Author Topic: Speaker A & B to drive my Speaker, is it possible??  (Read 4011 times)

Offline Zhimiro

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
Speaker A & B to drive my Speaker, is it possible??
« on: Nov 23, 2012 at 07:52 AM »
Hi to all.... ask ko sana if it is possible to hook my unused speaker B output to  drive the highs of my Speaker and hook my speaker A output of the same receiver to drive the lows of the same speaker?

if it is possible would it gives better sound reproduction?

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: Speaker A & B to drive my Speaker, is it possible??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 09:51 AM »
Ah, thats bi amping if im not mistaken.  Some say there is minimal/no difference unless using 2 amps but Yes its possible, just make sure the receiver is set to bi amp, otherwise you will have phasing issues.  Is this an audio video receiver or a stereo amp?  Also dont forget to remove the metal jumper sa speaker, baka masira speakers mo.  Although im sure you already know that, reminder lang naman. ;)
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM »
is that an integrated amp? my 550a's manual says to be able to use both speaker a & b, i should be using 8-ohm speakers. i suggest you also check your amp's manual if there are any notes like that.

Offline Zhimiro

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 01:23 PM »
My amp is a Pioneer 521k receiver and since unused ang speaker B,  then I want this part of the receiver busy, then maybe  I get something good out of this idea...

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 01:36 PM »
if you are using an avr, timi is right, very minimal or no change at all because the power is still coming from the same amp section from your avr.

Offline Zhimiro

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 01:41 PM »
if you are using an avr, timi is right, very minimal or no change at all because the power is still coming from the same amp section from your avr.

Hmm! i see, I thought there's a receiver reserve power for "speaker B" and using it at the same time with speaker A will output more power for better speaker drive...

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 02:13 PM »
Hmm! i see, I thought there's a receiver reserve power for "speaker B" and using it at the same time with speaker A will output more power for better speaker drive...

bypassing the relay and getting output direct gives more power, no losses incurred due to relay contacts, selector switch contacts and the wiring's in between..........sadly this is not recommended due to speaker safety....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2012 at 08:44 PM »
My amp is a Pioneer 521k receiver and since unused ang speaker B,  then I want this part of the receiver busy, then maybe  I get something good out of this idea...
are you sure 521k ang avr mo?walang speaker b ang 521k

Offline Zhimiro

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 01:18 AM »
opps! sorry, looking at the back of the receiver and it was the sorround output channel pala!

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM »
Ah, thats bi amping if im not mistaken.  Some say there is minimal/no difference unless using 2 amps but Yes its possible, just make sure the receiver is set to bi amp, otherwise you will have phasing issues.  Is this an audio video receiver or a stereo amp?  Also dont forget to remove the metal jumper sa speaker, baka masira speakers mo.  Although im sure you already know that, reminder lang naman. ;)

If A and B are made of different power amps (separate amps inside) then that is Bi-Amping... but if A is just being paralleled to B then that will just be Bi-Wiring.

Cheers

Offline Zhimiro

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 05:32 PM »
Hi Sir Jojo, if the receiver has speaker B and use it to drive the HF while Speaker A will drive the LF which would it be? Bi-wire or Bi-amp?

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 07:02 PM »
biwire.... careful though, you can burn your tweeters if you are not careful....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Zhimiro

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 09:31 PM »
biwire.... careful though, you can burn your tweeters if you are not careful....

thank you sir Tony, and since I am not using the sorround output of my receiver, will this be ok to use it for bi-wire and would it have the same power as the speaker A output?

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM »
thank you sir Tony, and since I am not using the sorround output of my receiver, will this be ok to use it for bi-wire and would it have the same power as the speaker A output?

Pre, the sound output of the primary speaker is not the same as the output coming from the surround channel. Thus, using this on both terminals of your speakers will not produce a bi amp. You will be having your highs producing the fronts and the lows producing your surround (or vice versa).

Offline Zhimiro

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM »
Pre, the sound output of the primary speaker is not the same as the output coming from the surround channel. Thus, using this on both terminals of your speakers will not produce a bi amp. You will be having your highs producing the fronts and the lows producing your surround (or vice versa).

ah..ha..ha.. definitely it is a bad idea pala... thanks sir Huddaf...
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM by Zhimiro »

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM »
You can biwire by adding another run of speaker cable but you have to remove the bar connecting the posts.

For single wiring, I suggest to use good quality & size speaker cable and replace the bar with jumper wire like this....

:)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2012 at 07:03 AM »

If A and B are made of different power amps (separate amps inside) then that is Bi-Amping... but if A is just being paralleled to B then that will just be Bi-Wiring.
Cheers

Si Master Jojo naman eh, pumatol pa hehe, but I do have to correct myself, if powered by one amp it is bi-wiring indeed (bi-wiring has been shot down so many times I have trouble understanding why the term still exists in manuals!)

at the end of the day I think you want more power and if that's the case, using one amplifier for the job will not achieve that, kuha ka na lang ng power amp sir, and you wont need to bi-wire, that's almost certain. 

You also mentioned that you do'nt want to have unused terminals at the back of you receiver, I think you might want to reconsider that thought, if you would check the specs of your receiver it would usually say XX wpc @ 2 channels driven, and it was discussed here before that as soon as you use the surround and the center terminals, that XX wpc goes down quite a bit. 
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2012 at 07:13 AM by Timithekid »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Zhimiro

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2012 at 07:11 AM »
Si Master Jojo naman eh, pumatol pa hehe, but I do have to correct myself, if powered by one amp it is bi-wiring indeed (bi-wiring has been shot down so many times I have trouble understanding why the term still exists in manuals!)

probably Sir Jojo wants to differentiate the two for a noob like me for easy understanding.. and definitely it is within the scope of the topic of "using two channel of a receiver to drive a speaker"  ;)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2012 at 07:47 AM »
probably Sir Jojo wants to differentiate the two for a noob like me for easy understanding.. and definitely it is within the scope of the topic of "using two channel of a receiver to drive a speaker"  ;)

Exactly ;D

Besides, one cannot just say bi-wire or bi-amp without knowing if there are actually separate amps for Speaker A and B. You cannot simply dismiss one and say it's bi-wire or bi-amp, di pwede ang simple one liner answer dito unless we know the facts. ;)

If your amp says that you must use 8 ohms when operating Speaker A and B then that is a tell-tale sign that it is just a parallel connection in which case you will end up with a Bi-wire connection. :)

Hahaha with all respects and no pun intended sir. Sige lagyan na lang natin ng suman at tamales ito... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2012 at 07:58 AM »
di pwede ang simple one liner answer dito unless we know the facts. ;)

Hahaha with all respects and no pun intended sir. Sige lagyan na lang natin ng suman at tamales ito... ;D ;D ;D

One liners and tamales...favorite ko talaga yung thread na yan master Jojo...hahaha! 
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2012 at 08:31 AM »
One liners and tamales...favorite ko talaga yung thread na yan master Jojo...hahaha! 

Masarap na informative pa sir... hahaha! Nice to meet you guys, hanggang sa uulitin! 8)