Author Topic: Saving Private Ryan 2-disc  (Read 7261 times)

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Saving Private Ryan 2-disc
« Reply #30 on: Nov 15, 2007 at 10:27 PM »
just bought a copy of the d-day 60th anniv. commemorative ed. this was previously at P999, went up to P1200, but 50% off. so final price is P600.

where did u buy this bro?

Offline r_Y_@_n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • andre marcus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Nov 15, 2007 at 11:14 PM »
just bought a copy of the d-day 60th anniv. commemorative ed. this was previously at P999, went up to P1200, but 50% off. so final price is P600.

i think they jacked up the price for this, the regular price of this is just P999. so your technically just getting a 30% discount instead of 50%.  ???  but anyway, this is still a great catch. great movie and its in DTS.  ;D

Offline JohnMcClane

• Collector
  • Yippe kay yay!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 08:33 AM »
where did u buy this bro?

at robinsons place ermita. that was the last copy.

i think there is a defect in the dvd. the scene selection cannot be played.
Live free or die hard.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 08:04 PM »
i got the 6oth commemorative edition also. 50% off, at P600.  I confirm the problem about the flames...will check scene selection later.

may i just say, the first 30 minutes is as good as advertised! my rear speakers had a work out!  ;D

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 224
« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 03:47 AM »
bought the WWII collection at avp sale at P1200. i just noticed in the part after the take-over of omaha beach, the fire in the burning debris have "shadows" extending upto the top of the screen, and overlaps on the soldiers. one i remember is when the two german soldiers surrendering, but were eventually shot by the americans.

this was confirmed also by a friend who have the first dvd release, and also by sir avphile. i don't recall noticing this video problems in the theaters.

Kinda late, but, just thought of this topic again after watching SPR last night.

This isn't a video problem. Spielberg used special lenses to replicate old WWII documentary footage. Usually, a lens is coated with a special chemical that prevents light from bouncing around the surface to give a clear, sharp picture. The lenses the production used did not contain this chemical, just like the old cameras that had their chemical coating either worn off from the field or not given enough maintenance. The resulting light coming in the lens is diffused and gives that linear "shadow" effect by scattering every which way, best seen coming from bright light sources or high contrast parts of the image.

It was a camera effect done on purpose, basically.

My D-Day commemorative digipack also has the "R2" mark on the back -- dunno if it's a mistake. Since my player can read multiregion anyway I just let it be.

Scene selection/index on my disc 1 works fine.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 10:30 AM »
bought the WWII collection at avp sale at P1200. i just noticed in the part after the take-over of omaha beach, the fire in the burning debris have "shadows" extending upto the top of the screen, and overlaps on the soldiers. one i remember is when the two german soldiers surrendering, but were eventually shot by the americans.

this was confirmed also by a friend who have the first dvd release, and also by sir avphile. i don't recall noticing this video problems in the theaters.

The effect is called a "lens flare".  I assure you that the effect was present in the theater and is present in all video formats including laserdisc.

Spielberg's objective was to present an ultra-realistic view, as if the viewer were watching an actual WWII event as filmed with cameras available at the time, like a documentary or a newsreel.

The picture was intentionally grainy and desaturated.  Lens coating was removed from some lenses, causing the lenses to be prone to "lens flares", as seen in the screencap above.

The issue has been discussed at length by cinematography students.  It is definitely not a DVD defect.

If you're interested in photography/cinematography, you'll like this article: http://www.cameraguild.com/awards/kaminski.html

Lenses in 1940 were technically inferior to today's, so Kaminski had a set of older Ultra- speeds stripped of their protective coatings to emulate the look of 50 years ago.

"Interestingly, when we analyzed the lenses, the focus and sharpness didn't change very much, though there was some deterioration; what really changed was the contrast and color rendering. The contrast became much flatter. Without the coatings, the light enters the lens and bounces all around, so the images become kind of foggy but still sharp. Also, it's much easier to get flares, which automatically diffuses the light and the colors to a degree and lends a little haze to the image." 

Kaminski would often mismatch the lenses if he had two cameras running, using one with coated Ultra-speeds and one with stripped lenses. That lent a certain lack of continuity in picture quality, suggesting an appropriate disjointedness.

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2007 at 10:10 PM by barrister »

Offline antukin

• Collector
  • pieces of you
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 02:39 PM »
whoa! more than two years after. i think what i did was borrow one of the first r3 release of spr to confirm the flames. hehe.

but i don't appreciate the "lens flare" effects. hehe

thanks so much sa explanations, dan & barrister.

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 02:46 PM »
My D-Day commemorative digipack also has the "R2" mark on the back -- dunno if it's a mistake. Since my player can read multiregion anyway I just let it be.

same as my copy, but check the discs, its printed R3.

The slipcases might be recycled from the R2 versions
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #38 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 12:22 PM »
noticed those flare effects also...but didn't mind them as I know those were effects. ;D slipcase of my copy also has R2 printed on the back but was assured that DVD was indeed R3.
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.