Author Topic: NBA 2013-2014 <FINALS>  (Read 521828 times)

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: NBA 2013-2014 <REGULAR SEASON>
« Reply #1530 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM »
I think the Lakers feel no first tier player is going to sign with the Lakers. And if they drag the negotiations with Kobe, they would lose him as well.  Maybe Lakers mgt feel an overpaid Kobe is better than nothing to show for at all.  :D

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1531 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM »
i don't think jimmy buss thought this one out well enough. How the heck can they lose Kobe to free agency. I'm pretty sure no other team would have given Kobe the same offer.

15m would be where I would say Kobe's value is at right now. No more, no less. I don't want to be a madam auring but I get the feeling that the Lakers will suffer through mediocrity while lolo Kobe is still on the team. I get that they want to show their gratitude to Kobe for all the years he has played for the team but to the tune of 48m for 2 years? Heck no.

I had high hopes for the 2k14 free agency. Now it's all down the drain. Only consolation for me is if the Lakers don't make the playoffs and get a top 7 pick. haha :D
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM by the_w0rks »

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1532 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM »
^^ tumpak ka dyan, ayan pa naman yong hinihintay ko ng pang championship roster ng Lakers (2015,2016 & 2017) .. nawala na lang parang bula :(

cguro hindi na rin kasalan ni Kobe yan.. ang iniisip ko ang lakers mgmt ang nag initiate kaya ganya yong contract.. sobrang aga diba

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1533 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM »
^^ tumpak ka dyan, ayan pa naman yong hinihintay ko ng pang championship roster ng Lakers (2015,2016 & 2017) .. nawala na lang parang bula :(

cguro hindi na rin kasalan ni Kobe yan.. ang iniisip ko ang lakers mgmt ang nag initiate kaya ganya yong contract.. sobrang aga diba

sobrang aga talaga. If i remember correctly, may bird rights pa naman sila kay Kobe so kahit mag-expire pa contract nya, first dibs sila and they can still give the best offer compared sa ibang teams. Dapat hinintay muna nila how Kobe does this season before jumping the gun. Sabagay, bobo moves na ngayon dahil kay Jimmy Buss. hehe

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1534 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM »
Kobe has always had a stranglehold on Lakers management though I don't know why.  Dati pa yan when he threatened to sign with the Clippers in 2004, the it's either me or Shaq, the threat that he was going to be a Bull if they didn't trade for Kidd in 2007. 

Hindsight is always 20/20. But nanalo ba yun Lakers ng title during his last 3yr extension? What was always the problem? Cap space because Kobe's salary has eaten up most of the team's salary cap.  Could this be the same scenario on the new extension?

Offline ayosbathere

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1535 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM »
sobrang aga talaga. If i remember correctly, may bird rights pa naman sila kay Kobe so kahit mag-expire pa contract nya, first dibs sila and they can still give the best offer compared sa ibang teams. Dapat hinintay muna nila how Kobe does this season before jumping the gun. Sabagay, bobo moves na ngayon dahil kay Jimmy Buss. hehe

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe-bryant-on--48-5-million-deal---this-wasn-t-a-negotiation--020919237.html

Offline rusty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM by rusty »

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1537 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM »
Kobe has always had a stranglehold on Lakers management though I don't know why.  Dati pa yan when he threatened to sign with the Clippers in 2004, the it's either me or Shaq, the threat that he was going to be a Bull if they didn't trade for Kidd in 2007. 

Hindsight is always 20/20. But nanalo ba yun Lakers ng title during his last 3yr extension? What was always the problem? Cap space because Kobe's salary has eaten up most of the team's salary cap.  Could this be the same scenario on the new extension?

on the Kobe or Shaq - well, if I was Jerry Buss and I had to choose between Kobe and Shaq, at that point, prime Kobe would be the clear choice over almost-over-his-prime Shaq. The best option would be to keep the two players but since that was not possible, Jerry made the best choice.

on the "ship his ass out" Bynum for Kidd viral video - well...they didn't budge. So, I'm not sure how much of stranglehold he really has on the Lakers. He even said he'd like to play in Pluto. Sadly for the haters, that never happened as well.

IMO, this smells like Jimmy Buss being Jimmy Buss. Stupid, brainless and knows nothing about being a team owner.

____

anyway, first time watching the Blazers this season. Seems like they're all having fun playing with each other. Hope they make it to the playoffs. :)

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1538 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 01:08 PM »
business move. $48m is nothing to what Kobe brings to the franchise in terms of attendance, tv viewers, merchandise etc.. He deserves that money.

well its actually a paycut since he is currently earning $30m this season. compared to $24 per season for that extension. mind you Gasol is earning $20m this season and he is waay overpaid for his current contribution.
+1

It's really the overall financial impact of what a player can bring to the team. Lebron and Kobe earned it.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1539 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 01:09 PM »
on the Kobe or Shaq - well, if I was Jerry Buss and I had to choose between Kobe and Shaq, at that point, prime Kobe would be the clear choice over almost-over-his-prime Shaq. The best option would be to keep the two players but since that was not possible, Jerry made the best choice.

on the "ship his ass out" Bynum for Kidd viral video - well...they didn't budge. So, I'm not sure how much of stranglehold he really has on the Lakers. He even said he'd like to play in Pluto. Sadly for the haters, that never happened as well.

IMO, this smells like Jimmy Buss being Jimmy Buss. Stupid, brainless and knows nothing about being a team owner.

The mere fact that Jerry Buss had to trade Shaq in the first place even though he was not obligated to do so showed Kobe's influence.  Owner merely had to say...make it work.  And that 2007 video tirade, Buss had to interupt his Barcelona vacation for a meeting with Kobe showed it as well.  It still caught Buss's attention and not simply sweep it under the carpet.

Edit:  Buss and Kupchack did look for a trade partner for Kobe.  Apparently it was with Detroit.  And both were asking for Kobe's approval.  So they did budge. ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 at 01:24 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline rexFi

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Vroom
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1540 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 01:39 PM »

____

Right.

So top 3 worst owners would be... 1. Dolan 2. Buss 3... Prokhorov? ;D

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 at 02:27 PM by rex.reyes3 »

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1541 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 01:45 PM »
^^
Well, it wasn't gonna work. Both Kobe and Shaq made that clear. Phil and Shaq were on the same page while Kobe had different things in mind. Something had to be done. I think what did it for Jerry Buss was Shaq's demand of "pay me now". Then when he wasn't extended, he asked to be traded instead. (IIRC)

I thought we were talking about getting Kidd or he plays for the Bulls? Kobe put the Lakers in a bad position, hence, the Nets were probably offering lowball deals for J.Kidd BUT the Lakers did not budge and did not trade for Kidd.

If you're bringing up the "trade me" request, well, that one they did entertain. But that's different from the Jason Kidd wet dreams ni Kobe. haha
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 at 01:45 PM by the_w0rks »

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1542 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 01:52 PM »
^^
Well, it wasn't gonna work. Both Kobe and Shaq made that clear. Phil and Shaq were on the same page while Kobe had different things in mind. Something had to be done. I think what did it for Jerry Buss was Shaq's demand of "pay me now". Then when he wasn't extended, he asked to be traded instead. (IIRC)

Hence Kobe's influence.

I thought we were talking about getting Kidd or he plays for the Bulls? Kobe put the Lakers in a bad position, hence, the Nets were probably offering lowball deals for J.Kidd BUT the Lakers did not budge and did not trade for Kidd.

If you're bringing up the "trade me" request, well, that one they did entertain. But that's different from the Jason Kidd wet dreams ni Kobe. haha

It's still connected with the initial demands of Kobe.  Buss and Kupchack explored those options.  But they never got any offers they did like.  So they had to look elsewhere.  And from all the offers, the Detroit trade was the most acceptable.  That's why Buss told Kobe they took a look at his preferred destinations.  But the one that was acceptable for mangement was not in Kobe's wishlist. 
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 at 01:53 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #1543 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 02:10 PM »
ang galing ng Knicks ko! ;D

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1544 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 02:18 PM »
Hence Kobe's influence.

It's still connected with the initial demands of Kobe.  Buss and Kupchack explored those options.  But they never got any offers they did like.  So they had to look elsewhere.  And from all the offers, the Detroit trade was the most acceptable.  That's why Buss told Kobe they took a look at his preferred destinations.  But the one that was acceptable for mangement was not in Kobe's wishlist. 

ok bro, if you say so. ayaw mo talaga magpatalo and I am not going to defend Kobe from your hate naman din. haha ;D

@pao

si Carmelo and his scrubs lang kasi e. I don't even know why Amare is still in the NBA...oh wait...he has a huge contract pa with the Knicks, that's why! haha

Pag nagpatuloy yan sa Knicks, there will be no doubt in my mind na iteterminate ni Melo yung contract nya this offseason and expect him to play for the Lakers in 2014. hahaha

Offline pao9307

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1545 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 02:28 PM »
ok bro, if you say so. ayaw mo talaga magpatalo and I am not going to defend Kobe from your hate naman din. haha ;D

@pao

si Carmelo and his scrubs lang kasi e. I don't even know why Amare is still in the NBA...oh wait...he has a huge contract pa with the Knicks, that's why! haha

Pag nagpatuloy yan sa Knicks, there will be no doubt in my mind na iteterminate ni Melo yung contract nya this offseason and expect him to play for the Lakers in 2014. hahaha

malabo yun bro. di ba they just signed Kobe to a 2yr $48M contract?and mas malabo na iwanan ni Melo yung $130M sa NY.

ang hindi malabo,e yang avatar mo. ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1546 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 02:30 PM »

Hindi naman ito talo ka panalo ako.   ;D. Siguro naman I was able to support my stand di ba? Iba lang tayo ng meaning ng "budge".  Para sayo budge lang if natuloy yun JKidd deal.  Sakin budge since pinagbigyan yun request for a trade and almost na rin pending Kobe's approval.  Still don't understand the "hate" thing pa rin.  Hahaha! May sense naman yun reasoning ko I suppose.  Hindi yun....hindi magaling si Kobe kasi, wala lang.   ;D

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1547 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 02:31 PM »
malabo yun bro. di ba they just signed Kobe to a 2yr $48M contract?and mas malabo na iwanan ni Melo yung $130M sa NY.

ang hindi malabo,e yang avatar mo. ;D

may cap space Lakers to sign 1 max player (2 more dapat kung di lang bobo Lakers!) Kayang iwan ni Melo yung Knicks kasi max din naman offer ng Lakers, 1 year lamang nga lang if sa Knicks siya. But still, the weather in Cali will be too tempting to turn down. haha

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1548 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 02:38 PM »
But does Melo accept being second fiddle? Malaki rin ego ni Melo.  So you give up a year plus more millions to play second option?  Kaya nga masyadong precedent yun kay Dwight.  Talagang you really hate the team if you do that.  Because basically, those are what Howard gave up.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #1549 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 02:42 PM »
bye bye... lakers... see you after 3 years... LOL

may bagong team na LA... clippers...
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline pao9307

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1550 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 02:46 PM »
may cap space Lakers to sign 1 max player (2 more dapat kung di lang bobo Lakers!) Kayang iwan ni Melo yung Knicks kasi max din naman offer ng Lakers, 1 year lamang nga lang if sa Knicks siya. But still, the weather in Cali will be too tempting to turn down. haha
di surprising actually if he leaves for LA.

regarding dvd_freak's point, malaki nga ego ni Melo. kaso who knows, he might be biding his time lang, in 2 years sya na ang top banana.

teka,kasisimula pa lang ng season, offseason mode na agad tayo. ;D

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1551 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 02:51 PM »
Hindi naman ito talo ka panalo ako.   ;D. Siguro naman I was able to support my stand di ba? Iba lang tayo ng meaning ng "budge".  Para sayo budge lang if natuloy yun JKidd deal.  Sakin budge since pinagbigyan yun request for a trade and almost na rin pending Kobe's approval.  Still don't understand the "hate" thing pa rin.  Hahaha! May sense naman yun reasoning ko I suppose.  Hindi yun....hindi magaling si Kobe kasi, wala lang.   ;D

You mentioned the Jason Kidd trade kasi. I think what happened first was that during the previous season there was a chance for the Lakers to acquire Kidd for Bynum and pieces but the Lakers decided to keep Bynum tapos dun na nagstart tirade ni Kobe on LA Radio stations about wanting to be traded. Isn't it normal for stars to demand to be traded though? The only thing wrong with what Kobe did was he went public with it putting the Lakers at a disadvantage. I remember actually wanting Kobe to be traded. As Laker fan I felt betrayed by his actions then. haha

anyway, I just get the feeling that you hate/dislike Kobe.

I mean, either that or I'm just imagining things but most of the time pag may dig on Kobe, you're there to comment to drive home the point. Plus there was that comment from you na you think Kobe is just a normal/average caliber player ala Vince Carter and unlike Jordan/Lebron, (IIRC). I mean, at least give the man his props? ;D

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1552 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 02:59 PM »
But does Melo accept being second fiddle? Malaki rin ego ni Melo.  So you give up a year plus more millions to play second option?  Kaya nga masyadong precedent yun kay Dwight.  Talagang you really hate the team if you do that.  Because basically, those are what Howard gave up.
It is worth noting though that unlike Dwight, Kobe and Melo are friends. When Melo sucker punched Mardy Collins, Kobe called Melo to give him advice on how to deal with bad press. (a rapist would know. LOL) From what I often read, Kobe and Melo are actually good friends. So that might be a good starting point. Whereas Kobe's opinion of Dwight was something like "he (Dwight) can be a Chanlder Tyson type of player for us".

Plus New York has been sucking it up. At least if Melo picks LA, di na nya solo yung load (that is, IF Kobe can still be effective by then).

di surprising actually if he leaves for LA.

regarding dvd_freak's point, malaki nga ego ni Melo. kaso who knows, he might be biding his time lang, in 2 years sya na ang top banana.

teka,kasisimula pa lang ng season, offseason mode na agad tayo. ;D

haha sabagay bro, the way the East teams are sucking it up, lahat ng teams sa East may chance pa makaplayoffs. Yung sa Lakers ko kasi, malabo na kaya offseason talk mas ok for me. haha
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 at 03:00 PM by the_w0rks »

Offline aRujoN

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 202
« Reply #1553 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 03:08 PM »
I think the Lakers feel no first tier player is going to sign with the Lakers. And if they drag the negotiations with Kobe, they would lose him as well.  Maybe Lakers mgt feel an overpaid Kobe is better than nothing to show for at all.  :D

I totally agree with this, especially when howard left. It showed the lakers that not all available superstar/s would want to play for them .

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1554 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 03:11 PM »
You mentioned the Jason Kidd trade kasi. I think what happened first was that during the previous season there was a chance for the Lakers to acquire Kidd for Bynum and pieces but the Lakers decided to keep Bynum tapos dun na nagstart tirade ni Kobe on LA Radio stations about wanting to be traded. Isn't it normal for stars to demand to be traded though? The only thing wrong with what Kobe did was he went public with it putting the Lakers at a disadvantage. I remember actually wanting Kobe to be traded. As Laker fan I felt betrayed by his actions then. haha

anyway, I just get the feeling that you hate/dislike Kobe.

I mean, either that or I'm just imagining things but most of the time pag may dig on Kobe, you're there to comment to drive home the point. Plus there was that comment from you na you think Kobe is just a normal/average caliber player ala Vince Carter and unlike Jordan/Lebron, (IIRC). I mean, at least give the man his props? ;D

Obviously I'm not a fan. But I did give Kobe his props.  There was an assertion that Wade has overtaken Kobe as the best SG in the game since 2009 if I recall correctly. I disagreed and pointed out his accomplishements from 2009 to 2013.  But that you don't remember.   ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1555 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 03:22 PM »
It is worth noting though that unlike Dwight, Kobe and Melo are friends. When Melo sucker punched Mardy Collins, Kobe called Melo to give him advice on how to deal with bad press. (a rapist would know. LOL) From what I often read, Kobe and Melo are actually good friends. So that might be a good starting point. Whereas Kobe's opinion of Dwight was something like "he (Dwight) can be a Chanlder Tyson type of player for us".

Plus New York has been sucking it up. At least if Melo picks LA, di na nya solo yung load (that is, IF Kobe can still be effective by then).

That's on the assumption that Melo's ego would permit him to play second fiddle....sacrifice money, an extra year on his contract and statistical accolades as well as personal rewards for the sake of their friendship.  And those sacrifices don't even guarantee the Lakers will leapfrog past the Spurs, Thunder....or even Rockets.  Kaya kung lateral movement lang....sayang yun extra year and extra millions, yun scoring title and yun All NBA team.  If anything, a decade of playing in the league so far has proven Melo to have a big ego.  But of course we don't know what the future lies ahead.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 at 03:30 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline ayosbathere

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1556 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 03:56 PM »

Tingin ko tanggap ni Melo maging assistant sya ni Kobe.. close friend yang dalawa na yan.

Pero as LAL fans, ibang FA na lang kesa kay Melo hehehehe

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1557 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 04:00 PM »
Tingin ko tanggap ni Melo maging assistant sya ni Kobe.. close friend yang dalawa na yan.

Pero as LAL fans, ibang FA na lang kesa kay Melo hehehehe

haha oo nga, wag na si Melo.

Offline rexFi

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Vroom
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1558 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 04:03 PM »
And Melo doesn't want to play for D'Antoni remember with the Knicks?.. so if LAL can get.. Phil Jackson. ;D

Close na ba doors ng both parties sa reunion?
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 at 04:03 PM by rex.reyes3 »

Offline deist

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Family,Photography,Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #1559 on: Nov 26, 2013 at 04:53 PM »
Kobe Bryant is the only thing going on for the Lakers right now, he's the only reason why the media even bother to write anything about the team. He is one of the most polarizing personalities in sports world for the past 2 decades. He is a media darling & fans adore him (though many hate him).

When you talk about the NBA, the Lakers is the first team that comes to people's mind.For the Lakers to lose him because of money is a catastrophe to the organization who as far as people can remember never had any issues spending wise. The Buss family simply adores him & an act of loyalty from them will go a long way image/legacy wise. Picture a Kobe Bryant talking about his years with the Lakers 10-20 years from now paired it with highlight reels from the championship years, that will be epic. You can classify this decision as a business marketing move  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 at 05:02 PM by deist »