Author Topic: Monitor Audio Speakers  (Read 468602 times)

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Monitor Audio Speakers
« Reply #3060 on: May 04, 2010 at 10:59 PM »
@dts

Are the BR2s for sale pa or phased out na? Also, I never thought timbre matching was crucial when it came to the surround speakers. Just thought that the fronts should be timbre matched.

if budget becomes a constraint, the value of having multeq set up comes into fore. From how I understood things, it is always preferred to get speakers of the same series if not of the same family to achieve the timber matching as they say but the reason why multeq became popular is to adress challengtes of not having the same speaker family. doing the audyssey calibration does these things but as to how, i would leave iot to our beloved experts to explain further when they get the chance to read this.

BR2 is relatively a new bronze series so it wouldnt be a challenge to get a bnew one. I got a B2 the otner week and its almost bnew, a couple of thousand lower in cost compared to B2 but almost the same when we talk about SQ, atleast according to people i asked who get to hear and compare them.. A couple of htousand matters to me a lot so i ended up getting the B2 instead but used it as front wide. Im still using a 9DFS for surround.

having RX series a s front liner is already awesome. it is supposed to be complimented by the same family at least but when an extra push on the budget would not allow it anymore, i will get a cheaper brand that can do the job as well.

Rhian Ramos would pale in comparison to megan fox in many aspects, but if having a date with megan is impossible and Rhian is possible, who needs Megan for the time being ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Skidmarks

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Collector
  • Quid agis, medice?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3061 on: May 04, 2010 at 11:06 PM »
Thanks a lot guys :)

Having a forum like this really puts someone into perspective especially for a couple of us who are new to this hobby. Its like having a medical consultation for free ;D ;D ;D

Offline rap2x

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3062 on: May 05, 2010 at 09:41 AM »
Hanep sa analogy tirsoDOL 8)  ;) nadale mo haha

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3063 on: May 05, 2010 at 09:56 AM »
In my humble opinion, yes it would be advantageous to timber match.  But if you don't have the funds just yet, go out and buy cheaper options.  Surround sounds are still surround sounds.  I'm not sure about this but even Audio World uses BRFX or the older RSFX as their surrounds.  (Am really not sure about this)  With due respect to DTS-HD, even if they are all MA, there is no guarantee of timber matching accross different series, though chances might be better that they are.

Suggestion ko if you are unsure:  go to an AV shop with an HT setup.  Chances are, the surrounds they are using are fixed at the back.  Now, choose a different brand from the one installed.  And see how it sounds to you. 

If really on a budget, get a wharfedale dfs.  Its cheap and if you decide to sell it when you have enough dough to get the rxfx, you can probably do so with a very minimal loss.

3.1 is not bad, but I think its still better if you go the 5.1 route.  Iba pa ring may naririnig sa likuran and sa side.   

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3064 on: May 05, 2010 at 01:22 PM »
if budget becomes a constraint, the value of having multeq set up comes into fore. From how I understood things, it is always preferred to get speakers of the same series if not of the same family to achieve the timber matching as they say but the reason why multeq became popular is to adress challengtes of not having the same speaker family. doing the audyssey calibration does these things but as to how, i would leave iot to our beloved experts to explain further when they get the chance to read this.
do the job as well.

We have to confirm this bro Tirso cos this is good news for all Denon & Onkyo owners.

. . . and pls. PM contact no. of Rhian ;D

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3065 on: May 05, 2010 at 01:26 PM »
Thanks a lot guys :)

Having a forum like this really puts someone into perspective especially for a couple of us who are new to this hobby. Its like having a medical consultation for free ;D ;D ;D

Only difference is that you can not be cured here . . . SARS is impossible to avoid here in PDVD.  ;D

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3066 on: May 05, 2010 at 01:37 PM »
With due respect to DTS-HD, even if they are all MA, there is no guarantee of timber matching accross different series, though chances might be better that they are.

Agreed, and that may be true if we try to combine a pair of Platinum(88db @4ohms) and a Bronze(90db @6ohms) series.

Pero kung combination ng BR & RS/RX pwede na din siguro(90-91db both @6ohms).

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #3067 on: May 05, 2010 at 02:50 PM »
Cmiiw: I think it has more to do with the frequency response of each speaker, and less about each one's electrical specification or sensitivity. Having timbre-matched gear ensures us that the projected sound will remain very similar as it moves between channels. This makes the experience immersive, and helps the speakers "disappear" into a seamless environment.

Afaik, Audyssey MultiEQ corrects the response of each speaker based on the reading from the mic position. This should help different speakers get closer to timbre-matching.

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3068 on: May 05, 2010 at 05:56 PM »
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was the difference of the 2 speakers Platinum & Bronze mainly in drivers, tweeters & technology used w/c makes their tonal qualities unique w/ each other . . . aside from the sensitivity & nominal imp.  For ex. just got this fr. the website: Platinum uses a higher freq. ribbon tweeter & RDT bass/mid driver vs. Bronze's C-Cam tweets & MMP2 bass/mid driver.

Thats what I know also, its not only the volume level relative to the computed distance that is corrected after the Audessey calibration but also the freq. response thru crossover freq. settings. But really, are these enough to alter the tonal characteristics of each speaker in a room for timbre matching?
I mean, will the BR sound as good as the PL after the calibration or vice-versa?

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #3069 on: May 05, 2010 at 08:51 PM »
Thats what I know also, its not only the volume level relative to the computed distance that is corrected after the Audessey calibration but also the freq. response thru crossover freq. settings. But really, are these enough to alter the tonal characteristics of each speaker in a room for timbre matching?
I mean, will the BR sound as good as the PL after the calibration or vice-versa?

IMO, the tonal characteristic of a driver will still be apparent after doing an audyssey calibration. i have warm sounding fronts and bright-neutral sounding rears. I can really tell the difference especially with panning sounds from back to front or vice versa. I'd suggest getting the same line/model for timbre-matching purposes. for me, the rears are not there for the sake of getting sound info at the back, it 'should' be an immersive experience. hence, a bigger driver for surrounds is what i'd go for.

Offline phipsi1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3070 on: May 05, 2010 at 11:31 PM »
@all

WOW! Thanks braders for all the insightful advice regarding surrounds for my HT setup.  At the moment, as I mentioned to brader Tirso (Onkyo606), I have to do a bit of "reverse psychology" on my wife kasi my budget for my audio setup (my first ever 5.1 setup  ;D) is reaching it's limit, so I've been trying to explain to her that I will just stay within budget and not invest as much in the rear speakers, BUT then I always put in a comment here and there and let her know that it would be possible that in a year or less that we may want to upgrade because the surrounds we bought just doesn't cut it...hence I reason out that we actually lose in the long-run...

I'm thinking if I decide to stay within the MA RX series for timbre matching reasons, I would probably have invest in the RX1. The RXFX is a bit too pricey in my opinion for surrounds.

I demo'ed the RX6, RXcentre, RX1 with a denon 1910 amp and was very impressed with the clarity and detail, especially with the RX1 as the rears. But I was thinking the whole demo session that if this was paired with an Onkyo 807 or above, then I would get that theatre experience that I long for in my own living room! Especially paired with an SVS sub...audio nirvana for a newbie like me... ;D

So at the moment, I'm leaning towards the RX1 for surround duty...

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3071 on: May 06, 2010 at 07:02 AM »

Thanks for clarifying this. I don't think MultiEQ is sophisticated enough to make a less capable speaker perform like a superior model. It should make them have a similar overall character through.

In theory, correcting to follow the same RTA measurement curve for each speaker (I'm not sure how good Audyssey is with this) should get them substantially close in sound, as long as you are working within the limits of the inferior speaker. Of course, the additional processing would cause losses here and there. Dispersion characteristics also do not change, so the sound from another position might be totally different.

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3072 on: May 06, 2010 at 10:12 AM »
You demoed the RX series with the 1910?  I'm guessing you demoed that at SGT Home Theater.  I'd suggest you go back to do an audition with a different surround speaker to compare, then make a decision.  This is just me, and I'm probably in more of a budget crunch than you are, but if a sub 10k or even sub 5k speaker can give even 70-90 percent of the performance of a 20+k speaker, thats good enough for me.  

Was talking to a sales guy in one audio shop regarding HT.  We were comparing 2 lines of speakers.  Without auditioning both, the first one sounded pretty good for HT.  When we listened to the 2nd line, difference was huge.  But we were discussing that even if you went with the first one, you'd still be happy with it when you went home because for HT, ignorance is bliss.  As long as its loud and you get surround sound, especially if it was your first setup, you wouldn't look for anything else.

Going back though, I have a feeling that you want the rx1.  For me, if you are going to put it on stands at the rear of your room, I'd seriously consider it for the aesthetics as well as the obvious benefits of timbre matching and SQ.  But if you are going to mount it and have it blended some place in the room, have a listen to other budget friendly options as surrounds and let your ears decide.    
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010 at 03:18 PM by dips15 »

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3073 on: May 06, 2010 at 11:44 AM »
I'd suggest getting the same line/model for timbre-matching purposes.

still the safest route to go for worry-free timbre matching.

I don't think MultiEQ is sophisticated enough to make a less capable speaker perform like a superior model. It should make them have a similar overall character through.

Ok I thought so, multEQ can just help narrow the gap in tonal mismatch whenever different sets of speakers are in a system.

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3074 on: May 06, 2010 at 01:57 PM »
How will you describe the sound quality of MA RX1?

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3075 on: May 07, 2010 at 10:51 PM »
How will you describe the sound quality of MA RX1?

Avant-garde.  :D

J/k. I find it very neutral (subjectively). I have not seen RTA graphs of the RX series, but I suppose they have a very gentle home curve.

Based on Stereophile measurements, the old RS series had a mild gundry dip (not as much as current B&Ws though). I think it'd be less evident with the RX series, because they toned down the highs.

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3076 on: May 08, 2010 at 11:50 PM »
i just tested the MA RX1 earlier sa Audioworld ..... maganda siya :D lalo at sa audio room pa niya pinatugtog game-over :D

lots of details ..... sonically enjoyable .... but its kinda in-your-face for me ..... I want wide disperse like B&W :)

Still for pure stereo setup nobody should pass off these babies ...... recommended 

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3077 on: May 09, 2010 at 04:58 AM »
i just tested the MA RX1 earlier sa Audioworld ..... maganda siya :D lalo at sa audio room pa niya pinatugtog game-over :D

lots of details ..... sonically enjoyable .... but its kinda in-your-face for me ..... I want wide disperse like B&W :)

Still for pure stereo setup nobody should pass off these babies ...... recommended 

What amp and front end were connected to the RX1? Were they also the same ones connected to the B&Ws? B&Ws can also be very forward (especially the 600 series), depending on the matching gear.

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3078 on: May 09, 2010 at 07:37 AM »
quite intrigued already, have to hear the rx2 & rx6 side-by-side.

for the meantime here's a review of the RX2 I found floating on the net:

http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-108&lang=en

The Silver RX series from Monitor Audio is “hot”, for some time already. Awards, won comparisons, positive reviews, etc, this all makes the RX become a major player in audio. Of course those are not ideal – there are no such products – because they do not cost so much (especially given the technologies applied, and the sound), this is why it is worth to notice some elements, and which were noticed first in the review of the model RX6, by Krzysztof Kalinkowski.

. . . If I would have to characterize those loudspeakers using the previously tested bookshelf speakers as examples – I mean the Dynaudio DM 2/6, KEF iQ30 and Xavian Primissima, then I would say as follows: the Monitor Audio are as well balanced as the Dynaudio, have the bass reaching even lower than the KEF, and have equally good treble as the latter ones. And from the Xavian they inherited the ability of creating big virtual sources without the need of overexposing the bass region. But if I would not like to call upon anything, then I would say, that the RX2 sound with a well balanced, very clean sound, with very well defined sound spectrum extremes. And this is really something. The sound is detached from the loudspeakers, and we can really notice, that the rigidness of the enclosure was in scope of the works, as there was no sign of any boxiness, or any coloring of the sound by vibrating wood. It reminds me of things proposed by Harpia Acoustics in their loudspeakers – albeit at a higher price level.

Nice find luther.. ito ngayon ko pa lang babasahin at game3 pa naman ng LAL vs UTA :)

MA owner/fan - ok na kaya RA 1520 to drive the RX2?

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3079 on: May 09, 2010 at 11:50 AM »
What amp and front end were connected to the RX1? Were they also the same ones connected to the B&Ws? B&Ws can also be very forward (especially the 600 series), depending on the matching gear.

sir i only got to test RX1 since ala silang stock on hand na B&W .... am comparing it base on how i remembered the B&W sounded like when I tested it more than a year ago .... which is nearly vivid ;D

YAMAHA receiver ang ginamit sa RX1 ...... i asked the guy assisting me sa demo, ganun talaga sound characteristic ng MA daw paharap yung sound.....

Nevertheless even my GF is very impressed and to think she has zero knowledge about audio equipment ..... nag negative react lang nung nalamang Php 32K lol

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3080 on: May 09, 2010 at 07:36 PM »
@sir ment

I just mentioned this kasi yung current 600 series forward din yung sound for me, lalo na yung 683. Yung 684 ata pinaka laidback sa series, then the 685 medyo gitna, tapos pinakaforward yung 683. The 684 is less forward, but still isn't laid-back... yung 800 series speaks are very laid-back in comparison. I haven't heard the 686.

The 683 is more forward than all the RX series I've heard (though less so than the RS series). The 685 seems more forward than the RX2, probably at the same level as the RX6 (RX1 seems a tad bit more up-front versus the RX6). Of course subjective naman tayo lahat sa hearing, kaya baka yung forward sakin eh iba naman sayo. For me in general, pag evident yung presence frequencies, forward siya.

Kaya I asked lang, baka kasi you're hearing the character of the electronics coupled with the 685. Of course if you'd be using gear of a similar character din naman, then that might be a perfect match for you.

It's hard to make a wrong choice naman in today's very competitive market. Just go with what you like, and enjoy.

Good luck sa decision process.

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3081 on: May 09, 2010 at 10:25 PM »
^^^^^ i forgot to mention the RX1 i tested was practically brand new and just got out of the box ;D kulang pa sa break-in to hear its full potential .... nevertheless ..... maganda na siya from the box ;D kaya siguro pala forward sounding.

Yes sa dami ng companies na nagpapatalbugan ..... its so hard to choose ;D but its fun nevertheless ;D

At least finally i was introduced to MA ...... sarap mag second system setup ;D

Kasalanan ni DOM talaga ito ..... mabuti medyo nasa malayo na siya :P

Offline beginner

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3082 on: May 10, 2010 at 09:05 AM »
As much as possible I try to shy away from this thread. As it gives me the affirmation how good MA speakers really are. And it makes me want to dig deeper into my pocket (and break the house budget) to get those RX2s. Like you Sir Ment, I was happy with my current setup... until Sir Stagea brought me to audition different speakers in different price ranges and specs. Now, I'm wanting more...  ;D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3083 on: May 10, 2010 at 10:28 AM »
As much as possible I try to shy away from this thread. As it gives me the affirmation how good MA speakers really are. And it makes me want to dig deeper into my pocket (and break the house budget) to get those RX2s. Like you Sir Ment, I was happy with my current setup... until Sir Stagea brought me to audition different speakers in different price ranges and specs. Now, I'm wanting more...  ;D

Master Beginner,

Don't prolong the agony. Buy na! :D The longer you wait, the worse it hurts. Kumbaga sa may sakit, mas maganda ang naaagapan.  ;)

Did Don Alberto tell you? Apparently "someone" got a RX2 Pair + Roksan. Lusubin natin sa VV1.  ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #3084 on: May 10, 2010 at 11:08 AM »

Na-biktima ka din?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Seriously, if you're really into this hobby, ganun talaha eh. You need to please yourself. Plus of course nandun na din yun plus "wow" factor  :o when friends visit you (para ma-please natin si Master Jedi Ivan   :D). To avoid impulse buying, try waiting for at last 2 - 4 weeks before buying the item. Then ask yourself again after 4 weeks if you still want the gear. Unfortunately the answer is still yes. Hehe!

Sabay, barya lang yan sa pinapagawa mong mansiones!!!  :-X

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3085 on: May 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM »
yes sir beginner it is that good. This is my first encounter with Monitor Audio (the RX1) and i must say I am impressed :)

go for it na boss ;D

Offline phipsi1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3086 on: May 10, 2010 at 12:56 PM »
Mga Braders

Reading through this particular thread has been extremely helpful.  I'm almost certain that I will be investing in the BR2 for surround duties due to the budget constraint at the moment (i.e. my wife  :)).  My setup at the moment is:

RX6, RXCentre, SVSpb10nsd, BR2 (most likely), & either Onkyo 807 or 1007 (still contemplating but leaning towards the 807).

Really looking forward to setting everything up!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010 at 01:06 PM by phipsi1 »

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3087 on: May 10, 2010 at 01:43 PM »
For surrounds, consider the BR1 na rin instead of BR2.  Some even use it for fronts.  Should be good enough for surround duty if you're only looking to timber match especially if you would be mounting it.  BR2's are a little big for wall mounting.

OT here but for the Onkyo, if you can be a little more patient, I think the x08's (2010 models) are going to be released soon.  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010 at 02:01 PM by dips15 »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3088 on: May 10, 2010 at 02:05 PM »
Na-biktima ka din?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Seriously, if you're really into this hobby, ganun talaha eh. You need to please yourself. Plus of course nandun na din yun plus "wow" factor  :o when friends visit you (para ma-please natin si Master Jedi Ivan   :D). To avoid impulse buying, try waiting for at last 2 - 4 weeks before buying the item. Then ask yourself again after 4 weeks if you still want the gear. Unfortunately the answer is still yes. Hehe!
Master Nelson, hindi ako nambibiktima. Gusto nya talaga yang toys, tinulungan ko lang siya marealize.  ;D

Mababaw lang kaligayahan ko, di katulad nyo na panay ang upgrade. Si Master Beginner madami talaga datung yan, baryang barya lang diyan ang new gear... kumbaga eh alikabok lang yan sa bago niyang mansion.

Offline phipsi1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3089 on: May 10, 2010 at 02:19 PM »
For surrounds, consider the BR1 na rin instead of BR2.  Some even use it for fronts.  Should be good enough for surround duty if you're only looking to timber match especially if you would be mounting it.  BR2's are a little big for wall mounting.

OT here but for the Onkyo, if you can be a little more patient, I think the x08's (2010 models) are going to be released soon.  

@sir dips

Actually, wanted to put the BR2 on stands. Are the BR1s cheaper than the BR2s? If so, I may also pursue that route as well to stay much more within the budget restriction.  :)

In regards to waiting for the x08's...I don't think I have the patience to wait for the models.  :( Really want to get all my gears set up and just sit back, relax, and enjoy. 

But I have to ask...when is the eta of these models? more than a month?