Author Topic: Bi-Wiring  (Read 48047 times)

Offline av_phile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Bi-Wiring
« Reply #60 on: Oct 25, 2003 at 01:13 PM »
Came across this article:

http://www.sonicdesign.se//biwire.html

Meron din palang diasadvantage yung bi-wirng.  What do you think?

Offline dingsky

• Collector
  • Maninisid
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Oct 25, 2003 at 05:44 PM »
naku, di ko pa-nasetup iyong ht ko pero nalilito na ako......ano kaya talaga ang maganda? biwire..o hindi? tulong........ ???

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 12:02 PM »
naku, di ko pa-nasetup iyong ht ko pero nalilito na ako......ano kaya talaga ang maganda? biwire..o hindi? tulong........ ???

I suggest you experiement with it.  I am presently bi-wired, if only to take advantage of the biwireability of my speakers and to increase the overall wire gauge between the amp and speakers.  The disadvantages are theoretical and may not be audible.  I certainly don't hear them.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2003 at 12:03 PM by av_phile »

Offline LtCool

• Collector
  • Ass U Were
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 03:32 PM »
Came across this article:

http://www.sonicdesign.se//biwire.html

Meron din palang diasadvantage yung bi-wirng.  What do you think?

IMHO, I think that it's a matter of preference, whether you love to alter sounds you hear, anyway similar to using DSP effects, equalizer, etc.

To all,
Which is better using set A & B or only A/B (one set) of your receiver's speaker outs for bi-wiring?

Thanks,
-LtCool-

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 08:05 PM »
To all,
Which is better using set A & B or only A/B (one set) of your receiver's speaker outs for bi-wiring?

I don't think it matters.  Speakers A and B are just parallel connection ponts. So you can have the A for LF and B for HF in a biwiring mode.  But you lose out the possibility of having both speaker sets A and B bi-wired.  
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2003 at 08:06 PM by av_phile »

Offline LtCool

• Collector
  • Ass U Were
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Oct 29, 2003 at 03:00 PM »
thanks sir av_phile, you have been brainstormin me a lot on this forum, i do appreciate all of your responses, your a real guru. more power to you and all the guys here in pinoydvd.

Cheers,
-LtCool-

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Oct 29, 2003 at 03:04 PM »
Thanks LtCool.  My pleasure to share what little i know with people with the same interests and hobbies.  

Offline dingsky

• Collector
  • Maninisid
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Oct 29, 2003 at 03:22 PM »
Sir av_phile, got a question, baka naitanong na din ito to some previous threads, pero i want to get straight from you.
kapag bi-wiring ba eh kailangan  for LF and B for HF in a biwiring mode, i got yammie 440 and wharf 8.1. do i need to bi-wire my diamond center as well? and how?

thanks, kasi next i will be setting up my ht next week, pag-uwi ko. hope you understand a newbie like me. thanks uli
-dingsky

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Oct 29, 2003 at 04:22 PM »
Sir av_phile, got a question, baka naitanong na din ito to some previous threads, pero i want to get straight from you.
kapag bi-wiring ba eh kailangan  for LF and B for HF in a biwiring mode, i got yammie 440 and wharf 8.1. do i need to bi-wire my diamond center as well? and how?

thanks, kasi next i will be setting up my ht next week, pag-uwi ko. hope you understand a newbie like me. thanks uli
-dingsky
Let me see if i got your question right, you want to know if speakers A or B has any prefernce for LF or HF?

It doesn't matter.  A and B are identical points in a parallel connection going through a selection switch.  

Offline dingsky

• Collector
  • Maninisid
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Oct 30, 2003 at 09:41 AM »
oh, i see, so kahit saan ko ilagay ang LF at HF from speaker to AV A & B. teka medyo malabo ata statement ko.... ulit....

eto na lang..ok kaya kung ganito ang gagawin ko:
LF from  8.1 to AV spkrA then HF from 8.1 to AV spkrB? then I will turn on both A and B sa AV?

wala bang issue sa impedance ito?

thanks po uli sir AV...:)

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Oct 30, 2003 at 10:16 AM »
oh, i see, so kahit saan ko ilagay ang LF at HF from speaker to AV A & B. teka medyo malabo ata statement ko.... ulit....

eto na lang..ok kaya kung ganito ang gagawin ko:
LF from  8.1 to AV spkrA then HF from 8.1 to AV spkrB? then I will turn on both A and B sa AV?

wala bang issue sa impedance ito?

thanks po uli sir AV...:)

For bi-wiring purposes, none that I can think of.  If you use speaker A for LF, the amp will see the nominal impedance of the speaker as having a low reactance to low frequencies.  If you use speaker B for HF, the amp will the see a high reactance to all the frequencies exccept the high frequencies.  

Offline LtCool

• Collector
  • Ass U Were
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Oct 30, 2003 at 12:55 PM »
Does this mean mas optimize yung speaker pag ginamit mong gauge ng speaker wire ay mas manipis yung connected to LF than HF? Or it's the otherway around?

Thanks,
-LtCool-

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 02:21 PM »
BUMP...

interesting topic... I am now contemplating to bi-wire my M72i...

now an additional Q...do I have to change my main speaker wires to a thinner ones for bi-wiring purposes?
Coz right now I am using a thick wires for my 2 front speakers...

tnx mga gurus...I am learning a lot of new things from this site...

Offline MiniCooper

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Feb 28, 2004 at 11:10 AM »
hi 5speed,  may take is not to switch to thinner cables. For < 10 ft cables you may want to maintain at least 14 gauge for each run.  If you have longer than that, then you can move up to 12 gauge/run.

The longer cable you have the larger voltage drop occurs due to the finite amount of resistance in the cable.

enjoy experimenting.  :)

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Feb 28, 2004 at 12:51 PM »
tnx...will experiment later.... medyo magastos sa cables eh...hehehe

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Mar 10, 2004 at 01:59 PM »
last sat. i bi-wired ny 8.1 using the following:

HF a puresonic bronze/gold guage 14 wire

LF an audiopro silver guage 12 wire
(btw am somewhat confused, i always thought kasi that the higher the guage the bigger the wires, but when i asked the sales lady for a gauge 16 she gave m  a much slimmer 1  than my guage 14 wire so i bought the 12 instead which is the thickest in the lot. am i wrong?)

i was contented with the output at first, but lately, when playing rock and metal cds i noticed a stronger twet, even ear peircing at times(on some cd albums), which i find quite not my taste. do i hve to chnge wires? did i overdo it by choosing guage 14 and 12?

btw, since i only have guage 14 wires available at that time i wasnt able to bi-wire my center, d kumasya kasi sa avr yong dlawang guage 14 wires and instead i cut a short portion of the wire and replace the plate connector w/it, shortened b-wire kung baga. now i noticed that medyo mahina na and center (volume) and have to cranked it up to 10 para marinig ko w/out resorting to increasiing the master volume (or is it just the movie am playing?) . any advice on this?

thanks.

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #76 on: Mar 10, 2004 at 02:02 PM »
last sat. i bi-wired ny 8.1 using the following:

HF a puresonic bronze/gold guage 14 wire

LF an audiopro silver guage 12 wire
(btw am somewhat confused, i always thought kasi that the higher the guage the bigger the wires, but when i asked the sales lady for a gauge 16 she gave m  a much slimmer 1  than my guage 14 wire so i bought the 12 instead which is the thickest in the lot. am i wrong?)

i was contented with the output at first, but lately, when playing rock and metal cds i noticed a stronger twet, even ear peircing at times(on some cd albums), which i find quite not my taste. do i hve to chnge wires? did i overdo it by choosing guage 14 and 12?

btw, since i only have guage 14 wires available at that time i wasnt able to bi-wire my center, d kumasya kasi sa avr yong dlawang guage 14 wires and instead i cut a short portion of the wire and replace the plate connector w/it, shortened b-wire kung baga. now i noticed that medyo mahina na and center (volume) and have to cranked it up to 10 para marinig ko w/out resorting to increasiing the master volume (or is it just the movie am playing?) . any advice on this?

thanks.

bro...the lower the gauge, the thicker the wire...the higher the gauge, the thinner the wire...thanks! 8)
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Mar 10, 2004 at 03:11 PM »
Wires exhibiting higher inductance acts like a fixed tone control that tends to roll-off the high freqencies.  It's possible your former wires had this quality so that shifting to newer less inductive wire could reveal the highs you former wires didn't.  

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Mar 12, 2004 at 11:37 AM »
bro...the lower the gauge, the thicker the wire...the higher the gauge, the thinner the wire...thanks! 8)

thanx.... no longer will i now be confused.

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Mar 12, 2004 at 11:44 AM »
Wires exhibiting higher inductance acts like a fixed tone control that tends to roll-off the high freqencies.  It's possible your former wires had this quality so that shifting to newer less inductive wire could reveal the highs you former wires didn't.  

i see. i did some changes in the controls, somehow medyo na lessen na yong highs, am actually back to a 0 knob position for both my treb and bass, pag music  i disable n lang the effect and use the analog setting for my source medyo bearable na, masarap syang pakingan now, as juxtaposed to it being irratable sa ears a few days ago.

more expirmentation in ill find what my ears is looking for...

Offline old_age

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • "keep off the grass especially when wet"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Bi-Wiring
« Reply #80 on: Apr 12, 2004 at 06:07 PM »
my personal opinion in biwiring is to use heavier gauge wire (say, gauge 11-12) on the LF or a wire that has better bass performance and not extended in the high frequency; and use lighter gauge wire (such as gauge 14-15) on the HF or a wire that is open and airy. in my case, i'm using ixos 6003 for the HF and ixos 6006 for the LF of the Mission M74 and M7C2. 

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2006 at 10:26 AM by new_age »
La Germania Single Burner
Panasonic Washing Machine
Hanabishi Floorstanding Electric Fan

Offline MJ-JM

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Apr 17, 2004 at 10:19 PM »
Hi,

m using a AEevo3 and 130, experimented on biwiring using a generic 10g DERBY for LF and 16g Durex for HF. I noticed that when using the 10g DERBY alone, smooth yung voice ni rebecca pigeon in Spanish Harlem. but when biwired. good bass and mas detailed yung hi's even yung shakers mas evident. is this a good thing? nasanay ako na voice niya na smooth, ngayon evedent the sss sound when she pronounces the "Spanish" word. in other songs sweet na.

Thanks for the comment.

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #82 on: Apr 18, 2004 at 11:04 AM »
just recently tried bi-wiring my MS 914s with audio pro ga. 12 for LF and QED same gauge for the HF... still getting used to it though... ang initial result was that humina ang volume compared to the non bi-wired connection... i now have to adjust volume control to get the same output as before... is this to be expected ??? will try to reverse the wires if i will get better results ::)
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 03:26 PM »
Am using a gauge 12 for LF and gauge 16 for HF.   For the rear surrouund, I just use audio pro gauge 10 but not bi-wired.  I bi-wire to increase the overall gauge.  The sonic difference is not audible for me. I just feel more comfortable with large gauge.

Offline SR4

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jul 29, 2004 at 06:54 PM »
Frugality without creativity is deprivation!
-SR4-

Offline bruno

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jul 29, 2004 at 11:00 PM »
Here is my take on bi-wiring:

Bi-wiring's effect can be only realized on low level resolution.  That means only during low volume passages.

Take a bare loudspeaker and connect a voltmeter on its input leads.  Now try moving the cone and notice how the needle deflects.  This is back emf.  From physics, a coil of wire moving on a magnetic field produces electricity just like a dynamo.  Just imagine when the speaker cone moves back and forth it is acting like a dynamo.  Now if a speaker system (lets say a 2-way system) is single wired the path from the woofer to the tweeter and vice versa is very short.  The back-emf produced by one driver pollutes the signal of the other driver.  Very bad!  :P

Now if it is biwired, this back emf has to travel from the length of wire of the woofer to the length of wire of the tweeter (vice versa).  By the time it reaches the affected driver, this back emf has already dropped significantly.

Of course this is only applicable on low volume passages when the back emf is small enough to be dissipated by both lengths of speaker wires.  Hence, low level resolution is increased.  :D

My two cents.  :)

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 12:46 PM »
Hi,

m using a AEevo3 and 130, experimented on biwiring using a generic 10g DERBY for LF and 16g Durex for HF. I noticed that when using the 10g DERBY alone, smooth yung voice ni rebecca pigeon in Spanish Harlem. but when biwired. good bass and mas detailed yung hi's even yung shakers mas evident. is this a good thing? nasanay ako na voice niya na smooth, ngayon evedent the sss sound when she pronounces the "Spanish" word. in other songs sweet na.

Thanks for the comment.

it all depends on your preference sir, if you like it why resist it.

personally thought, id prefer the sss "aka, sweetness" from smoothness, its the very sound many of us here, who now desires to get into tubes,  wants to achieve in there system.

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 01:35 PM »
if you hear predominantly "sss" sound on vocals, sibilance ang tawag dyan. a good system set up should not sound too sibilant. some Stacey Kent tracks will display sibilance but I never heard my system sounding sibilant whenever i play "Spanish Harlem" or any other tracks in The Raven album. in fact, listening to Rebecca Pidgeon's voice is so relaxing... yung para bang ang sarap humilata sa upuan at magkamot ng b%%%g...  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2004 at 11:50 PM by levi »

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 01:40 PM »
if you hear predominantly "sss" sound on vocals, sibilance ang tawag dyan. a good system set up should not sound too sibilant. some Stacey Kent tracks will display sibilance but I never heard my system sounding sibilant whenever i play "Spanish Harlem" or any other tracks in The Raven album. in fact, listening to Rebecca Pidgeon's voice is so relaxing... yung para bang ang sarap humilata sa upuan at magkamot ng b%%%g...  ;D  ;D
Ahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Way to go, Attorney!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2004 at 11:51 PM by levi »

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 01:43 PM »
oh yeah, that i failed to mention..... if the "sss" sound no longer sound sweet, but nasakit na sa tenga, that is no longer sweet, as companero mentioned sibilance na yan sir, in that case i suggest you remove or replace the cables you used for bi-wiring.

it should be that the voice should bring you to cloud nine in 69 fashion. :P >:D ;D