Author Topic: Any Ice module (class D) amp users?  (Read 21720 times)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline dom_08

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Any Ice module (class D) amp users?
« Reply #61 on: Jun 30, 2013 at 03:32 PM »
thanks StageA and ATJr! :)
Sherbourn SR-120
SVS M-Series-02 (MTS, MCS, MBS)

Offline R

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I love boobies
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jul 16, 2013 at 08:13 AM »
Any comments on these ICE modules for car audio? Iniisip ko kasi baka puwede to gamitin para sa next project ko. Yung speakers ko:
100w 8ohms para sa tweeter
100w 8ohms para sa midrange
200w 4ohms para sa midbass
So kailangan ko 6ch total. Not sure kung magdadagdag pa ako ng sub, pero maghahanap pa ako.

Dom, since kilala mo naman ako.. I'll speak my mind: although power is cheap nowadays. ICEPower modules aren't. Frankly, you're better off with less watts and more efficient drivers. Less power compression that way ;)

Although I have a ton of power running through my speakers, I know I'm not utilizing even 80% of it. I just threw it there since it'll collect dust kung nakatambak lang sa bahay. Most often than not, your tweeter and midrange are sucking less than 20W in day to day cases.
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2013 at 08:15 AM by jhnkvn »
Probably dropped a studio condo-equivalent amount on audio gears #theaudiojourneycontinues

Offline eXg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Deserve the Best!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Aug 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM »
too excited with this new toy to re-type here so I hope you don't mind  if I share this na lang. talagang SULIT!   

I got interested with digital amplified sound the first time I heard them: Sonic Impact, Dayton 50w, and Kama Bay Scythe (still on active service).  Call that infatuation or love-at-first-audition.   I got very curious if there are more powerful ones, without the hissy cooling fan, yet maintaining its unique sound.  Something that can be used for parties, PA applications; yet compact, portable, BUT within budget :).

Opportunity knocks (funds!) when my brother needed one.  Glad to have stumbled on this thread and after some discussions, we embarked on this project.  With funds allowing it, we managed to squeeze in a buffer (an afterthought but an exotic triode buffer at that!).  I love what buffer does to amplification, tracing this fascination to my reliable Musical Fidelity X10D v1.  Simply put:  RELAXED, EFFORTLESS presentation.   [Plug: Once, JojoD built an SS buffer, with dual output, proving that buffering/impedance matching need not be tube-based to do what it does!]

TIMELINES:  chassis bending/painting/punching, wooden enclosure took a looooooong time to finish; circuitry was a breeze for Lester.  But the long wait was worth it (this project started in May).

[/img]

TESTS:  Tried with two pairs of Sony 8-ohm, 100w Fullrangers in parallel, some bulky PA 2way horn speakers (one 12" woofer box and another with 15" woofer).  MJ's Billie Jean on my android rocked 'em good!  Prospect of foot-tapping is very achievable.   With hesitation, I also hooked up 2-way bookshelves (86dbs) and a pair of passive 10” subwoofers (with their own low pass filters), again driving all 4 in parallel.  SUCCESS!   Adding a mixer (to test other inputs like guitar, keyboard, mics) in the signal chain further added gain.  With Android CP only, this can already fill some dance floors with inviting music! (Other sources can pump out bigger gain than CPs.)

BOTTOMLINE: Are requirements met?

1. Effortless-ness: YES. Smooth.  And of course, that unique, crisp signature digital sound.

2. Compactness/Portability:  NO (with its massive trafo and hardwood clads, this beast is heavy); if my brother likes the vintage look, he may decide to shell it in a glass cabinet to fend off scratches, anyway.    Vintage and rugged-looking need not invite abuse  ;).

3. Power: YES, YES, YES. Oozing ~both in RMS and in my confidence!

4. SQ:  LIKEd the sound!   Initially, I thought it was bright and was already considering tweaking but after taking it home, it sounded just right with my other audio stuff and in my listening room.   Thus, zero tweak, straight from factory.   Early listening reminded me of my experience with Musical Fidelity A200. Kind of pointless to compare with my other amps (tubes PushPull/SETs, SS, GainClones) ‘coz it’s subjective without the sophisticated tools.   But I trust my ears :) and its bias towards clear mids and tight bass (if I am ever forced with trade-offs on the frequency range).

I fancy technical innovations in the area of audio amplification and miniaturization. With triode tube and puny chips in the circuit, "Analogized Digital" makes a potent tandem.  Wooden enclosure lends "analog" touch and softens the LEDs' glares.  Mesh vents on the side panels allow for natural cooling.  Feeling ko parang Vin Diesel’s vintage Charger body with a modern supercharged V8 engine, LOL.

Builder's craftmanship?  Will let the pics speak for themselves.   And Lester can ably expound on the amp's technical details and build (and bumps along the way like shielding):

Unity-Gain-Tube-Buffered Class-D Amplifier Prototype
Tube: 1 x 6N3 (replacements: 396A/2C51/5670/6385/6CC42/6N3P)
Input Impedance:  100k Ohms
Minimum Load Impedance: 4 Ohms
Output Power: 250W RMS per channel

SALAMAT Lester , for satisfying my curiosity and to my brother for giving this opportunity to explore.   The sad part is the looming claim of its rightful owner.   Mabuti na nga yan at baka ma-develop pa from infatuation to true love :).   

Soon it will be “parting as sweet sorrow”.   But for now, the party goes on.

Offline alientbelt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • NGC224
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 01:51 PM »
i have done 2 kits already for pdvd members....one is yellow and the other red....i ussually do not comment on my builds, i let the end-user do the commenting, if he liked it i am happy for him.... ;)

Hello Sir,  its very nice to see this amplifier module here (we called it DR100W_PA module),  thank you for choosing it.   I just make its own thread here today    http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,183383.msg1986028/topicseen.html#msg1986028
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2013 at 01:52 PM by alientbelt »
The trouble with life is - there is no background music

Offline dom_08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Sep 15, 2013 at 03:25 PM »
Dom, since kilala mo naman ako.. I'll speak my mind: although power is cheap nowadays. ICEPower modules aren't. Frankly, you're better off with less watts and more efficient drivers. Less power compression that way ;)

Although I have a ton of power running through my speakers, I know I'm not utilizing even 80% of it. I just threw it there since it'll collect dust kung nakatambak lang sa bahay. Most often than not, your tweeter and midrange are sucking less than 20W in day to day cases.
pm. ;)
Sherbourn SR-120

Offline ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #66 on: Oct 02, 2013 at 11:02 AM »
Bro Dom_08 ikaw nakakuha ng ice amp ni sir Nelson? How is it in your system, share naman dyan pati set-up kung ano gamit.

Offline dom_08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Oct 04, 2013 at 12:54 AM »
bro ndotcom,

yup ako nakakuha nung ice amp.

current build is:

XiangSheng DAC-01 with Sylvania 5670 tube
 - Marantz CD-60 through spdif/coaxial (using Monster THX video rca cable)
 - iTunes, windows pc via USB  (iTunes out of convinence, if may recommendation kayo na player, let me know)

B&O Ice Power Amp
 - connected to tube out of XiangSheng using Monster THX video rca cable

Celestion 9
 - connected to ice amp using Van Den Hul CS122 cable

plans:
upgrade speaker cables (longer speaker cables and properly terminated)
change interconnects

basic impression with the amp:

i have no problem playing any songs from different demo/compilation disks like Focal, Chesky and DALI and local like Up Dharma Down, Gloc-9 and Noel Cabangon.  Parang nabawasan yung pagka laid-back sa vocals (Think of Me, Phantom of the Opera motion picture sound track,  Danny Boy, Jacintha, Best of Groove Note), pero hindi pa rin nakakapagod sa tenga ang highs.  Ang nagustuhan ko rito after upgrading from modded SMSI is improved low end, hindi pang party, but i guess that's the limitation of the celestion, since nung napakinggan ko using bro Nelson's Klipsch, ang accurate ng low frequencies.  naging mas energetic ang tunog in general.  may mga bago ako naririnig na hindi ko napapansin dati like mga string plucking, umuubo or clap or mga pumipitik. 

tried listening to Pink Floyd, Incubus, Phoenix, Nirvana and Deftones, again hindi nakakapagod makinig and dinig mo lahat ng instruments and ok ang separation.  focus of each intstruments, minsan umuusog left or right pero hindi malaki, puwede pa siguro maimprove, pero given my equipment, ok na ok na :)

tinry ko na rin mga ilang chris brown songs and the likes, pati na rin mga avicii at iba pang ministry of sounds, well, i can say na hindi forte ng Celestion ang mga ganitong klaseng kanta. hahaha!  Daft Punk's Random Access Memories sounds great though.

is it a good match with my celestion?  hmmmm not sure, haven't tried other amps. di ko na maalala yung impressions ko with nung naka Pioneer integrated amp ako, and nung nag Sakura AV200T ako.  gusto ko yung av200 kasi may treble/bass control knobs para maadjust ko depende sa mood ko.  in the end, i'm very happy with this upgrade, and i don't think i'll look for an upgrade for my set-up at least for the speakers, amp and pre-amp. 

one of these days try ko how it sounds with the B&W 630i. :)
Sherbourn SR-120

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #68 on: Dec 08, 2013 at 12:41 PM »
Currently using HFX micro class.d 4-channel power amp to biamp my speakers. It uses two 125asx2 modules. Sounds great!

http://www.hfx.at/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164&Itemid=125