Author Topic: Monitor Audio Speakers  (Read 470347 times)

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Monitor Audio Speakers
« Reply #3030 on: Apr 18, 2010 at 11:02 PM »
Can anyone confirm?  Maybe guys with RS or RX ano ba nakalagay?  made in where?  Was told kasi last year that the RS was still made in UK. 

Offline Signal2Noise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3031 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 12:25 AM »
Can anyone confirm?  Maybe guys with RS or RX ano ba nakalagay?  made in where?  Was told kasi last year that the RS was still made in UK.  

One of the safe marketing strategy, manufacturers tends to put are "Designed and Engineered in England\USA" or Assembled in China under the Supervision of (Manufacturer's name)"  if the product/brand name was already outsourced.  But if the product was built in USA or England, they will simply put Made in USA or UK and expect a much higher price tag.  

Nevertheless, for Monitor Audio loudspeakers regardless of where it was built is still a Monitor Audio. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2010 at 01:01 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #3032 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 04:35 AM »
Can anyone confirm?  Maybe guys with RS or RX ano ba nakalagay?  made in where?  Was told kasi last year that the RS was still made in UK.  

per one of the distributors/resellers, way back when i asked...

RX series comes from UK available in Black and Walnut Finish.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2010 at 04:36 AM by Jazzy Jake »
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3033 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 06:44 AM »
per one of the distributors/resellers, way back when i asked...

Quote from: audioworld on Feb 26, 2010 at 11:46 AM
RX series comes from UK available in Black and Walnut Finish.

Cheers,

Monitor Audio is owned and managed in the UK, but since 2004 its manufacturing facilities have been consolidated in China.    ("The best move we ever made," says Dean Hartley.)  According to Hartley, parts for the PL200 are sourced or made with the objective of achieving the highest quality and tolerances.

The tweeter itself—the manufacturer of which requires extremely tight tolerances—is made in Malaysia.

The final assembly is done in Monitor Audio's factory in China , with QC supervised and inspected by Monitor Audio's own staff.

Taken from: Stereophile.Com
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2010 at 01:31 PM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Online Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #3034 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 07:56 AM »
With so many companies moving their manufacturing base to China, it's hard to imagine what China is now capable of. They already have the knowhow and the industrial capacity.

I hope they use it for building affordable high-end-class products for trade. :P

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #3035 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 10:42 AM »
With so many companies moving their manufacturing base to China, it's hard to imagine what China is now capable of. They already have the knowhow and the industrial capacity.

I hope they use it for building affordable high-end-class products for trade. :P

Pati technology transfer kasama sa deal. Grabe. And may nag-kwento sa akin, pati daw yun egg yolk ata, cloned na daw ng China...?

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3036 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 11:18 AM »
Well as somebody has alluded to, MA is still MA.  Production, design and quality are still under the MA process. 

And as these foreign companies are doing, if something fails, they'll blame China.  (Remember Fisher Price and the lead paint?  As if naman wala sa supervision ng Fisher Price ang mga products na iyon.)

Anyway, thats a different matter. 

I guess it just lessens the prestige though.

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3037 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 01:51 PM »
Can anyone confirm?  Maybe guys with RS or RX ano ba nakalagay?  made in where?  Was told kasi last year that the RS was still made in UK. 

Its just the serial no. & www.monitoraudio.co.uk at the back of RX2, and 'Designed in the UK' at the back of the User's manual.

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3038 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 02:33 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoong 
Is MA Silver RX series speakers made in UK?

All MA speakers are made in China. Even the Platinum series.

But I wouldn't let this concern you. They must have very good quality control measures in place, because I've owned the GS, Platinum and Radius speakers and they are all impeccably made.

From: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17425961

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #3039 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 03:37 PM »
as for me, it does not matter really where it was made.its still an MA and this is the best I have acquired(though 2nd hand kaya mura at nabili ko). Prang yung Nike lang ni Kobe Bryant na tig 8K made in China lang din naman pero still a proud Nike product ;D ;D ;D
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline gutierrez

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3040 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 04:45 PM »
Kahit made in the Philippines basta maganda tunog  ;D

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3041 on: Apr 20, 2010 at 09:12 AM »
Its just the serial no. & www.monitoraudio.co.uk at the back of RX2, and 'Designed in the UK' at the back of the User's manual.

Like I said, if you managed to come across a product that says Designed or Engineered in USA or England or with only the serial # with the company's website, expect the product as assembled somewhere in Asia or Latin America.  Products that are built originally from their country of origin simply tagged as Made in USA/England or Canada.  Take the case of Proac and Harbeth, the labels says "Proudly Made in England" and they even put the logo of BBC for the latter. :)  That's why they're pricey because of prestige in their own tradition.

As for the case of Monitor Audio, I think MA QCs are doing their job very well for the company to provide the industry of a very competitive product. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2010 at 09:32 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #3042 on: May 01, 2010 at 11:03 PM »
mam che, sir jason and sir joey as usual maraming salamat po sa accomodation the other day, na i set ko na sya ang ganda ng tunog and very happy with it. susunod naman yung pang likod unti unti lang at makumpleto ko din yan :)

Offline beginner

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3043 on: May 02, 2010 at 12:09 AM »
susunod naman yung pang likod unti unti lang at makumpleto ko din yan :)

rxfx na po ba sunod sir?  :D ;D ;)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #3044 on: May 02, 2010 at 12:11 AM »
mam che, sir jason and sir joey as usual maraming salamat po sa accomodation the other day, na i set ko na sya ang ganda ng tunog and very happy with it. susunod naman yung pang likod unti unti lang at makumpleto ko din yan :)

nasa paligid ka lang amuy ang simoy ng gooooooooooold  ;D

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: RX2 v RX6
« Reply #3045 on: May 02, 2010 at 09:06 AM »
To those who heard RX2 and RX6 side by side, could you describe the similarities and differences in sonic character of the two speakers?

I've read that the RX2 is
- rear ported
- one big 200mm woofer
- crossed at 2khz
- MSRP is P39,500 (Audioworld)

While the RX6 is
- front ported
- two 150mm woofer
- crossed at 2.7khz
- MSRP is P59,500 (Audiowrld)

They have the same 25mm tweeters.

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3046 on: May 02, 2010 at 10:30 AM »
Beginner might be able to make a comment about the RX2 vs. the RX6.

All I can say is that they sound different enough that I wouldn't think that they're from the same line, had I not seen them (and just heard them). The smooth highs exist for both speaks, but the lows and mids are quite unique to each implementation.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #3047 on: May 02, 2010 at 11:03 AM »
rxfx na po ba sunod sir?  :D ;D ;)

rsfx lang po, rs series kase ako eh di kaya ang rx series pang rap at luther lang po yun hehehehehe

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3048 on: May 02, 2010 at 03:19 PM »
Beginner might be able to make a comment about the RX2 vs. the RX6.

All I can say is that they sound different enough that I wouldn't think that they're from the same line, had I not seen them (and just heard them). The smooth highs exist for both speaks, but the lows and mids are quite unique to each implementation.

In the German audio site www.audio.de the RX2 and RX6 were reviewed on April 2010 and Feb 2010, respectively, but not in direct comparison with each other. Based on the published numerical subjective ratings of sonic attributes the RX2 seems warmer (less neutral) and better perceived base (though lesser extension in actual measurements), while the RX6 is more dynamic, detailed and airy, more neutral. Was your impression similar?

Offline rap2x

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3049 on: May 02, 2010 at 06:06 PM »
rsfx lang po, rs series kase ako eh di kaya ang rx series pang rap at luther lang po yun hehehehehe

hahaha bakit nadamay kami dito? :D naku chismis lang po yan...si Luther lang talaga ang naghahakot ng MA 8)

Congratz sir Onkyo :) Lapit na makumpleto :D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #3050 on: May 02, 2010 at 10:14 PM »
hahaha bakit nadamay kami dito? :D naku chismis lang po yan...si Luther lang talaga ang naghahakot ng MA 8)

Congratz sir Onkyo :) Lapit na makumpleto :D

mag intay ulit ako ng kawang gawa para makumpleto ;D

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3051 on: May 03, 2010 at 11:17 AM »
In the German audio site www.audio.de the RX2 and RX6 were reviewed on April 2010 and Feb 2010, respectively, but not in direct comparison with each other. Based on the published numerical subjective ratings of sonic attributes the RX2 seems warmer (less neutral) and better perceived base (though lesser extension in actual measurements), while the RX6 is more dynamic, detailed and airy, more neutral. Was your impression similar?
Opinion ko lang:

In my memory, the RX6 sounded quite similar to the older RS series (the RS6 in particular), sans the relative brightness of the older set. Vocals sounded less shouty at higher volumes, but overall I think they were close.

The RX2 has a fuller midrange sound, which helps add weight to vocals and strings. The lows aren't as impactful or snappy as the RX6, but it was more than decent and was very coherent. Japanese drums had presence and sounded natural (not boomy), which often denotes good extension (too many bookshelves just utilize a hump on the bass response to compensate for poor extension). The tweets and woofers integrate well to the point that it almost sounds like a point source design (the RS1 integrates a tiny bit better though). It's the best MA I've heard (I haven't heard speaks from the higher lines).

For sure mas maganda ang Gold at Platinum. :D

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3052 on: May 04, 2010 at 12:44 PM »
quite intrigued already, have to hear the rx2 & rx6 side-by-side.

for the meantime here's a review of the RX2 I found floating on the net:

http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-108&lang=en

The Silver RX series from Monitor Audio is “hot”, for some time already. Awards, won comparisons, positive reviews, etc, this all makes the RX become a major player in audio. Of course those are not ideal – there are no such products – because they do not cost so much (especially given the technologies applied, and the sound), this is why it is worth to notice some elements, and which were noticed first in the review of the model RX6, by Krzysztof Kalinkowski.

. . . If I would have to characterize those loudspeakers using the previously tested bookshelf speakers as examples – I mean the Dynaudio DM 2/6, KEF iQ30 and Xavian Primissima, then I would say as follows: the Monitor Audio are as well balanced as the Dynaudio, have the bass reaching even lower than the KEF, and have equally good treble as the latter ones. And from the Xavian they inherited the ability of creating big virtual sources without the need of overexposing the bass region. But if I would not like to call upon anything, then I would say, that the RX2 sound with a well balanced, very clean sound, with very well defined sound spectrum extremes. And this is really something. The sound is detached from the loudspeakers, and we can really notice, that the rigidness of the enclosure was in scope of the works, as there was no sign of any boxiness, or any coloring of the sound by vibrating wood. It reminds me of things proposed by Harpia Acoustics in their loudspeakers – albeit at a higher price level.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010 at 12:45 PM by dts-HD 3D »

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3053 on: May 04, 2010 at 03:39 PM »
^Why do they bother to write in English when it is barely understandable. 

Anyway, was able to listen to the RX2 at SGT and Audioworld.  Really sounded great even if it was played with AVR's rather than dedicated audio gear.  Ipon mode na ito.  Next time, I'll bring my integrated amp and compare with other available speakers. 

Offline Skidmarks

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Collector
  • Quid agis, medice?
  • Liked:
« Reply #3054 on: May 04, 2010 at 09:21 PM »
Hi guys. just acquired rx2s and rx center recently and planning to get surround speakers. But purchasing the rxfx is impossible at the moment. 

Is it a good idea to have surround speakers of other brands temporarily just to complete my 5.1 setup? Or would it be better to wait for the rxfx till budget permits.

would really like your inputs on this one ??? TIA

ygpm sir onkyo :)

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3055 on: May 04, 2010 at 09:30 PM »
better wait ... :) 3.1 sound setup isn't bad :)

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3056 on: May 04, 2010 at 09:37 PM »
^Why do they bother to write in English when it is barely understandable. 

Well, its better than nothing.
Some lines are really bad, but most are tolerable naman you can get the gist after reading thrice ;D more or less

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3057 on: May 04, 2010 at 10:05 PM »
Hi guys. just acquired rx2s and rx center recently and planning to get surround speakers. But purchasing the rxfx is impossible at the moment. 
Is it a good idea to have surround speakers of other brands temporarily just to complete my 5.1 setup? Or would it be better to wait for the rxfx till budget permits.
would really like your inputs on this one ??? TIA
ygpm sir onkyo :)

Congrats! I was really eyeing for the RXFX too but tight budget didn't allow me to do so that's why I looked for a cheaper MA speaker(used BR2) to serve as my rears for the time being. Better to get the same brand to avoid timbre matching issues. I might just sell the BR2s or use them as my side surrounds or front heights when I'm able to get the rxfx in the future.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010 at 10:26 PM by dts-HD 3D »

Offline phipsi1

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3058 on: May 04, 2010 at 10:22 PM »
@dts

Are the BR2s for sale pa or phased out na? Also, I never thought timbre matching was crucial when it came to the surround speakers. Just thought that the fronts should be timbre matched.

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3059 on: May 04, 2010 at 10:40 PM »
BRs are still available bro marc, its the RS line that was phased out and was replaced by the RXs.

I do believe timbre matching is important for all speakers if you want to achieve a seamless integration of sound in your room. Each speaker has its own tonal quality so, much better if all speakers comes from one model line/series or at least same brand as much as possible.