Author Topic: My Home Theater Rebuild Project  (Read 9364 times)

Offline balarila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My Home Theater Rebuild Project
« on: Jul 12, 2013 at 08:46 PM »
Posted this in another forum but I thought may be of use to some people here so I'm sharing my re-building of my HT.

Been pestering Ricky (a HT pro builder here) on how to improve my Home Theater acoustics.  He's been extremely helpful so, nung nahiya na 'ko, started doing some research on my own.  Siyempre, nagpaalam muna ko sa kanya before doing this WIP since I may be revealing his trade secrets. But his work quality is really pro and much info are out there anyway so he gave me permission.  Generous guy.

First thing I learned was that my Home theater is an echo box:  All walls finished in concrete palitada while ceiling is plywood.  Kaya pala sometimes I could not understand the dialogue; because standing waves bounce everywhere in my room causing many really bad minute echos.  Current layout is:

To solve that, I had to find the reflection points (where sound bounces before hitting the listener's ears) and put sound absorbing materials on those points.

So, I measure the room, speaker locations, and seating area.  Then, went into some high school geometry calculations.

Those were basic calculations of ratios of triangle legs where the hypotenuse of each would be the incident and reflection lengths the sound travels bouncing off each wall.  So, for each wall and the ceiling, I calculate the point where each speaker's (and there are five not counting the subwoofer) sound would bounce before hitting the listener.  And, since I have a sofa where audience would listen, I took the point for bounce to the left end of the sofa and the one for the right end.  Each wall and ceiling would then end up with five "ranges" each bounded by two points (ten points in total).

This is getting a bit complex for pencil and paper so went to Excel and drew the diagrams in Powerpoint (sorry, don't have Sketchup nor CAD).

Then planned on where the acoustic panels (sound absorbing material) should be placed.

The plan is, first to construct the panels by making rectangular frames with my scrap palo china then filling that up with fiberglass blanket then covering with (hopefully) acoustically-transparent textile.  Rockwool would have been better but more expensive.  I'm not a real audiophile anyway so removing the echos is enough for me.

I will then hang those panels at the appropriate locations.  When time permits, I will start installing drywalls using light steel framing.  While doing that, I may as well reroute the cables so I can remove that coffee table in the middle to allow for more legroom/laying-around-room.  That coffee table actually houses the amplifier and DVD player so all cables terminate there.  But that drywall-cable part will be on a have-time basis.  For now, I need to make the panels.

So that SWMBO will get encouraged, I managed to coax Ricky into selling me a very nice old stock retracting screen to show off to SWMBO how nice the image would be.  My existing screen is actually a piece of white cloth hung from the ceiling.  SWMBO was pleased.

To be continued.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: My Home Theater Rebuild Project
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM »
Good for you ding, glad to be of help to a fellow addict. Gawaan mo
Na ng faux wall yung harap then doon mo itago lahat ng gears mo under the center speaker.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 09:51 AM »
Thanks, Ricky.  Your advice has been very valuable.

You'd be surprised where I kept all my gear, though.  Abangan!

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 09:57 AM »
Got all my materials (wood, fiberglass, cloth, batting material).  Got lots of scrap palochina work so dimensioned them for the frame of the acoustic panels.

The idea is to make wooden frames, stuff the fiberglass into pre-calculated spaces, cover the frame with batting material, then cover the whole thing with decorative cloth.

Must be getting old.  Two hours of cutting and planing got me beat.  Most of that palo china is about a foot short of the 8' I need so will need to extend.  No need for fancy joinery though.  Just had a go with my pneumatic nailer and some glue.

Six panel frames; 3 on each side wall.  All butt joints glued and nailed.  Had a ball with my pneumatic nailer.  Punched 5 nails where 2 would do.  Choog-choog-choog-choog-choog.  Wahoo!

Also got to use my miter saw; won from the contest.

Miter saws are great when making repetitive cross cuts or when cutting those diagonal reinforcements.

On the next weekend, stuffed fiberglass into the frames and covered with batting material bought from Ricky the expert.  He also steered me into some cheap but very good stapler.

Then tested it in my home theater.

Man, the improvement in sound was like night and day!  And that was only 3 panels on each side wall.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM »

Middle panels not yet done.  Up close, that cloth looks very retro.  Hirap pala ng cloth na may pattern.  Needed to make sure the pattern is aligned across the panels.

Although I am posting all of this in one go, the project actually took several weeks.  Mahirap tapusin kasi sarap manood ng James Bond with great sound...

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM »
Now the bass traps.

Assembled these bass trap boxes from scrap plywood I salvaged from some pump crates at work.

Got me two rolls of 80kg/m3 rockwool (Roxul brand).  Started cutting away.

Found it easy to cut using a box cutter with the knife fully extended and a ruler.  Also used a wide tip felt pen to mark my cuts.  Pencils would be useless here.

BTW, had to dress up this way.

That's a PHP27 disposable raincoat.  Not in photo is my full battle gear:  gloves, pants, shoes.  Working with fiberglass is tricky.  One should never let any of it come in contact with skin or you'll be in itch-hell.

Stuffed the boxes.

Made four of them.  Working in a raincoat in the heat of my garage just saps all my strength.  Needed to take lots of breaks.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM »
My brother announced he was coming home from the US.  So I got all the money I'd been saving for an 8-inch jointer (that's an expensive woodworking tool for making wood straight and flat) and raided Amazon.

Got a 3D projector, receiver, and BD player.  Next week, will get some speakers and change my 8-year old Bose (which is beginning to sound a little left behind after all the new gear).  Of course, did this without letting SWMBO know.  She was pleased with the result, though.  My brother sent me this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B08BOjCzFiw

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM »
ganda chief ng HT mo pati power tools mo. :) :)
WCH CM U?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 03:36 PM »
Nice! The bug caught you.
:)

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 04:17 PM »
Ding, nice to have you here. Get ready for some serious ht and audio listening....
What speakers have you chosen so far brader?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
Re: Re: My Home Theater Rebuild Project
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 04:22 PM »
Ding, nice to have you here. Get ready for some serious ht and audio listening....

Ayan na! Mga pa-simpleng tanong ng mga warlock dito.
:D

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 04:30 PM »
Ayan na! Mga pa-simpleng tanong ng mga warlock dito.
:D
Dito di ako warlock... Dun sa kabilang site oo....... Hehehe

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 05:54 PM »

Fell in love at first audition with SVS system.  Actually was just going to get the sub and mate it with bottom-end Polks but, on hearing the whole SVS system, I was sold.  MikeC also gave me a good package:  SC02 front and center, SB02 surround, and the PB-1000.

I know this is still the bottom-end of the SVS line but, from where I am coming from (Bose AM10), quite a leap.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 05:56 PM »
ganda chief ng HT mo pati power tools mo. :) :)

Thanks.  Those tools are for a sailboat I have been building for about 2 years now.  Always backburnered for little projects like this HT.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 06:03 PM »
Sir we are looking forward to your system to be posted on the gallery...
For sure this will be awesome ^-^

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 08:24 PM »
Thanks.  Those tools are for a sailboat I have been building for about 2 years now.  Always backburnered for little projects like this HT.
Maybe if and when you go audio don't leap.... JUMP!  ;D ;)

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 08:30 PM »
Sir we are looking forward to your system to be posted on the gallery...
For sure this will be awesome ^-^

LOL, Louie!  From what I read in your posts, you are an expert in this field.  I'm just a woodworker bungling into home theater.  Today, all I have are the acoustic panels and two rear corners with bass traps.  Cables strewn on corners.  I think my project will always be a continuous work-in-progress.  That's because, for every development, I test the setup and I end up watching a movie or two!

Just today, after some work on the cables, wife and I sat down and saw Red Dawn.  Fantastic movie.

If (and that's a big IF) ever my HT approximates awesome status, I'll surely post photos.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2013 at 03:12 AM »
Fell in love at first audition with SVS system.  Actually was just going to get the sub and mate it with bottom-end Polks but, on hearing the whole SVS system, I was sold.  MikeC also gave me a good package:  SC02 front and center, SB02 surround, and the PB-1000.

I know this is still the bottom-end of the SVS line but, from where I am coming from (Bose AM10), quite a leap.

welcome to the gallery sir. this is another Work-In-Progress HT room to look forward into completion.

great choice using all-SVS setup. i too, have an all-SVS setup. you can also use the SCS-02 in 2-ch audio setup, they sound good as well.

i'm sure MikeC had given you the best deal that you can't refuse ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2013 at 03:16 AM by GneW »

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2013 at 04:09 AM »
welcome to the gallery sir. this is another Work-In-Progress HT room to look forward into completion.

great choice using all-SVS setup. i too, have an all-SVS setup. you can also use the SCS-02 in 2-ch audio setup, they sound good as well.

i'm sure MikeC had given you the best deal that you can't refuse ;D

Yes.  It's a good deal.  Except that I had planned on spending only half.  But upon hearing the SVS, I decided to spend double of what I still did not have!

Yes.  Auditioned the SCS-02 for music, too.  I'm no audiophile but I do like the "looseness" (if that is a term) of it.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #19 on: Jul 15, 2013 at 04:27 AM »
Yes.  It's a good deal.  Except that I had planned on spending only half.  But upon hearing the SVS, I decided to spend double of what I still did not have!

Yes.  Auditioned the SCS-02 for music, too.  I'm no audiophile but I do like the "looseness" (if that is a term) of it.

i am very centain that them SVS speakers will sound better in your properly treated room

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #20 on: Jul 15, 2013 at 04:53 PM »
LOL, Louie!  From what I read in your posts, you are an expert in this field.  I'm just a woodworker bungling into home theater.  Today, all I have are the acoustic panels and two rear corners with bass traps.  Cables strewn on corners.  I think my project will always be a continuous work-in-progress.  That's because, for every development, I test the setup and I end up watching a movie or two!

Just today, after some work on the cables, wife and I sat down and saw Red Dawn.  Fantastic movie.

If (and that's a big IF) ever my HT approximates awesome status, I'll surely post photos.

Haha! No sir, I'm not an expert. Like you, I'm just an AV enthusiast.
Based from your pictures sir you have a really nice dedicated room, and I'm pretty sure those acoustic panels and bass traps will do wonders(try also installing bass traps on the front corners sir) ;)

SVS S-series speakers are very good especially in movies. Heard them couple of times already in sir Mike's place. Surround sound details are very good which is very essential in HT set up.

All our set ups here in PinoyDVD are awesome sir!!!
They're all product of our hard work and PDVD addiction ;D ^-^

Will surely follow your build sir :)
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2013 at 04:54 PM by Louie ^-^ »

Offline jh@meeh

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #21 on: Jul 15, 2013 at 05:03 PM »
Pekture pekture na lang bossing...masaya talaga kapag may na biktima na naman ang PDVD....hahaha..

C O N G R A TS..!
Laway laway na naman pag natapos mo yan chief..goodluck!
LG OLED
Kef Reference
Denon Receiver
Power Sound Audio
JL Fathoms

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 15, 2013 at 06:27 PM »
Pekture pekture na lang bossing...masaya talaga kapag may na biktima na naman ang PDVD....hahaha..

C O N G R A TS..!
Laway laway na naman pag natapos mo yan chief..goodluck!

Nakow sinabi mo pa. Yan ang DIY home building master ng PHM! Mga projects niyan sailboat samanatalang tayo, mga bass traps and frames lang.

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 15, 2013 at 06:55 PM »
Nakow sinabi mo pa. Yan ang DIY home building master ng PHM! Mga projects niyan sailboat samanatalang tayo, mga bass traps and frames lang.
Actually nagtataka ako kung bakit balarila gamit nyang username... Dapat Noah! Kung bakit Noah, tanong nyo saan location nya at gaano kalaki ang binubuo nyang boat.... Hehehehe

Offline Oloap

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #24 on: Jul 15, 2013 at 08:20 PM »
Wow, just wow.

I hope i can see you in action doing all those works with your powertools.

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2013 at 07:22 AM by Oloap »

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 18, 2013 at 06:26 AM »
Thanks for all the encouragement.  This community rocks.

Quick update:  Picked up the SVS speakers from Mike yesterday morning.  Hooked them up in the afternoon.  Just propped up on boxes for now.  Will make the shelves this weekend.  Can't justify those expensive brackets to myself...unless someone here has any suggestions.

Moving from my puny Bose into SVS was like breaking dawn.  Saw the 2nd LOTR and those battle scenes suddenly came alive.  Never realized how much detail I was missing.  After that, saw Olympus Has Fallen.  Awesome.

The hard part now is continuing the build because I keep getting drawn into watching more!

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #26 on: Jul 18, 2013 at 07:21 AM »
Congratulations!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM »
The brackets you can make out of wood, it should be simple for you. Some dovetail joints on the corners and you're done...
Looking forward for more brad....

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 18, 2013 at 02:00 PM »
The brackets you can make out of wood, it should be simple for you. Some dovetail joints on the corners and you're done...
Looking forward for more brad....

Making a sort of box actually.  I need to mount in on a side-wall.  The front of my home theater actually has just a curtain behind the screen.  On the other side of this curtain are all my comms (router, switches, PBX, etc).  Between the edge of the screen and the sidewall I use as entry to this comms "room" so, when I install the front speakers on this wall, I run the risk of hitting it so I'll enclose it in some sort of box.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 18, 2013 at 06:45 PM »
Making a sort of box actually.  I need to mount in on a side-wall.  The front of my home theater actually has just a curtain behind the screen.  On the other side of this curtain are all my comms (router, switches, PBX, etc).  Between the edge of the screen and the sidewall I use as entry to this comms "room" so, when I install the front speakers on this wall, I run the risk of hitting it so I'll enclose it in some sort of box.

Maganda kung you can visit different dedicated rooms so you can also get different ideas as to orientation and placement.