Author Topic: Advantage of using power amp on AVR  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Wysiwyg

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Advantage of using power amp on AVR
« on: Oct 04, 2013 at 07:12 PM »
Mga Gurus,

Pa share naman ng experiences nyo using power amp on your AV Receiver. Aside from boosting the power does it change the character of your AVR? what about sound quality?

Thanks

HT:RZ50/B&W 603/HTM6/Polk
Audio: Rotel A14/B&W 805N

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: Advantage of using power amp on AVR
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2013 at 09:55 PM »
depende sir sa power amp, speaker, and matchng ng avr or preamp. in my experience once nagpower amp ka you will never go back to an integrated avr lang. but generally speaking using a good power amp should improve soundstage, highs and lows
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2013 at 10:21 PM by jao143 »
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2013 at 10:11 PM »
Sir it will definitely not change the character of your avr. As for sound quality, there will be a big difference esp if coming from a weaker power to drive the speakers. Youll hear true character of your speakers if driven with sufficient power. More headroom the better esp for those hard to drive speakers(89db and lower sensitivity)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Re: Advantage of using power amp on AVR
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 12:35 AM »
Mga Gurus,

Pa share naman ng experiences nyo using power amp on your AV Receiver. Aside from boosting the power does it change the character of your AVR? what about sound quality?

Thanks

It may change the character of your whole system. It may or may not improve the SQ depending on your preference.

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 12:47 AM »
It may change the character of your whole system. It may or may not improve the SQ depending on your preference.

+1 to this. :)

Hindi porket you are now essentially using a more powerful amp, it will sound right for you. ;)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 01:12 AM »
+1 to this. :)

Hindi porket you are now essentially using a more powerful amp, it will sound right for you. ;)

Totally agree. System matching pa din ang primary consideration lalo na kung audio.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 07:16 AM »
kung dati you enjoy the distortion at moderate to high listening levels, mawawala or mababawasan yun when you use a power amp. users say naging warm daw ang sound when they add a power amp, what they failed to realize is nabawasan lang yung clipping and distortion most evident sa mid & high.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline TinkerTailor

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 221
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 10:11 AM »
Stronger sound all around. But the sound character will definitely change depending on the sound. In my case I was surprised that I preferred the sound characteristic of my avr (an HK) to power my fronts for music. So now I have the power amp (an ATI 1505) powering the surrounds and center. I find the combination perfect. The HK provides sweet music for two channel listening while the power amp provides the strong and clear sound for surround tracks.

I do agree with the synergy thing. The ATI power amp was great with my previous speakers, but when I changed my fronts and center that was when I preferred the synergy of the HK avr with the HB clones of A-audio.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 06:51 PM »
External Power Amps will most definitely change the Sound Character of your system compared with just your AV Receiver alone. Like they said, it will boil down to your preference...
Before I was using a Denon 4311 and Emotiva XPA-5 powering my Goldenear speakers...
I find it better sounding using just the Denon 4311 driving my speakers...
Higher power doesn't always mean better sound.

Now I'm using Pioneer Receiver and Rotel Power Amp for my Goldenear speakers...
Before I was just using the Pioneer and find the sound a little too detailed.
And when I added the Rotel into the mix, the sound character become more weighty and musical which I prefer more...

At the end of the day talagang personal preference magdidictate if may advantage or wala ang external power amps most especially when paired with AV receivers...

Mga Gurus,

Thanks

Offline Wysiwyg

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 07:31 PM »
Salamat sa inputs nyo mga fellow pdvd members, but do i really need 5 channel  power amp or 2 channel is enough to power my recent yamaha rxv 773? actually just want to improve more my experience on stereo/ pure direct listening  mode using my existing avr paired with b&w 601 s3.
What specific brand power amps highly recommended for this setup?
HT:RZ50/B&W 603/HTM6/Polk
Audio: Rotel A14/B&W 805N

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2013 at 10:56 PM »
Better 3 channel amp para at least yung all front speakers mo would have the same sound signature,  if not I would just use a 2 channel integrated with an "AMP switch" to switch the amp from 2 channel integrated or use the AVR's amp

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2013 at 12:04 AM »
External Power Amps will most definitely change the Sound Character of your system compared with just your AV Receiver alone. Like they said, it will boil down to your preference...
Before I was using a Denon 4311 and Emotiva XPA-5 powering my Goldenear speakers...
I find it better sounding using just the Denon 4311 driving my speakers...
Higher power doesn't always mean better sound.

Now I'm using Pioneer Receiver and Rotel Power Amp for my Goldenear speakers...
Before I was just using the Pioneer and find the sound a little too detailed.
And when I added the Rotel into the mix, the sound character become more weighty and musical which I prefer more...

At the end of the day talagang personal preference magdidictate if may advantage or wala ang external power amps most especially when paired with AV receivers...

When you added the power amp and did the "vs just receiver" comparison, walang ibang binago? Same source, material, LEVELS, room, treatment, speakers, positioning, seats, etc.?
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard