Author Topic: Laos na ba ang BD Players?  (Read 23109 times)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
Re: Laos na ba ang BD Players?
« Reply #90 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 06:29 AM »
but in music, i still believe that a physical copy(cd or lp) is sonically superior than its digital counterpart.....unless you have an impaired hearing sense :)

I disagree. A low jitter playback system can be bought/built that feeds off high quality media that's either locally stored or streamed.

For example, the Bryston BDP-1 runs its internal I2S signalling with jitter levels lower than any CD transport/player that I know of. The transport of this player is so good that using an external DAC (even a very high end one) is likely to hurt it because of interface jitter.

CD rips are generally flawed by the transfer process. High quality media from good providers like Lindberg Lyd can make high end music streamers/players shine.

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013 at 06:35 AM by Stagea »

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #91 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 07:35 AM »
I disagree. A low jitter playback system can be bought/built that feeds off high quality media that's either locally stored or streamed.

For example, the Bryston BDP-1 runs its internal I2S signalling with jitter levels lower than any CD transport/player that I know of. The transport of this player is so good that using an external DAC (even a very high end one) is likely to hurt it because of interface jitter.

CD rips are generally flawed by the transfer process. High quality media from good providers like Lindberg Lyd can make high end music streamers/players shine.

i will not question your knowlege regarding  digital downloads master ivan, for you know digital world more compare to my kindergarden knowledge of such. :)  but an hd music download cost more than a cd album. then its bd vs nmt again and the economics of it.  cd myt be an inferior medium than high def downloads but for lp? it depends on which side of fence are u in. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013 at 07:40 AM by dodie »
WCH CM U?

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #92 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 07:57 AM »
Sa Japan majority of people dont even know what VCD and NMT are kaya OK naman ang market ng BD, although not as big as DVD was. And they need Japanese subs sa non Japanese movies, and since released na ng matagal ang Hollywood and Europe before lalabas ang proper Japanese version, downloading of those kinds of contents are not as bad as music.  Pero malakas ang political clout ng music industry kaya na pass agad yung anti piracy bill na covers all types of downloadable contents.

Anyway buhay na buhay pa rin ang BD sa Japan and unknown pa rin ang NMT.

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 08:21 AM »
As for me it's better to have both world digital and disc.
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline devlin_waugh

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #94 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 10:25 AM »
Anyway buhay na buhay pa rin ang BD sa Japan and unknown pa rin ang NMT.

because Japan is a principle-based country much like other european countries, downloaded content covered by intellectual property rights for them is a no-no and blu-rays are legit thus the preference for buying blu-ray

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #95 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 10:26 AM »
because Japan is a principle-based country much like other european countries, downloaded content covered by intellectual property rights for them is a no-no and blu-rays are legit thus the preference for buying blu-ray

Aside from itunes, is there another site that allows HD download? Obviously i dont download much hence the question...
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline devlin_waugh

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 10:37 AM »
here in the Philippines? there's none that I know of

we have to beef up our IT infrastrucutre so paid video streaming can be a viable option

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #97 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 11:59 AM »
on my own observation, even on the Avatar mkv vs the original BD, i cannot discern the difference even on the audio - probably because i'm not an audiophile, but the point is that if there's a distinct difference, that large a screen and with that high-end audio equipment, even those who are not expert like myself would be able to observe the difference ... hence i would say that with my smaller tv screen and low-end setup, i'd choose a good quality 1080p or BD ISO anytime over a BD/BD player

same observation on the same movie. cannot tell the difference. that's why i never bothered to buy bd's after that. and to think some blockbusters get released numerous times with extra extras that make you spend more, like the avatar extended. waste of money if you only have some to spend.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Jan 06, 2013 at 10:31 AM »

Not entirely true.  In the UK, illegal downloads flourish. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/may/29/british-economy-free-downloads-cost

To quote the first part of the article:

At least 7 million people in Britain use illegal downloads, costing the economy billions of pounds and thousands of jobs, according to a report.

Shared content on one network was worth about £12bn a year according to the research commissioned by the Strategic Advisory Board for Intellectual Property.

The peer-to-peer network had 1.3 million users sharing files at midday on a weekday. If each of them downloaded only one file a day this would amount to 4.73bn items being consumed free each year.

The ability to download or share content is getting easier with faster technologies and greater storage space.

The new 50 megabytes-per-second broadband access can deliver 200 MP3 music files in five minutes, a DVD of Star Wars in three minutes and the complete digitalised works of Charles Dickens in less than 10 minutes

That was in 2009.  Just a note, I highlighted the 50 mbps broadband access enjoyed by UK residents. Sigh  :'(

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2013 at 10:37 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Jan 06, 2013 at 10:35 AM »
same observation on the same movie. cannot tell the difference. that's why i never bothered to buy bd's after that. and to think some blockbusters get released numerous times with extra extras that make you spend more, like the avatar extended. waste of money if you only have some to spend.

Same here.  I am sure there are differences if you nitpick on each frame.  But that's not how I watch a movie at home.  Nevertheless, whatever differences there are do not justify the gap between FREE and P1,400 each time.

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2013 at 10:38 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline devlin_waugh

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Jan 06, 2013 at 10:39 AM »
but it also matters on the values of the individual if he really thinks he's getting something for free or outright stealing it...

if one can't afford something why should he be given the privilege to enjoy it if he doesn't pay for it

we rant and rant about squatters and our friendly neighbor electricity/cable pilferers who tap into mainlines and the  same principle i think applies here...otherwise it's a double standard

citing the case of widespread illegal downloads just goes to show that the property owners aka film studios and music moguls should really think of a business model that would adapt to the preference of the customers

on the other hand the public should be proactive in the sense that we clamor for affordable content to support the businesses and not resort to illegal downloads
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2013 at 10:42 AM by devlin_waugh »

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Jan 06, 2013 at 10:52 AM »
Not entirely true.  In the UK, illegal downloads flourish. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/may/29/british-economy-free-downloads-cost

To quote the first part of the article:

At least 7 million people in Britain use illegal downloads, costing the economy billions of pounds and thousands of jobs, according to a report.

Shared content on one network was worth about £12bn a year according to the research commissioned by the Strategic Advisory Board for Intellectual Property.

The peer-to-peer network had 1.3 million users sharing files at midday on a weekday. If each of them downloaded only one file a day this would amount to 4.73bn items being consumed free each year.

The ability to download or share content is getting easier with faster technologies and greater storage space.

The new 50 megabytes-per-second broadband access can deliver 200 MP3 music files in five minutes, a DVD of Star Wars in three minutes and the complete digitalised works of Charles Dickens in less than 10 minutes

That was in 2009.  Just a note, I highlighted the 50 mbps broadband access enjoyed by UK residents. Sigh  :'(

Kahit naman yata anong bansa meron nag ilegal downloads. Private trackers or direct download can't be track easily kaya madami pa din nag DDL lalo na madami ang nag proprovide and mas mababa gastos. Even american's meron ilegal downloader.

Di na ata mawawala ang ilegal downloads.
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline devlin_waugh

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jan 06, 2013 at 11:10 AM »
^agree but we can minimize it

it's up to us here to advocate for either choice --- go free illegal downloads or scrimp and save to afford legal content

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Jan 06, 2013 at 11:31 AM »

I don't think so.  Many Toms, Dicks and Harrys I know went from DVDs to downloads, completely bypassing the BD route.

BD collection?  They're not interested.  They hate discs.  They already have so many CDs and DVDs that they don't want to make additional shelf space for even more discs. 

Their recent music --- no discs, just digital format on their iPods.  After they got used to digital music format, they didn't want any more movies on discs either.

Ever seen how they react when they find out that there are very few BDs that can be easily resumed where they were last stopped?  Utter bewilderment ...  :o     

How true, based on my own experience and which I learned to do when I was with Accenture.  Almost all their IT guys were downloading like crazy and holding garage sales for their old CDs and DVDs. That was in 2008.

BD came at a bad time. The joys of downloading, watching a movie with just a couple of mouse clicks, no more physical collection that clutter my room and collect dust over time, and no more budgeting for discs at Astrovision (are they still around?) will not make me go back to collecting discs.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2013 at 01:49 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #104 on: Jan 06, 2013 at 11:37 AM »
Kung susuportahan ang piracy hindi lang bd ang malalaos.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2013 at 11:38 AM by Timithekid »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Jan 06, 2013 at 12:10 PM »
but it also matters on the values of the individual if he really thinks he's getting something for free or outright stealing it...

if one can't afford something why should he be given the privilege to enjoy it if he doesn't pay for it

we rant and rant about squatters and our friendly neighbor electricity/cable pilferers who tap into mainlines and the  same principle i think applies here...otherwise it's a double standard

citing the case of widespread illegal downloads just goes to show that the property owners aka film studios and music moguls should really think of a business model that would adapt to the preference of the customers

on the other hand the public should be proactive in the sense that we clamor for affordable content to support the businesses and not resort to illegal downloads

Ah, the legal construct of stealing.  It gets various definitions. 

In Canada, for instance, downloading copyrighted content from peer-to-peer networks is legal, but uploading it is not.

For me, the act of stealing is when you break the protection code in a disc (whether BD or CD or DVD) and copy its content.  That would be like breaking and entering, and looting the house.

But the alleged thief, instead of making money out of what he ripped, uploads it online pr makes it available in a peer-to-peer network for FREE.  Canadian laws punishes Robin Hoods, alright. But it ends there. 

As a consumer online, I just download whatever I like that is FREE.  I think there's a big difference between downloading what is free, and breaking the disk protection code to rip the content.  There is also a difference when you download something for personal use, as against downloading something and make money out of it. But I leave that to lawyers to think about. 

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2013 at 01:46 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline inan2151

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Jan 06, 2013 at 08:09 PM »
I doubt na laos na ang BD players. I believe that it will take some time before majority of our countrymen will buy BD players because of the cost thereof, the BD discs and other accessories in order to set-up a simple HT. If the price of the players, the bd discs etc., will become more affordable as in the case of flat tv's, i believe that Filipinos will start buying bd players. Notably, there are still many Filipinos who still buy vcd evidently because of the cheaper price.       

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 12:03 PM »
Ah, the legal construct of stealing.  It gets various definitions. 

In Canada, for instance, downloading copyrighted content from peer-to-peer networks is legal, but uploading it is not.

For me, the act of stealing is when you break the protection code in a disc (whether BD or CD or DVD) and copy its content.  That would be like breaking and entering, and looting the house.

But the alleged thief, instead of making money out of what he ripped, uploads it online pr makes it available in a peer-to-peer network for FREE.  Canadian laws punishes Robin Hoods, alright. But it ends there. 

As a consumer online, I just download whatever I like that is FREE.  I think there's a big difference between downloading what is free, and breaking the disk protection code to rip the content.  There is also a difference when you download something for personal use, as against downloading something and make money out of it. But I leave that to lawyers to think about.

It's not hard to understand what stealing is.  If you steal the owner's property, you get it and he loses it.

But if you only copy the owner's work without his permission, you get a copy, but he doesn't lose his own copy.  Can you be prosecuted for theft?  No.  That's not stealing, that's copyright infringement.  Prosecution should be for copyright infringement under the Intellectual Property Code (and under the Cybercrimes Law when it's already enforceable).

Equating piracy to stealing is propaganda from the American music and movie industry, intended to attach a greater stigma to piracy.  Sumakay naman ang mga Pilipino. 

Ninakawan mo raw sila ng potential profits.   Ang mindset nila, pag nagdownload ka ng isang movie, ninakawan mo na raw sila ng amount equivalent to the price of an original DVD or BD. 

But that view is highly speculative.  Para tumama ang view na yon, dapat pag walang available download, bibili ka agad ng DVD/BD.  Ganon nga ba?  O baka naman pag walang available download, OK lang sa yo, hindi ka rin bibli ng DVD/BD.  Huwag nilang sabihin na bilangin lang nila ang dinownload, nabilang na rin nila ang "ninakaw" sa kanila.

For me, the act of stealing is when you break the protection code in a disc (whether BD or CD or DVD) and copy its content. That would be like breaking and entering, and looting the house.

What if you legally purchased an original DVD.  You want to make a backup copy in case of disc damage, so you broke the encyption and copied it to a DVD-R.

Stealing pa rin?     

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2013 at 12:39 PM by barrister »

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 02:33 PM »
I doubt na laos na ang BD players. I believe that it will take some time before majority of our countrymen will buy BD players because of the cost thereof, the BD discs and other accessories in order to set-up a simple HT. If the price of the players, the bd discs etc., will become more affordable as in the case of flat tv's, i believe that Filipinos will start buying bd players. Notably, there are still many Filipinos who still buy vcd evidently because of the cheaper price.       

Especially since most average household have not even transitioned from CRTs to HDTVs.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #109 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 02:33 PM »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 05:09 PM »

What if you legally purchased an original DVD.  You want to make a backup copy in case of disc damage, so you broke the encyption and copied it to a DVD-R.

Stealing pa rin?     

By your definition, I guess not. 

Equating piracy to stealing is propaganda from the American music and movie industry, intended to attach a greater stigma to piracy.  Sumakay naman ang mga Pilipino.

Ninakawan mo raw sila ng potential profits.   Ang mindset nila, pag nagdownload ka ng isang movie,
ninakawan mo na raw sila ng amount equivalent to the price of an original DVD or BD. 

But that view is highly speculative.  Para tumama ang view na yon, dapat pag walang available download, bibili ka agad ng DVD/BD.  Ganon nga ba?  O baka naman pag walang available download, OK lang sa yo, hindi ka rin bibli ng DVD/BD.  Huwag nilang sabihin na bilangin lang nila ang dinownload, nabilang na rin nila ang "ninakaw" sa kanila

Totally agree.  This was also my position in the good ole days of DVD piracy in Quiapo.  ;D

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2013 at 05:42 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 05:46 PM »
Especially since most average household have not even transitioned from CRTs to HDTVs.

3 years na lang ang taning ng mga analog CRT TVs dito.

The National Telecommunications Commission officially announced in June 2010 that DTT in the Philippines would utilize the Japanese ISDB-T standard, and issued a circular stating that the country's broadcasters must discontinue their analog services by the transition deadline of 11:59 p.m. (Philippine Standard Time, UTC+8) on December 31, 2015.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_in_the_Philippines

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2013 at 08:41 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Armz316

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #112 on: Mar 09, 2013 at 10:08 PM »

i think bd's players won't die down any time soon, i have seen & heard people at Tri-noma say that bd players are great! And people prefer to watch bd disc than dvd. :) :D

Offline inan2151

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Mar 15, 2013 at 08:01 PM »
I agree. i'm sure that in a few years, the cost of bdp's, bd's and the accessories thereto will become more affordable such that people will prefer buying bd's over dvd's. 

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Mar 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM »
i think bd's players won't die down any time soon, i have seen & heard people at Tri-noma say that bd players are great! And people prefer to watch bd disc than dvd. :) :D

If it's High Definition vs. Standard Definition we're talking about, then of course HD is much better than SD.  If it's BD vs. DVD, then yes, BD is much better than DVD.

But BD is not the only way to access HD movies.  What if it's a question of BD players vs. media players? 

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM by barrister »

Offline devlin_waugh

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Mar 18, 2013 at 08:02 AM »
^appliance stores don't carry NMTs because big brands don't manufacture them

which says a lot on how the industry perceives the content being played in them and how they're not treating it as something that can grow their business

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Mar 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM »
WDTV players are available at appliance stores.

A lot of the new TVs now have media players built-in.  Those big manufacturers surely see it as something that can boost sales.   

^appliance stores don't carry NMTs because big brands don't manufacture them

Some of the big brands manufacture media players.

Sony - SMP-N200 Streaming Media Player
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SMP-N200-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B005MR6CNK

Panasonic - DMP-MS10 Streaming Media Player
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMP-MS10

Philips - HMP5000/12 HD Media player
http://www.philips.co.uk/c/blu-ray-dvd/built-in-wi-fi-hdmi-usb-2.0-hmp5000_12/prd/

LG - SP520 Network Media Player
http://www.lg.com/us/blu-ray-players/lg-SP520-network-media-player
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM by barrister »

Offline xgh0st12x

• DVD Guru
  • Reboot nang reboot! Punyeta, puro na lang reboot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #117 on: Mar 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM »
/\

Sa mga SM appliance stores, Astone yata ang NMT na carry nila.
Formerly SonOfKratos

Offline devlin_waugh

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Mar 19, 2013 at 08:23 AM »
WDTV players are available at appliance stores.

A lot of the new TVs now have media players built-in.  Those big manufacturers surely see it as something that can boost sales.   

Some of the big brands manufacture media players.

Sony - SMP-N200 Streaming Media Player
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SMP-N200-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B005MR6CNK

Panasonic - DMP-MS10 Streaming Media Player
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMP-MS10

Philips - HMP5000/12 HD Media player
http://www.philips.co.uk/c/blu-ray-dvd/built-in-wi-fi-hdmi-usb-2.0-hmp5000_12/prd/

LG - SP520 Network Media Player
http://www.lg.com/us/blu-ray-players/lg-SP520-network-media-player

those are not sold locally...much less sold in local appliance stores

also they're designed more for markets that have legal streaming content and high speed bandwidths available and not torrent downloads which NMTs store :)
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2013 at 08:36 AM by devlin_waugh »

Offline mujacko2002

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 678
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2013 at 01:29 PM »
Mabuhay!

For me, i am enjoying the fruits of my hard work. i don't care if people thinks its becoming laos. Laos lang yan kapag wala nang nagpro-produce ng BD discs. hehehehehe.  O0
God is good all the time!!!
mypalhs.com
planetromeo.com