Home Theater > Amplifier

Sugden

(1/4) > >>

cia:
I recently acquired a Sugden integrated Class A amplifier  My concern was would its 33 watts be enough power to drive my low sensitivity speakers of 85db.  What a pleasant surprise since not only was it able to drive them sufficiently but greatly improved the clarity and details of the highs and mids including the bass.  Now I am convinced of the substantial difference between Class A versus Class AB amplifiers.

Anyone else who have the same experience?

richardcruz:
Yes, Class A amps have better power driving ability compared to Class AB amps. I once had a Musical Fidelity Class A amp that sounded vastly better to the AB amp that had higher power rating. My only concern was that the Class A amp ran too hot, I got worried whether it will “burn out” sooner (or burn my house if I accidentally left it on for some time,  haha!). But the top names that have Class A should reassure of their durability and stability- apart from MF and Sugden, Accuphase, Krell make good Class A amps.

banesto:
Yes mainit talaga ang Class A amp.... but sobra naman ganda tunog.

cia:
Yes….the Class A is hot compared to the other solid state amps. However, I don’t think it is hotter than tube power amps.
Given what I am hearing now, I will accept the heat and higher Meralco bill and  hope the misis will accept the same.

I wonder why there is not much fanfare for Class A or I am just not in the know.

Own7:
My vitus difinitely sounds better at class a/b vs class a(to my ears).

Faster, blacker bacground, better macro micro dynamics, lower
Lows and more extended highs.

The only advantage i find using class a is it’s more intimate mids.
Or if you like the warmer more romantic type of presentation.

So my conclusion:
Vocals better with class a while other types of music goes to a/b.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version