Author Topic: Monitor Audio Speakers  (Read 468620 times)

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Monitor Audio Speakers
« Reply #3000 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 09:45 AM »
Nelson de Leon - pasensya na rin po. Well you answer it correctly naman.. may mga speaker talaga na ok sa size kahit wala ka sa sweet spot :) .

MA owner - anong ok na amp NAD, ROKSAN o ROTEL for RX2?

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3001 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM »
Nelson de Leon - pasensya na rin po. Well you answer it correctly naman.. may mga speaker talaga na ok sa size kahit wala ka sa sweet spot :) .

ARCAM, NAD, Classe
im allan - 09178087173

Offline endrik35

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3002 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 06:24 PM »
my rega brio 3 amp will do wonders for the MA rx2! Kaso reserved na to mark sa selling section!
Lenco L-75,Consonance ref 2.2 cdp,Melos MA110 pre, Muse model100 amp,Sonus faber signum
REL Strata3

Offline phipsi1

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3003 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 06:44 PM »
@Monitor Audio Experts

Wanted to "pick the brain" of the Monitor Audio experts in regards to this particular mix of speakers for my family's first 5.1 setup.

Floorstanders: RX6
Surrounds: RX1
Center: RX center
Amplifier: Denon 2310 or Onkyo 807
Sub: SVS pb10nsd

Our viewing is 99% movies - 1% music. Just wanted to make sure that this mix of speakers would result in a "theatre" experience...Also, if you guys could also suggest which amp between the denon & onkyo would serve best with this mix of speakers.

I also want to mention maraming, maraming salamat kay onkyo606. VERY helpful with his knowledge regarding the monitor audio speaker line. Even talked with me via YM till about 2am...Thanks pre!

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3004 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 09:29 PM »
@Monitor Audio Experts

Wanted to "pick the brain" of the Monitor Audio experts in regards to this particular mix of speakers for my family's first 5.1 setup.

Our viewing is 99% movies - 1% music. Just wanted to make sure that this mix of speakers would result in a "theatre" experience...Also, if you guys could also suggest which amp between the denon & onkyo would serve best with this mix of speakers.

I also want to mention maraming, maraming salamat kay onkyo606. VERY helpful with his knowledge regarding the monitor audio speaker line. Even talked with me via YM till about 2am...Thanks pre!

dont mention is brader marc,happy to be of help. with this post, a whole new perspective will come to fore and would make the decision making easier for you. let me just tell you that the package you are considering is a wishlist to many people me included, in fact you might be the firts to have an RX6 unless there are some na di nag post, as for the question of which is better, 2310 or 807, make a head to head comparison using the specifications and other written features, respective websites would surely get you this. afterwards, do a process of elimination and cross out the features that you feel you will not be needing( assuming you are familiar with the feature). after eliminating features you find you dont need, its time to make the head to head comparison again in paper, finally, audition

some key points you may consider:

1. 2310 is not a network receiver while 807 is. After knowing your job, im sure this matters to you. ;)
2. 2310 is not capable of doing the Audyssey DSX while 807 is, DSX is one of the nicest feature in HT set up as it gives you the oppurtunity to use a front wide speaker providing a more enhanced sound envelopment and soundstage
3. 2310 is not THX certified while 807 is. While to some this may not matter, the pride of owning a THX certified gear is always a big plus.
4. 2310 faceplate does not look appealing compared to 807(IMO) 807 looks more musculine
5. 2310 has avery complicated remote control while 807 is simplified(atleast from how things look like and again IMO)
5. 2310 sounds really good for both movies and audio while 807 sounds better in movies than in audio.

AS we have been discussing last night, im using MAs with an 807(actually the twin of 807 only difference is the multi channel analog in) and so far Im very happy with it.

HTH.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #3005 on: Apr 13, 2010 at 03:11 AM »
dont mention is brader marc,happy to be of help. with this post, a whole new perspective will come to fore and would make the decision making easier for you. let me just tell you that the package you are considering is a wishlist to many people me included, in fact you might be the firts to have an RX6 unless there are some na di nag post, as for the question of which is better, 2310 or 807, make a head to head comparison using the specifications and other written features, respective websites would surely get you this. afterwards, do a process of elimination and cross out the features that you feel you will not be needing( assuming you are familiar with the feature). after eliminating features you find you dont need, its time to make the head to head comparison again in paper, finally, audition

some key points you may consider:

1. 2310 is not a network receiver while 807 is. After knowing your job, im sure this matters to you. ;)
2. 2310 is not capable of doing the Audyssey DSX while 807 is, DSX is one of the nicest feature in HT set up as it gives you the oppurtunity to use a front wide speaker providing a more enhanced sound envelopment and soundstage
3. 2310 is not THX certified while 807 is. While to some this may not matter, the pride of owning a THX certified gear is always a big plus.
4. 2310 faceplate does not look appealing compared to 807(IMO) 807 looks more musculine
5. 2310 has avery complicated remote control while 807 is simplified(atleast from how things look like and again IMO)
5. 2310 sounds really good for both movies and audio while 807 sounds better in movies than in audio.

AS we have been discussing last night, im using MAs with an 807(actually the twin of 807 only difference is the multi channel analog in) and so far Im very happy with it.

HTH.

galing galing naman ni brader tirso! true onkyo expert yan! ;)
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline phipsi1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3006 on: Apr 13, 2010 at 07:56 AM »
@onkyo606

brader tirso, maraming salamat sa input mo...nako, getting a bit easier na to choose AV receiver after your insightful response.  ;D My only concern re Onkyo 807 is the issue of overheating.  Have you had any problems re this issue? Sorry I couldn't give you a call last night, went to bed early and got your message early this morning. C Brader Tirso, meron 1-800 hotline to help us all with our Audio Visual needs.   ;D hehe. Next time I demo the monitors, please feel free to join me, specifically the Silver Series RX6, RX1, RX centre with the Onkyo 807. If only we had an SVS sub to join the mix of speakers during the demo.  ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #3007 on: Apr 13, 2010 at 12:06 PM »
galing galing naman ni brader tirso! true onkyo expert yan! ;)

oist anong expert, nabasa ko lang yan at base na ginagamit ko ngayon baka mamli ako mademanda pa hehehehehehe

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #3008 on: Apr 13, 2010 at 12:11 PM »
@onkyo606

brader tirso, maraming salamat sa input mo...nako, getting a bit easier na to choose AV receiver after your insightful response.  ;D My only concern re Onkyo 807 is the issue of overheating.  Have you had any problems re this issue? Sorry I couldn't give you a call last night, went to bed early and got your message early this morning. C Brader Tirso, meron 1-800 hotline to help us all with our Audio Visual needs.   ;D hehe. Next time I demo the monitors, please feel free to join me, specifically the Silver Series RX6, RX1, RX centre with the Onkyo 807. If only we had an SVS sub to join the mix of speakers during the demo.  ;D

sa lahat ng nabasa ko ito ang issue ng Onkyo, i asked my friend who distrbutes Onkyo too and found out the Onkyo has a fan at the lower portion inside that avtivates when needed and pushes the heat upwards outside the vented casing of the receiver thus the upper portion becomes hot so this is innate to Onkyo. Im using an exhaust fan to address this issue so far so good di pa naman ako nasiraaa ng Onkyo awa ng Diyos for the past 3 years na gumagamit ako nito.

Offline Signal2Noise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3009 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 12:10 AM »

If you can burn extra currency, I would suggest go for Roksan or Exposure Amp.

For tight budget, go for NAD or Marantz.  Otherwise, pair it with tube amp, just avoid bright sounding electronics. The important thing is to audition and know what you want and what you need, because it is you who will be the final verdict afterall :)
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2010 at 12:17 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #3010 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 12:16 AM »

If you can burn extra currency, I would suggest go for Roksan or Exposure Amp.

For tight budget, go for NAD or Marantz.  Otherwise, pair it with tube amp, just avoid bright sounding electronics. The important thing is to audition and know what you want and what you need :)

best bet would be a PP tube or a kt88 or 300b SET para may power.

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3011 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 12:23 AM »
best bet would be a PP tube or a kt88 or 300b SET para may power.

I agree, PP UL in Class A is an excellent match.  Not sure about 300B (8-10wpc), may lack the punch for a  89-90dB MA.  Go for 845 instead, have a MA GR-10 paired with Maestro 845 SET and it's awesome. :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #3012 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 12:30 AM »
I agree, PP UL in Class A is an excellent match.  Not sure about 300B (8-10wpc), may lack the punch for a  89-90dB MA.  Go for 845 instead, have a MA GR-10 paired with Maestro 845 SET and it's awesome. :)

Syet. Pamahal na tayo ng pamahal...  ;D

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3013 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 12:33 AM »
Syet. Pamahal na tayo ng pamahal...  ;D

That's why better to know what you want and what you need in this pocket-emptying hobby.  Otherwise, you will end up buying and selling of gears everytime, there's no perfect or ultimate audio/video system. :D
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2010 at 12:34 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #3014 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 07:27 AM »
Syet. Pamahal na tayo ng pamahal...  ;D
ah yes, i forgot to mention exposure amps too. from the GS model and up, at least 150W for SS and 50W for tube amp would be necessary to unleash their true potential. they are rated easy but are actually hard to drive.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3015 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 09:40 AM »
Few years ago I saw a MA Silver S1 bs driven by Exposure 2010 amp in an audio shop in Dubai.  The same shop also featured the GR-10 and Roksan Kandy MKII amp tandem and it's one of the best mid-end setup I've ever heard.  Those were the days when Monitor Audio were still handcrafted in England.  The shop at the time were showcasing an all original UK Made System. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2010 at 09:42 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #3016 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 02:32 PM »
Supposedly the Silver series and higher are still built in England as indicated sa likod nung cabinets (though baka assembly na lang).

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #3017 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 02:57 PM »
Supposedly the Silver series and higher are still built in England as indicated sa likod nung cabinets (though baka assembly na lang).

almost every thing now is being assembled in asia. the good thing is, the quality standard remains the same regardless of assembly site.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline rap2x

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3018 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 04:04 PM »
@Monitor Audio Experts

wow! for sure ang ganda ng kalalabasan nyan sir, Silver Series All the way ah!

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3019 on: Apr 16, 2010 at 10:12 AM »
@Monitor Audio Experts

I'm sure ok yan.  I would just suggest that you look into rxfx for surrounds.  Since movies naman talaga, baka better siya for your surrounds.  Best for you to go to Audioworld to listen to that exact set-up in their theater room.  You'll know the capabilities of the set-up and if that's the sound you're looking for. 

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3020 on: Apr 17, 2010 at 07:02 PM »

The Silver and Gold Reference GR Series were the last models that were originally handcrafted in the England\UK as shown at the back of the cabinets "Made in England".  The Silver and GR boxes were even printed with "Handcrafted in England".  The succeeding series like RS, RX and GS are now assembled in Asia.  

Todays assembly have prints at the back of the cabinets with "Designed and Engineered in England" if the product were already outsourced somewhere in China or Malaysia.  There should be no difference in terms of SQ whether Made in UK or Assembled in Asia, however, the difference would be the prestige of being originally Handcrafted in the UK since we all know the English are excellent in craftmanship and their woodworks.  :)

That's why the Proacs and Harbeths are pricey because they have maintained their British tradition of the last two loudspeakers that are still originally Made in the UK. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2010 at 07:15 PM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #3021 on: Apr 17, 2010 at 07:10 PM »
The Silver and Gold Reference GR Series were the last models that were originally handcrafted in the England\UK as printed at the back of the cabinets "Made in England".  The Silver and GR boxes were even printed with "Handcrafted in England".  The succeeding series like RS, RX and GS are now assembled in Asia.  

Todays assembly have prints at the back of the cabinets with "Designed and Engineered in England" if the product were already outsourced somewhere in China or Malaysia.  There should be no difference in terms of SQ whether Made in UK or Assembled in Asia, however, the difference would be the prestige of being originally Handcrafted in the UK since we all know the English are excellent in craftmanship and their woodworks.  :)

That's why the Proacs and Harbeths are pricey because they have maintained their British tradition of two of the last loudspeakers that are originally Made in the UK. :)

buti na lang umabot pa ako sa RS1 ;)

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #3022 on: Apr 17, 2010 at 07:12 PM »
hmmm, in that case the tags are a bit high...
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3023 on: Apr 17, 2010 at 07:18 PM »

buti na lang umabot pa ako sa RS1 ;)

Like I said, RS series were already outsourced somewhere in Asia.  But there should be no worries since it's still Monitor Audio. :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3024 on: Apr 17, 2010 at 07:22 PM »
hmmm, in that case the tags are a bit high...

The tags really matters, just like the same prestige having a Range Rover, Aston Martin, Jaguar or Bentley, all Made in England. :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #3025 on: Apr 17, 2010 at 07:43 PM »
The tags really matters, just like the same prestige having a Range Rover, Aston Martin, Jaguar or Bentley, all Made in England. :)

i meant how they have priced the RX series...  ;)
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3026 on: Apr 17, 2010 at 08:03 PM »

ois, perhaps bcoz the new RX series was derived from the original Gold Reference that uses dimpled woofer. :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #3027 on: Apr 18, 2010 at 06:46 AM »

I think the pricing's ok, since it undercuts the comparable asian-manufacture B&Ws. Though if they can cut the selling price, that'd be a boon for us all.  ;D

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3028 on: Apr 18, 2010 at 03:56 PM »
Yes, for me they have priced the RX well.

So that's the reason why the RX series are priced at a margin almost same as the RS. My assumption before it was released here was it would cost at a more expensive tag maybe in between RS and GR series because of the borrowed Gold driver.

Kudos to Monitor Audio for outsourcing the RXs assembly labor in Asia, that made it more affordable to the consumers. I thought its just because the cabinet was made of wood veneer that made it cheaper. Its cool to have that 'Made in England' badge at the back downside is it always come w/ an extra premium. IMHO, still its the sound quality that matters most. Nowadays, its 'American made, russian made . . . all china made.' afterall :D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #3029 on: Apr 18, 2010 at 04:26 PM »
Yes, for me they have priced the RX well.

So that's the reason why the RX series are priced at a margin almost same as the RS. My assumption before it was released here was it would cost at a more expensive tag maybe in between RS and GR series because of the borrowed Gold driver.

Kudos to Monitor Audio for outsourcing the RXs assembly labor in Asia, that made it more affordable to the consumers. I thought its just because the cabinet was made of wood veneer that made it cheaper. Its cool to have that 'Made in England' badge at the back downside is it always come w/ an extra premium. IMHO, still its the sound quality that matters most. Nowadays, its 'American made, russian made . . . all china made.' afterall :D

ayos ah parang kausap ni ben affleck ;D ;D ;D