Author Topic: Wiredstate Projects  (Read 124735 times)

Offline akyatbundok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Wiredstate Projects
« Reply #90 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 10:32 AM »
congrats to the wiredstate crew for producing a winner.  question guys, which model of receivers have a direct power amp in??  i heard in the session that hans adriane's HK 5500 have it.  are there other receiver brands/models out there that can be used?  thanks!

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #91 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 10:39 AM »
This could be a more affordable option if avr owners want to have their current set sound like tube in audio.

Marantz SR4300 have no "amp in", so how can we, owners of SR4300, be able to use the WS preamp? :)

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 10:52 AM »
How does HK5500 sound with WS preamp?

congrats to the wiredstate crew for producing a winner.  question guys, which model of receivers have a direct power amp in??  i heard in the session that hans adriane's HK 5500 have it.  are there other receiver brands/models out there that can be used?  thanks!

Offline sebman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Guru
  • yes mi lord
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 11:00 AM »
can any of the guys present on the listening session in superman's place.. comment on the results of connecting the preamp on the cd-in port of a receiver .. this would be useful for those who don't have the amp-in feature on their avrs. thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2003 at 11:01 AM by sebman »

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 11:08 AM »
This could be a more affordable option if avr owners want to have their current set sound like tube in audio.

Marantz SR4300 have no "amp in", so how can we, owners of SR4300, be able to use the WS preamp? :)

here is how:

1. plug cd player in pre-amp
2. connect pre-amp to CD "in" via analog
3. for Marantz - enable "Source direct" , for HK choose "Tone Out"
 - this kills pre-amp section of the receiver, and the amp section will only get the "unchanged" signal from the input connections

for volume setting, you can either:
1. max out the volume knob on the Pre-amp
2. control volume via remote on the receiver
*** this is what i plan to do, but don't know the effect on the lifespan of the tube, paging ArnoldC - your advise please***

or
1. Set your receiver to 0dB (at your reference volume - i use 80 dB)
2. Control volume via the WS pre-amp knob

additional disclaimer - since the signal will not go directly to the amp section (although pre-amp is disabled) there is still the chance of the signal being modified, hence use of a pure amplifier will still be recommended

BUT until you do get an amp (tube/SS) this will work, and enable you to enjoy tube sound while you save up  ;)
money is best spent

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 11:09 AM »
How does HK5500 sound with WS preamp?

s2kov, we didnt have the hk5500  in the listening session but he told me that his hk5500 has amp in.  lucky guy, the WS preamp becomes a simple add-on upgrade.

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 11:20 AM »
Iceman90a,

Do i still need to set my receiver (HK) to tone out even i have the amp input?

here is how:

- this kills pre-amp section of the receiver, and the amp section will only get the "unchanged" signal from the input connections

*** this is what i plan to do, but don't know the effect on the lifespan of the tube, paging ArnoldC - your advise please***

or

additional disclaimer - since the signal will not go directly to the amp section (although pre-amp is disabled) there is still the chance of the signal being modified, hence use of a pure amplifier will still be recommended

BUT until you do get an amp (tube/SS) this will work, and enable you to enjoy tube sound while you save up  ;)

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 11:21 AM »
Iceman, thank you for the instruction.

Kanino kaya pwede makahiram para mapakinggan ko sa set ko?  ;D

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #98 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 11:21 AM »
here is how:

or

thanks iceman90a!...

DISCLAIMER: this is not a guarantee that it will improve the sound, especially for receivers w/o amp-in...remember that in effect, since the receiver has a SS pre-amp section, what happens is that even if you set tone settings to 0 for the receiver, the output (which has passed through the tube pre-amp) again will pass thru a SS pre-amp (receiver)...thus, what happens is parang mineral/distilled water passing through two stages - one 1st stage is tube, then 2nd stage is...my suspicion is that the tuibe sound will have a mix of SS and tube (again, my suspicion only, haven't tried it yet)...now, this would depend on the listener...

initial impression of iceman paired with the fase is that the highs were tamed, literally tamed...we played some "bright" vocals...when he used the fase only before, high notes would be annoying at times, but when paired with the tube pre-amp, swabeng-swabe...hoy hoy hoy, hoy hoy hoy!  8)

paging arnoldc and vintage_dog...may logic ba 'to??? don't know if i'm making sense...

thanks again!  8)
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 11:22 AM »
Akyat,

Thanks.... Sorry i misunderstood.... :-\ :-\ :-\

s2kov, we didnt have the hk5500  in the listening session but he told me that his hk5500 has amp in.  lucky guy, the WS preamp becomes a simple add-on upgrade.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 11:36 AM »
Iceman90a,

Do i still need to set my receiver (HK) to tone out even i have the amp input?

para sigurado set mo to tone out. dont know if the volume knob of the receiver will still work if you use the amp in connectors, theoretically they should not and the volume control will be left to the pre-amp.

those with amp-in plugs in your receivers are lucky, less chance of the receiver's pre-amp coloring the signal from the WS pre-amp  ;)

jvm - i don't think may mahihiraman ka ng WS pre-amp, puro "over my dead body" siguro ang sagot na madidinig mo  ;)
money is best spent

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 11:39 AM »

jvm - i don't think may mahihiraman ka ng WS pre-amp, puro "over my dead body" siguro ang sagot na madidinig mo  ;)

...and mine has a new accessory...heavy duty kadena with heavy duty padlock...may bantay na doberman... ;D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 11:50 AM »
I thought so ;D. I think they rather be separated from their GF/wife for a while rather than from their new WS preamp ;D

I hope they extend the special price until January, so if ever there will be leftover from my bonus and hopefully tax refund, I will be able to get one. ;D

Listening session na lang ulit para marinig ang effect sa different amps, lalo na yong wala pang pambili tulad ko. :D

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:00 PM »
iceman90a,

ganda ng set-up mo din.... di ba ibebenta??? heheheh

make me an offer  ;) malay mo...

nice meeting you all - that's the best part of this hobby, meeting likeable people that you can share it with  :)

it's not all about being technically knowledgable on how everything works  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:01 PM by iceman90a »
money is best spent

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:04 PM »
it's not all about being technically knowledgable on how everything works  ;)

tama!...and remember, the red wine, di nabuksan...piyesta kami ni superdad niyan, hahaha!...joke lang...so, bro. yukon, your assignment next time is to bring cork screw...hehehehe!  8)

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:05 PM »
I thought so ;D. I think they rather be separated from their GF/wife for a while rather than from their new WS preamp ;D

I hope they extend the special price until January, so if ever there will be leftover from my bonus and hopefully tax refund, I will be able to get one. ;D

Listening session na lang ulit para marinig ang effect sa different amps, lalo na yong wala pang pambili tulad ko. :D

will try to ask V_D kung pwede i-stretch yung installment offer...thanks!  8)

Offline vintage_dog

• Collector
  • am a tube-head
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:08 PM »
As most of you are aware, we are not a "business entity" but a hobby group of crazy Pinoydiophiles DIY at Wiredstate.com.  We do projects so more folks are able to experience hi-end without the cost.  In fact, for our first project, we sold the first few units below our cost!  For this preamp, we practically break-even if we are to consider the R&D and other personal expenses each one of us spend just to have the products available.

We will try to maintain the price as long as we can, but the key factors are cost of the parts.  All are premium and imported.  In fact, some parts we have are BETTER than parts used in some expensive preamps like Audio Note kit, Conrad Johnson, Jadis, Audio Research and they cost $1,000-3000.  

Design is purist so no components to mess with the sound...what you hear is tube heaven!

Those interested MUST signup at Wiredstate.com:

http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1114&start=90

Demand is VERY high...30 units gone in 10 days, so you have to sign-up now.

Believe us guys, these preamps could easily sell 3x as much with the parts and quality in them.

Back-log is 2 weeks and this may soon be for export.  When that happens prices will be at least $200-300
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2003 at 01:04 PM by vintage_dog »

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:12 PM »
actually may magandang sinabi si Sir Vintage:

all of you guys (shown in the picture) are guaranteed the same price anytime you buy them...kahit na nag-increase na para sa iba...

ang problema - wala si jvm sa picture dahil naka alis na sya ng mag kodakan, ako naman wala - kasi ako kumukuha ng picture   :'( :'(
money is best spent

Offline vintage_dog

• Collector
  • am a tube-head
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:16 PM »
actually may magandang sinabi si Sir Vintage:ang problema - wala si jvm sa picture dahil naka alis na sya ng mag kodakan, ako naman wala - kasi ako kumukuha ng picture   :'( :'(

hehehe...

let me correct that then:

all those present in superman's den will be extended that offer!

;D

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:18 PM »
Jvm,

hehehehee Grabe pala... pero pwede pa yan sir..

sayang wasn't able to bring my Hk para cgurado na sa sound hehehe.. next time cguro..

Offline vintage_dog

• Collector
  • am a tube-head
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:23 PM »
will try to ask V_D kung pwede i-stretch yung installment offer...thanks!  8)

okay, here's a one-time offer only for those who will book in November:

3-gives (para akong bumbay nito ah!)

P3,500 upon reservation up to November 30

P2,500 by December 15

P2,500 by January 15

post-dated checks required...

Offline yukon

• Collector
  • live and let die!
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:30 PM »
tama!...and remember, the red wine, di nabuksan...piyesta kami ni superdad niyan, hahaha!...joke lang...so, bro. yukon, your assignment next time is to bring cork screw...hehehehe!  8)

hhmmm  ::) puwede na ba yong drill dyan?
jack hammer na kaya?  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:31 PM by yukon »

Offline geko

• Collector
  • buti na lang wala akong pera...
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:30 PM »
yo, guys!

it looked like you had one hell of a grand time last saturday!!!  inggit ako!!!  

sana meron pang susunod para makasama  na ako...  (saka ready na yung CDs na dapat i-do-donate ko saka 'yung calamansi soda na dapat dadalhin ko.)   ;D  

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:31 PM by geko »
just an ordinary music enthusiast.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:33 PM »
sir V_D,

Sir any news on my order?? saw at wiredstate that friday pa sir ready??

Thanks

Offline vintage_dog

• Collector
  • am a tube-head
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:38 PM »
sir V_D,

Sir any news on my order?? saw at wiredstate that friday pa sir ready??

Thanks

Pending Orders:
1. aron - pickup from arnoldc @ makati
2. audionewbie - pickup from arnoldc @ makati
3. June Montemayor - wednesday 11/16, pickup from arnoldc @ makati

available this Friday (12 units):
4. Gabriel (ship to Cebu next week)
5. Hans Adriane (from mickey)
6. s2kov
7. Cris - pickup from Ed at Bicutan (together with 2a3 amo + Fostex MV167)
8. audioboy (julsp168)
9. jon agner
10. RU9
11. runhino2 (from mickey, QC)
12. iceman90a
13. Anthony Audio

your unit is due friday...we will have 12 units available, 10 are committed na so 2 na lang available from this friday's batch...

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:40 PM by vintage_dog »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:41 PM »
Sir Vintage,

Ok sir.. Friday hehehehe ty..

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:45 PM »
hey guys, we're going to have a listening session this saturday in ortigas.  will test the WS preamp on various ss amps.  its probably the easiest way to go into tubes -- use your existing amp ala hybrid.  then later on just add a tube power amp.  we'll see if its possible to use on a receiver... we can compare using a power amp and an integrated amp with amp-in.  

narayan will bring his WS tube preamp & MF ss preamp -- ala barrera vs pacquiao!!  in this corner.... PAK-YEAOWWW... like they say about pac-man, a star is born.  small/lightweight but packs a wallop.  sensya na mga bro medyo masikip sa place ko only 5 guys at a time can really listen properly.  palit-palit na lang.

nga pala sir vintage_dog, do you have a name for it already?
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:59 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:51 PM »
tube life will not be affected by this setup.

this method (which is the only option) could be prone to impedance matching. so you have to find out if full volume on the preamp is better sounding compared to full volume on the amp.

the output impedance of the preamp is 2.5Kohms.

to those who missed the manual, please send me an email at [email protected] and i'll reply back with a manual in MS Office Word format.

Offline vintage_dog

• Collector
  • am a tube-head
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 12:55 PM »
hey guys, we're going to have a listening session this saturday in ortigas.  will test the WS preamp on various ss amps.  its probably the easiest way to go into tubes -- use your existing amp ala hybrid.  then later on just add a tube power amp.  we'll see if its possible to use on a receiver... we can compare using a power amp and an integrated amp with amp-in.  

narayan will bring his WS tube preamp & MF ss preamp -- ala barrera vs pacuiao!!  in this corner.... PAK-YEAOWWW... like they say about pac-man, a star is born.  sensya na mga bro medyo masikip sa place ko only 5 guys at a time can really listen properly.  palit-palit na lang.

nga pala sir vintage_dog, do you have a name for it already?

for the listening session, suggest you use a preamp that has been broken-in, preferably 100 hrs...difference is huge...

as for the name, wala pa nga eh...maybe you guys can suggest an orig name...pinoy na pinoy dapat!

(by the way, we named our 2A3 amp, tubong bastos!)

okay, suggestions please:

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 01:03 PM »
why not TUBONG MAGINOO???  ;D

di ba maganda...may tubong bastos pero may tubong maginoo din???

para maginoo ang pre-amp pero medyo bastos ang power amp...wala ng magsa-suggest...PANALO NA KO!!!...YEHEY!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2003 at 01:03 PM by Superman »