Author Topic: MartinLogan Source High-Performance Electrostatic Loudspeaker  (Read 1373 times)

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Hi Guys,

I saw this deal in Amazon. I'm really curious about the electrostatic panels. Is there a store here in NCR that sell this brand and model? I would like to audition it sana.

BTW, to those who have already heard this speaker,  please post your impressions naman.

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018Z9Y4Y/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_ir06?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_r=1W0PK4TT9PYGM9H3FAFG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1331660882&pf_rd_i=1288710011

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2014 at 08:42 PM by jao143 »
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
Re: MartinLogan Source High-Performance Electrostatic Loudspeaker
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2011 at 08:47 AM »
I've heard older MartinLogans and they are good if you have the amp to drive them. They generally need lots of current (especially the purely electrostatic ones) and don't like playing very loud.

The one you're looking at is a hybrid array (electrostat + dynamic driver), so it should be a little easier on your amp.

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2011 at 09:07 AM »
I've heard older MartinLogans and they are good if you have the amp to drive them. They generally need lots of current (especially the purely electrostatic ones) and don't like playing very loud.

The one you're looking at is a hybrid array (electrostat + dynamic driver), so it should be a little easier on your amp.

Thanks sir. What is the SQ and the sonic characteristic of this type of speaker?
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 958
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM »
very good speaker if you have the amp to drive it well. Buyer beware though.....high maintenance yang model na yan. the electrostat film gets distorted pag mainit yung room or pag natapat sa araw yung speaker.

nagkalat sa US ang ML since they began distributing it through Best Buy and Fry's. laki pa ng discounts nila sa SRP. Waay overpriced here in the Phil.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline MLfanatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2014 at 03:34 PM »
Hi Guys,

I saw this deal in Amazon. I'm really curios about the electrostatic panels. Is there any store here in NCR that sell this brand and model? I would like to audition it sana.

BTW, to those who have already heard this speaker sing, please post your impressions naman.

Thanks!

I have been using the Source for five years now. The detail and clarity is so impressive that I won't go back to using cones and domes speakers anymore for music listening.  :) I used the Source to play music and sometimes used it as HT speakers for watching movies and concert videos. In HT mode, there is no other speaker used, just the two Source speakers and the movie dialogue is so clear and pinpoint accurate, at the middle. I switch using a 12 watt tube integrated amp and a 100 watt solid state power amp to play the ML Source speakers. Both amps can play my music loudly without clipping. First heard music played through the ML Aerius in 1992 at Upscale Audio. Since then, I've been an electrostat fan. Current ML speakers are just as sensitive as most other speakers on the market, unlike the older models (80s) like CLS, which I believe was just at 85/86db. Current ones usually has a 90db sensitivity. What worries me then was it may be fragile and would break down easily, especially in our tropical climate. But nah... it's not fragile or delicate.  ;) The Source had been discontinued and is replaced by the Electromotion ESL.

Here's a mythbusting video from Martin Logan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCodk1tN4GI
The "Ask Professor Vojtko" videos are also nice to watch.
Enjoy.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2014 at 07:51 AM by MLfanatic »

Offline MLfanatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2014 at 07:42 AM »
More videos from ML: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHWP6Bq8rHw
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckoqpBmS_mw
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCIMufCQLk

ML made them about 3 years ago. It has been very helpful especially to those who are new into this hobby.  :D

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2014 at 03:06 PM »
you can buy MLs from avshop (MLY Enterprises/ The Grey Market) or Listening in Style, Shangrila Mall.
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Online luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2014 at 03:49 PM »
you can buy MLs from avshop (MLY Enterprises/ The Grey Market) or Listening in Style, Shangrila Mall.

+1 

:)