Author Topic: KENWOOD AVR  (Read 67378 times)

Offline spiderdude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: KENWOOD AVR
« Reply #240 on: Jan 18, 2005 at 07:25 PM »

Hi fellow Kenwood owners!!! My AVR is the KRF-9060D gold color. I bought it last 2002 in SM megamall. It may suprise you all but my reason why my dad, I and my gf chose the KRF-9060D is because its the store nearest to the parking area from where we came(5th ave). The salesman showed us the KRF-9060D and we fell in love with it.  As time passes by I soon realize that this AVR I bought is one of the best AVR based on the value and quality.  Everytime i search the net and look at the other ppl's AVR it seems that the KRF-9060D is better.

I am a beginner in this HT stuff so I really appreciate if you could help me in my questions. I am really really sorry

My current set-up is:
DVD: Pioneer DV-535K
Front: MS 902
Center: WH-2 series
Surround: WH-2 series
Sub-woffer: DQ-12

Guys any comments with the speakers? compatible ba? sorry kung cheap lang I am still a student kc.

2. My family friend is selling me his Wharfedale modus one.six for 7,000php. He told me to use it as my front and put my MS 902 at the rear. Based from the review mukhang maganda yung W. Modus. Guys what do you think of the Wharfedale modus? compatible ba?
http://audioholics.audioreview.com/speakers/main-speaker/Wharfedale/PRD_123689_1594crx.aspx

3. When do i use the DSP? I dont see the difference so much

4. When I watch DVDs...how come when I use the Listen mode there is no DTS? I can only use the DTS if I manually change it from the menu. Sometimes di pwd pa rin kahit na change ko na sa menu. 

3. When I moved my MS 902 to the rear...panu ko gagawin if I have 2 speakers eh I only see one that can fit at the back?

4. When I watch basketball games panu ko marinig yung dribble and footsteps...dati kc yung salesguy was at my home nagawa yun di ko alam now   

5. From what I observed CS II is the best compared to Neo6 and PrologicII plus with Active EQ Music/Cinema its better pa. Now for my next question is how you will improve the TV sounds? Wiring na lang ba kailangan?

6. Whats the best wiring for this AVR? And which is better Co-ax or Fiber optic? Mine is fiber optic

7. What is a Kenwood 6-ch amp? I see it here sa thread kc. Do I need it when I have a 6ch na? How much and where can I buy?

8. Based on your previous post pwede maging 7.1 yung setup but which speaker can I use for the 7th channel? Subwoffer ba? and which brand(yung best buy)?

9. Is the THX of the KRF-9060D good kahit this is the cheapest THX AVR? Aside from the 6th speaker? What is the requirement to fully maximize the THX capability? When I use the THX...nawawala yung Active EQ and Speaker EQ so I assume THX can be very good on its own if fully maximized. 

10. Aside from the Bass shakers posted by nels76...are there any stuff I can add to make my set-up better that is not expensive. 

Well I think thats all as for now. You cant imagine how happy I am seeing this thread. Accdg to the salesguy in 5th, Cito Beltran has also the same unit as us. Thanks guys sana isama nyo ako sa club kahit kaunti alam ko!

Spidey fan? Join groups.yahoo.com/group/spiderman_philippines

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #241 on: Jan 19, 2005 at 12:25 AM »
Spiderdude,

Fellow Kenwood Owner here (9060D din kaya kabisado ko unit na 'to).

Let me answer some of your questions.

1. I have an All-MS setup as speakers except sub.   

9060D is intolerant with regards to speaker impedance. Kung gusto mo tumagal   iyan, use only speakers with impedance not lower than 8 Ohms. Compatible ang speakers sa 9060D if the speakers has impedance not less than 8 ohms.
Comptibility with regards sa sound, ikaw lang makakasagot niyan. Kung nagagandahan ka sa tunog, ok na yan.

2. Di ko pa narinig ang Wharf Modus so no comment ako diyan. Ikaw pa din makakasagot niyan. Use MS 902 as front then compare using Wharf as Front, kung alin ang maganda, iyon ang gamitin mong fronts.

3. Di maganda DSP ng 9060D. Noisy ang dating sa akin. I dont use it.

4. Changing from Dolby Digital to DTS and Vice Versa can only be done when you change surround mode on the DVD Player and not on the Receiver. Kung wala pa din, maybe the DTS Tracks is defective. I have one DVD here na walang sound pag DTS ang pinili.
Use this receiver's Auto Detect Mode so that you just have to switch on the player between surround modes and not on the receiver anymore.

5. Yes indeed. CSII sounds better than DPLII and DTS NEO. Ginagamit ko din yan pag nagpapatugtog ako.

6. Minsan ang ganda ng tunog nasa Source din. Pangit ang TV Broadcast Sound quality if you ask me kaya hindi ganon kaganda tunog when connected to a receiver. Some of the TV Channels transmit mono signal kaya hindi favorale pakinggan

7. Co-ax or Fiber Optic halos hindi ko madinig difference. I am using Co-ax for DVD player and Optic for PS2. Pareho naman tunog.

8. Please elaborate on the 6 Channel Amp

9. 9060D has 7.1 Pre-out. Use an external stereo amp. Connect the 6th and 7th pre-out of the 9060D to the external stereo amp to power the 6th and 7th surround speakers positoned at the back. Whilst the 4th and 5th speakers are positioned on the side.

10. I am using THX on my 9060D very seldom. Lakas kasi ng BASS pero more enveloping ang sound and more body. Naaawa kasi ako sa Sub kaya di ko ginagamit THX. Pag nakabili na ko bago sub gagamitin ko na THX. Well, THX mode of this receiver is satisfactory naman. May improvement talaga when you engaged it. I haven't heard THX mode of hi-end receivers so di ko masasabi kung pangit iyong THX ng 9060D. Engaging THX means that you are using THX approved sound processing kaya namamatay iyong Speaker EQ and Active EQ. THX sound processing lang ang gumagana.

11. Get additional amps from pier and use it to power the fronts. You will hear an improvement. Before, hollow tumunog iyong 9060D ko when it handles all the speakers by itself. I get an amp from pier and used it to power the fronts, the sound is much fuller now even on loud scenes. Worry free ka kahit na loud volumes na matagal.

I am very satisfied with my receiver din. No problems pa din. It is turning 2 years this march.

Enjoy. 
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline spiderdude

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Jan 19, 2005 at 03:15 AM »
Thx nels :)

9. 9060D has 7.1 Pre-out. Use an external stereo amp. Connect the 6th and 7th pre-out of the 9060D to the external stereo amp to power the 6th and 7th surround speakers positoned at the back. Whilst the 4th and 5th speakers are positioned on the side.

11. Get additional amps from pier and use it to power the fronts. You will hear an improvement. Before, hollow tumunog iyong 9060D ko when it handles all the speakers by itself. I get an amp from pier and used it to power the fronts, the sound is much fuller now even on loud scenes. Worry free ka kahit na loud volumes na matagal.

Where can I buy and which brand will I get for these amps?  And how much?

Offline spiderdude

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Jan 19, 2005 at 03:59 AM »
Seems like many encounter the same problem as i do with the DTS or DD from the DVD based on the link you posted...
http://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/624.html

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Jan 19, 2005 at 07:19 AM »
Yu can get Surplus Amp from Pier.

Price ranges from 4k to 7k depending on the rated power comsumption.
Mine is a SONY 333 ES Amp.

You can get a Denon, Sony, Sansui or Onkyo Brands.

Kuha ka 2 Amps - The 1st one powers the front and the 2nd one powers the 6th and
7th Speaker. Thereby, you'll have a 7.1 setup.

Pag naka 7.1 ka na, you can now engage THX Surround EX Mode. Ganda tunog niyan parang Greenbelt 4. he he he

Di ko na-e-experience iyang DD/DTS Prob. Always naka-FULL AUTO ang receiver ko.

Offline spiderdude

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Jan 19, 2005 at 12:44 PM »
Thx nels...I better save now. I will buy first the Wharfedale modus then il buy 2 the Amps. 

Cool any Amp can be compatible to the Kenwood AVR pala. :)

Offline spiderdude

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Jan 22, 2005 at 09:03 PM »
kenwood-9060D owners...anu  mga interconnects gamit nyo sa HT set-up nyo from the AVR, power amp and speakers? What kind of Co-ax fits best with the AVR?

Offline dvh

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Jan 23, 2005 at 12:44 PM »
kenwood-9060D owners...anu  mga interconnects gamit nyo sa HT set-up nyo from the AVR, power amp and speakers? What kind of Co-ax fits best with the AVR?

Mine is Kenwood 806S...

gamit ko for all speakers are gauge 12 oxygen-free cables...

when watching DVDs gamit mo optical cable...
when listening audio CD, DVD audio im using co-ax...

Offline johndoe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Jan 24, 2005 at 12:02 PM »
anong kenwood avr ung availble sa pier? 8)

Offline spiderdude

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Feb 16, 2005 at 09:47 PM »
Guys, ask ko ulit....I read sa thread natin. Di pwd ang 6ohm speakers sa AVR natin but when I read the catalog ng wharfedale 9 series, compatible raw?

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Feb 17, 2005 at 09:48 PM »
Just to be safe, sundin mo na lang kung ano nakalagay sa
likod ng AVR mo. nakalagay doon ang speaker impedance requirement.

Andito na pala sa atin ang successor ng KRF-X9060D which is the KRF-X9080D.

Mas-mahal ng P2k.

May capability na ito to process HD Signal.

Offline ndy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • [OIIIIIIIO]
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #251 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 03:01 PM »
mga sir nabsa ko n tung buong thread pero di na mention tung model na to na kenwood krf-v5560d, ano po ba comment nyo dto? obsolete na ba? 2yrs ago ko sya nabili may kapakage na speaker na kenwood din ang upgrade ko lang nagawa e nagpalit ako ng active subs n polytron ok naman kesa dun sa dati na kulang na kulang. kakaread ko kasi sa thread kaya feeling ko luma na at talagang maganda yung 9060d. yung kuha ko nga pala 2yrs ago e 36k. tsaka kung sakali di pa ko magpapalit pwede rin ba yung kabitan ng "bass shaker"? medyo nagisip ako dun parang astig e. tnx.

tahimik din pala dito.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2005 at 10:28 AM by ndy »
jeep[____]
l--l---0lllllll0-
0_)-0_)--o-)_)

Marantz SR7011
Cambridge Audio CXA61
Wharfedale's
SVS

Offline 24bit

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Mar 11, 2005 at 08:31 PM »
Parang di rin nabangit KRF -X9050D model. Looks like same specs sa 9060D?

I have checked the manual of KRF - X9050D THX select din, what I don't understand is written in the manual na 150W x 5 at 8 ohms if use all channel then pag stereo 110W x 2 at 8 ohms. Is this correct? And pag enable ko THX nya parang mas mahina more controlled yung sound. Can somebody help me understand this receiver? Thanks in advance.

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Apr 02, 2005 at 10:47 AM »
I dont know kung ano pinagkaiba ng 9050D and 9060D.

Wag ka na magpalito diyan sa nakasulat na specs sa papel.
Reference lang iyan and minsan di pa accurate.

Tingnan mo na lang rated power consumption sa likod ng receiver mo.

Say, power comsumption is at 400W, then it means that your receiver
must not produce audio power over 400 watts.

Kung gaano siya kalakas kumain ng kuryente, mas maliit lang ng kaunti sa rated power consumption ang kaya niyang ilabas.

Offline theman

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Sep 27, 2005 at 04:38 PM »

guys i am selling my kenwood VR6050 receiver.  please look at the link below:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=42344.0

maybe you could vouch for the performance and the quality of kenwood to your friends.

thanks,

theman

Offline ndy

• Collector
  • [OIIIIIIIO]
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #255 on: Apr 28, 2006 at 04:11 PM »
anu na kaya nangyayari sa kenwood wala ako makita mga bago nila products puro pang in car at handheld lang makita mo sa malaysian website. wala din sila support ata sa mga old models nila tsk tsk.

dapat siguro may website na din kenwood philippines/super manufacturing cant help but compare to other receiver brands na lagi updated sa websites nila. :(
jeep[____]
l--l---0lllllll0-
0_)-0_)--o-)_)

Marantz SR7011
Cambridge Audio CXA61
Wharfedale's
SVS

Offline Bigchan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: Sep 23, 2006 at 01:56 AM »
hi there K. User

need help about my KRF-9080D-X.  confuse kasi ako about sa volumen control nang AVR na ginagamit ko. minimum volume is -80 and max is +10db. from -80 nakakadinig lang ako nang sound pag umabot na nang mga -50 to -40 (ballad pero parang whisper), -25 to -10 (party mode) for me this is my normal volume range.  -9 to +10 usually ginagamit ko ito for dvd movie and to some audio na mababa talaga ang source.

sa mga analog volume controller or speaker volume controller most of the time hanggang 50% ang max volume na ginagamit ko. lumagpas man ako nang 50% i will say na mahina ang source ko.

in my AVR it's seems im out of my standard setup of max 50. whenever i compute for the average volumen control. im thinkin that my average volume should be -35db. im confuse na umaabot ako nang
 -10db para lang ma satisfy. tama lang ba na from -80db nakakarining lang ako nang sound pag -40 and above. is there a problem with my AVR?, mali ba na ang average volume ko is -35?  what are the procedure, method na miss ko. why am experiencing this?

pls enlighten me.. TIA

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2006 at 11:17 AM by Bigchan »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Sep 23, 2006 at 08:25 AM »
AFAIK, most AVR volume controls these days are digital and behave more logarithmically and accurately across its entire range than analog volume controls.   The lowest db point is always a MUTE setting. O db indicates a volume setting referenced to the amp's rated power and THD as published.   Above that, in the +db area, is already the amp's heardroom with THD increasing exponentially.   And it is not unusual to hear nothing from the lowest to around -50db. 

On modern gears using digital volume control, I have observed that from the lowest db to the control's MIDpoint, the attenuation is small, typically just around 20%.  From thereon, the attenuation becomes seemingly more linear and more pronounced to around 60% as your reach the 0db point.  So that most useful listening happens above the midpoint.  On your set, with a control range of 90db which is quite wide compared to others, its midpoint would be -45db; I wouldn't be surprised that usefull listening starts upwards from there. 

OTH, with rotational analog pots, this logarthmic behavior is often less than ideal and nowhere accurate except maybe on the better designed  gears.  With the right input voltage, most behave logarithmically just up to the 12 or 1 o'clock position  and reach their rated power and THD at the 11 o'clock position.  Anything above that gets an increasingly massive dose of THDs.  So it's typical to have useful listening between 9 and 11 o'clock positions.  And it is often used as a marketing ploy at the showroom in the past:  "hey look, it sounds so loud already at 9 o'clock volume, imagine how much louder it gets at full volume."  All I can say is that they'd get rubbish at any level after 11 o'clock.  ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2006 at 12:24 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline theman

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 04:29 PM »

i am now offering this receiver with daiichi slim line speakers.  please check my post at buy and sell section. you could email me at [email protected]

receiver is very good. for me, it is better to use circle surround than pro logic 2.  you could adjust at bass level.

guys i am selling my kenwood VR6050 receiver.  please look at the link below:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=42344.0

maybe you could vouch for the performance and the quality of kenwood to your friends.

thanks,

theman

Offline ganicru

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
Kenwood KRF-X9090D at P28.3K
« Reply #259 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 08:18 AM »
http://www.kenwood.eu/products/home/separates/avcc/KRF-X9090D/

Mga Bro,  baka nakakalimutan nyo na na may Kenwood AVR pa. Kenwood one of the best brand in audio of the 80's until now.   This particular model is THX certified 7.1 channel, with auto room calibration parang adaptiQ ng Bose. The surround sound quality is really room filling as if you're in a movie house, of course together with your complete speaker system.

Try nyo mga Bro. Got mine from Western Marketing Festival Mall. On sale ito used to be P34K.Konti na lang yata ang stock. Very much appreciated sa Europe at Australia.
Panasonic PV70
Bose acoustimass 7, vcs10, mdl100x3
Velodyne CHT 8R
Kenwood KRF X9090D
Sony BDP S

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Kenwood KRF-X9090D at P28.3K
« Reply #260 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 07:35 PM »
Wow. they are back again.
The 2003 model KRF-X9060D (VR-6070) in US received so much praises from users
who are members if ecoustics.com. That receiver also received a 5-star rating
from Sound and Vision Mag on August and November 2003.

The praises of VR-6070 from ecoustics posters made the most active and longest thread back in 2003.
I wonder kung may tumalo na doon.

FYI, I have the KRF-X9060D which still sounds great on movies until now.
5 years na sya sa March 2008.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2008 at 07:35 PM by nels76 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 02:21 PM »
Pretty good price for a THX class AVR!!! Excellent!

Offline gunblade977

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #262 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 08:23 PM »
Mejo buhayin ko itong Kenwood AVR thread ha.
Anybody here tried there kenwood avrs with wharfade speakers? particularly , 9.1 as fronts then WH2/3 as rear and center, thanks.
I just auditioned the rf-x9090D at western marketing in Festival mall and I'm impressed, but they used Mordaunt speakers. I was jsut wonderin if it would also be the same for the wharfes.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Jan 27, 2008 at 09:28 AM »
I am guessing you saw this at 5th ave shop.  Just be cautious about buying anything from them.  In my experience they have a lousy after sales service.

I don't see any problem pairing a Kenwood or any receiver brand with a Wharf as long as their impedances match.

Offline ganicru

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:50 AM »
Mejo buhayin ko itong Kenwood AVR thread ha.
Anybody here tried there kenwood avrs with wharfade speakers? particularly , 9.1 as fronts then WH2/3 as rear and center, thanks.
I just auditioned the rf-x9090D at western marketing in Festival mall and I'm impressed, but they used Mordaunt speakers. I was jsut wonderin if it would also be the same for the wharfes.

Got mine from Western Marketing Festivall Mall. Now hooked with my all Bose speaker system with velodyne sub, now working very hard because of THX certified Kenny. Sound is so clean, with dialogue come to life even in highly intensive action scenes. Complements my 42PV70 Plasma Panny and DV 400 Pioneer DVD player.

Try nyo ito.
Panasonic PV70
Bose acoustimass 7, vcs10, mdl100x3
Velodyne CHT 8R
Kenwood KRF X9090D
Sony BDP S

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 02:45 PM »
Revive natin itong thread! Just got a VR-7070 (US version ata of KRF-X9070D) as a gift from my bro and I would say this receiver is one of the most underated model on the market. I was completely taken by surprise on how good this receiver performed for it's price. Truly one of the best buy in a/v receivers.  :o
Before, I just stick to the name brands like Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon and honestly don't even try to audition Kenwood ( a case of "me too" attitude perhaps). Actually, I was requesting a Yamaha or Denon amp (again!) from my bro, but due to limited funds and a very good value offered for a THX Select receiver, I reluctantly obliged.
Boy! was I glad I did obliged. When set-up properly, I was amazed at how clean and clear the sound is. Whether for movies or music and even in tuner! The best part is, how cheap this receiver can be had in the US compared to the more famous brands.
One tip I can share is, add 2 power amps and use the front, center, and center back pre-outs of this baby and you got one hell of a high end pre-pro/power amp set-up!! But, as a stand alone receiver, it's still very good and I thought much better than a similar priced or level Onkyo or Yamaha receiver.
I know some will snob the Kenwood brand but you must try it first and compare with similar level/price other brand and see what I mean.  ;)     

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 02:55 PM »
Got a VR-7070 (KRF- X9070D dito satin) from my bro sa US recently and I can vouch with what ganicru observed with this receiver. I was totally surprised with it's performance since I wasn't exactly expecting much from a Kenwood a/v receiver. But now I think this must be one of the best buy of the century for me!!  ;D Oh, do try to add power amps to this baby and you would experience a higher level of performance, comparable to the $1000+ famous brand receivers out there.  :o The new models I think supports HDMI now.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 03:10 PM »
Got a VR-7070 (KRF- X9070D dito satin) from my bro sa US recently and I can vouch with what ganicru observed with this receiver. I was totally surprised with it's performance since I wasn't exactly expecting much from a Kenwood a/v receiver. But now I think this must be one of the best buy of the century for me!!  ;D Oh, do try to add power amps to this baby and you would experience a higher level of performance, comparable to the $1000+ famous brand receivers out there.  :o The new models I think supports HDMI now.

Congratz! Bro to your new Baby.... ;D 8)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 08:28 PM »
 congratz! Sir for your new toy... ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 10:25 PM »
I actually got a kenwood 6 channel thx amp, it was released in 1996 but it still rocks, weighs like a rock to at 50 pounds :o I also got the matching pre-pro but unfortunately the lcd remote which also serves as the main control got busted. Now i have the amp connected to a denon :) Which by the way is up for sale..guess what company is interested? hehe