Author Topic: Monitor Audio Speakers  (Read 468584 times)

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Monitor Audio Speakers
« Reply #2670 on: Jul 26, 2006 at 06:38 PM »
hi guys, would appreciate your help in determining which HT speakers I should buy.  I've actually decided on MA b series 5.1 set up, but while I was scanning the net I came across a review I think by What HIFI (supertest 2006)wherein the B2 actually landed 3rd behind MS902i and Wharefedale 9.1 .  To add to the confusion I was surprised to find out that the Wharfs actually are priced similarly to the B series in the UK.  I don't mind spending a bit more for B series as opposed to Wharfedale but I don't want to always think back and regret my purchase.(value for money).  Thanks for your help

Why don't you go on and audition them with the receiver you intend to pair it with. If all of them sound good to you, then get the one with the lowest price. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. 8)
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline shotgun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2671 on: Jul 26, 2006 at 10:16 PM »
hi guys, would appreciate your help in determining which HT speakers I should buy.  I've actually decided on MA b series 5.1 set up, but while I was scanning the net I came across a review I think by What HIFI (supertest 2006)wherein the B2 actually landed 3rd behind MS902i and Wharefedale 9.1 .  To add to the confusion I was surprised to find out that the Wharfs actually are priced similarly to the B series in the UK.  I don't mind spending a bit more for B series as opposed to Wharfedale but I don't want to always think back and regret my purchase.(value for money).  Thanks for your help

I've got a B4 for HT and Diamond 9.2 for audio (2nd setup). Before getting the 9.2, I've auditioned the B2...  I prefer the B2. However, I could not resist the value for money of the Wharfedales. If you're on a budget (and can keep yourself from upgrading), go for the Wharfedales, but if you can spend more now get the B2 (so you won't have the upgrade itch).

Audition, audition, audition. There are other options out there. AE, Aurum, etc.
+63917-8261578

Offline stan93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2672 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 01:21 PM »
Why don't you go on and audition them with the receiver you intend to pair it with. If all of them sound good to you, then get the one with the lowest price. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. 8)

Hi, thanks for the feedback.  I do plan to audition them but being a newbie, I was afraid that I might not be able to catch the differences they would have that would be apparent to more experienced listeners. Thanks!

I've got a B4 for HT and Diamond 9.2 for audio (2nd setup). Before getting the 9.2, I've auditioned the B2... I prefer the B2. However, I could not resist the value for money of the Wharfedales. If you're on a budget (and can keep yourself from upgrading), go for the Wharfedales, but if you can spend more now get the B2 (so you won't have the upgrade itch).

Audition, audition, audition. There are other options out there. AE, Aurum, etc.

Thanks!  Am actually thinking of B4 for fronts, B center and their Dipole/Bipole for surrounds.  This set up wouild cost roughly double the 9.5s , 9cs and 9dfs.  Assuming that the MAs have better sonic quality than the Wharfs, would it "justify" the price difference?  Thanks!

Offline shotgun

• Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2673 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 02:39 PM »
Hi, thanks for the feedback.  I do plan to audition them but being a newbie, I was afraid that I might not be able to catch the differences they would have that would be apparent to more experienced listeners. Thanks!

Thanks!  Am actually thinking of B4 for fronts, B center and their Dipole/Bipole for surrounds.  This set up wouild cost roughly double the 9.5s , 9cs and 9dfs.  Assuming that the MAs have better sonic quality than the Wharfs, would it "justify" the price difference?  Thanks!

Personally, I would only notice the difference on Stereo mode. For HT I don't think I'll notice much. With regard to the MA being double the price, the improvement in sound isn't double ;) It really boils down to how much you'll be spending time using the system (HT vs Music over time) and your overall budget. In my case, I only get to use my MAs about twice a month compared to my stereo setup (which was a budget setup) which I use every other day. Now I'm thinking that I should have allocated funds to my 2nd setup rather than my HT. :(
+63917-8261578

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2674 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 03:09 PM »

For HT, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference and the Wharfedales will more than suffice.  With the savings, you may just want to buy a pair of better bookshelves for a separate audio set-up  ;)
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2675 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 07:10 AM »
For HT, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference and the Wharfedales will more than suffice.  With the savings, you may just want to buy a pair of better bookshelves for a separate audio set-up  ;)

Correct ka dyan sir.

Better put your budget on 2 channel than multi channel.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

just kidding guys syempre buy what your ear like always. :) :) :) :)

Offline stan93

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2676 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 01:32 PM »
thanks for the feedback guys!

Offline Calvin Tan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2677 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 10:53 PM »
Actually, makikita mo ang difference pag nag-upgrade ka ng electronics. Diyan lilitaw ang ganda ng Monitor Audio.

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #2678 on: Aug 01, 2006 at 01:22 PM »
I would like to solicit you opinions on which is a better audio speaker between the B4 and the 602 S3.  I am currently trying to decide which would have the widest sound range from the highs, mid lows and the lows.  My music varies from classical, standards, flamencos, sambas, pock, rock etc.   I will also be using this with an HT setup but will use this primarily for stereo/audio.  The price of these 2 are almost at the same level, so price is not an issue.

Your expert views will count a lot.

Thanks and kind regards.

Offline dench

• Collector
  • The most beautiful sound next to silence.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2679 on: Aug 01, 2006 at 05:55 PM »
I would like to solicit you opinions on which is a better audio speaker between the B4 and the 602 S3.  I am currently trying to decide which would have the widest sound range from the highs, mid lows and the lows.  My music varies from classical, standards, flamencos, sambas, pock, rock etc.   I will also be using this with an HT setup but will use this primarily for stereo/audio.  The price of these 2 are almost at the same level, so price is not an issue.

Thanks and kind regards.

my vote will go for the B4 :)
VPI~Verity Audio~Cary Audio~Dynavector~Sutherland~Unison Research~REL~Audio Sensibility~Massif

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #2680 on: Aug 03, 2006 at 07:09 AM »

Thanks Dench.

What would be the highlights of the B4 as compared with the B&W602 S3?

Thanks and kind regards.

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #2681 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 08:49 AM »
wow, an S6 for surrounds...HANEP! this on'e excellent for audio as well...good luck! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline psychodreamer

• Collector
  • +Live+
  • Liked:
« Reply #2682 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 01:41 PM »
Both MA and B&W make good speakers,  but I prefer the sound of the Monitors.
Lines cut across my face...

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2683 on: Sep 07, 2006 at 12:08 AM »
After reading most of the reviews here about different speaker brands i've finally decided to get the Monitor Audio B6 ;D. Paired it with a Yamaha RX-V659 and so far i'm very happy.Bought it for $525/tax.The Yamaha was $499 but was able to get it for $415+tax.Next month i'll be getting the Bronze center and the B1's for surround.Thanks to pinoydvd and to all of it's contributing members for all the information with regards to this hobby. ;D

Offline rband04

• Apprentice
  • installer , computer and sound gimik
  • Liked:
« Reply #2684 on: Sep 07, 2006 at 10:56 PM »
mga sir

as my experience

RXV 659 good enough for RS series and it's fit for big rooms
for B4 RXV559 minimum of RXV459
B2,B1, B center are really fit for RXV357.

Offline kojie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2685 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 11:32 AM »
just tested the B4 and daimond 9.5 w/ the yamaha (at spectra) and dali concept 6 w/ hk reciever (at AA) kahapon.

Here is my .02 , note im no guru or an audiophile this is just personal opinion lang po.

Audio - tested w/ finger style guitar cds and alicia keys cd
Diamond 9.5 w/ yamaha - Ok na combo great for all around music, mas mayron syang lows compared to the other too. Pero di overwhelming but you can definitely tell it was there.

B4 w/ yamaha - Ang ganda ng highs and mids, parang dito talaga bumagay yung yamaha. Napaka clear ng snapping ng guitars and ok sya sa pianos.

Dali w/ hk - ill fit this in between the Diamond 9.5 and B4. Ok din sya pero i was expecting more for music since hk ang gamit. Parang nawalan ng konting detial yung music. I was expecting really much more, kse yung environment na pinag subukan ko mas ok sya for audio testing, mukhang acouticaly treated kse sya and dun sa other store bare lang. Pero its a good combo can't go wrong w/ it.

Audio ranking
1) B4 w/ yamaha
2) Dali w/ hk
3) 9.5 w/ yamaha

Movies - tested both w/ dts demo dvd, running audio scene.
I won't give any opinions regarding the rears since it used different rears and when i setup one ill use the wharfedale 9dfs. Para sa akin kse for effects lang sya and i won't use all channel stereo mode and ok talaga sa budget ang 9dfs. :D

Diamond 9.5 , 9cm w/ yamaha - Ok sya pero parang overwhelming yung center na cm(malakas pero wla gaano detail) , khet si jim advice nya sa akin na i-pair ko nalang sa 9cs (tested it already). For movies ok na combo sya you cant go wrong w/ it.

B4 , B center w/ yamaha - Yung b center sya smallest sa mga tinignan ko pero it honestly suprised it honestly suprised us all(Me, my gf and my friend who is a musician). Mas pronounced yung pag hingal nung lalaki na tumatakbo, napaka clear nung mga steps nya and yung may mga sigaw. Wla talaga ako gaano expectation sa B center kse nakita ko simple lang and ang liit nya.

Concept 6, Concept center w/ hk - Concept center pinaka ok sa looks para sa akin, pero in comparison sa sa B4 and 9cm eto yung pinaka less sa detials. Siguro it needs are really good avr to shine. In a week or two try ko makahiram ng yamaha avr to test this, since magaling talaga yammy for movies. Sayang sana magkaroon din ng yamaha AVR sa AA in the future. Since ang ibang buyers hanap talaga nila is more on HT and less on audio.

Movie ranking
1) B4 w/ yamaha
2) 9.5 w/ yamaha
3) Dali w/ hk

Again personal opinion lang po ito. Newb lang ako sa hobby na ito but based on what i tested yan ang aking observation. Suggestion ko lang sa iba, basa basa muna then narrow down your choices based on what others have already tested then go out and aution those brands.

Finally may question po ako. LOL..... Anybody tested the B4 w/ yamaha while listening to Alternative and pop music? Wla po kse akong pang test kahapon na matino.

:D

--kojie

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Only Taxpayer's should Vote !
  • Liked:
« Reply #2686 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 12:28 PM »
Kojie,

what was the HK receiver that you tested the Dali Concept 6 with in AA?  The 135 or the 235?  Medyo kapos sa power yan.  If I am not mistaken, higher model and gamit ng Spectra for their Yamaha so more juice comes out.  Try to request Archi Audio to put their EL34 tubes with the Dali Concept 6.   Pero it's still better to compare speakers using the same amp, cd player, speaker cables, and interconnects.

It took me 5 months bago maka-decide on which speakers to get.   Don't rely on reviews, on hearsay, or promotional sales talk of shop personel.   Only trust your ears.   ;D

If you are into Audio, try the Monitor Audio RS-1 and Dali Ikon 2.

If you want an all rounder Audio - Home Theater set up (and can stretch your budget), try the Dali Ikon series.  However, if you are on a budget then the Monitor Audio Bronze series for Home Theater is enough to satisfy your cravings on quality sounds.

Plug Plug :  ;D  If you want a very good speaker for percussions and strings, try a speaker that has Ribbon Tweeters.    ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2006 at 12:31 PM by Le_Stat »
Only tax payer's should vote !

Offline kojie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2687 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 03:01 PM »
hi Le_Stat,

AVR 140 ang ginamit w/ the Dali concept 6. Try kong maitest next time w/ a Yamaha 657 para almost same. I really need to use yamaha for my avr bec. it has some of the features that i require. Mga mid-20's lang kse budget ko for my AVR(almost same sa age ko.. LOL..j/k) and only the 657/659 and 235/240 fits.

I am just really looking for an all-arounder gears. Mayron pa ko 2 weeks para makapag test till magawa house ko so i still have enough time to audition around.

Yung ikon series medyo wla na sa budget ko hehehe.

thanks

--kojie

Kojie,

what was the HK receiver that you tested the Dali Concept 6 with in AA?  The 135 or the 235?  Medyo kapos sa power yan.  If I am not mistaken, higher model and gamit ng Spectra for their Yamaha so more juice comes out.  Try to request Archi Audio to put their EL34 tubes with the Dali Concept 6.   Pero it's still better to compare speakers using the same amp, cd player, speaker cables, and interconnects.

It took me 5 months bago maka-decide on which speakers to get.   Don't rely on reviews, on hearsay, or promotional sales talk of shop personel.   Only trust your ears.   ;D

If you are into Audio, try the Monitor Audio RS-1 and Dali Ikon 2.

If you want an all rounder Audio - Home Theater set up (and can stretch your budget), try the Dali Ikon series.  However, if you are on a budget then the Monitor Audio Bronze series for Home Theater is enough to satisfy your cravings on quality sounds.

Plug Plug :  ;D  If you want a very good speaker for percussions and strings, try a speaker that has Ribbon Tweeters.    ;)

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Only Taxpayer's should Vote !
  • Liked:
« Reply #2688 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 03:16 PM »
hi Le_Stat,

AVR 140 ang ginamit w/ the Dali concept 6. Try kong maitest next time w/ a Yamaha 657 para almost same. I really need to use yamaha for my avr bec. it has some of the features that i require. Mga mid-20's lang kse budget ko for my AVR(almost same sa age ko.. LOL..j/k) and only the 657/659 and 235/240 fits.

I am just really looking for an all-arounder gears. Mayron pa ko 2 weeks para makapag test till magawa house ko so i still have enough time to audition around.

Yung ikon series medyo wla na sa budget ko hehehe.

thanks

--kojie

If you are really on a tight budget but want superb Home theater speakers, you might also want to check Aurum Cantus Home Theater speakers.   Contact Noel of Audio Amplified.   You might be surprised.

You can check out their thread here: 

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=29662.112
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2006 at 03:20 PM by Le_Stat »
Only tax payer's should vote !

Offline kojie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2689 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 03:24 PM »
If you are really on a tight budget but want superb Home theater speakers, you might also want to check Aurum Cantus Home Theater speakers.   Contact Noel of Audio Amplified.   You might be surprised.

You can check out their thread here: 

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=29662.112

Thanks .. yep plano ko rin tumingen dun.
Btw do they carry yamaha avrs ?

Offline wurt wurt wurt

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2690 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 11:10 PM »
any idea how much ang RS6 ngayon. Thanks

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2691 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 01:40 PM »
RS6 = P58,000.00, thanks! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline docsialu

• Collector
  • with no power, comes no responsibility
  • Liked:
« Reply #2692 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 01:50 PM »
ano kayang magandang amp ang maganda ibagay sa rs1, either solid state or tube?

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2693 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 02:11 PM »
i've had an RS1 and used it for tubes, either push pull or SET, it SINGS with gusto...bass is enough...tried it with an HT receiver...it is also OK...thanks! :D

Offline wurt wurt wurt

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2694 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 02:13 PM »
salamat superman. mukhang ibang plano na lang ;D

Offline docsialu

• Collector
  • with no power, comes no responsibility
  • Liked:
« Reply #2695 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 02:15 PM »
how bout the b2 sir? does it also make good music with lets say a push pull el34?

Offline vvt-i

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2696 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 03:06 PM »
how bout the b2 sir? does it also make good music with lets say a push pull el34?

a push-pull el34 with 25-30wpc will easily drive the b2.  will it make good music?  it will really depend on your preference.  auditioning is the best way to find out.  :)

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2697 on: Sep 18, 2006 at 09:08 AM »
agree with jetok...we can only comment based on our own experience, using our own gears...with a PP tube amp, practically any speakers can be used and can easily drive them...

got your PM, will send a more detailed answer later...thanks! :D

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2698 on: Sep 18, 2006 at 09:10 AM »
wurt 3x,

no problem...hope i was able to help you, thanks! :D

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2699 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 01:02 AM »

grabe RS6! toys for the big boys. tsk tsk tsk.

buy and sell section still down? *sigh* was hoping find 2nd hand B4s or HKs coz will be in manila on the 26th for a conference.