Author Topic: Starting a home theater  (Read 17598 times)

Offline trackers888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Starting a home theater
« Reply #60 on: Dec 12, 2007 at 03:25 PM »
Im currently planning to setup a new home theater. The room size would be 3m x 4m 12sq meters only. Possible kaya ang ht setup doon? di kaya sobrang liit? In case na pwede what speakers and avr will you recommend me to get? thanks!

Bro, we have almost the same size of room for HT (mine is 4x4mtrs) and what I can say is "PWEDENG PWEDE yan" However, dami mo dapat i-consider sa AVR or speaker like me depende sa type mong setup. Better google the reviews shared by other member and gurus here in PDVD with their setup para may idea ka.
Good luck ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2007 at 05:52 AM by trackers888 »
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 02:28 PM »
My HT room (HT gallery) is 2.9m x 4.2m.

In it I have a 90 inch PJ screen, 7 bookshelf speakers and a big sub that can demolish my house if I cranked it up, a receiver plus power amp, a separate floorstander audio setup with a huge class A amp (that images well). My seat is not even flushed to the back wall so I can enjoy 7.1 surround goodness. Plus my HT can fit 6 people...

With a little creativity, desperation... este, resourcefulness, anything can be done.  :D ;D

Small rooms are great IMO cuz they are easier to power. And in case you do a bit of overpowering (power amping, bi-amping)... the small room borders help in creating a more visceral impact. In one of my previous bi-amped setups, you can really feel the midrange hitting your skin...no & its not LFE from the subs...it was the mid range!

In case na pwede what speakers and avr will you recommend me to get? thanks!

Regardless of room size, get the best receiver your money can buy, stretch your budget if possible!

For speakers, believe me bookshelves are more than enough for that room size, specially in HT. You may insist on floorstanders but if you dont power em well, they wont be impressive. so might as well pour the money you saved from a BS (instead of a FS) to a good sub.

Whats your budget btw?
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2007 at 12:52 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline AudioAmplified

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 02:40 PM »
SIr, your room is sufficient for a good home theater system.  We have done set-ups in smaller rooms with good results nevertheless.  The key now to 1) set a budget since this is often the part that most people forget hehehe.  2) look for speakers that you will LOVE.  remember that speakers will drive your system.  They are the heart and soul of any system and the rest will just compliment the speakers.  3) Look for a matching receiver or amp and source to compliment your system. 

Just remember that your system will only be as good as the weakest link so it is important that each component down to the wires are optimized.  Note i didnt say get the most expensive system but the most optimal at the given budget.

enjoy :)

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 02:54 PM »
sir, i also have a small room 3m x 4.5m, this is a studio type apartment am just renting so this is also my Living Room, Dining Room, Bed room, storage room, PC Gaming room, HT and audio room, but I was able to fit it all here, boxes from all my equipment, 2 aparadors, 1 Refrigerator, 1 electric fan, 1 dining table. And take note, this is a room in a room because 60% of the wall is covered with bass traps and sound absorbers. Top it on with 3 people watching movie when my friends visits me here... kasya! ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2007 at 02:54 PM by threadlock »
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #64 on: Dec 22, 2007 at 01:08 AM »
There are a number of A/V gurus here in PDVD who can surely help you out to achieve the best bang-for-your-buck HT room set-up - regardless of your room size.  Most of the people in this thread know the basics, but it's an ongoing learning process for some people like me!  ;) 

On top of the upcoming advice you'll get from this forum, feel free to check out this the no-nonsense website below for a simple and clear HT 101 session just to get your feet wet.  Hope you find it useful like I did, just click the link below:

HT Learning Center

Cheers!  ;)  And good luck on this new HT adventure of yours buddy!

Offline dwek

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Dec 25, 2007 at 06:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

We already have a Panasonic LCD, a Pioneer DVD player and a USAudio Sub. Kulang na lang po talaga is the AVR and speakers. Budget po namin siguro is P30k-P50k. Yung mura sana hehe para may matira pa sa budget. :D Pambili ng DVD atbp hehe

@sir threadlock

sir pano po yung bass traps and sound absorbers?
Hanggang audition lang itech! haha!

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #66 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 09:22 AM »
Have you checked out buy and sell section? Have some good deaslk there ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline simplemind

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 09:51 AM »
My HT room (HT gallery) is 2.9m x 4.2m.

Whats your budget btw?

The above question will set your home theather project in the right direction .. ;D

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Budget HT Room Set-up
« Reply #68 on: Dec 30, 2007 at 12:16 PM »
Hi to everyone, I'm new here in Pinoy DVD and just want to inquire kung anong mura at medyo maganda n materials para sa gagawin kong HT room. Size is 3' x 3' and existing wall is concrete. Ano b pwede ilagay sa wall, kisame (made of plywood) at floor (concrete also) para ma sound proof yung area and d mag echo sa loob. Yung cheapest lang sana at tipong DIY.Thanks in advance.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Budget HT Room Set-up
« Reply #69 on: Dec 30, 2007 at 12:29 PM »
Hi to everyone, I'm new here in Pinoy DVD and just want to inquire kung anong mura at medyo maganda n materials para sa gagawin kong HT room. Size is 3' x 3' and existing wall is concrete. Ano b pwede ilagay sa wall, kisame (made of plywood) at floor (concrete also) para ma sound proof yung area and d mag echo sa loob. Yung cheapest lang sana at tipong DIY.Thanks in advance.

Pre, 3 feet by 3 feet ba?  ang liit naman yata nyan.. hehehe.. baka u mean 3 meters x 3 meters..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 07:01 AM »
Small rooms actually work better than large rooms if you can't tame those standing waves.  Listening to your speakers act like listening in near-field conditions.  Enjoy!! and Happy New Year!!!!

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 02:43 PM »
Ooops! Sorry!, Yes it's 3m x 3m. Nakita ko kc sa audition room ng 5th Ave Elect. sa Cyberzone, SM North, gypsum board (12" x 12" tile) din gamit nila sa wall, pero sounds good and pwede n sakin ung ganun. Medyo worried lang ako baka kc may asbestos content ung gypsum board e di mo maiiwasan ang direct contact dahil nasa wall. Any comments on this.

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 08:49 PM »
Any reply/ comments or kung meron nang same topic here, pls. post the link. Thanks.

Offline kokoys

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 09:20 AM »
For that size, Considering 3x4 plus putting a space for the tv , receiver and speakers,  I suggest you get speaker that are small with a good sub or a DVD home theater in a box only. It will save you space and money.

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 04:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

We already have a Panasonic LCD, a Pioneer DVD player and a USAudio Sub. Kulang na lang po talaga is the AVR and speakers. Budget po namin siguro is P30k-P50k. Yung mura sana hehe para may matira pa sa budget. :D Pambili ng DVD atbp hehe

@sir threadlock

sir pano po yung bass traps and sound absorbers?

konti na lang kulang sir!

a decent AudioVideoReceiver
a center speaker
a decent pair of Bookeshelf Speakers
a pair of rear speakers
some decent IC's & speaker wires

& ur HT will be ready to rock!

Goodluck & happy shopping sir!!!
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 08:58 PM »
3 x 4 is actually a lot larger than many Japanese rooms in their cities.  And that's why flat screen TVs are very popular.  For that size, you can even have a Sharp aquos 50" LCD on one wall and just have the center, rear and back speakers wall mounted. So that the only floor space being eaten are your front speakers, whether floor standing or standmounts and the sub.  Then watch your flat screen from a sofa about 2 meters away.  50" viewed 2 m away in HD is just awesome.   ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2008 at 09:00 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 10:53 AM »
If you are on a budget & you will use this only for HT, I saw a couple of Daiichi in-wall speakers at Cardinal audio. you will need a few renovations nga lang but imagine the space you save! and they are around 2.5k lang each!!!

Offline dwek

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 08:06 AM »
balak nga po namin lalagyan pa ng stand eh hehe pero parang maganda nga kung naka wall mount lahat pwedeng tumalon talon habang nanonood ng movie hehe

Comments naman po kasi we are planning to get a Denon 1908 avr ok po ba yun? Tapos wharfdale speakers? Medyo bago pa kasi ako sa mga ganitong mga bagay bagay eh

salamat po sa inyo mga sir! :D
Hanggang audition lang itech! haha!

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #78 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 08:26 AM »
Ok na Ok! ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 07:40 PM »
Anyone ? plsss.

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #80 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 08:21 AM »
try the therapeutic foam from uratex(yung parang egg cart), inquire from them. i think sa home depot meron sound proofing materials.

Offline softtouch

• Collector
  • Liked:
Need help for my Home Theater
« Reply #81 on: Sep 13, 2008 at 08:25 PM »
The basement of my house is completely unused.
The room I want to use is about 15x20'.
Ceiling and 2 walls are concrete (one wall has a wooden cabinet), floor has tiles.
The other 2 "walls" are open, just mosquito net, no concrete at all.
This was before open, leading to my garden.
What can I do with this 2 "mosquito net" walls?
Covering them with plywood?
I guess, everything will vibrate a lot...
I did not find any information about such a chaotic room...
Do I need plywood covered with fiberglass or any kind of wool, and then cover it with fabric?

Offline jay2

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Need help with building a dedicated HT room in a basement
« Reply #82 on: Sep 13, 2008 at 09:23 PM »
Just an opinion I would prefer gypsum board kaysa sa plywood. Gypsum ang pangtakip sa labas tapos 2x2 na kahoy patigas then ipitan mo ng rockwool 2" thick then cover it with gypsum board ulit.

Same as my present hometheater, tiles ang flooring na nilagyan ko ng carpet,tapos guest room yung likod, gypsum and rockwool yung division nila.

jay

Offline softtouch

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Sep 14, 2008 at 09:28 AM »
Just an opinion I would prefer gypsum board kaysa sa plywood. Gypsum ang pangtakip sa labas tapos 2x2 na kahoy patigas then ipitan mo ng rockwool 2" thick then cover it with gypsum board ulit.

Same as my present hometheater, tiles ang flooring na nilagyan ko ng carpet,tapos guest room yung likod, gypsum and rockwool yung division nila.

jay

Thanks for the hint! Will try to get this here in Cebu.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #84 on: Sep 14, 2008 at 12:10 PM »
Thanks for the hint! Will try to get this here in Cebu.

softtouch,

i'm weng-weng of istorya.net forum, we used to exchange pm on that forum. pls inform me when you can find a rockwool supplier in cebu. i want to build a bass trap for my ht.

weng

Offline softtouch

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Sep 14, 2008 at 04:16 PM »
softtouch,

i'm weng-weng of istorya.net forum, we used to exchange pm on that forum. pls inform me when you can find a rockwool supplier in cebu. i want to build a bass trap for my ht.

weng

I will inform you in case I get lucky...

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #86 on: Sep 14, 2008 at 09:56 PM »
Uy magandang plano to.

Sir, baka kaya mo mag post ng pix saka drawing ng dimension para makita natin kung anu magandang design.  :)

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Need help for my Home Theater
« Reply #87 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 01:38 PM »
Help naman po sa gagawin ko n dedicated home theater. Size ng room is 3m x 3m, 4 sides made of concrete wall, one side of wall may 3' x 4' glass window,  floor made of ceramic tiles and ung kisame is made of ordinary plywood. Aside from putting a floor carpet ano  b ang pinakamurang pwede kong gawin sa wall at kisame. ang gamit ko lang  na speakers ay sub/satellite package n Harman Kardon HKTS11. TIA!

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
Re: Need help for my Home Theater
« Reply #88 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 02:14 PM »
if you can but a layer of gypsum around the room it would be good.  Maybe use a diagonal layout since the square room might result to a lot of signal cancellations.

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Need help for my Home Theater
« Reply #89 on: Sep 20, 2008 at 01:42 AM »
Sir Thank U sa reply, clarification lang po. Ung buong perimeter po b ng wall at kisame ang lalagyan ng gypsum board? Ano po b specs ng gypsum board ang pwede and saan makakabili nito ng mura?