Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 271485 times)

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #480 on: Jun 07, 2008 at 11:16 PM »
as said mga bro maski 42" pv70 lang basta marunong ka magtweak ng settings mapapaganda mo ang text output nyan  ;D
pero mas malinaw parin ang lcdtv :D

sa 50pv70 using VGA at 800x600 resolution the font clarity is the same as my friend's sammy 40R71, no tweaking was done yet on the plasma. my viewing distance is around 4 meters and all the fonts are very clear. if using HDMI, it will probably be better. i think as long as it is a 1 meg plasma panel it should be at par with an lcd.

Offline charlie 669

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #481 on: Jun 08, 2008 at 08:04 PM »
hooked up an hp laptop to my 50pv70 via VGA, the fonts are very clear just like an lcd. maybe this is due to the panels true 720p (1 megapixel) native resolution.

below are the sample pics.

malinaw boss ah! Ganda set up mo

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #482 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 12:08 PM »
thanks sir charlie 669. i know you own a bunch of pv70's, try the 50" with a pc using VGA muna and you'll be surprised with the clarity of the fonts. im saving up for an htpc, ang sarap kasi mag surf sa web from the couch ;D

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #483 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 09:15 PM »
I used to work for Fujitsu, and we used the first generations of plasma screens basically for PC presentations....even the first generation plasmas at 42-inch size in the late 90's are able to produce clear PC outputs - those are not even 720p capable screens ... people should not be worried about the PC output quality issues when connecting those to your PC's for the purpose of displaying standard PC images...it should just be a matter of adjusting the display or pc configuration

It's another story however if you want to display HD video from your PC ... you'll need a good video card (hdcp capable) or the new IGP integrated motherboard 780g chipset from AMD or the likes, and an HDMI output
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #484 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 11:03 PM »
sa 50pv70 using VGA at 800x600 resolution the font clarity is the same as my friend's sammy 40R71, no tweaking was done yet on the plasma. my viewing distance is around 4 meters and all the fonts are very clear. if using HDMI, it will probably be better. i think as long as it is a 1 meg plasma panel it should be at par with an lcd.

not necessarily 1 mp bro .. pwede naman basta adjusted ang DPI settings  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #485 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 12:16 AM »
not necessarily 1 mp bro .. pwede naman basta adjusted ang DPI settings  :D

i am just basing my comments from the feedback of nemesis that the 42pv70's font is not as clear as the 50pv70. also, noticed that lots of 42pv70 owners complained on the font clarity. i actually would want to see the fonts from a 42pv70. can you please post some pics from your plasma if it is possible?

i have not tweaked the font settings yet, it was only tested plug n play and the fonts were already very clear at 4.5 meter distance. will fiddle with the settings for comparison but as of now it doesn't need any adjustment.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2008 at 12:19 AM by GneW »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #486 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 02:30 AM »
i am just basing my comments from the feedback of nemesis that the 42pv70's font is not as clear as the 50pv70. also, noticed that lots of 42pv70 owners complained on the font clarity. i actually would want to see the fonts from a 42pv70. can you please post some pics from your plasma if it is possible?

i have not tweaked the font settings yet, it was only tested plug n play and the fonts were already very clear at 4.5 meter distance. will fiddle with the settings for comparison but as of now it doesn't need any adjustment.

sige ill try baka next week na .. naglilipat kasi ako ngayon kaya medyo walang time .. btw sa friend ko yung 42" pv70 .. :D
matagal ko ng gusto i-post yun, since nag post si giospike dati na pangit daw ang text ng panasonic lx77 na lcdtv (long story) .. kaso nakalimutan ko na rin .. ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #487 on: Jun 26, 2008 at 01:11 AM »
Up for this.

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: Jun 26, 2008 at 06:16 PM »

sir, can I share something about the font/picture clarity, re: 42pv70 vs 50pv70?

42pv70 resolution for PC use = 1024 x 768 right? link: http://www.otest.co.uk/test-results/panasonic-th-42pv70-px70-115497.html
50pv70 resolution for PC use = 1366 x 768 right? link: http://www.priceme.co.nz/Panasonic-TH50PV70-50-inch-widescreen-Plasma/p-Details-791313607.aspx

both TVs have widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9 but:
42pv70 is using a full-screen-only resolution(1024 x 768 = 4:3 ratio) not widescreen, when used as PC display
50pv70 is using the correct wide screen resolution (1366 x 768 = 16:9 ratio), when used as PC display

This may explain why the clarity of fonts(and even pictures) in most 42" wide screen TVs (not only Panasonic) are not as clear as 50" widescreen TVs for PC use.

So I think it is just wise that if one of the goal is to use the TV in an HTPC setup, one must look for a TV that supports widescreen resolution supported by your PC(or specifically your video card).
 :)
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2008 at 06:25 PM by threadlock »
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline momay

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: Jun 27, 2008 at 12:06 PM »
sir, can I share something about the font/picture clarity, re: 42pv70 vs 50pv70?

42pv70 resolution for PC use = 1024 x 768 right? link: http://www.otest.co.uk/test-results/panasonic-th-42pv70-px70-115497.html
50pv70 resolution for PC use = 1366 x 768 right? link: http://www.priceme.co.nz/Panasonic-TH50PV70-50-inch-widescreen-Plasma/p-Details-791313607.aspx

both TVs have widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9 but:
42pv70 is using a full-screen-only resolution(1024 x 768 = 4:3 ratio) not widescreen, when used as PC display
50pv70 is using the correct wide screen resolution (1366 x 768 = 16:9 ratio), when used as PC display

This may explain why the clarity of fonts(and even pictures) in most 42" wide screen TVs (not only Panasonic) are not as clear as 50" widescreen TVs for PC use.

So I think it is just wise that if one of the goal is to use the TV in an HTPC setup, one must look for a TV that supports widescreen resolution supported by your PC(or specifically your video card).
 :)

42pv70 should still be widescreen when used as pc display since it uses rectangular pixels unlike the 50pv70 where the pixels are square.

Offline threadlock

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #490 on: Jun 27, 2008 at 12:38 PM »
42pv70 should still be widescreen when used as pc display since it uses rectangular pixels unlike the 50pv70 where the pixels are square.
1024 x 768 is not a widescreen resolution because the screen ratio is only 4:3. Whether it uses square/rectangular pixels, the images/text will appear stretched.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM by threadlock »
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline momay

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #491 on: Jun 27, 2008 at 01:00 PM »
1024 x 768 is not a widescreen resolution because the screen ratio is only 4:3. Whether it uses square/rectangular pixels, the images/text will appear stretched.

if thats what you believe, then i would not contest. just read the previous posts on this thread.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #493 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 11:14 AM »
heto explanation ni nemesis from the LG thread. hope this helps.

Hindi naman ibig sabihin pangit yung plasma sa pc.

Ang tagal na pinag usapan dito yan bro, meron pros and cons ang plasma and lcd. (go to lcd / plasma board)

LCD 1 meg 1366. > w/is good for pc

32 lg plasma wala pang 1 meg 852 lang ang resolution. > not define yung text content

Go for lcd kung gusto mo mga pc use, or bring your htpc and install it to any plasma or lcd sa shop, 42pv8/42pv80/samsung 42a450/ pioneer kuro/lg plasma. kung alin yung pumasa sa mata mo then thats you tv sir.

Yan ang ginawa ni mark aka lanchawbin of tipdpc, di pumasa yung kuro 428xg dahil wala pang 1 meg yung tv. Ask nemesisDelta7 sa tipidpc, daming alam diyan yan. ;)

Kung PC ang pinag usapan the minimum is 1 meg.
all lcds are > 1 meg.
so dapat dito mo i-compare 50 inch plasma > 1 meg kuro 508xg, samsung 50a550 (2meg), pana 50pv70, LG50pg60, etc.

ang tanong dian eh, pano kung puro dark scene ang game mo what then? kaya better try the unit and see it for yourself.

dapat yata sa lcd/plasma itong thread eh.

Offline surg

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #494 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 04:54 PM »
its a given fact that the new LCDs now have improved a lot esp on dynamic contrast e.g Samsung series 6. Don't you guys think maybe LCD have already address the black issue therefore there's not much noticeable difference bet Plasma and LCD now regarding PQ esp the deeper black issue?
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008 at 05:47 PM by surg »

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #495 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 05:56 PM »
another question lang po sa mga Plasma advocates: with the newer technology of LCD and the declining sales of Plasma compared to Lcd leading to several manufacturers giving up on Plasma production,the latest of which is Pioneer which will not manufacture parts anymore but just be outsourcing it from Panasonic, have you guys ever thought: "What would happen to after sales service, esp parts if no one ever manufacture Plasma anymore or in other words, Plasma tv was phased out?"
If that would be the case, wouldn't it be more practical to buy LCD instead of Plasma? Just a thought though

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #496 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 06:11 PM »
its a given fact that the new LCDs now have improved a lot esp on dynamic contrast e.g Samsung series 6. Don't you guys think maybe LCD have already address the black issue therefore there's not much noticeable difference bet Plasma and LCD now regarding PQ esp the deeper black issue?

I think it's best to see this for yourself and visit the stores of our preferred sellers here in pdvd ... on paper, no plasma display will beat the specs of lcd, but when you compare side-by-side it's very easy to see the difference

I was already decided to buy the Toshiba 37C3500 because of its good picture quality when I auditioned it in one of the big appliance stores, and the very low discounted price of the sellers here ... when I was about to purchase the unit, I was able to compare it side-by-side with Panasonic 42PV8 along with the other LCD's (samsung 5-series, hitachi, etc.) ... right there i decided to get the PV8 - NO CONTEST on picture quality kahit sa mga full hd na lcd on display... yun nga lang i have to shelve additional cash ...eto walang pera ngayon >:(
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #497 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 06:47 PM »

It's true that LCD has improved significantly on black levels, especially with Samsung's LED backlight.

However, the best plasma still has better black levels, image depth, and color accuracy than the best LCD. 

another question lang po sa mga Plasma advocates: with the newer technology of LCD and the declining sales of Plasma compared to Lcd leading to several manufacturers giving up on Plasma production,the latest of which is Pioneer which will not manufacture parts anymore but just be outsourcing it from Panasonic, have you guys ever thought: "What would happen to after sales service, esp parts if no one ever manufacture Plasma anymore or in other words, Plasma tv was phased out?"

Yes, we've thought about that.  Is it so unbelievable that we would buy it anyway?         

If that would be the case, wouldn't it be more practical to buy LCD instead of Plasma?

It's a question of picture quality, not practicality.

Good day mga sirs! I was decided on buying an LCD before but after reading posts in this website and talking to Sir Jeff and Vic, i'm more inclined now to Plasma.

It seems that you're having a hard time deciding. 

Just remember that you can't go wrong either way.  Both LCD and plasma have their own disadvantages.  Neither technology is perfect.

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008 at 07:06 PM by barrister »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #498 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 07:24 PM »
I was already decided to buy the Toshiba 37C3500 because of its good picture quality when I auditioned it in one of the big appliance stores, and the very low discounted price of the sellers here ... when I was about to purchase the unit, I was able to compare it side-by-side with Panasonic 42PV8 along with the other LCD's (samsung 5-series, hitachi, etc.) ... right there i decided to get the PV8 - NO CONTEST on picture quality kahit sa mga full hd na lcd on display... yun nga lang i have to shelve additional cash ...eto walang pera ngayon >:(

Same experience when I was shopping for a flat panel.   I was about get a Toshiba LCD, and researched the reviews and all.   Left for Manila thinking I was going to get a LCD TV.....but when home with a PLasma instead.   I was glad I was able too see a PLasma on display.   

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy your gears. Have fun in your journey.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #499 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 02:22 AM »
Two questions for the helpful pros here:

1) I am now making a choice between a Sony 46w300 and 50pv70. I have to admit, making this decision is harder than i thought.
Two weeks ago, I was ready for the 50pv70 ( the main choice since i will only use it for movie viewing and now willing to sacrifice some reflection in a semi lit room )
After going thru the different excellent points you guys posted on this thread ( a compliment to you all ), I decided to revisit the decision making end of it all.
So, I compared the 50pv70, 46w300 and toshiba's 46X3500 today at S&S.
I found the PQ of the 46w300 better than the two.

Is this a fair comparison? ( 50pv70 plasma and 46w300 LCD ) There is a reasonable difference in price too.
I read up on Bravias a little and got concerned about talk regarding dead pixels...

2) I am just starting to go HD. At this point, all I have are my collection of dvds using an old Toshiba SD-K350.
I know this probably belongs to a separate thread but I would appreciate some input...once i get either the 50pv70 or the 46w300, how do i get the best pic out of my dvd's....do i just buy and use a blu ray disc player and use it for dvds? that is, while i begin to collect blu ray discs? any suggestions?

Thanks again guys.

By the way, hats off to S&S crew. you've always been helpful and patient. Thanks to Sir Vic too!

I brought my wife with me to S&S today so i can show her what to get for my birthday. July 5. hehe.
Before we left the store, she asked...so 46w300 is final? I said yes.
Now, im back on this thread again confirming if I made the right choice.

Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #500 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 11:14 AM »

This is really a memorable experience--A TV for birthday celebration. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALVIN!

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #501 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 12:03 PM »
Thanks Sir Vic!
I'll let you know...or my wife will let you know. ;D
Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #502 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 01:48 PM »
Happy Birthday, sir alvinh!

Two weeks ago, I was ready for the 50pv70 ( the main choice since i will only use it for movie viewing and now willing to sacrifice some reflection in a semi lit room )
After going thru the different excellent points you guys posted on this thread ( a compliment to you all ), I decided to revisit the decision making end of it all.
So, I compared the 50pv70, 46w300 and toshiba's 46X3500 today at S&S.

Is this a fair comparison? ( 50pv70 plasma and 46w300 LCD ) There is a reasonable difference in price too.

Personally, I prefer plasma.  That's because my reference image is the picture in a movie theater.  Film is closer to the picture quality of plasma than LCD. 

But more people prefer the picture quality on an LCD, for reasons of their own.

To me, LCD looks digitized and artificial; plasma looks film-like and natural.  But to you, plasma might not look sharp enough. 

Since you have already compared the performances of those TVs closely and you have already concluded that you prefer the Sony, then go for the 46w300. 

It's a matter of personal preference.  If you prefer the Sony LCD, then that's the best choice for you, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.  ;)

I read up on Bravias a little and got concerned about talk regarding dead pixels...

Don't worry about it.

If you buy a plasma, you won't have to watch out for dead pixels, but you will have to watch out for image retention.  Pareho lang.     

Image retention is usually associated with plasma.  But LCD can also get it, except that for LCDs, it's more commonly called "image persistence":

LCD Image Persistence
Can Burn-In Happen to LCD Monitors?
By Mark Kyrnin, About.com

http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/a/LCDBurnIn.htm

How about stuck/dead pixels, can it also happen to plasma? 

Sure.  Browse these forums:

Pioneer 428XD plasma - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780471
Pioneer 436FDE plasma - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454911

I am just starting to go HD. At this point, all I have are my collection of dvds using an old Toshiba SD-K350.
I know this probably belongs to a separate thread but I would appreciate some input...once i get either the 50pv70 or the 46w300, how do i get the best pic out of my dvd's....do i just buy and use a blu ray disc player and use it for dvds? that is, while i begin to collect blu ray discs? any suggestions?

It depends on your priorities. 

If you just want to watch the latest releases on disc, then look ahead and just get a Blu-ray player.  Watch standard DVDs on the Blu-ray player.   

But if you plan to watch a lot of old films not yet released on Blu-ray (some old titles might never be released on Blu-ray), then if you want the best standard DVD picture, you need the best upscaling DVD player.  That will require another round of research.   
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2008 at 06:21 PM by barrister »

Offline 2ne

• Collector
  • Archt. Anthony Divino 09178426442
  • Liked:
« Reply #503 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 02:58 PM »

bro Im no pro here ;D however just follow your eyes desire and you'll not be lost ;) i started my choice in sony bravia lcd as well, but when i saw the pioneer kuro and  auditioned side by side with it, it didnt took me long to change my original choice.:) right there and then i picked the plasma. :D

Now, im back on this thread again confirming if I made the right choice.

that is normal bro, remember this is an investment and satisfaction is the only thing we want for our hard-earned money ;)

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #504 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 05:25 PM »
Go for Sony 46w300 if that is what your heart desires and what you think looks good.  Subjective din minsan yung video quality.  What may look good to others may not look good to you.  Besides at the end of the day, when you are watching your tv, you don't have any other tv beside it for comparison.  So reaffirm yourself that this is the best tv for me!  Psychological din minsan yan.  Most of the members who say they like Plasma are plasma owners.  Nobody would say they bought a lousy tv.  It's an expensive investment anyway.  Better yet, after purchasing your desired tv, never come back to this thread and save yourself the heartaches of hearing/reading the opinions of "experts" or, worse, noobs that this or that tv is better than yours.

My two cents. Happy birthday! ;D

Offline 2ne

• Collector
  • Archt. Anthony Divino 09178426442
  • Liked:
« Reply #505 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 05:37 PM »
Subjective din minsan yung video quality.  What may look good to others may not look good to you. 

totally true bro! ika nga e kanya kanyang "panlasa" yan ;D

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 06:53 PM »
Thanks mga bros for the greet.
No worries. I understand that by the end of the day, we are all responsible for our own choices.
That's why they created the Returns Department. Hehehe.

I really appreciate your input. All of them.
I'll keep on reading as it never hurts to learn more about the latest and greatest.

As you guys said, it's all very subjective.

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: Jul 05, 2008 at 04:04 PM »
For me beyond 37" go for plasma na. ;)

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #508 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 01:12 AM »
Thanks again to all who helped me make a decision.
Purchased my 46w300 today at S&S.

I agree with Sir Barrister. After comparing the 50pv70 and the 46w300, plasma seems to produce more film-like quality. At 720p, I'm sure i would have been happy with it too.
However, as far as my application, where the panel will be positioned in a semi-bright room ( during daytime where windows in the far corner beam light ), I know I'm happier with less reflection on screen. I'll just continue to use the projector for evening movies.

Mga bros, salamat ulit!

Next project...blu ray player so i can view my dvds a little better...will save up first. Hehe.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #509 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 02:19 AM »
Congrats!

Now that you have an LCD, you will probably need a Blu-ray player.  That's because LCD is less forgiving than plasma when displaying standard DVD sources.

With standard DVD discs, LCD will look much worse than plasma. 

But with Blu-ray discs, LCD will perform very well and will look very close to plasma.       
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2008 at 02:28 AM by barrister »