Author Topic: Is the isolation of equipment effective?  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Dracula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is the isolation of equipment effective?
« on: Jan 31, 2015 at 02:54 AM »
Does using vibrapods or any sort of isolation for your source equipment worth it? are the effects even perceptible?

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: Is the isolation of equipment effective?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2015 at 04:43 AM »
For tuntables yes. For others system and ears dependent. Depends on how revealing your system is,

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2015 at 07:43 AM »
thanks I was looking at getting vibrapods for my rega rp1

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2015 at 08:00 PM »
thanks I was looking at getting vibrapods for my rega rp1

pag sa thumping test sir may transfer then you need to isolate the table, pero kung wala naman po, then there's no need to use the vibrapods.
WCH CM U?

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2015 at 05:37 AM »
Oh okay....will save my money and not get them...i run my concertos at real low volume....and the two channel has no sub...so i guess no use for isolation

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2015 at 10:06 AM »
100% yes. Different types of isolation will react differently to every equipment. You could use reviews as a guide. Some you may not hear much but some are quite surprising on the effect it brings to a specific equipment.
Based on experience, for soft footers the effect is more on the bass, while harder types more on the highs.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 12:14 AM »
100% yes. Different types of isolation will react differently to every equipment. You could use reviews as a guide. Some you may not hear much but some are quite surprising on the effect it brings to a specific equipment.
Based on experience, for soft footers the effect is more on the bass, while harder types more on the highs.
Nice observation Edwin, I totally agree. Though with slight difference, for me softer materials will make the sq bloat a bit while the harder ones tend to tighten things up. Its just a matter of finding the right ones to match ones system.

Offline meat_eater

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 07:04 AM »
Nice observation Edwin, I totally agree. Though with slight difference, for me softer materials will make the sq bloat a bit while the harder ones tend to tighten things up. Its just a matter of finding the right ones to match ones system.

How about for isolation/decoupling of subwoofers? Is it better to use thick wood slabs (2-3 in thick) vs the foam alternative? thanks :)
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 07:52 AM »
How about for isolation/decoupling of subwoofers? Is it better to use thick wood slabs (2-3 in thick) vs the foam alternative? thanks :)

Kung floating ang flooring mo, i think you have no choice but the foam alternative.

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 07:58 AM »
Kung floating ang flooring mo, i think you have no choice but the foam alternative.

Ohh I see... Thanks boss!
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 08:09 AM »
Depends on the floor noise of the system.
When I had a lot of floor noise I did not notice the need for isolation equipment/gears.
But as the system progressed and the floor noise became practical "dead", then the need for isolation equipment to further lessen the floor noise became evident.

Does using vibrapods or any sort of isolation for your source equipment worth it? are the effects even perceptible?
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 11:08 AM »
Ohh I see... Thanks boss!

Or you can do EQ naman sa digital side if boominess and problem mo. Pero kung floating yun flooring, yun resonance ng flooring madalas affects the overall sound.

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 12:29 PM »
Or you can do EQ naman sa digital side if boominess and problem mo. Pero kung floating yun flooring, yun resonance ng flooring madalas affects the overall sound.

Actually, the floor. Floating kasi, and gusto ko sana mabawasan ung Shaking sa floor, baka mas ok sound.

It sounds good naman ngaun, It's the "What if less floor vibration" lang naiisip ko, if me improvement ba sa HT experience ko. hehehehe
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 12:43 PM »
I believe it would be like we mentioned, isolating your sub with a soft material like foam should make it sound a bit more loose (give you a bigger boom) and if you use wood slabs that are very hard it should tighten the bass (give it better control but could also make it sound less). Some wood would give off a different response though as there are so many different species and density which will provide a different effect.

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 12:48 PM »
I believe it would be like we mentioned, isolating your sub with a soft material like foam should make it sound a bit more loose (give you a bigger boom) and if you use wood slabs that are very hard it should tighten the bass (give it better control but could also make it sound less). Some wood would give off a different response though as there are so many different species and density which will provide a different effect.

Actually, I would like to try wood if it makes it tighter, kaso Publema ko with wood slabs is the possibility of Cracking, which I believe is normal habang nag dry ung wood, especially during subsonic scenes, baka ma accelerate ang cracking ng wood. hehehe.

Baka kasi pag nag crack, mag iba din ang sound, and not for the better.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2015 at 12:49 PM by meat_eater »
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 04:43 PM »
Actually, I would like to try wood if it makes it tighter, kaso Publema ko with wood slabs is the possibility of Cracking, which I believe is normal habang nag dry ung wood, especially during subsonic scenes, baka ma accelerate ang cracking ng wood. hehehe.

well if it has no use at the oment, then free tweak sya. if it does crack and split and change your sq, then replace it. at least walang cost yan for now.

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 04:52 PM »
For tuntables yes. For others system and ears dependent. Depends on how revealing your system is,

Agree. I was shocked by the improvement I got from having my equipments on a purpose built rack vs having them on carpeted concrete floor
Magico S7, Trodt Gm70, Lamm LL2 Deluxe, PS Audio Direct Stream, Aurender A10, Garrard 401

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 05:00 PM »
Agree. I was shocked by the improvement I got from having my equipments on a purpose built rack vs having them on carpeted concrete floor
Ding, pag ikaw nag upgrade naman kasi ibang level talaga eh... ikaw idol ko... hehehe

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 08:04 PM »

Lagyan mo muna ng sako ng buhangin sa ibabaw. That's the cheapest test. Pero kung for HT, masarap din naman yun may resonance ang flooring. Hehe! Pero kung for music, parang hindi maganda. Ang worry ko lang, it still won't stop the floor from vibrating because hindi mo pa din na-decouple yun sub sa floor. Baka maslumakas pa ang resonance.

Here are other options:

1. You can also try to put a heavy object underneath your sub instead. Point is, you are trying to put mass under the sub in hopes of hindi kayang galawin ng sub yun heavy mass sa ilalim. Kung hindi niya magalaw, then baka ma-lessen or mawala ang floor resonance.

2. You can try to get hold of Trod93. Dati may project sana kami na for that purpose.

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #19 on: Jun 03, 2015 at 11:08 PM »
Vibration isolation benefits lp and cd players. Emf isolation is useful for amps,speakers,preamps.
im allan - 09178087173