ko nga gainclone ginamit na amp, pero fixed yun freq. cutoff. Hayyy.....
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2004 at 02:11 PM by JojoD818 »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #843 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 06:14 PM »
Pardon me for my stupidity but after close inspection of the sub, I noticed that the sub's amp is the problem and not the driver. The psu drops so low immediately after power on.

Anyoe experience this problem?

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #844 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 06:17 PM »
So just to satisfy my worry that the driver is working properly, I cooked up a gc amp complete with it's own low pass filter. Junks from former experiments just to prove my lowly 8" driver still works.  ;D

Guess what, it works!  ;D Bow ako sa mga Dai-Ichi speakers, matibay talaga at maasahan, yun lang electronics sa amp side ang problem. Well after almost 9 years I think it's time na din to retire and a new amp transplant.

More power to Dai-Ichi!

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #845 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 10:21 PM »
Bought a set from Moses Aaron kanina! Got it for P7,300, DTX 9.5 towers and center, but the rear bookshelves are euros 6 since the DTX bookshelves are out of stock, same specs and price lang naman daw sabi ni Moses & Aaron (yun ba pangalan nila?). 

They had a complete Euros 6 set in stock at P8,600, and we were thinking of buying this set since the difference in price was only P1,300. Pero, sabi ni Moses at Aaron, better pa rin daw yung DTX set since the DTX's smaller drivers have better clarity daw than the larger ones of the euros that are a bit "sabog" daw, and they're a bit suspicious about why Dai-ichi lowered the price of the Euros towers so suddenly and by so much, parang they were insinuating na baka defective daw yung mga ito kaya binaba presyo. Also, since our HT room is medyo small (mga 4x5 m), and di naman kami mahilig sa malakas na bass, sobra na daw yung volume ng Euros, okay na DTX. We tested the sets, and dun sa shop I really couldn't hear any advantage the Euros 6 had over the DTX.

We thought it was really admirable of them to recommend the cheaper set, even if we were prepared to get the costlier one, now that's good salesmanship! Tinanong pa ako, "taga-PinoyDVD ka no?". We also got a Sakura AV-387 for P3,400. Question, pwedo ko kaya ikabit yung Xenon powered subwoofer namin dun sa Sakura amp? Okay na kaya ito for the bass? Di naman talaga ako mahilig sa malakas o maganda na bass eh, kahit sa movies. Sa music naman mostly classical and indie pop lang pinapatugtog ko.

Sabi rin pala nila okay na raw yung gauge 18 na speaker wires kasi maikli lang naman daw yung length from amp to speaker based on the size of our room. Pero hindi ba dapat mas matabang gauge the better?
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2004 at 10:31 PM by Jude »

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #846 on: Dec 10, 2004 at 11:07 AM »
Bought a set from Moses Aaron kanina! Got it for P7,300, DTX 9.5 towers and center, but the rear bookshelves are euros 6 since the DTX bookshelves are out of stock, same specs and price lang naman daw sabi ni Moses & Aaron (yun ba pangalan nila?). 

They had a complete Euros 6 set in stock at P8,600, and we were thinking of buying this set since the difference in price was only P1,300. Pero, sabi ni Moses at Aaron, better pa rin daw yung DTX set since the DTX's smaller drivers have better clarity daw than the larger ones of the euros that are a bit "sabog" daw, and they're a bit suspicious about why Dai-ichi lowered the price of the Euros towers so suddenly and by so much, parang they were insinuating na baka defective daw yung mga ito kaya binaba presyo. Also, since our HT room is medyo small (mga 4x5 m), and di naman kami mahilig sa malakas na bass, sobra na daw yung volume ng Euros, okay na DTX. We tested the sets, and dun sa shop I really couldn't hear any advantage the Euros 6 had over the DTX.

We thought it was really admirable of them to recommend the cheaper set, even if we were prepared to get the costlier one, now that's good salesmanship! Tinanong pa ako, "taga-PinoyDVD ka no?". We also got a Sakura AV-387 for P3,400. Question, pwedo ko kaya ikabit yung Xenon powered subwoofer namin dun sa Sakura amp? Okay na kaya ito for the bass? Di naman talaga ako mahilig sa malakas o maganda na bass eh, kahit sa movies. Sa music naman mostly classical and indie pop lang pinapatugtog ko.

Sabi rin pala nila okay na raw yung gauge 18 na speaker wires kasi maikli lang naman daw yung length from amp to speaker based on the size of our room. Pero hindi ba dapat mas matabang gauge the better?

Thta's what I love about the people at Moses Aaron, they're very honest. Sino nakausap mo, bro? Si Mike kasi ang kaibigan ko dyan e. He's actually my kumpare now. He first made me choose a Sakura 1600 over the 1800 kasi mas maganda daw. That's when the friendship started. Then he recommended to me the DTX 9.5 system. Then he always gives me special discounts. He also told me that the Euros 8 are much better than the Euros 6.  ;D

Now, regarding your question about your Xenon sub, try it at home, if it seems enough na naman at around the middle volume setting, then okay na yan, but if bitin, then you'd have to get a another powered sub soon. And regarding the wire gauges, it's the general rule na mas mataba, the better, but going overboard is also a waste of money. Bass signals are usually the ones that require thicker cables. Maybe you could go a gauge higher than what was recommended to you.  ;D
Making the most of what I've got

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #847 on: Dec 10, 2004 at 11:52 AM »
Jude,

regarding wires and interconnects, checkout the Interconnects section, there are discussions regarding branded and generic/diy wires in there.

Offline @tomicZen

• Collector
  • AtomicZen
  • Liked:
« Reply #848 on: Dec 10, 2004 at 12:19 PM »

pre san mo nabili tindahan yang DTX mo? pati yung Sakura 387 saan din?
@tomicZen

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #849 on: Dec 10, 2004 at 12:25 PM »
Control,

Di sa akin yun plate amp, iba ang may ari nun.

Ito sub na ito sa akin, original ng Dai-ichi yun nakakabit pero medyo nagloloko na talaga sya.  :(

Sayang talaga....

Kita ko nga gainclone ginamit na amp, pero fixed yun freq. cutoff. Hayyy.....

I've posted some shots on my USAudio in their threads after opening up one.  The PSUs are really small for the promised power rating.  I think their drivers will benefit a lot from a more powerful amp with a more adequate power supply.  Their transfomer size is somewhat similar to what I had when I was building a 30-watt rms mono amp.

Regarding a fixed cutoff frequency point, for as long as you can vary the crossover point of your preamp or receiver below that of the sub's fixed point, I see no problem. The problem begins when your receiver also has a fixed crossover point and is higher than what the sub has, you get a hole in the spectrum.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2004 at 12:30 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #850 on: Dec 10, 2004 at 06:56 PM »
av_phile,

true, I've done some checking and the chip used is only capable of 60Wpeak. I tried it using a bigger amp last night and it worked well.

as for the fixed freq cutoff, I think the best is to still have a means of adjusting the subs cutoff freq so it can be used not just for a certain receiver. I have this old habit of moving my subs from HT to hifi so it's a must for me to have freq adjustments and even phasing. But that's not a problem anymore, this old Dai-Ichi sub is subject for a makeover once I had the time.

Offline Jude

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #851 on: Dec 11, 2004 at 10:23 AM »
All systems go na Dai-ichi DTX-euros 6 set ko! Actually, mukhang ok rin naman tunog ng euros 6 bookshelves. Nagkamali kasi ako ng una at yung front channels yung nakabit ko dun sa kanila, di ko namalayan na dun lang pala sa bookshelves lumalabas yung sound, malakas na kasi.

It's true na medyo lacking nga ng bass yung DTX towers, when I turn off the subwoofer, obvious yung difference sa bass level.

Offline jdg

• Collector
  • divx addict!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #852 on: Dec 11, 2004 at 09:51 PM »
may pics ba kayo nung DTX tower speakers? i've searched this thread na and wala na akiong makita. :(

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #853 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 10:49 AM »
may pics ba kayo nung DTX tower speakers? i've searched this thread na and wala na akiong makita. :(

I do, but di kasi ako marunong mag attach ng pictures. Guys, help?  ;D
If you have an e-mail ad, I can send it to you thru that.

Offline jdg

• Collector
  • divx addict!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #854 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 11:30 AM »
send mo na lang sakin sir!
[email protected]

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #855 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 01:30 PM »
Just sent it bro.  ;)

Offline jdg

• Collector
  • divx addict!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #856 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 02:26 PM »

ganda pala ng DTX :o may iba pa bang color nito? ;D

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #857 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 03:13 PM »
ganda nga. pwede rin kaya i-sand fill yan gaya ng ginawa ng mga diamond 8.3 owners.
btw, ano nga pala effect ng sandfill sa speaker? thanks

Offline tigershark

• Apprentice
  • i love this site =)
  • Liked:
« Reply #858 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 04:37 PM »
P7,300 ba yan lahat na nasa picture? pwede ba sakura 387 gamitin dyan?

thanks  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jude

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #859 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 12:41 AM »
Cross posting this on the DTX-Sakura combo and Dai-ichi threads since different sets of people read them and I want to get as much feedback as I can, I hope that's ok.

After 3 days of trying out my Sakura 387 + DTX towers/center + Euros 6 bokshelves + Xenon subwoofer combo, here are my observations:

Here's how I have it set up in a room approx 9 feet by 12 feet. The towers are placed on the floor around 5 feet apart, around 2 inches away from either side of the TV, around 2 feet from the back wall and 2 feet from the side walls. The center is on top of the TV, around 5 feet above the floor, in the middle of the towers, same distance from the back wall. The sub is on a low table around 1 foot high, at the middle left side of the room, between the towers and surrounds, half a foot away from the left wall. The surrounds are on shelves on either side of the room around 5 feet off the floor and 6 feet away from the towers. Used gauge 14 Audio Pro speaker wire from Deeco for the towers and gauge 14 studio grade speaker wire from ACE hardware for the other speakers. Used Quantum banana plugs from Electronics Depot to connect the speaker wires to the amp. Haven't done bi-wiring yet (parang ang komplikado eh). I'll try to post a pic of the entire setup kapag mas final na. I usually sit around 5 to 6 feet away from the towers, ka-level ng surrounds. Using Skyworth DVD player as source.

Have no complaints regarding the setup's performance for movies. Wow talaga. Medyo telephone-call-sounding nga lang yung dialogue from the center speaker at first pero eventually naging ok na.

Music is another matter though. Firstly, ang boomy ng towers! Medyo nalalakasan ako sa bass, it has the tendency to drown out the other details. Or maybe hindi lang talaga ako sanay since before I've been doing my music listening mostly just through Sennheiser earbuds or a 2.1 Creative multimedia speaker set with the sub turned way down, medyo lo-fi talaga. Based on my perception, I sort of prefer the bass that's coming out of the Xenon sub than what's coming out of the DTX towers. The towers seem to be lacking a bit in the midrange and highs. So I tend to rely on the Sakura's stereo to 3 channel or 5 channel function, this turns on the center and surround speakers which seems to have clearer midranges and highs and are able to compensate for the towers' shortcomings.

Do you guys think that the speakersm especially the towers will still improve after further breaking in or if I try biwiring them? Any volume or bass/treble settings I should try on the Sakura amp? The loudest volume setting I've gone so far on the Sakura is a main volume of -34 for 5.1 AC-3 sources and -28 for stereo. I usually set the surround volume 2 steps lower and center volume two steps higher. I set bass at -2, treble at +2. Sub volume is at 2/3 of maximum.

By the way, 5.1 mixed music sounds a lot better than plain stereo with the setup. So far to me, stereo music sounds a lot better using the euros 6 bookshelves (which I use for the surrounds) than the DTX towers, which makes me wonder what the euros 6 towers must sound like.

So any advice regarding what I can add or change to improve the setup? I'm contemplating using our massive old Sony Laserdisc player to play CDs instead of the DVD player in case it'll be a better source.

Mahirap pala malulong sa hobby na ito, nakaka-obsess! Nagpapaka-audiophile na rin tuloy mga kapatid ko! :) Daming pinapa-canvass sa Raon.

Offline Yakuini

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #860 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 08:59 AM »

ganda pala ng DTX :o may iba pa bang color nito? ;D

Me black color yan kaso Dai-ichi and label nya and not DTX. They uses the same driver, not sure about the cross-over though. As with the price, pareho lang siguro.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #861 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 11:01 AM »
Jude,

Kung boomy, buksan mo at lagyan ng fiberfill to dampen the bass. yun nga lang trial ang error. plus you may void any warranty you have.  :)

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #862 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 11:38 AM »
P7,300 ba yan lahat na nasa picture? pwede ba sakura 387 gamitin dyan?

thanks  ;D ;D ;D

Yes, to both your questions.  :)

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #863 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 11:48 AM »
sir arthur nakuha mo na ba yung Euros8 mo?  ;)

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #864 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 11:52 AM »
Cross posting this on the DTX-Sakura combo and Dai-ichi threads since different sets of people read them and I want to get as much feedback as I can, I hope that's ok.

After 3 days of trying out my Sakura 387 + DTX towers/center + Euros 6 bokshelves + Xenon subwoofer combo, here are my observations:

Here's how I have it set up in a room approx 9 feet by 12 feet. The towers are placed on the floor around 5 feet apart, around 2 inches away from either side of the TV, around 2 feet from the back wall and 2 feet from the side walls. The center is on top of the TV, around 5 feet above the floor, in the middle of the towers, same distance from the back wall. The sub is on a low table around 1 foot high, at the middle left side of the room, between the towers and surrounds, half a foot away from the left wall. The surrounds are on shelves on either side of the room around 5 feet off the floor and 6 feet away from the towers. Used gauge 14 Audio Pro speaker wire from Deeco for the towers and gauge 14 studio grade speaker wire from ACE hardware for the other speakers. Used Quantum banana plugs from Electronics Depot to connect the speaker wires to the amp. Haven't done bi-wiring yet (parang ang komplikado eh). I'll try to post a pic of the entire setup kapag mas final na. I usually sit around 5 to 6 feet away from the towers, ka-level ng surrounds. Using Skyworth DVD player as source.

Have no complaints regarding the setup's performance for movies. Wow talaga. Medyo telephone-call-sounding nga lang yung dialogue from the center speaker at first pero eventually naging ok na.

Music is another matter though. Firstly, ang boomy ng towers! Medyo nalalakasan ako sa bass, it has the tendency to drown out the other details. Or maybe hindi lang talaga ako sanay since before I've been doing my music listening mostly just through Sennheiser earbuds or a 2.1 Creative multimedia speaker set with the sub turned way down, medyo lo-fi talaga. Based on my perception, I sort of prefer the bass that's coming out of the Xenon sub than what's coming out of the DTX towers. The towers seem to be lacking a bit in the midrange and highs. So I tend to rely on the Sakura's stereo to 3 channel or 5 channel function, this turns on the center and surround speakers which seems to have clearer midranges and highs and are able to compensate for the towers' shortcomings.

Do you guys think that the speakersm especially the towers will still improve after further breaking in or if I try biwiring them? Any volume or bass/treble settings I should try on the Sakura amp? The loudest volume setting I've gone so far on the Sakura is a main volume of -34 for 5.1 AC-3 sources and -28 for stereo. I usually set the surround volume 2 steps lower and center volume two steps higher. I set bass at -2, treble at +2. Sub volume is at 2/3 of maximum.

By the way, 5.1 mixed music sounds a lot better than plain stereo with the setup. So far to me, stereo music sounds a lot better using the euros 6 bookshelves (which I use for the surrounds) than the DTX towers, which makes me wonder what the euros 6 towers must sound like.

So any advice regarding what I can add or change to improve the setup? I'm contemplating using our massive old Sony Laserdisc player to play CDs instead of the DVD player in case it'll be a better source.

Mahirap pala malulong sa hobby na ito, nakaka-obsess! Nagpapaka-audiophile na rin tuloy mga kapatid ko! :) Daming pinapa-canvass sa Raon.

First of all bro, this is the major problem with Sakuras, they don't employ the usual 'equal power for all channels' philosophy. Sakuras usually have better and more powerful amps for the front channels than the rest of the channels. Try reducing the bass on your amp and see if it would improve the clarity, this is also where biwiring would help a lot. Kasi in my experience with the DTX 9.5 system, clarity and detail is great, bass is the only weakness. I think it sounds muffled because you're sending too much bass on your fronts. Believe me when I say the problem lies with your amp. You need a lot of tinkering and adjusting to get the desired sound. That's the problem with analog amps. A lot of PDVDers have had a wonderful experience with this set up and I don't see any reason why you wouldn't. Try using those speakers with digital amps and then you'll see, the speakers are just fine. It's the amp that needs adjusting.  ;D

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #865 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 11:58 AM »
sir arthur nakuha mo na ba yung Euros8 mo?  ;)

Not yet bro. On the 25th pa sana kasi I wanna see it muna in real life before I buy it, I'm in Bacolod kasi e. Sa December 25 and 26 pa kasi kami uuwi e. I plan to look at it at the Megamall showroom on that day then buy it from Moses Aaron. But Mike told me closed sila on the 25th and the 26th, so it's either I buy it at Megamall on the 25th/26th or buy it at Moses Aaron on the 27th at ipapadala na lang via cargo.  ;D

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #866 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 12:01 PM »

Me black color yan kaso Dai-ichi and label nya and not DTX. They uses the same driver, not sure about the cross-over though. As with the price, pareho lang siguro.

They're the same bro, balat lang ang nagkaiba. ;D

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #867 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 12:34 PM »

Not yet bro. On the 25th pa sana kasi I wanna see it muna in real life before I buy it, I'm in Bacolod kasi e. Sa December 25 and 26 pa kasi kami uuwi e. I plan to look at it at the Megamall showroom on that day then buy it from Moses Aaron. But Mike told me closed sila on the 25th and the 26th, so it's either I buy it at Megamall on the 25th/26th or buy it at Moses Aaron on the 27th at ipapadala na lang via cargo.  ;D

cge sir and i am pretty sure you will like its performance.  remind ko pala na u need to bring a car with a big compartment, medyo malaki yung box and speaker that it would not fit inside the trunk.  :)

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #868 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 12:36 PM »
sir arthur if you go to Megamall and audition the Euros8 can you please post your comments dun sa center speaker nila.  I plan to buy one din sana, kaya lang because of the Christmas rush medyo kulang sa time. Thanks in advance.  ;D

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #869 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 03:45 PM »
We plan on bringing a willy's jeep. But I think what will happen is I'll just audition them then i-oorder ko na lang sa kumpare ko on the 27th tapos ipapaship ko na lang via cargo, kasi ganun din e, makaka-save ako ng 7% sa Moses Aaron, but sarado sila on the 25th and 26th, sa megamall, walang additional 7% discount. Ang mangyayari nyan, parang yung na save ko, mapupunta din sa shipping, kasi baka mahirapan kami sa eroplano, but we'll see. But definitely, I'm buying the whole set, towers, center then 3 pairs of bookshelfs, so audition I will. Thanks, bro.  ;D