Author Topic: Speaker DIY'ers  (Read 310233 times)

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Speaker DIY'ers
« Reply #240 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 12:50 PM »
There is no crossover, however, the design alabanjo built uses a BSC (baffle step compensation) network and a Zobel (impedance correction) circuit. This can lower efficiency about 3 db but it's still efficient enough that a 12 watt amp has no trouble driving it.

Thanks a lot. I saw in the website that there is construction plan for the speaker box, which I can make. This will be my next project.

Offline FASTBACK

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #241 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 01:32 AM »
Wow heto yung hinahanap ko.

Bernard...Congrats bro!.. :)

eto naman yung 3" Tangband drivers... ;D

Offline alabonjo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Jan 16, 2005 at 05:17 PM »
Thanks a lot. I saw in the website that there is construction plan for the speaker box, which I can make. This will be my next project.

Good luck, Bro! may the force be with you ;D

Offline Handyman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Jan 20, 2005 at 06:20 AM »
Tim's FQ127B

Offline jacorb88

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Jan 21, 2005 at 11:50 AM »
I’ll be blunt on this. Farthest I went into electricals is installing outlets and lighting fixtures. My woodworks could be impressive though. I just want to build my DIY 3-way floorstanding/bookshelf speakers. Maybe you already have some projects that you did that could serve as my first DIY. I hope there’ll be somebody kind of enough to share his projects. Need to know what to buy incl brand (locally made only like daichi, etc), where to buy and box dimensions/design. I’m just pretty determined to make my own. Hope somebody could help. Thanks.

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Jan 21, 2005 at 01:38 PM »
Sir, I suggest you get a copy of David Weem's book, titled Designing, Building, and Testing Your Own Speaker System with Projects. National bookstore has copies. Go through the theories first sir to familiarize yourself, then the book has some simple projects, but the problem is that you need to have the same speaker drivers used in the projects or at least the same T/S parameters to achieve the same output/end product. Hope this helps

Offline jacorb88

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Jan 21, 2005 at 03:03 PM »
i was able to find tons of projects via inet. they kept on mentioning the brand dayton as cheap and bang for the buck. do we have this brand locally (raon, deeco, elswhere). thanks a lot.

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Jan 21, 2005 at 07:09 PM »
Wala yan sa raon sir :) Pero sir, pwede kayong pumunta ng raon, listen to daiichi drivers. Sa showroom meron din silang fullrange drivers. Tip sir, try listening to individual loudspeaker drivers and find one that's nice to listen to in free air. Mas madali remedyohan yung ganun kaysa pangit tumunog sa free air (di pa naka-kabit sa baffle). Kung pangit sa unang kinig palang, kahit anong notch filter gamitin, mahihirapan pagandahin.

Offline jacorb88

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Jan 24, 2005 at 03:45 PM »
how much tangband drivers 3" upto 6.5" including crossovers for which ? where to buy too? thanks.

Offline Handyman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Jan 26, 2005 at 01:16 PM »
how much tangband drivers 3" upto 6.5" including crossovers for which ? where to buy too? thanks.

PM mo si Timn8ter  :)

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Jan 26, 2005 at 09:30 PM »
I've been unable to reply to the PM so I'm going to reply here.
I don't know of anyone selling Tangband in PI. Alegria Audio offers the W3-871S in limited quantities. As for crossovers;
Crossovers should never be pre-made. They should always be built for the specific design being worked on.
http://www.pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=22682.80
First time builders may want to seriously consider the advantages of a single-driver or assisted single-driver system. Many highly regarded audio equipment designers use single driver systems for their personal systems. In my home theater I use a FE207E with a super tweeter for my mains and a dual FE167E box for my center channel.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2005 at 09:43 PM by timn8ter »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #251 on: Jan 27, 2005 at 07:19 AM »
single-driver or assisted single-driver system.

Sirs, what do we actually mean by these terms? tnx  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Jan 27, 2005 at 07:27 AM »
Single driver is exactly that. One cabinet, one driver. Since single driver systems can rarely reproduce the entire audible frequency range so they are assisted either at the low end, or the high end. Low end assistance is usually a subwoofer. High end assistance can be a tweeter or super tweeter. The goal is to eliminate having a crossover at the frequencies where human hearing is the most sensitive. Generally, if you can have a driver cover from 100Hz to 12kHz you have accomplished that goal.

Offline jacorb88

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 10:15 AM »
alabonjo,

how much are the fostex fe167e drivers? where to get it locally?
also, based on the write-up by bob brines, this single-driver speaker is designed for music, as he didn't mention its performance in relation to movies or ht.

have u tried your set in ht? hows the performance? i'm planning to use it as fronts for my ht.

thanks.

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 10:18 AM »

P4200 each from Alegria Audio

http://www.pi.alegriaaudio.com/prod02.htm

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 09:12 PM »
jacorb88,
alabanjo asked me to let you know he is unable to reply via his work Internet connection. I know that he uses the FT1600 as mains in his home theater and he is very happy with the performance. I use Fostex drivers as the mains in my home theater also. The detail and volume is very good. My center channel is a dual FE167E box.

Offline Handyman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 08:58 AM »
alabonjo,

also, based on the write-up by bob brines, this single-driver speaker is designed for music, as he didn't mention its performance in relation to movies or ht.

have u tried your set in ht? hows the performance? i'm planning to use it as fronts for my ht.

thanks.

I am using Fostex FE207e's on my BOiNk...i use them as fronts for my HT...very good for both music and movies...

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2005 at 09:01 AM by Handyman »

Offline FASTBACK

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 10:10 AM »
I am using Fostex FE207e's on my BOiNk...i use them as fronts for my HT...very good for both music and movies...

wow.... I've heard those speakers play, it really rocks.

Handyman still busy with your projects?

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 10:33 AM »
Hey Bon.
Did you put the downfiring port in the BOiNk that we talked about?

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 10:56 PM »
10% off Fostex drivers at AlegriaAudio.Com
See this thread for details.
http://www.pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=31152.0

Offline Handyman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Feb 06, 2005 at 08:47 PM »
Hey Bon.
Did you put the downfiring port in the BOiNk that we talked about?

Not yet Tim. still so many sanding job to do with the sub... ;D

Offline Handyman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Feb 06, 2005 at 08:51 PM »
10% off Fostex drivers at AlegriaAudio.Com
See this thread for details.
http://www.pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=31152.0

Bili na kayo...mura na 'to. :)

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 12:06 AM »
Here's another fun little project I just finished. I built this as a PC speaker but it's good enough to use in a small stereo or surround sound system. It uses the Aurasound NS3-193-8A 3" extended range driver. Sounds really good for a little box.

For more info visit my hobby website at http://www.timn8er.com
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2005 at 12:08 AM by timn8ter »

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 01:53 AM »
anyone here in pinas selling a shiva or tempest subwoofer ??? need these drivers for a project.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 10:04 AM »
timn8er, i noticed ur use of THIN WIRES -- will u share ur beliefs as regards Speaker Wires -- tnx  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 11:27 AM »
I tend to disregard any beliefs in the mystical properties of speaker wire. I've seen too many cases of zip cord being disguised as "boutique" cable and yet believed by "experts" to be better than "regular" cable. However, in the case of full range drivers I have personally experienced the benefit of using small gauge, single strand, solid core wire as speaker wire. I think this can be explained as providing increased resistance which Nelson Pass has shown to be beneficial.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt/firstwatt_2.html

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 01:52 PM »
timn8ter, with the beliefs of so many people here in pinoy on exotic speaker wires, your persuasion on the same came really as a surprise for me --  ;D tnx

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 02:27 PM »
This is already OT, but you should check out www.audioholics.com and check their cable face off.  No DBT (double blind test - the ONLY scientific way to check differences among commodities) ever supports sonic differences between cables.  This is just another snake oil perpetrated by companies on the unsuspecting  audiophile markets.  The power of suggestion in ads is much to strong.  And, ofcourse, expensive always panders to the need for status symbol.   ;D

But...

If you do hear differences and can afford exotic cables, let not a DBT result discourage you.  Every person operates at his subjective value assessments,   I doubt if any hobbyst ever conducts bias-controlled DBT in the privacy of his listening room anyway.  This hobby has all the room from the ridiculous and absurd to the logical and scientific.  The two need not meet.   ;D   

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 02:32 PM »
I tend to disregard any beliefs in the mystical properties of speaker wire. I've seen too many cases of zip cord being disguised as "boutique" cable and yet believed by "experts" to be better than "regular" cable. However, in the case of full range drivers I have personally experienced the benefit of using small gauge, single strand, solid core wire as speaker wire. I think this can be explained as providing increased resistance which Nelson Pass has shown to be beneficial.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt/firstwatt_2.html

Have you heard about that infamous DBT test where the subjects opined they heard sonic differences among different cables when all the while only ZIP cords were used?   

Solid core wires are relatively more difficult to manage than stranded.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they perform better.  Afterall, those speaker voice coils are solid wires anyway.   ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2005 at 02:34 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 09:51 PM »
Actually, it was at a high end show where one of the vendors (a friend of mine) was doing demos and being criticized for using a zip cord style cable so he wrapped it in some nice mesh and hooked it back up. He was told later "that's better now, isn't it?". "Oh yes" he replied.  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2005 at 09:52 PM by timn8ter »