Author Topic: Popcorn Hour A-400 #1 3D Dual Core, New VXP Processor, iPad Integration, NMJ  (Read 62881 times)

Offline jcsantamarina

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Nung bata ako bro! Hehe.. BF Pque hometown ko, but I'm based in Ortigas na now. Sayang I was in Sta. Rosa pala last week.. Anyone from this area with a copy?

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Even the old A200, A210, A300 (which do not have Cinavia implementation) won't pass that specific title.  The TrueHD audiostream bug of that title seems to be a BD authoring issue -whenever the stream switches from one seamless branch to another, the microsecond switch somehow messes up the HD audio - but not other (non-HD) audiostreams which unfortunately are not in English except for the Director's Commentary.

Cinavia does not need to be implemented without BD Licensing, if I understood correctly.  Hence, if the current FW does not have BD-J/Full BD Navigation enable, there should be no Cinavia (yet).  That's total non-sense to have a crippled Simple BD combined with Cinavia - nobody's gonna buy the A400 if that happens. 

Tama basta wala bluray license and bluray menu wala din cinavia.

If anyone is planning to buy popcorn hour this is the time. As you might know Sony is aggressively pushing Cinavia encryption for all the devices coming out post 2012. If they need Blu ray license they need to implement Cinavia. I don't know much abt Cinavia but this is a audio encryption where the player will mute the audio if its ripped or recorded via hadicam....but at least Sony relented and given permission to media player manufactures to play blu ray rips without Cinavia and blu ray license. the only catch is you will not be able to play full Bluray menus. So there will never be a media player in future which will implement full BD menu support if it doesn't implement Cinavia, which means BD ISO will not work. I know you can get rid of the BD menus and save almost of 50% in file size (20 GB as apposed to 40 GB full BD rip), but i have few movies which is worth having 40GB size...

PCH has announced a new model A-400 which can play 3D ISO with new sigma SMP8911 processor. The specs really looks impressive but this doesn't have blu ray license hence no Cinavia and hence no full BD menu support.

I just hope my A-210 will not give up on me :-)

Source: http://www.hifivision.com/media-streaming-players/29905-popcorn-hour-full-bd-menu-support-going.html

Nung bata ako bro! Hehe.. BF Pque hometown ko, but I'm based in Ortigas na now. Sayang I was in Sta. Rosa pala last week.. Anyone from this area with a copy?

Kung walang bluray menu sa iso na iplay mo so ibig sabihin it does not have bluray license ano no cinavia implemented.  ;) ;)
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
^^Actually, I haven't been keen on getting full iso's because of my limited storage options and measly bandwidth. So... I'm really enjoying the A400 based on: PQ and SQ improvement, NMJ organization, iPad integration (IMDB and Movie details), (limited) Apple AirPlay compatibility, ease of use for wifey. The last point trumps all the previous ones! Hahaha..

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
^^Actually, I haven't been keen on getting full iso's because of my limited storage options and measly bandwidth. So... I'm really enjoying the A400 based on: PQ and SQ improvement, NMJ organization, iPad integration (IMDB and Movie details), (limited) Apple AirPlay compatibility, ease of use for wifey. The last point trumps all the previous ones! Hahaha..

;) ;)

Buti na lang bro we just ask lang naman para sa mga kukuha din if ever implemented nga or the player has a bluray license or bluray menu.  ;) ;)
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
;) ;)

Buti na lang bro we just ask lang naman para sa mga kukuha din if ever implemented nga or the player has a bluray license or bluray menu.  ;) ;)

Yup. Understood. Would really love to help out and confirm for you pag meron file. If I can manage to get my hands on one, will try it out and update this thread.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Yup. Understood. Would really love to help out and confirm for you pag meron file. If I can manage to get my hands on one, will try it out and update this thread.

Thanks bro para din sa future user ng A400.  ;) ;)
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Regarding the Total Recall problem.  Reasons why I dont think it is a Cinavia issue but rather BD authoring issue are as follows:

1. Even under Simple BD mode (where Cinavia detection should be bypassed if not totally non-existent), same TrueHD stream problem occurs at exactly every seamless branching point. 

2. The workaround to that TrueHD audio problem is to switch fast among the audiostreams.  Once you return to Audio 1 (TrueHD), OK na ulit ang sound until the next seamless branching point.   However, it was freaking annoying because there are like 5 or 6 non-English audiostreams that you have to rotate through in order to go back to the TrueHD under Audio 1.   Imagine, pindot ka ng pindot ng Audio button sa remote every 5 mins or so.  Buti nalang meron subtitles kaya during that period where you try to fix the HD audio by toggling through all audiostreams, you just read the subs.   ;D

3.  Maski yung prime Remuxing groups, a workaround was to transcode (losslessly) the TrueHD to DTS-HDMA.  Somehow, it appears na mas problematic talaga ang decoding ng TrueHD even for proper AVRs.  It worked.

Therefore, dont waste your time testing a Full BD rip of that title.  The A400 will definitely fail in the same way as other players do - but that's not attributable to the A400 itself.

Hope everyone understands that if you are only going to watch MKV (including Remux) on the A400, Cinavia should not be of any concern.  ;)  The encoder or transcoder will rectify that for you.

Again, as long as the A400 is only capable of Simple BD Mode, there is no sense in implementing Cinavia.  Kaya suspense talaga what will happen in case PCH enables BD-J/Full BD Navigation.

Yung HD-Audio dropouts and subtitle issues for Full BD rips under Simple BD Mode, kayang-kayang ayusin yan ng PCH via FW updates.

Best solution of course is to buy the original Blu-Ray.   ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2013 at 07:37 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline xb24

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
Anybody encountered this issue? Or did he just get a bad box?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq57fdAzbjg

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Regarding the Total Recall problem.  Reasons why I dont think it is a Cinavia issue but rather BD authoring issue are as follows:

1. Even under Simple BD mode (where Cinavia detection should be bypassed if not totally non-existent), same TrueHD stream problem occurs at exactly every seamless branching point. 

2. The workaround to that TrueHD audio problem is to switch fast among the audiostreams.  Once you return to Audio 1 (TrueHD), OK na ulit ang sound until the next seamless branching point.   However, it was freaking annoying because there are like 5 or 6 non-English audiostreams that you have to rotate through in order to go back to the TrueHD under Audio 1.   Imagine, pindot ka ng pindot ng Audio button sa remote every 5 mins or so.  Buti nalang meron subtitles kaya during that period where you try to fix the HD audio by toggling through all audiostreams, you just read the subs.   ;D

3.  Maski yung prime Remuxing groups, a workaround was to transcode (losslessly) the TrueHD to DTS-HDMA.  Somehow, it appears na mas problematic talaga ang decoding ng TrueHD even for proper AVRs.  It worked.

Therefore, dont waste your time testing a Full BD rip of that title.  The A400 will definitely fail in the same way as other players do - but that's not attributable to the A400 itself.

Hope everyone understands that if you are only going to watch MKV (including Remux) on the A400, Cinavia should not be of any concern.  ;)  The encoder or transcoder will rectify that for you.

Again, as long as the A400 is only capable of Simple BD Mode, there is no sense in implementing Cinavia.  Kaya suspense talaga what will happen in case PCH enables BD-J/Full BD Navigation.

Yung HD-Audio dropouts and subtitle issues for Full BD rips under Simple BD Mode, kayang-kayang ayusin yan ng PCH via FW updates.

Best solution of course is to buy the original Blu-Ray.   ;D

I have 3 Bluray software kasi powerdvd, arcsoft TMT and WinDVD. The powerdvd and arctsoft mute and cinavia message appear since the two software has a cinavia implementation. With windvd i did not experience the said issue as cinavia still not implemented. So i belive this is not an issue on the problem every seamless branching point.

Ill try to remux this one if i have time AFAIK there should be no issue as long as you extract the video and audio in one. I have also some remux with TrueHD and no problem encounter i remux them myself and some leech from FS group and no issue. I use HTPC not NMT in playing that's why i encounter cinavia.

;) ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2013 at 07:56 AM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
New firmware out!
« Reply #189 on: Jan 21, 2013 at 08:56 AM »
Download the new firmware here: http://www.popcornhour.com/download/A400/firmware-A400.html

Release date : 18 January 2013
Firmware version : 05-01-130118-24-POP-422-000

1. Known Issues
   - Myihome is running when it shouldn't (already disabled internally)
   - Updating Samba to 3.6.10 to fix issues with SMB2 (working on it)
   - Playing a DVD with DD over Avr and then play any file with PCM gives just noise
   - Sample Cars with TrueHD stops at some point and buffers before it continues again (already fixed internally, will be in next release)
   - Sample King Kong with DD+ Video doesn't run smooth (already fixed internally, will be in next release)
   - External subtitle is shown inside the movie instead of black bar at the bottom (Working on a better solution)
   - BD with TrueHD when switching next/prev chapters cause audio out of sync
   - BD with TrueHD when keep on pressing Info/Title button will get audio drop issue
   - Seamless branched BD will auto switch back to default audio tracks when change to next chapters
   - BD audio does not always follow BD language set at setup page

2. Firmware
   - Fixed Some MP4 files with AAC let the framework crash
   - Fixed some mkv with embedded HD idx/sub (vobsub) freeze when first subtitle should show up, disabled this feature for now
   - Fixed mkv chapter limit, increased from 62 to 128 chapters
   - Fixed buffering icon blinking on screen after seek
   - Fixed buffering icon blinking issue even on local hdd with some high bitrate mkv files (Jellyfish Samples up to 120Mbps)
   - Fixed Planet.Earth.-.S01E12.-.Desert.Lions_Not_Smooth.mkv sample with VXP turn on cannot playback smoothly
   - Added MKV with MVC support (2D only for now)
   - Added bookmark support for iso files

3. System
   - Fixed next or previous info crash issue in File browser
   - Fixed unable to access NMJ and Jukebox Manager from File browser
   - Fixed Total item in the Filebrowser listing do not update after perform Delete function
   - Fixed Unable to perform Ascending/Descending function in Filebrowser if only one Local device is connected
   - Added slow transfer over samba fix from Network Test Firmware
   - Added show HDD space and size in File browser
     - Fixed Show wrong HDD size. Happen on 3TB HDD
   - Added uninstall NMT App at NMT App Wizard
   - Changed vm.min_free_kbytes=4096 to vm.min_free_kbytes=16384
   - Removed default bold for small font feature in 05-01-130110-24-POP-422-999

4. NMJ
   - Fixed French word is corrupted at help "general"
   - Fixed some entry missing from database after update scan via read-only nfs
   - Fixed last screen capture for full HD video and show at NMJ last watched
   - Removed default Photo Image in Wall view mode
   - Updated Polish Translation

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:

I haven't encountered this issue. Maybe he just needs to restore to factory settings then do the firmware update. However, if that doesn't work he could have his unit replaced since it is well under warranty.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Ok got it. This means that specific title has both Cinavia AND BD authoring issue.   The fact that my PCH didnt detect/show any Cinavia message proves that it is not implemented in the 2xx, 3xx series, but unfortunately, the BD authoring issue is certainly there.  Hence, although audio never gets totally muted during the entire playback via PCH, it gets mumbled at every seamless branch point.

Since that title is actually watchable (albeit inconvenient) via a PCH, therefore, a fully enabled PCH is not only a topnotch NMT but can be arguably better than HTPC in many important aspects?    ;D ;D.  It also proves the advantage of an NMT that can actually handle seamless branching BDs.   ;)

Thus, fingers crossed for a fully-enabled PCH-A400, and same fingers crossed that none of my A2xx conks out.

The transcoding workaround from TrueHD to DTS-HDMA applies to this specific title as well.  However, I have also noticed that TrueHD tend to be problematic sometimes even though the AVR is OK, while DTS-HDMA is always OK.  Just look at the latest FW fixes related to audio.  I guess that's because there is core DTS in DTS-HDMA while nothing is embedded in TrueHD - but I find TrueHD sound to be better and more refined.

I have 3 Bluray software kasi powerdvd, arcsoft TMT and WinDVD. The powerdvd and arctsoft mute and cinavia message appear since the two software has a cinavia implementation. With windvd i did not experience the said issue as cinavia still not implemented. So i belive this is not an issue on the problem every seamless branching point.

Ill try to remux this one if i have time AFAIK there should be no issue as long as you extract the video and audio in one. I have also some remux with TrueHD and no problem encounter i remux them myself and some leech from FS group and no issue. I use HTPC not NMT in playing that's why i encounter cinavia.

;) ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2013 at 02:33 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Grabe.  I thought the stuttery playback of Full BDs that I observed last month was already terrible.   (Take note, the guy was playing files over 20GB big)

Oh well, more FW updates please.

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Grabe.  I thought the stuttery playback of Full BDs that I observed last month was already terrible.   (Take note, the guy was playing files over 20GB big)

Oh well, more FW updates please.

Alan,

The latest firmware is great. I can now play files that I got from you :D

What I like with PCH is support :) new firmwares appear in less than one week :)
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
Alan,

What I like with PCH is support :) new firmwares appear in less than one week :)

+100 (hehe..)

I experienced the audio drop outs and stutter when I first played the unit when I got home. But after upgrading the FW, it was buttery smooth already. I think it also helped that I did not have any "Auto" settings on. Selected each Video and Audio option to maximize my HT setup.

I also found a few BD ISO files in my collection (btw, they don't appear in the NMJ, is that normal?).. and they played fine. It's just that selecting them goes straight to the movie. No BR Menu.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2013 at 09:17 AM by jcsantamarina »

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Alan,

Fernan, pati mga full BD rips pwede na? Full Menu or Simple BD playback?

Offline jao143

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Fernan, pati mga full BD rips pwede na? Full Menu or Simple BD playback?

Sir Arn,

Simple BD playback lang eh....
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Since that title is actually watchable (albeit inconvenient) via a PCH, therefore, a fully enabled PCH is not only a topnotch NMT but can be arguably better than HTPC in many important aspects?     .  It also proves the advantage of an NMT that can actually handle seamless branching BDs.

Yes it can arguably but it will never be better than HTPC as HTPC ha smany option in playing HD movies. Over all NMT in simple way is better. IK never encounter any issue on my HTPC even in branching BD's folder or iso.  ;) ;) ;)

The transcoding workaround from TrueHD to DTS-HDMA applies to this specific title as well.  However, I have also noticed that TrueHD tend to be problematic sometimes even though the AVR is OK, while DTS-HDMA is always OK.  Just look at the latest FW fixes related to audio.  I guess that's because there is core DTS in DTS-HDMA while nothing is embedded in TrueHD - but I find TrueHD sound to be better and more refined.

This is where the HTPC has an advantage with NMT since as for my experience all audio can be played with my HTPc without any issue. You can use different player on a HTPC box. You can tweak the HTPC anything you want.  ;) ;)
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
Sir Arn,

Simple BD playback lang eh....

Simple bd pa din? May directions kay pa to full bd ? What's stopping it kaya
toy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Simple bd pa din? May directions kay pa to full bd ? What's stopping it kaya

AFAIK pag full BD kasi as discuss here you need a BD Licensing. Pag may BD licensing ka na may cinavia implementation ka na din.
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
AFAIK pag full BD kasi as discuss here you need a BD Licensing. Pag may BD licensing ka na may cinavia implementation ka na din.

Patay kang bata ka! I like full bd menu , buti pa Yung c200 puede pa din, problem ko Lang 3d Iso ayaw
toy

Offline busabos

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
I just got an A400, everything seems okay except that it automatically turns on when the power on the surge protector is turned on.  actually, it doesnt really turn on, but it appears that it's on idle because the indicator light is on but the TV doesnt detect the device.  I had to turn it on and off a couple of times before it loads porperly, which is I think unusual.  I already updated the firmware, so I'm clueless what to do next.  Any ideas?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
That also happens if the TV and Receiver are already ON PRIOR TO turning on the A400?

Anyway, like most home electronic devices, the A400 is designed to be on STANDBY most of the time and not to be plugged-unplugged like what Pinoys prefer to do in Manila.  That's why there is no power switch in the first place.  The Remote Control is supposed to toggle the unit between On and Standby Mode. 

Also, why do you have to connect an AVR? That unit is powered by a SMALL adapter rated 12VDC at 3.3A output with auto-volt detect primary side (100-240VAC).   If you dont connect an HDD internally, yung power draw nya is even a lot lower because majority of the output power is for an internal HDD.

So my suggested solutions, similar to what I told my wife in Pasig.

1.  Keep it on standby and take it off the AVR to isolate it from the other electronic devices - a device that small wont consume even 20 pesos on standby and it's really too small to require an AVR, not to mention auto-volt na nga yung adapter mo.  Problema kasi if you use an AVR, malamang connected sa same AVR ang TV and Receiver so once you power up the AVR, sabay-sabay pasok sa mga HDMI connected devices.  HDMI Handshake problem is possible.

2.  If you insist on using an AVR, make sure that all connected devices via HDMI - TV, Receiver are fully ON already prior to turning on the A400.  Kung gusto mo talaga AVR, use an individually switched extension chord/power tap for isolation and again, always turn on the A400 last.   That will prevent HDMI handshake issue.  If you always have to turn on - turn off the unit even though running na ang TV and AVR, then there is something wrong with your unit and demand a replacement.

Cheers!

I just got an A400, everything seems okay except that it automatically turns on when the power on the surge protector is turned on.  actually, it doesnt really turn on, but it appears that it's on idle because the indicator light is on but the TV doesnt detect the device.  I had to turn it on and off a couple of times before it loads porperly, which is I think unusual.  I already updated the firmware, so I'm clueless what to do next.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Actually the issue is not with the integration of AVR but the unit not booting up properly.  As I said it loads but it doesnt go through the main page, the light indiocator is lit so it means that it's ON but the TV doesnt detect the unit (even after the loadng page).  This is already my second unit, I already have th efirst one replaced and it seems that it has the same problem.  Probably other a400 users can share if this normal?

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
I tried using a different HDMI cable, plugged the unit on my line conditioner using different ports without the avr and it still does the same thing.  It seems that the TV only sees it during the loading phase then for some reason it cuts off.  Can anyone share how your connection looks like (HDMI and power connection).  This is starting to get really frustrating.

Thanks!

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Actually the issue is not with the integration of AVR but the unit not booting up properly.  As I said it loads but it doesnt go through the main page, the light indiocator is lit so it means that it's ON but the TV doesnt detect the unit (even after the loadng page).  This is already my second unit, I already have th efirst one replaced and it seems that it has the same problem.  Probably other a400 users can share if this normal?

please go to setup page and set the video output to the resolution of your tv like 720p 60hz or 1080p 60hz. don't set the resolution to auto. Thanks!

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
please go to setup page and set the video output to the resolution of your tv like 720p 60hz or 1080p 60hz. don't set the resolution to auto. Thanks!

I've done this but it still does the same thing.  It doesnt happen everytime but it still gets very frustrating that you have to turn it Off and ON to work.  Is that normal?

Offline jao143

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I've done this but it still does the same thing.  It doesnt happen everytime but it still gets very frustrating that you have to turn it Off and ON to work.  Is that normal?

Sir, Try turning the TV and AVR first in order to establish the HDMI connection between the TV and AVR and then turn the a400 next
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
That's exactly what I advised him to do isnt it? 

Eh hindi raw yung timing ng pasok ng power supply sa lahat ng HDMI devices ang problem (but assuming the TV and the NMT and the AV Receiver are all connected to the same AVR, I would imagine na nauuna yung pasok ng kuryente sa NMT before the HDMI connections to the TV and the Amplifier are properly established - which as you know very well with the older A200, A210 and A300 is also a No-No).

Ive seen that thing a lot of times with my Wife, my relatives - bunot ng plug ng PCH, then plug it and it immediately lights up blue (loading dapat) while hindi pa bukas ang TV and/or AV amp - ayun walang kahihinatnatan kahit tuloy tuloy umilaw yung blue light - solution, patayin ulit yung NMT while bukas na yung TV and AV Receiver, and then turn on ulit.

Since I didnt have any problems with the A400 operating it exactly in that specific sequence, and you dont either, and so is the other member I know who owns the A400 - while he's on his 2nd unit already, what else could be wrong?

Ert's advise is very sound as well - it could have been Resolution Error - pero again, I notice that Resolution Error sa AV receiver in 2 cases: (1) the resolution setting of the NMT is not supported by the AVR and/or the TV or (2) naunang mag-on ang PCH sa AV receiver and/or TV -   pero hindi nga rin daw yon so what to do?

Sir, Try turning the TV and AVR first in order to establish the HDMI connection between the TV and AVR and then turn the a400 next
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2013 at 04:32 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

sir, may PAL/NTSC switch ba yung NMT mo? review mo lang din, might help you
toy