DVD Forum > Online Shopping

DHL Customs Tax and Service Fee

(1/17) > >>

brutalpanda:
Hi,

Has anyone tried DHL to bring in an item from US or China?

I'm backing a project via Kickstarter and they are planning to use DHL as their primary courier. While I'm confident on DHL as a service, I have read horror stories on how much they "charge".

The item is less than 200USD (including the shipping fee). Would I be charged with Customs Tax still? And what's the average rate DHL charges for delivery + processing?

Thanks!

Arulco:
The last time I ordered something from Massdrop, they shipped the item to me through DHL. The value of the item was also less than $200. DHL did not deliver the item door to door and instead forwarded it to PhilPost. I only paid P112 pesos at my local postal office but damn, the item took about a month before I got it.

On the other hand, I recently ordered another sub $200 item directly from the manufacturer's US web store and paid quite a lot for fedex express shipping thinking that it would breeze through the local customs like before. The item arrived at my doorstep in four days but fedex charged me an extra P560 for a customs clearance fee upon delivery. I've used their service a couple of times already and this has never happened to me before. I guess it's just a matter of luck when it comes to the customs broker and customs officer handling the package.

brutalpanda:
Wow, Philpost? Scary but at least it arrived.

For Fedex, that's not bad. I was expecting almost double the item price. I guess the $200 USD limit for import items is being taken seriously. Good for all of us?

paolorenzo:
Ingat lang, as forex is now about P51:$1.  So mga $180 lang dapat ipa declare nyo.  And threshold amount is inclusive of shipping charges.

I had the same bad experience with FedEx.  It's an internal FedEx fee.  None of that goes to the government.  I ended up charging the seller the FedEx fees, since agreement was "Free Shipping".

arudorin:
What type of product did you purchase from Kickstarter? I've been using DHL for all of my shipments since 2012. As long as you're article is a luxury item, doesn't weigh more than 2KG, and in a small package, you'll will not be charged anything (free).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version