Author Topic: Penalty charge from customs  (Read 50066 times)

Offline xage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Penalty charge from customs
« Reply #120 on: Jun 20, 2002 at 10:01 PM »
Mine have no problem aquiring two adult HK themed titles (Sex and Zen 1 & Fatal Love) from an Online Store and shipped via FEDEX which arrive peacefully and fast right at my doorstep :)
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline mchammer888

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Jun 21, 2002 at 05:36 AM »
pag isang dvd na bibilhin ko ba sa amazon iiinspect pa nila? as in one lang.... pano mo malalalaman kung saang post office kukunin?
Take a risk.....
Dare to move....
Love is a leap of Faith....
-A Walk To Remember

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Jun 21, 2002 at 08:33 PM »
When  your order arrives in the post office (which has jurisdiction over your shipping address indicated in your order), the postal authorities sends you a registered mail card advising you to claim your shipment at the designated postal office. You must bring a valid ID to identify you as the recepient plus extra cash if assessed by the customs officer at the post office.

If you will be sending a representative, accomplish the authority form at the back of the registry card that you received and make sure your representative brings his/her valid ID, the registered mail card and your valid ID (plus of course cash for the tax)

Offline cineaste

• Collector
  • Do whatever you wanna do with me, just do it right
  • Liked:
Only been taxed once at YesAsia.com
« Reply #123 on: Jun 28, 2002 at 11:44 PM »
Reading everyone's complaints regarding taxes is kinda scary.

here's my experience.

I have been ordering books at Barnes and Noble and my pourchases generlaly average around $150 and they always ship via FedERx and I have never been charged.

With Amazon, books shipped via DHL, amounting to the same as my Barens and Noble are always taxed.

When I buy 10-15 vcds at YesAsia, they always ship via DHL and I have never been taxed.  However , when I bought 20 vcds, I was taxed about 1,000 pesos (DHL din).

Interestingly, the invoice placed outside the package usually lists the value in HK dollars and it is usually about 50% lower than the actual price.  I've never asked YesAsia about this (baka mag-declare pa ng real value, patay sa customs).

I just got 4 vcds from amazon, valued about $100 and shipped via UPS and placed in separated packages of 2 vcds.

I was taxed 1,206 for one pacakge and no tax on the other.

To the table or to bed, you must come when you are bid.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Jul 01, 2002 at 02:43 PM »
I guess it would great if this thread would be merge

Local Penalty tax

A lot of information our fellow members can get with this!

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Penalty charge from customs
« Reply #125 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 08:43 PM »
I'm in malate area so for my usual standard shipping, I'd have to collect my parcel at the Ermita main post office building. All I can say pls watch out as it's a snake den esp when they know that I'm a foreigner....Geez...my tax charge range from P1,200 to P2,500 ++. There was once that I received a free T Shirt from Australia & has no invoice, they charged me P1,000 + & saying I failed to declare the true value! Yuk! This Xmas season is definitely going to be worse.

Nowdays I don't mind using EMS. Tho it's quite expensive at least the no more paying tax when I received except the P50 delivery fee. Worst scenario, I will use DHL. At least I know the tax paid is genuine not like the Ermita PO where all the crocodiles have big mouth  >:D 

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Dec 10, 2004 at 03:39 AM »
Screw You Ermita P.O. Crocodiles  >:(

Appreciate the heads up on the Ermita P.O. Pchin. I hope those fellow pinoydvd members residing nearby are assisted on the info you shared.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 06:47 PM »
Recently I ordered my dvds thru EMS. After almost 10 days plus I got worried. Actually the parcel was being held back by the custom office. Got a notice to collect it. I got annoy as I expected the EMS (that's why I paid more in the first place) to deliver the parcel straight to my office doorstep not to mention the inconvenience of travel, traffic & time wasting.  :(

Today I collected my parcel (my first order from DVDetective) at EMS custom office in Pasay City... I was brought into a room full of crocodiles sitting there basically doing nothing but on "standby" basis, i.e. waiting for their next victims to collect more Xmas "bonus" in the form of custom charge w/out receipt  >:( Well, like they say... it's a season for giving  ^-^

Ngek! My DVDective order Official Receipt states my true value of $132. How I wish DVDective.com is more aleart as in Angolz.com (they declare a much lower value). So the custom official slap me an outrageous P2,000 + custom! I put up a fight & insisted them giving me a "discounted" rate. I just offered him P500 lang but he refused to accept saying it's too low. Finally we agreed on P800! Hay nako....  at least I don't have to pay P2,000 +  :P

According to the messeger that delivered my previous EMS parcel direct to my office..normally any parcel with value above US$100 is subject to custom evaluation. This mean, EMS is not considered "pre-tax" paid  :-\
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2004 at 06:50 PM by pchin »

Offline dyobbs

• Apprentice
  • "Get Busy!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Jan 06, 2005 at 11:59 AM »
Guys,

kwestyon.... Has anyone experienced picking up parcels at the NIA Road, Diliman Postal office? How much do they charge . Any tips?

:o

Offline patring

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Jan 12, 2005 at 09:39 PM »
just picked up a package at the NIA post office last week.  it was the ROTK EE shipped through royale logistics standard shipping.  no payment whatsoever and the people there were nice too.

Offline dyobbs

• Apprentice
  • "Get Busy!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 03:34 PM »
Patring hi,

hhmmm, that's good for you. I just picked mine yesterday at NIA Road, the ROTK Gift set. As per Customs Law, anything that goes $50 and above you'll be charged with taxes, my gift set is worth $63 shipping included. So they are charging me for Php1380, but after some negotiations, i'd ended up paying Php 500... How about in your case? Maybe your DVD is worth <$50, so you're not charged. ;)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 04:41 PM »
I checked with my shipping broker, according to him there is no such thing as US$50 limit. Any amount is subjected to custom evaluation & at the custom official's discretion. However, to the customer may dispute or negotiate with the custom so that the computation can be lowered. However, he admits special discounted "arrangement" can be made which is of course without receipt. Can anyone verify the tax or custom act concerning the US$50 excess limit? Frankly, I'm very tire that those crocs simply charge inconsistently.  >:(

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #132 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 04:57 PM »
i once had a $40+ order that was charged with 1k tax, which was then lowered to 500  >:(

Offline patring

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 07:11 PM »
dyobbs,

yeah, it came out to less than $30.  i was just surprised i wasn't asked to pay even just the P30 storage fee which i was asked to pay the week before for a package from koreandvds.  it was in a different PO though.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2005 at 01:58 PM »
Sometimes if the amount is too low, say if less than US$50 or $40, they may be "lazy"  to do the extra work & just let you get off w/out paying any custom charges. But for others, esp those that are desperate...hehe they will be very hard working & charge every single centavo they can squeeze from you!  ;D Of cos, not every PO is the same  :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Jun 12, 2005 at 12:02 PM »
After going to the post office so often & the person in-charge knows me as their regular...now they are willing to give me discount in the custom fee computations... Frankly speaking until today, I'm still at loss how's the computation process is done... Well, in my next visit, I'll clarify with them  ;D

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Jun 12, 2005 at 06:02 PM »
Don't lose sleep over it, paul... I do not think anything the Philippine government does can be explained...  ;D Customs duties, taxes, penalties, traffic fines... name it and you can haggle down the price  ;D  :(
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2005 at 06:03 PM by jeckjeck »

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Jun 26, 2005 at 10:07 AM »
After going to the post office so often & the person in-charge knows me as their regular...now they are willing to give me discount in the custom fee computations... Frankly speaking until today, I'm still at loss how's the computation process is done... Well, in my next visit, I'll clarify with them  ;D

As I see it Paul, whenever you enter the postoffice, they know you "not as Mr. Paul" but "Mr. Source of Income".

I hope, this would end that they would know you as an honest and decent person and would not charge you with "Phantom" computations

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Jun 26, 2005 at 10:17 AM »
Yeah that's the way they're treating me (& everyone else).... Problem is if they use the proper method of calculation, my custom fee normally ended up btw 1.5k to above 2k easily....geez can't manage to pay that sort of amount in view of my high volume of importation. At the end, I rather accept theor so called "predetermined value" that depend on the size or weight of the package.

For example 300 for a small package, 500, 800 & 1k for the very big & heavy parcel. My Hero LE Japan R2 got whacked at 800

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 01:46 PM »
tanong lang po mga kapatid.  kung magpapadala ako via EMS at ide-declare ko as GIFT at value ng DVD box set around US$50, mayroon kayang customs charge ito?  mayroon na bang naka-experience na ganito ang paraan ng pagkakapadala sa kanila.  maraming salamat po.

shalom :)
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2005 at 01:48 PM by YrNeH »

Offline notarius

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 07:29 PM »
tanong lang po mga kapatid.  kung magpapadala ako via EMS at ide-declare ko as GIFT at value ng DVD box set around US$50, mayroon kayang customs charge ito?  mayroon na bang naka-experience na ganito ang paraan ng pagkakapadala sa kanila.  maraming salamat po.

shalom :)

Gifts are not exempt from import duties under the Tariff and Customs Code.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #141 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 10:10 PM »
Sent you a pm :-)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Sep 11, 2005 at 12:56 AM »

That is true, however in the realm of customs in Philippines they tend to bend the rules for them to earn money

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Sep 11, 2005 at 05:18 PM »
thanks for the reply kompanyero :)

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Sep 11, 2005 at 06:31 PM »
good luck bro, those customs guys at ems are strict nowadays. but if it only has $50 declared value, maybe they'll just let it go. if it doesn't have any declared value, it's still possible you'll get taxed but I won't have any idea how they'll compute that, since tax will depend on the declared value  ;D

Offline Chet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Sep 11, 2005 at 10:30 PM »
good luck bro, those customs guys at ems are strict nowadays. but if it only has $50 declared value, maybe they'll just let it go. if it doesn't have any declared value, it's still possible you'll get taxed but I won't have any idea how they'll compute that, since tax will depend on the declared value  ;D

I think dati sa MCPO they estimate the declared value.  Around $20 per dvd ata. Just like that.  Out of thin air. ???

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Sep 11, 2005 at 11:16 PM »
Yeah sometimes it depends who is on duty & whether his mood is good (depends on your luck)....if you happen to come across at the wrong time & wrong personnel...phew u will get whack for sure...at least that's what usually happen at my area.... ;D

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Sep 12, 2005 at 03:22 PM »
I think dati sa MCPO they estimate the declared value.  Around $20 per dvd ata. Just like that.  Out of thin air. ???

...reason why I don't use Makati address for airmail shipped dvds  ;D

Offline pinoydom

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 02:07 AM »

Offline wastedlyf

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 05:48 AM »
Raising up an old thread but with relevant question:

I do buy DVDs from NZ for educational purposes however, customs charges me with tax, almost 30% of the cost of material + shipping (yes, combined). Do we have any existing laws or regulations on DVD imports, particularly those for personal use?