Author Topic: HELP! Macbook air or Iphone as audio source cable problem  (Read 549 times)

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hope you guys could help me out. New to PC audio. Got a Rega DAC and used the USB input from my MAcbook air USB output. It's working ok. Just want to try and maximise the Rega and use the optical input. Bought 2 kinds of optical cable with mini toslink adaptors including audio pro. The mini toslink won't fit in the earphone sockets of both the air and the iPhone. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to configure anything sa pc? Where can I find cables that would fit the Mac output? Wanna use airport express in the future. I assume I'll also be using the 3.5mm optical out right?

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

Jason
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2013 at 01:25 PM by jpeg »
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: HELP! Macbook air or Iphone as audio source cable problem
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2013 at 01:20 PM »
If it doesn't fit then it is the wrong cable period. The iPjone doesn't have an optical output. Check your Mac too. My MacBook Air 11.6" Late 2010 doesn't have an optical output as far as I've researched.

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2013 at 05:34 PM »
Optical/toslink is digital while the earphone jack is analog. so basically even if the jack/connector fits it still won't work not unless your macbook has a configuration that you can output digital to the earphone jack.

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2013 at 09:45 AM »
Older Macs can switch between analog and optical from the headphone jacks. Some new Macs don't have optical anymore. Apple wants users to use the Airport Express and other Apple peripherals to output digital.