Author Topic: HREY HT room project in progress....  (Read 12680 times)

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: In need of suggestions/advice to build my HT room...
« Reply #30 on: Oct 26, 2013 at 08:21 PM »
18' x 11' is closer to the golden ratio and farther from being a square room. If you are not too serious with audio then 18' x 12' is fine.  Speaker placement will be easier with the 18' x 11'.  Very focused and holographic sound imaging for the main seats. 2nd row seats will have compromised sound. Personally, I wont put 2nd row. A 2 seater will be perfect.

If you will use a wide 3 seater sofa then 20' x 12' 4" is the better shape.

Offline raiden213

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Oct 26, 2013 at 09:33 PM »
I haven't really had the chance to listen on any dedicated HT set-ups so I wont probably notice any difference in a 18'X12' vs 18'X11' room size. I do prefer to have a bit of space as I would like to have atleast a 3 seater recliner. We also do hold a lot of party with friends so we want it to be a little bit spacey for guests for karaoke nights or party dancing. I know in essence it would be a multi-purpose media room and less of a serious HT room.
Sony Smart 3dLed 70"KDL550R
Pioneer VSX1122
Klipsch RF800B,RC500B,RS400B,SW112
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline raiden213

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 26, 2013 at 09:46 PM »
I have seen quite a few ht set-up here in pinoydvd and so far I am impressed with ralphong ht for its simplicity, quiet color and  is almost identical to my room dimensions. If I can come close to the level of his ht then that would be a big succes for me. In the meantime, I will keep researching and gathering useful suggestions that would address my intentions.

Thanks Gino for the expert advice and I will take in consideration your suggestions.
Pioneer VSX1122
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Oldboyracer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • May the upgrade be with you
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #33 on: Oct 31, 2013 at 11:26 AM »
Hi Raiden,

I've been a bit quiet through lack of internet, all sorted now.
For soundproofing visit www.soundproofingcompany.com you'll find excellent information along with diagrams on different types of installations.
For the HT design you won't go far wrong in taking a look at www.thehometheaterbook.com. Also have a look at the post on the AVS forum, it will explain a little about the book. It was started a few years ago as a dedicated HT build but has developed into more of a manual explaining all aspects of building your own HT. It is now around 500 pages & about 350 photographs + interviews & videos from prominent people in the business. There is now a subscription of $79 IMHO well worth the outlay. 
Emotiva XSP-1 & XPA-DR2, SMSL VMV D1, ND8006
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline raiden213

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 03, 2013 at 06:34 PM »
I am on the process of trying to get a permit to build my HT from a crawlspace of almost 5' but i'm a little worried I would not be allowed to dig any further for this project. You know, laws here in Canada or US which prohibits you to build extra spaces on your own home unless you get a permit to do so. I'm thinking of building it and not declaring for building code but risks insurance coverage if something goes wrong esp. with the digging. I am currently looking for an engineer to give me some good advice to avoid risking the integrity of the foundations or footings.

Pioneer VSX1122
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2013 at 07:49 PM »
I am on the process of trying to get a permit to build my HT from a crawlspace of almost 5' but i'm a little worried I would not be allowed to dig any further for this project. You know, laws here in Canada or US which prohibits you to build extra spaces on your own home unless you get a permit to do so. I'm thinking of building it and not declaring for building code but risks insurance coverage if something goes wrong esp. with the digging. I am currently looking for an engineer to give me some good advice to avoid risking the integrity of the foundations or footings.

If I was you I wouldn't ignore the building code, the last thing you want to do is nullify your house insurance - too much to lose.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2014 at 06:48 PM »
Hi Raiden, How's your project coming along or have you come to a halt ?
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline raiden213

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Mar 07, 2014 at 09:15 PM »
Hi Raiden, How's your project coming along or have you come to a halt ?

I've seen the progress on your HT room just awhile ago and I can assume it must be exciting and very hectic at the same time. I haven't done much on the physical part of the project but I have talked to my property engr. and the builder about my plan. It sounded like it is very possible to build my HT under my garage but he suggested for us to meet and inspect the site this 3rd week this month on how to best proceed with the project. Plan is going along slowly but I figured out once planning stages is in place, everything should go quickly as a lot of my friends (basketball teammates) have volunteered to help out on the digging of dirt to make it atleast a 8ft ceiling room. I am still not sure what will be the final dimension of the room, any suggestions? The room is measuring 20ft x 20ft but since HT room are rectangular in shape, I don't know what would be the ideal dimension if I would utilize a 20ft front to back length of the room, I want to make the other 1/3 space of the room to be my computer room and extra space for my shoe collections and japanese diecast robots. I have so many ideas but I am still a long ways to go.

I will try to post my progress once I have met with the engr. and builder.
Pioneer VSX1122
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Mar 08, 2014 at 02:03 PM »

I've seen the progress on your HT room just awhile ago and I can assume it must be exciting and very hectic at the same time. I haven't done much on the physical part of the project but I have talked to my property engr. and the builder about my plan. It sounded like it is very possible to build my HT under my garage but he suggested for us to meet and inspect the site this 3rd week this month on how to best proceed with the project. Plan is going along slowly but I figured out once planning stages is in place, everything should go quickly as a lot of my friends (basketball teammates) have volunteered to help out on the digging of dirt to make it atleast a 8ft ceiling room. I am still not sure what will be the final dimension of the room, any suggestions? The room is measuring 20ft x 20ft but since HT room are rectangular in shape, I don't know what would be the ideal dimension if I would utilize a 20ft front to back length of the room, I want to make the other 1/3 space of the room to be my computer room and extra space for my shoe collections and japanese diecast robots. I have so many ideas but I am still a long ways to go.

I will try to post my progress once I have met with the engr. and builder.

Good to hear you are progressing albeit slowly. You've got it right, exciting & very very hectic. Looking to place orders for all the materials next week. I have the Rockwool & Green Glue, the acoustic panels & bass traps are being made at the moment so my build is coming along nicely.
If you want to utilize your 20' length a width of 13' would be OK if you have an 8' ceiling. If you work on a ratio of length = 2.6 x Height, width = 1.6 x Height you won't go far wrong. There is no golden ratio, even the 4 acknowledged acoustic experts can't agree. The nearer you are to 1 of the so called golden ratios means the less acoustic treatment you need, a good starting point is to have 30% of your walls treated. As your room will be underground you will not have to worry about soundproofing. A 13' width should give nearly 7' x 20' for your computer room & collections.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline raiden213

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Mar 08, 2014 at 08:16 PM »
Thanks for the helpful tips oldboyracer. I will closely follow  the progress of your project so I can acquire more ideas on how to proceed on mine. Your gears are on a whole other level compare to my existing one but I am really not in a hurry to upgrade since I just got all my speakers set not too long ago. I don't even know how to properly calibrate the sound of my system as I am just starting to get serious with this hobby. Aside from the itch I had when I almost bought the 15" version of my sub (50% off) and adding a set of speakers to make my sorround 7.2, I think I am satisfied at the time being. I am shooting for a full 8ft ceiling or slightly less depending how the digging would be. I think I would go for the 20'x13' dimension since that is the size that would really work for my needs. I actually did some measurement on my living room and dining and I am quite satisfied with the space I saw. With this impending project, I need to save more funds and stop temporarily on my shoe addictions for now. I anticipate it will be non-stop expenses once digging and construction starts.
Pioneer VSX1122
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Mar 09, 2014 at 09:57 AM »
Thanks for the helpful tips oldboyracer. I will closely follow  the progress of your project so I can acquire more ideas on how to proceed on mine. Your gears are on a whole other level compare to my existing one but I am really not in a hurry to upgrade since I just got all my speakers set not too long ago. I don't even know how to properly calibrate the sound of my system as I am just starting to get serious with this hobby. Aside from the itch I had when I almost bought the 15" version of my sub (50% off) and adding a set of speakers to make my sorround 7.2, I think I am satisfied at the time being. I am shooting for a full 8ft ceiling or slightly less depending how the digging would be. I think I would go for the 20'x13' dimension since that is the size that would really work for my needs. I actually did some measurement on my living room and dining and I am quite satisfied with the space I saw. With this impending project, I need to save more funds and stop temporarily on my shoe addictions for now. I anticipate it will be non-stop expenses once digging and construction starts.

Hi raiden, don't worry about the upgrades too much, they will come in time. Like me you have a golden opportunity to make your HT room future proof as practicable, for example run in additional speaker cables to cater for upgrades. The main thing is decide what you really want achieve, think what you wish to do in the future & do the necessary work now as it will be cheaper in the long run. Unfortunately it's all money money money & once you start there's really no turning back. Once you start your  build I think you'll find your other hobbies will take a bit of a back seat.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline raiden213

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Mar 09, 2014 at 02:14 PM »
I know oldboyracer, I just feel so anxious right now because I don't wanna hear any setbacks when I talk to the engr. that would halt my plan. I do want to have my HT because there is no way I will be able to utilize my set up since wifey can't stand loud noise. It will just make our relationship better because we arguments because of my use of my system, ofcourse I like it loud to be immerse in the movie experience but she like peace and silence. I have a pretty good idea on how the HT looks like, I am planning to conceal my gears on my pc room so the room would look nice and neat.
Pioneer VSX1122
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Mar 09, 2014 at 06:13 PM »
I know oldboyracer, I just feel so anxious right now because I don't wanna hear any setbacks when I talk to the engr. that would halt my plan. I do want to have my HT because there is no way I will be able to utilize my set up since wifey can't stand loud noise. It will just make our relationship better because we arguments because of my use of my system, ofcourse I like it loud to be immerse in the movie experience but she like peace and silence. I have a pretty good idea on how the HT looks like, I am planning to conceal my gears on my pc room so the room would look nice and neat.

There is always anxiety until you see the build rising, same with me waiting for something to go wrong. Now I can see it happening calm has descended. I may build an equipment room later on, I've spoken to the architect about about the possibility but we'll have to see. My problem is I do like to see the gears & speakers rather than hiding them away.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline raiden213

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 13, 2014 at 02:57 AM »
It has taken me a long time to finally secure a building permit to make an alteration on my house to be able to built my own HT or multimedia room. The current plan made by my engineer would be a 20'x14' room but would require a lot of work and cost me more money. Another option would be to retain the middle post on a 20'x20' room and split the room into 2 separate section, this option would actually be less work and cost effective since I would not be removing the middle post and I don't have to build 2 new post to support the load of my garage on top. The space as it is right now is a crawlspace about 5' in height which I primarily use for storage purposes at the moment, don't really need that much storage space so it is almost useless right now. To give everyone a perspective on how much work needs to be done is I need to dig atleast 3'-4' to have a 8-9 ft ceiling on the room. This job would have to be done manually as no big equipment/tools could go under this space so the old fashion shovel digging would by my only option. I am also planning to do the job myself or could have some of my good friends help out if they would accept a free weekend bbq and beers in exchange for labor job like this lol!

Now, I will need everyone's very helpful inputs here at pdvd so I can address my main dilemma right now which is will I go for the dedicated 20'X14' HT room or utilize the 20'X20' room and split it into 2 space. If I go the second option, I could actually have two 20'X10' room which I can have one as my HT room albeit on the smaller size and a game room (billiard table) on the other room. I know I can't have both but I like watching movies and playing games (I will use a pj screen for the ht room), on the other hand I can see the benefit of having a gaming room as I like playing billiards as well. My neighbor even had suggested to keep the 20'X20' room open to accommodate both needs.

Any suggestions will be appreciated greatly. TIA everyone!
Pioneer VSX1122
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 13, 2014 at 06:21 AM »
It has taken me a long time to finally secure a building permit to make an alteration on my house to be able to built my own HT or multimedia room. The current plan made by my engineer would be a 20'x14' room but would require a lot of work and cost me more money. Another option would be to retain the middle post on a 20'x20' room and split the room into 2 separate section, this option would actually be less work and cost effective since I would not be removing the middle post and I don't have to build 2 new post to support the load of my garage on top. The space as it is right now is a crawlspace about 5' in height which I primarily use for storage purposes at the moment, don't really need that much storage space so it is almost useless right now. To give everyone a perspective on how much work needs to be done is I need to dig atleast 3'-4' to have a 8-9 ft ceiling on the room. This job would have to be done manually as no big equipment/tools could go under this space so the old fashion shovel digging would by my only option. I am also planning to do the job myself or could have some of my good friends help out if they would accept a free weekend bbq and beers in exchange for labor job like this lol!

Now, I will need everyone's very helpful inputs here at pdvd so I can address my main dilemma right now which is will I go for the dedicated 20'X14' HT room or utilize the 20'X20' room and split it into 2 space. If I go the second option, I could actually have two 20'X10' room which I can have one as my HT room albeit on the smaller size and a game room (billiard table) on the other room. I know I can't have both but I like watching movies and playing games (I will use a pj screen for the ht room), on the other hand I can see the benefit of having a gaming room as I like playing billiards as well. My neighbor even had suggested to keep the 20'X20' room open to accommodate both needs.

Any suggestions will be appreciated greatly. TIA everyone!

Hi raiden, unfortunately the decision will have to be yours. you have to decide what you REALLY want & if you have enough funds available. If it was me I'd go for the dedicated HT room - I also like pool, billiards & snooker, for that reason I built a separate games room. Maybe that's something you could look at for the future  :)
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline raiden213

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 13, 2014 at 02:14 PM »
Thanks Oldboyracer for your input. I'm pretty sure I want a great HT but I probably just want to be reassured it is worth it. The thing is I haven't really been into any hometheater personally to be able to get that feeling of being amazed. Other than browsing thru the best HT rooms here, I've just been looking around the net for other inspirations.
Pioneer VSX1122
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #46 on: Nov 13, 2014 at 07:44 PM »
Thanks Oldboyracer for your input. I'm pretty sure I want a great HT but I probably just want to be reassured it is worth it. The thing is I haven't really been into any hometheater personally to be able to get that feeling of being amazed. Other than browsing thru the best HT rooms here, I've just been looking around the net for other inspirations.

It's worth it when:

1. You love watching movies,
2. In the privacy of your own home
3. With your family
4. With a good SQ (sound quality)
5. And a good monitor

Those are the factors that you should consider, not just bragging rights, otherwise, you'll end up watching the same movie with certain scenes again and again, just to see if your system is sounds and looks good.

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 13, 2014 at 09:47 PM »

It's well worth it raiden, I thought I was past being amazed but after preliminary testing I'm glad I went the extra mile. Mine is the 1st proper HT I've been in but it takes me back to my days of cinema going & now I will have it all the time  ;D ;D ;D
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 13, 2014 at 09:49 PM »
It's worth it when:

1. You love watching movies,
2. In the privacy of your own home
3. With your family
4. With a good SQ (sound quality)
5. And a good monitor

Those are the factors that you should consider, not just bragging rights, otherwise, you'll end up watching the same movie with certain scenes again and again, just to see if your system is sounds and looks good.

I'm with you on that Nelson  ;D
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline raiden213

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 14, 2014 at 09:41 AM »
Thanks Nelson and Oldboyracer. Both of you are making my decision making a lot easier. This ht room will be built mainly for my love of movies and games. This room could also be a perfect place to spend those cold winter nights here in Canada.
Pioneer VSX1122
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline raiden213

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: HREY HT room project in progress....
« Reply #50 on: Dec 14, 2014 at 11:17 AM »
Update: Dec. 13, 2014

Officially started working on the HT room by breaking the concrete slab, very heavy manual job but I'm really focused on having my own dedicated HT room.
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM by raiden213 »
Pioneer VSX1122
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM »
Great. Another build to watch.

Offline raiden213

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM »
Thanks Gino.

Here are some few pics of the area as well as the sketch from my engineer.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s467.photobucket.com/user/raiden213/embed/slideshow/HT%20Build"></iframe>
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM by raiden213 »
Pioneer VSX1122
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Dec 14, 2014 at 08:11 PM »
Update: Dec. 13, 2014

Officially started working on the HT room by breaking the concrete slab, very heavy manual job but I'm really focused on having my own dedicated HT room.

Great news Raiden, the enjoyment you will get from your build is hard to describe. The sense of achievement you will get is magic - congrats   ;D
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline raiden213

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Dec 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM »
Thanks ORB,

I drool whenever I see some of the fantastic HT's here on the site. Now that I have the room to build my own, I thought to myself why not right?

You have one of the most impressive room that I've seen so far and I am just trying to get as much ideas and inspiration from all the ones that I like. I have recently visited a A/V specialty store and it just motivates me more. I'm not sure how big of a screen I can have on my place but watching Transformer in that 130" screen they have on display was epic. I know I am very early on my construction but I am inspired each time I visit this site seeing all the amazing rooms you guys have.

Now, back to digging again. :D

Pioneer VSX1122
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #55 on: Dec 15, 2014 at 07:27 AM »
A laser projector perhaps?!

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2014 at 09:13 AM »
Thanks ORB,

I drool whenever I see some of the fantastic HT's here on the site. Now that I have the room to build my own, I thought to myself why not right?

You have one of the most impressive room that I've seen so far and I am just trying to get as much ideas and inspiration from all the ones that I like. I have recently visited a A/V specialty store and it just motivates me more. I'm not sure how big of a screen I can have on my place but watching Transformer in that 130" screen they have on display was epic. I know I am very early on my construction but I am inspired each time I visit this site seeing all the amazing rooms you guys have.

Now, back to digging again. :D

Thanx for the kind words raiden.
Happy digging  ;D
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial