Author Topic: Surround Sound Setup help  (Read 4142 times)

Offline quick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Surround Sound Setup help
« on: Jul 29, 2015 at 02:13 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting a home theater as a gift for ourselves as newly weds. I wanted to have a real 5.1 setup, if I'm not mistaken, its called Matrix Surround in Sony when I worked there.  I'm no longer updated on how it works but what I want to achieve is that each satellite speaker produces a different sound when playing a movie.
(Ex. The film I'm watching shows an airplane passing by, I want the rear speaker to produce the sound of the airplane first, then going to the front speakers or some sort.)

My movie source will be my external hard drive and I know that I will need a receiver. I guess my questions are

1. To get my desired outcome, will this be the best setup or is there a shortcut. (External HD connected to media player via HDMI, Media player Audio Connected to Receiver via digital Coax or Optical cable)

2. Is the 5.1 matrix sound also dependent on the movie file? Will the 1080p usual downloads capable of this? Can the receiver mimic this outcome?

3. What receivers and speakers do you recommend and around how much? I have a very limited budget and I am looking for the cheapest possible option. I'm not looking for the loudest or powerful sounds as we will be living in a condo. I just want to achieve the surround output.

Thanks.

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: Surround Sound Setup help
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 02:29 PM »
Just a quick, and by no way extensive, answer.

1. you need 5 speakers and a sub, a receiver and a media player (media player is sometimes optional, as there are receivers that accept a HDD directly). What I currently have is a Probox attached to my media player via USB. The Media player is then connected via HDMI to the receiver.

2. to get 5.1, it will depend on both your hardware and content. Not all 1080p downloads can do 5.1.

3. This is very relative and depends on many factors. For starters, maybe you can post your exact budget and size of the room.

Offline nods

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind. Rewind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 02:32 PM »

1. To get my desired outcome, will this be the best setup or is there a shortcut. (External HD connected to media player via HDMI, Media player Audio Connected to Receiver via digital Coax or Optical cable)

Yes. That sounds about right.

2. Is the 5.1 matrix sound also dependent on the movie file? Will the 1080p usual downloads capable of this? Can the receiver mimic this outcome?

You need to check whether the 1080p encode is in 5.1.  In my private tracker, you know its 5.1 because it is included in the filename.  Without "5.1" in the filename, it means its in 2.1.

With the well known scene releases on public trackers, they post the information on the torrent page. 

3. What receivers and speakers do you recommend and around how much? I have a very limited budget and I am looking for the cheapest possible option. I'm not looking for the loudest or powerful sounds as we will be living in a condo. I just want to achieve the surround output.

Cheapest would be HTIB. However, if you would like better sound, get a pioneer/yamaha amp and wharfdale/anthony audio speakers.

Personally, I would put most of my money in speakers and go second-hand with the amp. Maybe you can go for Dali Zensors, Monitor Audio bronze or Polks.
Getting to audiophile status, one small step at a time.

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 02:39 PM »

Thanks.

1.external HD connected via USB to Media player, and then Media Player connected via HDMI to your receiver, yung TV or display device connected via HDMI to your receiver's video out. that is if your receiver is HDMI capable,but i think if your buying brand new majority or all of them are HDMI capable.

2.yes, it will depend on the file that you are playing, it must be at least 6 channel(5.1) so that you can achieve real surround sound. but most receiver can create a virtual surround from 2channel source but the panning(front/rear) audio effect is difficult to replicate from 2 channel source.

3. how much is your budget?
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2015 at 02:50 PM by rochie »

Offline bongchillog

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 03:27 PM »

Most files are 2.1 or 2 channels
files with truhd or dts hd are multichannel, however, files like these are massive. you'll also need a media player that can decode its audio.

The best is to purchase htib like what i did..
ALso, we have a really good market of original blurays @ selling section..

bottomline: it all depends on how much is your budget
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2015 at 03:30 PM by bongchillog »

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 03:29 PM »
Why is the best option to purchase an HTIB?

Most files are 2.1 or 2 channels
files with truhd or dts hd are multichannel, however, files like these are massive. you'll also need a media player that can decode its audio.

The best is to purchase htib like what i did..
ALso, we have a really good market of original blurays @ selling section..

Where is the Love? BEP

Offline bongchillog

• DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 03:31 PM »
Why is the best option to purchase an HTIB?

i mean not the best, but what i recommend, since he is living in a condo and no dedicated place

Not an expert though..

bottomline: it all depends on his budget
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2015 at 03:33 PM by bongchillog »

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 03:34 PM »
^ would you recommend to TS to start first with a good soundbar with SUB before purchasing a full 5.1 system?
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline bongchillog

• DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 03:39 PM »
^ would you recommend to TS to start first with a good soundbar with SUB before purchasing a full 5.1 system?

are you?

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 03:39 PM »
Well, good luck na lang. I hope you wont buy a new house just to setup quad subs.
Be better than the Theater.

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 03:53 PM »
If it is a Studio unit I would recommend a Soundbar with SUB.
If the Condo has a sala/or dedicated bedroom I would recommend a receiver + speakers + Sub set-up.
There are wall mounted speakers now like the goldenear supersat which are very good.

are you?
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline elim

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 03:55 PM »
what room size and budget?
i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee319/ielim/Faithful%20Sound%20brands%202_zpsttoewu3h.jpg

Offline bongchillog

• DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 04:11 PM »
If it is a Studio unit I would recommend a Soundbar with SUB.
If the Condo has a sala/or dedicated bedroom I would recommend a receiver + speakers + Sub set-up.
There are wall mounted speakers now like the goldenear supersat which are very good.

nice..

permission to hi jack thread.. (im sure ts could also relate to this)

i live in an apartment with 2 bedrooms and a living room..
i purchase htib outright to achieve a decent sound from my current 2.1 setup
in a 35k to 40k budget, can i achieve a better sound than htib?
i'm a total newbie with dedicated build.
my htib is LG BH9540tw, i realy achieved an immersive quality sound (better than i expect)

How much would be the budget in a basic dedicated build?
i already purchased the htib before i became a member here,

THanks in advance

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2015 at 04:13 PM by bongchillog »

Offline nods

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 04:12 PM »
Ako naman, I would only recommend a soundbar to someone who only wants better sound, has no plans of upgrading and doesnt want a "complicated" setup (like my old-fashioned tito :) ).

2.1 is still the way to go if you are on a budget, kasi you can still upgrade to a 5.1 in the future.

OP wants that surround feeling and no matter what marketers tell you,  surround on soundbars pale in comparison to the real thing.

Offline nods

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 04:20 PM »
nice..

permission to hi jack thread.. (im sure ts could also relate to this)

i live in an apartment with 2 bedrooms and a living room..
i purchase htib outright to achieve a decent sound from my current 2.1 setup
i'm a total newbie with dedicated build.
my htib is LG BH9540tw, i realy achieved an immersive quality sound (better than i expect)

How much would be the budget in a dedicated build?
i already purchased the htib before i became a member here,

THanks in advance

a little over 40t is achievable if you go second-hand. 

Monitor Audio Bronze 12t / pair  x 2 = 24t
Pioneer Receiver =  10t
Sub = 5t  (bought a 2nd hand whardale sub at this price here.  forgot the model na)
center = ??? 

so kaya a little over 40t.

yun lang you have to be careful with matching if different makers or same maker but different line.

plus, you have to be patient in waiting for the item you want to pop-up on the marketplace.

Offline bongchillog

• DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 04:25 PM »
a little over 40t is achievable if you go second-hand. 

Monitor Audio Bronze 12t / pair  x 2 = 24t
Pioneer Receiver =  10t
Sub = 5t  (bought a 2nd hand whardale sub at this price here.  forgot the model na)
center = ??? 

so kaya a little over 40t.

yun lang you have to be careful with matching if different makers or same maker but different line.

plus, you have to be patient in waiting for the item you want to pop-up on the marketplace.

thanks thanks..

i am a keen on waiting, problem lang, complete walang alam talaga.
sana makapag dedicated build din ako soon, i just need to educate myself with regrads to audio

i am enlighten, hope the ts too...

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 04:35 PM »
I only recommended a soundbar because in a studio unit, even an AVR is difficult to install.
I agree that it is not upgradeable just like an HTIB.

Ako naman, I would only recommend a soundbar to someone who only wants better sound, has no plans of upgrading and doesnt want a "complicated" setup (like my old-fashioned tito :) ).

2.1 is still the way to go if you are on a budget, kasi you can still upgrade to a 5.1 in the future.

OP wants that surround feeling and no matter what marketers tell you,  surround on soundbars pale in comparison to the real thing.
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 05:05 PM »
if 5.1 experience is a must, i would not recommend a sound bar. a HTIB might do the trick at first but, for sure, you will end up upgrading to separates. thus, if budget is an issue, why not go the 2.1 or 3.1 route first. it would be easy to add surrounds in a month or two, plus you can already preapre the wirrings for the same.

i have a tv room dedicated for movies with a 7.2 setup but in my masters bedroom, I just have a sound bar to give an extra oomph when watching tv :)

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 06:12 PM »
Since gusto ni TS ng true movie sound then if budget permits get a true 7.1 setup with separate receiver, fronts, center, surrounds and active sub.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 07:30 PM »

Thanks.

HTIB satisfies all your requirements. Just make sure it has HDMI or at least one digital audio input for your media tank.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2015 at 07:33 PM »

sakto yan for a decent sub or two.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2015 at 02:12 AM »
since 5.1 lang gusto mo sir at budget friendly na hindi naman nasakripisyo ang sound quality....

bili ka na lang chief ng ONKYO HT-S5800 o HT-S7700 (5.1.2)mukhang shoot naman sa budget mo po;D ;D tapos na agad problema mo, atmos ready pa >:D tanong ka kay AVSHOP bka meron ;) ;D

san ka pa?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2015 at 02:41 AM by Dodie »
WCH CM U?

Offline clairemarie_go

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 30, 2015 at 03:20 AM »
Thanks...