Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 271457 times)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #240 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 02:15 PM »
thanks very much Sir Ricky! pretty sure the next time i go makikita ko na ito  ;) My only worry is baka ma temp ako bumili ulit  ;)

Ha ha ha I know what you mean. Shocking yung price ni jeff,parang cellphone na lang value ng LCDs :o ;D

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #241 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 03:15 PM »

use the mindanao parking area, park on the third level. sa entrance, it's the 2nd or third store on your left.  trinoma is one big maze  >:( ;D

Thanks!

Ha ha ha I know what you mean. Shocking yung price ni jeff,parang cellphone na lang value ng LCDs :o ;D

Really very tempting  ;D I paid kasi almost half of the price the Plasma I got two weeks ago cash. The store does not accept Citibank and had to borrow my wife's credit card. Kaya technically mayron pa ako natitira budget for monthly amortization ng isa pang 32 inch LCD  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2007 at 03:16 PM by vtec3 »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #242 on: Jun 25, 2007 at 01:59 AM »
New plasma marketing campaign in Australia cites consumer blind test conducted by Synovate:

Plasma TV Is Better Than LCD And Thats Official
By David Richards | Wednesday | 16/05/2007

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/Plasma/H3Q5M9F6

Plasma promo site (Panasonic Australia): http://www.whychooseplasma.com.au/

Sony Australia's managing director responds with an open letter:

“Sony Australia is very concerned about the latest research from Panasonic and Synovate. We believe that it is fostering misleading information for both customers and retail floorstaff. It is our firm belief that rather than dispelling myths as it purports, the Panasonic campaign is actually confusing the market. 

“The Synovate study that Panasonic bases its campaign on was conducted in conditions inherently favourable to plasma rather than in the real conditions that Australians watch TV.  According to the research itself, 86% of the research group, albeit small, said that they watch TV in rooms with indirect light or with the main lighting source on. It is important that consumers and floorstaff know that the comparison test was conducted in 50lux conditions which most people would likely describe as a dimly lit room - an environment which is unlikely to match the viewing habits of the majority of Australians.

“It is also important for floorstaff to understand that burn-in is a real issue for plasma, it’s not ‘highly rare’ as described.  There are many real-world conditions such as gaming, icons from muting or pausing external devices,  watching 4:3 images on 16:9 screens or connecting a PC that can easily cause burn-in. That’s the fact and is why it is not unusual for plasma manufacturers to include burn in disclaimers within warranty conditions.

“In addition, response times for LCD are not the cause of blur as represented in the research. Our Bravia LCD TV models have response times of just eight milliseconds. TV signals are actually broadcast in Australia at 50hz, or one image every 0.02 seconds. Bravia LCD is 2.5x faster than a broadcast image. So any perceived blur is generally caused by frame rate of the broadcast and not the response time of the panel. Any ‘LCD motion blur’ simulated in the current Panasonic marketing campaign featuring Matt Shirvington are clearly simulated, but consumers are not informed of the fact that this is a simulation. That’s clearly a misleading situation. Anyone watching AFL on Network TEN in Full 1080 HD will attest to it looking absolutely stunning, and the feedback that we are receiving from consumers is confirming this fact.

“Importantly, LCD is not just a small screen technology, it’s actually more popular than plasma technology in key screen sizes greater than 32”. GfK sales figures show that LCD is clearly dominating the highly popular 40”/42” sector (720+ resolution) with 63% of unit sales and 66% of the value of the 40”/42” market is LCD and not plasma technology.  Australians are choosing LCD in the most popular sizes and that’s a fact. 

“Full HD is the future of the market in Australia and LCD screens give Full 1080 High Definition screen resolution to consumers at competitive prices. This is simply not the case with plasma.

“To conclude, I’m all in favour of marketing that drives consumers to the stores of our retail partners because it supports and benefits the industry. When advertising makes claims that create doubt in the minds of consumers and floorstaff, this, in my view, is detrimental to the entire industry. Consumers should be entering the stores with their eyes open to the facts.  Vendors should focus on the features and benefits of their own products and technologies rather than introducing misleading research that confuses the market and ultimately makes selling harder.”

http://www.current.com.au/2007/06/22/article/SVPHLUWJLD.html
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2007 at 10:28 AM by barrister »

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #243 on: Aug 12, 2007 at 09:10 PM »
i have finally started canvassing and deciding on my next tv. thank goodness for this thread, i am more confused than ever  ;D

anyway, maybe you guys can help me out. my requirements are:

(a) must have a stand (no to wall mount as i'm only renting my unit);
(b) cable tv reception (i'm subscribed to skycable silver, no digibox);
(c) can work with a simple set up (have a low-end pioneer dvd player, circa 2 years ago, possible upgrade by next year);
(d) no need for speakers ( ialready have a 2.1 set-up which i'm happy with it).
(e) not much chance of buying one of them gaming consoles (hanggang nintendo ds lang ako);
(f) very little chance of using the tv as a pc monitor; and
(g) would prefer that it be compatible with digital cameras.

I was settled on getting a 32" model. but i just came from Listening in Style and Theaterworks  the past 2 days and I'm tempted to get a 37" or a 42" model (max). thus far, the lowest priced LCD i've seen is 34k (brand: Yes, size: 32"). the lowerst priced plasma i've seen is about 50K (brand: Panasonic, size: 42", but the "bare" model).

What does "bare" or "monitor only" mean (insofara as plasma tvs are concerned)? What else do I need to buy to make it work? When I asked, I was told that I'd need to spend an additional 20k or else I couldn't watch cable, and the plug (cable wire to crt) will not work on it? I was like, what?  ???

based on the foregoing (hehe, can't help it, work phrases are hard to let go), between a P50k+ 42" plasma (which is merely HD capable, and has no HDMI inputs etc) and an almost P50k 32" LCD which is HD, with all the important connections, whichis better?

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2007 at 09:51 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Aug 13, 2007 at 06:07 PM »
maybe sir wala pang tuner yung bare model. pero i think all you would need is an old working vhs player that has tuner  ;) oops if its the industrial plasma model baka hindi din kasama yung stand. ask mo si Jeff ng Theaterworks and I am sure he will be more than willing to help you with your concerns  ;)

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Aug 13, 2007 at 06:13 PM »
based on the foregoing (hehe, can't help it, work phrases are hard to let go), between a P50k+ 42" plasma (which is merely HD capable, and has no HDMI inputs etc) and an almost P50k 32" LCD which is HD, with all the important connections, whichis better?

The unit I got has a better Cable Reception as compared to my old 43" HDTV/RPTV. Also when I computed the price per inch and also took into consideration my needs, the choice was obvious  ;D  Used to be biased towards LCD but ended up buying a Plasma and I have not regreted that decision.   ;D

Offline ericag_ph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Aug 13, 2007 at 07:44 PM »
an alternative to a vhs player to to get one of those TV tuner boxes (sells for about P2K to 3K),  the way they work:  cable coax signal plugs to it.  TV tuner box can output the selected channel video to either VGA, composite, svideo, component). Audio from the TV tuner box is stereo.  You can use this with a regular TV or PC monitor/LCD

maybe sir wala pang tuner yung bare model. pero i think all you would need is an old working vhs player that has tuner  ;) oops if its the industrial plasma model baka hindi din kasama yung stand. ask mo si Jeff ng Theaterworks and I am sure he will be more than willing to help you with your concerns  ;)

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Aug 13, 2007 at 08:42 PM »
ano po mas ok pagdating sa standard cable tv viewing plasma or lcd? balak ko po kc bumili ng 37' or bigger na tv. currently gamit ko 29' na lumang sony. Mas ok parin ba yng old tv pagdating sa standard tv? mas ok ba kung i-retain ko nalang yung old tv and use the new one to watch dvd's and xbox 360?

thanks

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Aug 14, 2007 at 07:58 AM »
ano po mas ok pagdating sa standard cable tv viewing plasma or lcd? balak ko po kc bumili ng 37' or bigger na tv. currently gamit ko 29' na lumang sony. Mas ok parin ba yng old tv pagdating sa standard tv? mas ok ba kung i-retain ko nalang yung old tv and use the new one to watch dvd's and xbox 360?

thanks

of course you can retain your old tv for cable viewing and use your new panel solely for dvds, this will be very good for your new panel's life expectancy, but to answer your first query, general observation is that plasma is better than lcd in tv viewing on sd broadcast.
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 02:52 PM »
interesting link  ;) don't know kung na post na ito before.

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.eu/home/

Offline jht3

• Collector
  • HT noob :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 09:20 PM »
Planning to buy just a 32-incher soon, upon reading the link posted above, parang gusto ko na rin mag plasma..hehe..kaya lang pang lcd lang talaga budget ko  :D
Online basketball:
www.cyberdunk.com?ref=26170

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 09:24 PM »
Planning to buy just a 32-incher soon, upon reading the link posted above, parang gusto ko na rin mag plasma..hehe..kaya lang pang lcd lang talaga budget ko  :D

meron naman murang plasma na panasonic eh 49k lang. ;)

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 09:49 PM »

Sir I suggest audition mo plasma bago ka mag decide to buy the LCD. Go to Theaterworks dami nila Plasma mayron din sila LCD then decide  ;) As posted by Jeff above may Plasma na sub 50k na ;)

Offline jht3

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Aug 16, 2007 at 12:04 AM »
meron naman murang plasma na panasonic eh 49k lang. ;)

ito po ba sir yun na-pm nyo sakn na Panasonic 32LX70?
Online basketball:

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #254 on: Aug 16, 2007 at 12:45 AM »
Plasma pa rin!  ;)

Offline rafmac

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Aug 17, 2007 at 01:37 PM »
had the same problem choosing, what I liked about the plasma is how much warmer the colors are projected.

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: Aug 17, 2007 at 07:42 PM »
ito po ba sir yun na-pm nyo sakn na Panasonic 32LX70?

no sir its 32LX70 is a LCD, the 49k is 42PS9 it come w/a wall mount, composite input, s video input componet input and pc input. all you need is a cable box and cheap speakers around 700 pair (daichi) and you have a tv. ;D

meron di isa 42PG9 60k w/speakers na and same as all of the above, all you need is a cable box. ;)

Offline jht3

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Aug 17, 2007 at 08:44 PM »
ah, i see..my bad hehe  ;D noob eh  :D
Online basketball:

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Aug 17, 2007 at 09:17 PM »
interesting link  ;) don't know kung na post na ito before.

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.eu/home/

The problem with this article is that it is pro-plasma.

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Aug 17, 2007 at 09:40 PM »
well, i'm still sufficiently confused  ??? presently choosing between the panasonic viera 42pv70 and the toshiba 37a3000, both of which are getting good reviews.

i can't afford to pay either in cash  ;D so i'm looking at the best 0% deal. the one thing going in favor of the toshiba is that my budget for this year (and the next) will be severely affected if i insist on the pana.  hahaha! mahirap talaga kung ang budget ay pang 32" lang. parang PQ and whatever else are playing second fiddle to cash constraints.

Offline jht3

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Aug 17, 2007 at 10:34 PM »
mahirap talaga kung ang budget ay pang 32" lang. parang PQ and whatever else are playing second fiddle to cash constraints.

i can relate to this hehe  ;D
Online basketball:

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Aug 18, 2007 at 08:14 AM »
well, i'm still sufficiently confused  ??? presently choosing between the panasonic viera 42pv70 and the toshiba 37a3000, both of which are getting good reviews.

i can't afford to pay either in cash  ;D so i'm looking at the best 0% deal. the one thing going in favor of the toshiba is that my budget for this year (and the next) will be severely affected if i insist on the pana.  hahaha! mahirap talaga kung ang budget ay pang 32" lang. parang PQ and whatever else are playing second fiddle to cash constraints.

kaya lang its more a problem if after buying something you realize na dapat you should have gotten the other  ;)  ;)  ;) baka mapalaki lalo ang gastos  ;)

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Aug 18, 2007 at 01:45 PM »
vtec3! so ano nga ba ang dapat kong kunin? LCD or yung 50pv70? haha pampagulo ba?

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Aug 18, 2007 at 06:44 PM »
vtec3! so ano nga ba ang dapat kong kunin? LCD or yung 50pv70? haha pampagulo ba?

sa akin kt mas maganda ang Plasma (mostly DVD viewing kasi ang use ko) when my kids play games they use a regular tv  ;)

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 08:03 PM »
hi!

i read somewhere that LCDs work best under bright conditions and the plasma, for watching in the dark. if my (would-be) plasma/lcd will be placed near a window (which is a light source e.g. morning sunshine), would that be a problem? does that mean i should get an LCD rather than a plasma?

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 08:26 PM »
window blinds or blacked out curtains will do the trick if you decide on a plasma, just my 2cents ;)
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 08:11 AM »
hi!

i read somewhere that LCDs work best under bright conditions and the plasma, for watching in the dark. if my (would-be) plasma/lcd will be placed near a window (which is a light source e.g. morning sunshine), would that be a problem? does that mean i should get an LCD rather than a plasma?

That was my major concern also before. Kasi the Plasma will be placed directly opposite the window. So kapag naka patay yung plasma parang itong mirror and I can see the windows. Pero a totally different story kapag naka bukas na yung Plasma, very satisfied ako diko nakikita yung reflection ng window  ;D I have the Hitachi PD 9800 which has an anti glare feature and all I can say is it works  ;D Yan din ang first consideration ko years ago when I bought my first big screen Flat TV yung mayron anti glare. The simplest solution however is putting blinds sa windows.

I suggest you  visit Theaterworks mayron dun Pana and Hitachi which you can audition side by side. Although I dont know if the Pana has this feature also  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2007 at 12:01 PM by vtec3 »

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 09:49 AM »
@vtec 3,

how much did you get the Hitachi PD9800? this is the one that's getting good reviews at cnet.asia, right?

i am currently choosing between this one and the pana 42pv70 :)

thanks!
Ye Boy! :p

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 11:58 AM »
pol, got the PD9800 when above 100k pa price nito  :( now i think a little over 90k na lang ito. Invited some friends din and show them both Pana and Hitachi and lahat Hitachi yung nagustuhan  ;) Dito sa forum I think mas madami ang favor sa Pana but kanya kanya din kasing preference. I like the color of the Hitachi better, sabi nila mas natural daw yung color nung Pana. But definitely both models i fell are better than the 40" LCD that I have auditioned and mas mura pa  ;)

Specs wise also I think mas lamang yung Hitachi, although i did not get it base sa specs sa color lang talaga  ;)

Yes this is the one that has good reviews sa Cnet asia  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2007 at 11:59 AM by vtec3 »

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
HDMI
« Reply #269 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 11:42 PM »
A few questions:

1. is it important to get a unit which has more than one HDMI input? for example, the samsung LCDs proudly claim to have three. i'm assuming that one will be used with a dvd player. what will the other HDMI inputs be used for - gaming consoles such as the PS3? any others?

2. i've been reading up on the plasma thread and the 100 hours break in. Is it correct to assume that there would be no such break in period for an LCD? Is the break-in period too much trouble? with my schedule, i don't think i'll reach 100 hours until more than 2 months later.