Author Topic: PBA Season 39  (Read 143866 times)

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PBA Season 39
« Reply #270 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 11:15 AM »
^ The batch before David, Locsin ang inabutan ko - Saldana, Gonzalgo, Loyzaga brothers Chito & Joey, Distrito, Relosa, Gary Vargas and even Joey Marquez!  Puno ang Shakey's pag may laban ang Ginebra.  I think that was when the cult started.  Those were the days... 

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #271 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM »
^Sir don't forget DonDon "The Magic Man" Ampalayo :)
One of my favorites during that time.
Sayang lang at na-injuty sa tuhod :'(
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2014 at 11:48 AM by ♡ Louie_18™ ✌ »

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #272 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM »
The ROS team is assembled just like the Jawo led Ginebra teams before.
Puros pulot pulot not much superstars.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #273 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM »
I think best yung nakuha ng Gordon's Gin si Chris King as an import. Dun pa lalong nainlab pa ako sa BGK. haha

Anyway, malaki ba chance magkapikunan si Belgags and Pingris? haha Parehong malakas mambigay yung dalawang yan e.

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #274 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM »
^ sigurado magkakapikunan un, pero si jv cruz ang kukuha kay pingris sa tingin ko.. mas maganda panuorin pag si arana ang bumantay.. malamang si simon or barroca ang kunin nun..
The Pats way...

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM »
^ The batch before David, Locsin ang inabutan ko - Saldana, Gonzalgo, Loyzaga brothers Chito & Joey, Distrito, Relosa, Gary Vargas and even Joey Marquez!  Puno ang Shakey's pag may laban ang Ginebra.  I think that was when the cult started.  Those were the days... 
My father is a big Jawo fan, kaya Gilbey's pa lang napapanuod ko na sila.  Lalo na nung dumating na sila Hackett and Bates. Unfortunately, umalis na din nun si Arnaiz.
Know Thyself!

Offline VenoM_Unleashed

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #276 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 01:48 PM »
9 years ago February 11, 2005 nag Champion ang Ginebra, I remember it well, kasi masakit na tyan ni esmi noon, manganganak na, naka ready na 'yung gamit namin papunta ospital, pero tinapos muna namin 'yung game ng Ginebra sa bahay. After the game umalis na kame, 3:00AM, February 12, 2005 nanganak si esmi. Nag Champion Ginebra nun, nag champion din kame ni esmi with our daughter.  ;D

Fast forward, February 12, 2014 game 7 ng Ginebra kalaban San Mig Coffee, semi finals pa lang, kaya lang this time olats na  ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 01:52 PM »
^ sigurado magkakapikunan un, pero si jv cruz ang kukuha kay pingris sa tingin ko.. mas maganda panuorin pag si arana ang bumantay.. malamang si simon or barroca ang kunin nun..

I'm so sure one of the ROS guards will be posting up on Barroca or Melton.
Most likely it's gonna be Paul Lee.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline VenoM_Unleashed

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 02:25 PM »

Offline VenoM_Unleashed

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 03:47 PM »
Rain or Shine coach Yeng Guiao: "You're not gonna see my players helping opponents stand up after a hard foul."
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/rain-or-shine-coach-yeng-guiao-opens-up-on-basketball-philosophy-on-eve-of-finals

The Rain or Shine Elasto Painters have been one of the most successful teams in the PLDT Home DSL Philippine Cup in recent years.

Two season ago, the team made a run to the semifinals of the tournament. They outdid that by crashing the championship round last season.

Back in the finals for the second straight year, the Elasto Painters are hoping to finally bring home the crown.

For coach Yeng Guiao, the team’s success is a product of his basketball philosophy that has shaped the identity of the squad.

“No. 1, we have no stars. No. 2, everybody should make a contribution whether you’re playing five, six, seven minutes, or 25 to 30 minutes, which is our maximum. No. 3, we want to keep our attacking mentality,” said Guiao.

“That aggressiveness not only attacking in terms of offense but you have to attack on your defense, so the attacking mentality is not just about attacking the basket. It’s also attacking your man when you play defense, attacking their set patterns, attacking their scoring options defensively.”

A “bad boy attitude” on the court is also a must for Guiao’s players.

“Isang character pa is you’re not gonna see my players helping opponents stand up after a hard foul. Kasi sila nagtutulungan silang itayo yung natutumbang players. It’s a nice gesture of sportsmanship. But to me, I think to have an edge you have to have some contempt for your rivals,” said Guiao.

“Kahit na kaibigan mo pa yan, galit-galit muna kayo because that’s the way you really have to psych yourself up. Kung nagbanggaan kayo tapos nagtawanan kayo tapos nagtulungan kayo, you’ll really lose that edge. But after the game you can go to dinner together. Walang problema yun.”

-      -     -    -    -   -    -   -    -   -    -   -   -    -   -   -   -   -   -    -  -

Magandang laban 'to, baka makakita tayo ng UFC moves sa PBA mamaya  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2014 at 03:48 PM by VenoM_Unleashed »

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 377
« Reply #280 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 04:42 PM »
Like what Yeng Guiao said during the PETRON series, ROS needs to play fast and hopefully shoot lights-out - "limit the chances that the refs can rob them".

This is SMC they're up against. The calls that go in favor of SMC in crucial stages of games (against non-SMCorp teams) are ASTOUNDING ...... stick to their character of equal-opportunity offense and hardnosed defense.

It's a pity that a good majority of PBA fans underappreciate ROS - it's actually the closest team that emulates and actually enhances that old GINEBRA spirit (those old Jawo teams that feature warrior ragtag players) ...... no PBA salary cap violations to boot.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2014 at 05:25 PM by newwaveboy »

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 10:39 PM »
Bad endgame decisions by Barroca tonight. First, he should have given the ball to James who was coming out from the pick. He had a somewhat clear pass. Next, he should have taken the shot at the last second. Tabla-panalo yun eh. Anyway, great inbounds play by Yeng. Basang basa yung depensa ng San Mig.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 10:45 PM »
...... Next, he should have taken the shot at the last second. Tabla-panalo yun eh. Anyway, great inbounds play by Yeng. Basang basa yung depensa ng San Mig.

Bro, Tim Cone's instructions during that timeout, ensure one last shot and one offensive rebound attempt ....... any other team and this might be bad instructions, but SMC has capable tip-in players e.g Pingris, Reavis, even Devance.

Indeed, great inbound play ...... decoys/screens went as planned.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2014 at 10:46 PM by newwaveboy »

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 01:04 AM »
Bro, Tim Cone's instructions during that timeout, ensure one last shot and one offensive rebound attempt ....... any other team and this might be bad instructions, but SMC has capable tip-in players e.g Pingris, Reavis, even Devance.

Indeed, great inbound play ...... decoys/screens went as planned.

Yeah but that was for the play where James received the ball. That was the only play they designed. You can even hear Cone saying no more pick and roll. Pero di pinasa ni Barroca kay James yung bola eh so nagbago na yung play. It was Barroca's decision na how the play was going to go. Okay naman sana yun kaso minadali talaga ni Barroca eh. Di pa nga nakakalabas sa screen si James, nagdecide na siyang mag-drive. If he waited a bit, James could have gotten the pass or they could have gone with the pick and roll and spotted Devance at the right wing.

Pag tabla-panalo yung sitwasyon, mas mabuti pang maubusan ng oras at di makatira kaysa bigyan ng isa pang possession yung kalaban. As Time Cone put it, the game was "really sayang." Baka magaya nung Petron-TNT nung 2011 Governor's Cup. Petron stole Game 1 on a buzzer beater by Ildefonso and totally changed the complexion of the series.

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #284 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 01:29 AM »
hindi ko napanood talo pala san mig ko haha... bawi nalang....buti nalang nagdate kami at hindi nakapanood hihihi
Love me or hate me.....

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 05:31 AM »
Yeah but that was for the play where James received the ball. That was the only play they designed. You can even hear Cone saying no more pick and roll. Pero di pinasa ni Barroca kay James yung bola eh so nagbago na yung play. It was Barroca's decision na how the play was going to go. Okay naman sana yun kaso minadali talaga ni Barroca eh. Di pa nga nakakalabas sa screen si James, nagdecide na siyang mag-drive. If he waited a bit, James could have gotten the pass or they could have gone with the pick and roll and spotted Devance at the right wing.

Pag tabla-panalo yung sitwasyon, mas mabuti pang maubusan ng oras at di makatira kaysa bigyan ng isa pang possession yung kalaban. As Time Cone put it, the game was "really sayang." Baka magaya nung Petron-TNT nung 2011 Governor's Cup. Petron stole Game 1 on a buzzer beater by Ildefonso and totally changed the complexion of the series.

Instructions aside, I wouldn't mind a Baroca last shot attempt, despite Yap having a nice shooting streak.

Baroca made a nice spin to the basket, just unfortunate that the ball slipped from his hand during the attempt.

I recall that fateful PET-TNT game 1 play, that Ildeonso game- winner did have a dampening effect on TNT somehow ....... though many TNT players were practically limping that conference, a shorthanded PETRON (with a gem of an import, Grundy) played a great series.

===================================================

Just to show the kind of no-superstar system that ROS employs ....... I would have selected Jervy Cruz over Lee for game1 BPoG.

Jervy continues to impress with his high FG% game and rebouding skills, despite being undersized, moreso against SMC's sampayan brigade.

Pero si Quinito Henson pala ang commentator ....... Quinito, mula noon hanggang ngayon ang pinaka-clueless na commentator sa PBA - overly simplistic & head-scratching analysis as always.

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2014 at 06:26 AM by newwaveboy »

Offline VenoM_Unleashed

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 08:53 AM »
Ang ganda nga ng play ni Yeng, "nakaw play". Katuwaan lang 'yung pusta ko sa RoS thinking pagod ang San Mig dahil galing sila sa game 7 vs BGK, pero muntik pa sila manalo, buti na lang naka tres si Jeff Chan at yung nakaw play na nagpanalo sa kanila. Inubos din kasi ni Tim Cone 'yung timeout nila, while Yeng had 3 timeouts left pa ata. Pwede pa din sana makapag execute ng magandang play ang San Mig kung may natira pa silang timeout, 0.9 seconds pa din ang natira, half court set-up pa sana instead of being given a technical foul tapos sa court pa ng RoS ang inbound.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM »

Jervy continues to impress with his high FG% game and rebouding skills, despite being undersized, moreso against SMC's sampayan brigade.

His undergoal skills and tenacious rebounding reminds me very much of former Ginebra Import Michael Hackett.
Cruz is blessed to be with ROS or his game will not flourish with other teams.

Coach Yeng mapped out an excellent play that won them the game.
He had vision that Barroca was the man they should attack and during the huddle, he emphasized it very clearly that come what may the man Barroca was guarding should be receiving the ball.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM »
His undergoal skills and tenacious rebounding reminds me very much of former Ginebra Import Michael Hackett.
Cruz is blessed to be with ROS or his game will not flourish with other teams.

Coach Yeng mapped out an excellent play that won them the game.
He had vision that Barroca was the man they should attack and during the huddle, he emphasized it very clearly that come what may the man Barroca was guarding should be receiving the ball.

Indeed, Yeng Guiao's system and mentoring skills allows players such as Jervy to flourish.

Though, Jervy would also have a place in a Tim Cone-offense ....... Jervy is money-in-the-bank with those 16-foot jumpshots, something which the triangle offense would give him (e.g. Tony Dela Cruz).

The genius part of that last play ...... Guiao placed the right decoys in their right places - Jervy/Belga on top & Jeff Chan streaking for the corner three.

Everyone expected that Chan will take the corner three, especially Baroca ...... however, to be fair to Baroca, he called switch to Mallari to cover Paul Lee - unfortunate that Mallari was way too late.

Offline puffalan84

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 12:19 PM »
3 games to go.. I have a feeling that next game will be a high scoring one.. Go ROS
The Pats way...

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM »
parang patalo kagabi San Mig

saan ka makakakita na coach.. last ball possession @ 22 sec (score tie-game) .. then inbound nang sanmig "good inbound" then biglang nag timeout remaining 8.# sec

ano yan money making hehehehe

kung sa NBA nya... tsugi ka coach hehehe
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM by ayosbathere »

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #291 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 12:57 PM »
parang patalo kagabi San Mig

saan ka makakakita na coach.. last ball possession @ 22 sec (score tie-game) .. then inbound nang sanmig "good inbound" then biglang nag timeout remaining 8.# sec

ano yan money making hehehehe

kung sa NBA nya... tsugi ka coach hehehe

di ko makita ang logic dito. hindi naman sister teams ito na pwedeng pagdudahan na magbibigayan.

Cone obviously wanted to set up the last play that would give them the win. Unfortunately, they were not able to score and RoS got the ball with time still remaining.

Anyway, Cone has claimed the blame for their loss saying that his timeout allowed RoS to see the matchups on the floor and set the necessary defense. Ganyan dapat ang coach, kesa  ang player ang masisi sa pagkatalo dahil sa hindi nasunod ang play, aakuin ang sisi.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2014 at 12:57 PM by brainwashed »

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 02:10 PM »
SMC simply couldn't match up well with ROS.
Even Pringris was confused who to guard coz every player fielded by Coach Yeng can deliver in so many ways even if they're not the main focus of their offense.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline puffalan84

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 02:27 PM »
1 thing i disagree with guiao, he keeps on saying no superstar/s in ROS, Lee and Chan are considered clutch superstars.. pwede na.. :).. Go ROS..
The Pats way...

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 03:13 PM »
1 thing i disagree with guiao, he keeps on saying no superstar/s in ROS, Lee and Chan are considered clutch superstars.. pwede na.. :).. Go ROS..

What he means is his players are under his control and walang malaki ang ulo.

Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 03:40 PM »
Yes, ROS is not a superstar-laden team but they're also not made up of a bunch of role players as most people make them out to be. I think I can only name around 3 players in that lineup who have been role players all their basketball career. Si Ibañes, Rodriguez and maybe Araña.

Most of their players were the stars and go-to guys of their teams during their amateur careers. Halos lahat diyan napag-champion yung team nila sa college o kaya nag MVP or Mythical Team. Magagaling na karamihan sa kanila, wala lang playing time nung nagsimula sa PBA. They're used to playing big games and making big shots already so I wish people would stop acting so surprised when they win big games.

If you want a team that's composed of role players, then that's Barako. The talents of the players in ROS are miles apart compared to that of Barako.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 04:02 PM »
Yes, ROS is not a superstar-laden team but they're also not made up of a bunch of role players as most people make them out to be. I think I can only name around 3 players in that lineup who have been role players all their basketball career. Si Ibañes, Rodriguez and maybe Araña.

Most of their players were the stars and go-to guys of their teams during their amateur careers. Halos lahat diyan napag-champion yung team nila sa college o kaya nag MVP or Mythical Team. Magagaling na karamihan sa kanila, wala lang playing time nung nagsimula sa PBA. They're used to playing big games and making big shots already so I wish people would stop acting so surprised when they win big games.

If you want a team that's composed of role players, then that's Barako. The talents of the players in ROS are miles apart compared to that of Barako.

Let's just say the ROS players improved as they stayed longer with the team.
The togetherness factor is really clear and that's why they're the most consistent team so far.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 06:47 PM »

And Yeng Guiao would be right ...... what he means by it, he treates every player as equals and gives out no preferred treatment to anyone, be it playing time, offensive plays, etc.

Guiao will give you starter minutes one game, then relegate you to 2nd-half stringer the next.

Guiao's system has no designated scorer ...... what he does is, position each player according to his strengths and leave the players to decide the best shot.

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #298 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 07:17 PM »
And Yeng Guiao would be right ...... what he means by it, he treates every player as equals and gives out no preferred treatment to anyone, be it playing time, offensive plays, etc.

Guiao will give you starter minutes one game, then relegate you to 2nd-half stringer the next.

Guiao's system has no designated scorer ...... what he does is, position each player according to his strengths and leave the players to decide the best shot.

And if you start taking too many forced shots or cop out from taking shots when you should, you get substituted.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 07:22 PM »
And if you start taking too many forced shots or cop out from taking shots when you should, you get substituted.

Correct.