Author Topic: LG time machine II experience?  (Read 15202 times)

Offline dmag08

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LG time machine II experience?
« on: Jul 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM »
to those peeps who bought lg tv's with the time machine II feature may i know your experience regarding on recording HD channels (specifically cignal HD channels like nba premium hd, hbo hd, discovery hd etc.) how much disk space will it allot on a single recording lets say single movie in hbo hd? and how is the quality when you rewind and play it back? lastly what is the default media format (avi,mkv,mp4) when you  record?

this applies preferably to la6200 owners and above models who has the time machine II feature on there LG HDtv's./..thanks

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: LG time machine II experience?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2013 at 02:49 PM »
LN5710 has this so technically this feature is not only from 6200 and above. I guess all 2013 smart tv models have this.

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2013 at 07:41 PM »
You can only record from off the air broadcast signals and composite inputs. Since HD cable/sat boxes uses hdmi you will not be able to record HD content from them.

The TV will initialize the hdd you will use for recording into linux format with two folders that are not accessible. My best guess is that it records in some form of streaming format (.ts).

By the way I have a LN5710.

Offline cm8

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2013 at 07:56 PM »
I have an older LW5700. I hacked into the service menu. I activated time machine, local dimming, THX Cinema Mode, THX Bright Room Mode and Dolby 5.1 Passthrough. Haven't tried time machine yet but as far as I know, uvax is right. Coax (cable) input and composite and lower quality input can be used with time machine. I haven't tried it yet but that is what is said in other forums.

If you wanna use time machine with your cable box, you might wanna try using its composite output.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2013 at 07:57 PM by cmagalona »
I only have two secrets to success and happiness:

1. Don't tell anybody anything you know.

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM »
I have an older LW5700. I hacked into the service menu. I activated time machine, local dimming, THX Cinema Mode, THX Bright Room Mode and Dolby 5.1 Passthrough. Haven't tried time machine yet but as far as I know, uvax is right. Coax (cable) input and composite and lower quality input can be used with time machine. I haven't tried it yet but that is what is said in other forums.

If you wanna use time machine with your cable box, you might wanna try using its composite output.

Am i reading right? Local dimming? Wow thats great. LN5710 is a higher model i think so i guess i can also activate that feature? Can you share your experience with local dimming?

Offline cm8

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM »
Am i reading right? Local dimming? Wow thats great. LN5710 is a higher model i think so i guess i can also activate that feature? Can you share your experience with local dimming?

Haven't really had enough time with it to conclude if it does make a significant improvement. Most calibration settings made by pros for LG LW5600 series (local dimming activated by default) suggest to turn local dimming off anyway so I don't really know yet if it's an advantage to have that feature on all the time.

Apparently, most features of higher end models are also present in the lower models. It's just that the higher models have these activated (at the factory, i suppose) by default. For lower end models, you just need to "dig into" the TV's Service Menu. However, this will void your warranty and can brick your TV if done wrong so I'm only saying that it can be done, not that you should do it. If you do go through with, it's at your own risk, k? hehe!! ;);)

Here's the link to the Pro Calibration settings of LG LED TV's. No need for the service menu so this one is safe. This was made year 2011 so it may or may not be applicable to newer models. I tried these settings and I'm quite satisfied with the results.

Hope this helps:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1319231/official-lg-47lw5600-55lw5600-passive-3d-owners-thread/2400#post_20651574
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM by cmagalona »
I only have two secrets to success and happiness:

1. Don't tell anybody anything you know.

Offline dmag08

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM »
sir natry nyo na po ba mag record using composite ?

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2013 at 08:54 AM »
Haven't really had enough time with it to conclude if it does make a significant improvement. Most calibration settings made by pros for LG LW5600 series (local dimming activated by default) suggest to turn local dimming off anyway so I don't really know yet if it's an advantage to have that feature on all the time.

Apparently, most features of higher end models are also present in the lower models. It's just that the higher models have these activated (at the factory, i suppose) by default. For lower end models, you just need to "dig into" the TV's Service Menu. However, this will void your warranty and can brick your TV if done wrong so I'm only saying that it can be done, not that you should do it. If you do go through with, it's at your own risk, k? hehe!! ;);)

Here's the link to the Pro Calibration settings of LG LED TV's. No need for the service menu so this one is safe. This was made year 2011 so it may or may not be applicable to newer models. I tried these settings and I'm quite satisfied with the results.

Hope this helps:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1319231/official-lg-47lw5600-55lw5600-passive-3d-owners-thread/2400#post_20651574

Great insight. Thanks boss!

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 07:57 AM »
sir natry nyo na po ba mag record using composite ?

Yes