Author Topic: Home Theater(s) / Gym / Mini-bar - December 2015  (Read 7670 times)

Offline muscleboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Pinoy Canadian :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Home Theater(s) / Gym / Mini-bar - December 2015
« on: Dec 15, 2015 at 02:17 AM »
Hi guys,

Muscleboy here from Toronto, Canada, just checking in.  'Hope everyone is enjoying their holidays..

We moved in this house May 2015.  It had an unfinished basement.  After 2.5 months of non-stop planning and sketching with the other boss (read: wifey) we had an architect friend draw us the final AutoCad blueprint.  We then hired an experienced basement contractor who finished the work in exactly two weeks.  It was great trading ideas back and forth with their HT guy and he did everything as planned.

Here is the finished product.  I present you Muscleboy Cinema 2.0 and my main floor HT:

MUSCLEBOY MAN CAVE !!!

MAIN FLOOR HT

Cheers,

Muscleboy  ;D

P.S. All equipment descriptions are on their respective photos.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2016 at 07:34 AM by muscleboy »
Yamaha | Paradigm | SVS | Pioneer Elite | PS3 | Apple Tv | Panasonic | EluneVision | Primacoustic

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
Re: Home Theater / Gym / Mini-bar - December 2015
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2015 at 04:30 AM »
Nice setup sir

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2015 at 05:36 AM »
Nice setup sir

Thanks, pipo.. Katakot-takot na measurements yan and countless hours of planning where everything should be. I went a little overboard with the speakers as I went all in-wall but it was all worth it.

The hard (but fun) part was drawing everything from scratch and hoping the builders build it the way you envision it.  My wife and I are so particular kaya every little detail in this room has to be perfect.  The builder who already have 1,000+ projects under their belt even told us that ours was memorable and fun to do as I made their jobs easier by giving them all the measurements they needed, and that they didn't have to make second guesses (they say come of clients have them build something and have them demolish it a right after)
Yamaha | Paradigm | SVS | Pioneer Elite | PS3 | Apple Tv | Panasonic | EluneVision | Primacoustic

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2015 at 08:42 AM »
The pics show that, indeed, a lot of thought went into the design of your man cave. The lighting is very cozy.

By the way, did you install an exhaust at the back of that beautiful component rack?

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2015 at 08:53 AM »
The pics show that, indeed, a lot of thought went into the design of your man cave. The lighting is very cozy.

By the way, did you install an exhaust at the back of that beautiful component rack?

Thanks, traveler69. Yeah, lighting is all LED potlights na. I can leave them on for hours without worrying about high electricity bills. The electrician and I spent almost 3 hours discussing all the electrical details I needed including type of lighting, switch locations, and the electrical load for each of the outlets.

The rack itself has 2 built-in fans that turn on automatically but I believe I don't even need it as the new Yammy receiver and other components rarely get hot. The basement is always cool as well (21-23C) so that helps with the heat too.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2015 at 09:24 PM by muscleboy »

Offline metropharm

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2015 at 09:09 PM »
Congrats sir!Nice setup :)

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2015 at 03:45 AM »

Thanks, metropharm.  This room gets used A LOT during the winter time kaya you'd really want the best stuff you can afford given your budget ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2015 at 03:51 AM by muscleboy »

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2015 at 03:51 AM »
It just dawned on me that I didn't post any photos of what the room looked liked when a movie is playing so I added a few more.  Here are paused clips from the Star Wars VI: Revenge of the Sith movie (in keeping with the new Star Wars movie currently showing in your favorite theatres) 

I'm really glad with the decision to have the cables pre-wired and to rack everything.  There are no visible wires, no blinking or visible LEDs, no distractions whatsoever just like watching in a commercial movie theatre.  Mind you this is a matter personal preference as some people like the glow of LED lights in front  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2015 at 04:10 AM by muscleboy »

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2015 at 05:51 AM »
Added photos of the main floor HT room as well..  ;)

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2015 at 06:59 AM »
That is awesome. I like the gym integration.

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2015 at 07:52 AM »

That is awesome. I like the gym integration.

Haha. Thanks. What I do sometimes is I force myself to do a workout first before watching anything. :)

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2015 at 08:28 AM »
That is ideal. The rush opens up your sinuses and hence improves hearing. My best audio sessions are after a run.

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2015 at 02:56 PM »
Nicely done, congrats
Magico S7, Trodt Gm70, Lamm LL2 Deluxe, PS Audio Direct Stream, Aurender A10, Garrard 401

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2015 at 10:01 PM »
That is ideal. The rush opens up your sinuses and hence improves hearing. My best audio sessions are after a run.

On one of my walls I have this written on a dry erase board: "What's your excuse for not working out today?" :)

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2015 at 10:07 PM »
Nicely done, congrats

thanks. it took a few months with countless times measuring things and it is really satisfying to see your ideas put in action. many of my friends thought we used an interior designer to design the basement. ;)

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
Re: Home Theater(s) / Gym / Mini-bar - December 2015
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 08:32 AM »
Looks great, I think you did a fantastic job in laying out everything. I think you have a killer HT.

From what I could see, this is not a dedicated room...how's the sound leakage to the rest of the house when you crank up the volume?

I think my man cave would look very similar to yours if I was younger, as I was into fitness for a while as well. I was tempted to buy some weight equipments for a while, but somehow managed to convince myself out of it (not willing to cut down on my Facebook time  >:D) , except for a pair of small dumb bells and a set of resistance training bands, I don't have much. now I do the lazy stuff  ;D I spend much more time in the massage chair than in the stationary bike, they're sitting side by side.

Magico S7, Trodt Gm70, Lamm LL2 Deluxe, PS Audio Direct Stream, Aurender A10, Garrard 401

Offline deo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2015 at 10:56 AM »
Congrats sir!

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
Home Theater(s) / Gym / Mini-bar - December 2015
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2015 at 01:42 PM »
Looks great, I think you did a fantastic job in laying out everything. I think you have a killer HT.

From what I could see, this is not a dedicated room...how's the sound leakage to the rest of the house when you crank up the volume?

I think my man cave would look very similar to yours if I was younger, as I was into fitness for a while as well. I was tempted to buy some weight equipments for a while, but somehow managed to convince myself out of it (not willing to cut down on my Facebook time  >:D) , except for a pair of small dumb bells and a set of resistance training bands, I don't have much. now I do the lazy stuff  ;D I spend much more time in the massage chair than in the stationary bike, they're sitting side by side.

Dimfer, thanks. Well the room is a split between home theater and gym duties to make the room more usable. I would have wanted to use quietrock to dampen some sound frequencies but it was cost prohibitive for me at that time. I do have extra rigid roxul between the floors to help dampen the sound a bit.

It's always nice to have your own little gym. Part of my motivation is I cannot watch a movie if I don't run a 30 minute P90x3 video or a 45 minute weight training/TRX session . Regular exercise, proper diet, and sleep as you know keeps us fit. I'm a 5'9", 150 lb medium built guy with a 31 inch waistline. I plan to keep it that way so all my suits will fit nicely on me
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2015 at 01:45 PM by muscleboy »

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2015 at 01:45 PM »

Congrats sir!

Thanks, deo. 'Just getting it ready for Super Bowl 50 this coming Feb 7.. Go Patriots!

Offline tein

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sound and Vision Home Entertainment 0917-5160808
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2016 at 06:36 PM »
Very nice and neat!

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2016 at 09:42 PM »
Very nice and neat!

thanks, tein.. i was never this nice and neat (as you say it) until i met my wife ;) her neatness rubbed off on me and now one of my pet peeves is seeing visible wires on racks, walls, and floors that's why i worked so hard in designing the space to hide them. :)

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2016 at 03:28 PM »
Nice, I love it! We are also in our final draft in building our house with finished basement primarily for my HT set-up. My wife like your audio cabinet and mini bar kasi ayaw nya ng kalat. Pwede ba kita I-pm sir. Dito lang ako dito Regina, SK.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2016 at 03:29 PM by nogie »

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2016 at 09:48 PM »
Nice, I love it! We are also in our final draft in building our house with finished basement primarily for my HT set-up. My wife like your audio cabinet and mini bar kasi ayaw nya ng kalat. Pwede ba kita I-pm sir. Dito lang ako dito Regina, SK.
PM would work. Yeah go for it whenever you have the chance to rack everything up. Everything looks tidy and looks professionally done. Yeah the mini bar is just a nice addition so I don't need to go upstairs for drinks and chips. :)

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2016 at 07:24 PM »
Very Nice Sir. Thanks for sharing
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2016 at 07:39 AM »
Very Nice Sir. Thanks for sharing
Thanks. Which do you like better?  The Mancave or the main floor HT?

I suppose women will prefer the latter :)
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2016 at 07:47 AM by muscleboy »

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2016 at 06:20 AM »

Nogie, if you have not done it yet, I highly recommend upgrading to 9' or 10' ceiling in your basement. We did that in our last 2 builds and think for around $4k upcharge, sulit. Makes your basement look bigger and nicer

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2016 at 11:06 AM »
Nogie, if you have not done it yet, I highly recommend upgrading to 9' or 10' ceiling in your basement. We did that in our last 2 builds and think for around $4k upcharge, sulit. Makes your basement look bigger and nicer

Nasa "hukay" stage pa lang sir we already thought about it but our pre-approval wont allow us. Nakita kasi yong 4 vehicles naming binabayaran when they pull out our credit from the bureau. No money left kasi 10% ang required downpayment instead of usual 5%. :(
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2016 at 11:10 AM by nogie »

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2016 at 02:38 PM »
sayang, this is something that cannot be undone or upgraded later on. We were also on a budget (we did not want to exceed certain pricepoint) when we built our current residence. We did not get the hardwood floor nor the fancy countertop but went for the 9' basement. Those 2 can be upgraded later... although 8 years later, di pa rin kami nakaka upgrade  >:D

having said that, I don't want you to feel bad if you can't do the suggested upgrade, I've seen cool looking basements without this upgrade.

sorry Alain for the derail

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2016 at 09:09 PM »
That's cool yeah but I agree on the ceiling upgrade. It's not one of those things you can redo later. It was the same thing with me deciding on whether to go in-wall speakers or not as I knew it was now or never that time.

Our hobby can get expensive I know but you do get a sense of pride with a project that is well planned and well done. I went a little over budget with mine but the end result is priceless. If we do decide to sell this house in the future I can almost guarantee selling it in less than a week just because of these upgrades we've done.

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2016 at 10:28 PM »
Actually the standard ceiling height is 9" throughout, we only thought of upgrading it a little bit more at 12". Okey lang, i still have the mini bar in the basement. Maganda nga nakita ko yong rec room mo Alain. Carpet flooring is better for HT but you opted to go laminate flooring. Naalala ko kami din pala ang mag-lilinis ng floor kaya we also chose laminate for lesser maintainance.

Parehas lang tayo dimfer kasi matanda na kami (mid 40s) we dont want to exceed our budget to a pricepoint we set. It is nice to live a normal life in Canada by not working all the time just to pay your bills.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2016 at 10:54 PM by nogie »