Author Topic: Buffy The Vampire Slayer  (Read 32160 times)

Offline pagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Watch BtVS "The Body" tonight at 8pm, Studio 23
« Reply #150 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 03:50 PM »
Watch "The Body" tonight!  Watchitwatchitwatchit.
Join the Pinoyslayers, the most kick-ass club of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans in the country.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re:Watch BtVS "The Body" tonight at 8pm, Studio 23
« Reply #151 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 11:29 PM »

Watch "The Body" tonight!

Watching the episode again, alam ko na kung bakit hindi siya na-nominate for any awards. You take the subject matter of "a death in the family," then make everyone get emotional and cry, then you film it using strange camera angles and without any music.

It's like you're BEGGING them to vote for you by making an episode intentionally different and "special".
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 09:14 AM »

Watch "The Body" tonight!

Watching the episode again, alam ko na kung bakit hindi siya na-nominate for any awards. You take the subject matter of "a death in the family," then make everyone get emotional and cry, then you film it using strange camera angles and without any music.

It's like you're BEGGING them to vote for you by making an episode intentionally different and "special".

So you didn't like it?

I suppose you preferred they didn't get emotional or cry at the death of Joyce?  That you think the strange camera angles was an MTV trick to make the episode stand out, and that the absence of music was also another trick to make it "special"?

Then I'm sorry, but that wonderful episode was wasted on you.
Join the Pinoyslayers, the most kick-ass club of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans in the country.

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
Joyce Summers, RIP
« Reply #153 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 09:53 AM »
I half-expected this was coming. Just like Buffy, I gagged and almost puked when I saw Joyce slumped on the sofa lifeless.

Screw the Emmy's! Joss does not work hard on all these episodes just to please them! It was made to stand out to mourn the loss of a loved one and not to fish (nor beg) for an award. So what if it didn't have that manipulative musical score that people look for in a drama series, it was appropriate.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
Re:The Bronze, The Buffy the Vampire Slayer Thread
« Reply #154 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 10:50 AM »
The first time I saw The Body, I felt a shiver up my spine when Buffy was shaking her mother. I did the same thing when a loved one had a seizure - you'd think that shouting and shaking them would snap them out of whatever state they were in.

Dawn's break-down scene at the school was a nice touch, and her mistrust of Buffy (on her mother's death) is actually normal - until she saw the body for herself.

Anya's scene was so touching! Trying to find logic in death - how futile is that? Emma is so perfect as Anyanka - so sad she's not renewing her contract for S8.

Willow changing her clothes reflects the confusion one feels in death. I felt a tear when she said, "Little Dawny..."

Tara, surprisingly, became the one person who can relate to what Buffy was experiencing. Nice to see the two of them bonding on such a deeper level.

Xander was pretty useless for the rest of the episode, but I guess that in itself is good. Some would definitely feel useless in such an experience.

All in all, a superb episode. However (please don't throw rotten tomatoes at me), I found myself liking the next episode more ("Forever").

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 05:57 PM »

So you didn't like it?

I suppose you preferred they didn't get emotional or cry at the death of Joyce?  That you think the strange camera angles was an MTV trick to make the episode stand out, and that the absence of music was also another trick to make it "special"?

Read my post over. Nowhere did I say I did not like the episode. In fact, it ranks among my top 10 episodes, and I actually appreciated the lack of scoring and dissociative camera angles. Those really capture the effect that a death of a loved one has on someone. It's a surreal feeling when it first hits you.

What I said was, watching it over, I see WHY IT DIDN'T GET NOMINATED. When you have "very special episodes" created uniquely, those are exactly what the Emmy voters pass on because they feel like (correctly or incorrectly) they were created to beg for nominations.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 07:07 PM »
I don't think The Body was any more "begging for a nomination" than, let's say, Becoming (from the second season), or Hush (from the fourth season), Mr. Hankey.

However IMHO, I still like Becoming more than last night's episode because it featured a heartbreaking storyline, great acting by everyone, and a superb fighting scene - why then wasn't it nominated for an Emmy? Those two episodes (again IMHO) is better than, let's say, ten episodes of M*A*S*H (and I love M*A*S*H)!

Maybe because the show was too young then - okay, fine - consider Hush then. Half of the episode was virtually a silent movie - and they pulled it off with great acting! What did the Buffy crew get? A nomination for writing (I think) - and that's all! Darn those Emmy guys!

Maybe because the special episodes only occur like once in a season - fine again - consider season three, where almost all of Faith's appearances were a gem. Also, Graduation Day was pulled off without being tacky (the Buffy/Angel scene was heartwrenching!).

It's a mystery all over hollywood why the show wasn't nominated in so many categories when it SHOULD be, considering the quality of the episodes - great writing, great acting, intriguing storylines, funny dialogue - what else did the show not yet accomplish?

I don't think The Body was "begging for nominations" - I think the Emmy guys just doesn't consider the show serious.

And THAT I definitely DO NOT like.  >:(
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2002 at 07:15 PM by gumby »

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Jul 31, 2002 at 01:17 PM »
So you didn't like it?

Read my post over. Nowhere did I say I did not like the episode. In fact, it ranks among my top 10 episodes, and I actually appreciated the lack of scoring and dissociative camera angles. Those really capture the effect that a death of a loved one has on someone. It's a surreal feeling when it first hits you.

Which is why I asked, because just because you didn't say you disliked a show doesn't mean you liked it.

What I said was, watching it over, I see WHY IT DIDN'T GET NOMINATED. When you have "very special episodes" created uniquely, those are exactly what the Emmy voters pass on because they feel like (correctly or incorrectly) they were created to beg for nominations.

Just because a show seems like it was created especially to get nominated doesn't mean it shouldn't be.  Are you telling us that once a show looks like a lot of extra work was put into it to make it special, the emmy voters immediately say "Hmp, special episode, let's not nominate that for anything."  That whether or not all that extra efford really did produce a wonderful television hour doesn't matter to emmy voters just because it looks like it was a "special episode"?

In the end, it shouldn't really matter whether a show was made specially to get nominated.   Because it doesn't help to second-guess the writers/director/producers.  What should matter is the end product.  (Am I the only one who thinks this?)

The Emmy voters didn't nominate "The Body" because it screamed "Special episode!  Nominate me!"  They didn't nominate it because they feel that BtVS is not a show to be taken seriously.  That to appreciate BtVS is to invite mockery amongst coleagues.

Oh, well.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2002 at 01:21 PM by pagan »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Jul 31, 2002 at 09:14 PM »

The Emmy voters didn't nominate "The Body" because it screamed "Special episode!  Nominate me!"  They didn't nominate it because they feel that BtVS is not a show to be taken seriously.  That to appreciate BtVS is to invite mockery amongst coleagues.

Oh, well.

The Emmy voters are simply old farts living in the comfort of familiarity. This year is a major breakthrough as new, young members joined the club. Gone are the familiar nominees we see year in and year out who don't deserve to be there the second time around. Unfortunately, this is also the year that Buffy isn't at its best. Aside from the season opening musical, there's not much to talk about.  It is hard to justify a nomination when you are up against 24,  Alias,The West Wing, Law & Order and Six Feet Under.

8)
k

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Aug 06, 2002 at 04:18 PM »
The spinning commences...Joss just did an interview with TVGuide.com regarding the storylines for S7. To quote my platinum baby, I'm still pararlyzed by not caring very much. Specially by the Dawn the Vampire Slayer spoiler. Yawn. James, buy your fricking contract out!

SPOILER START
Joss Whedon Gives Buffy Back its Bite

Since Buffy the Vampire Slayer bummed out even its diehard loyalists worse than a pair of teeth marks to the neck last season, series creator Joss Whedon knows that this year there's a lot, uh, at stake. Luckily, he has a master plan to keep the UPN sleeper out of the TV-show graveyard and in the Sunnydale Cemetery where it belongs: In upcoming episodes, he reveals, "there will be vampires. And we're going to give [the Scoobies] cute catch phrases like 'Eat this' and 'You're dust.'" All kidding aside, the auteur does have a few tricks up his sleeve to turn around the bloody mess that the cult fave became — and no, none of them involve hiring Luke Perry to reprise his role from the anemic 1992 film. Phew! He's off to a good start already. Here are some of his other ideas to keep creatures of the night glued to the tube on Tuesdays. — Michael Ausiello

Buffy will cheer up. Whedon concedes that last season, Buffy "got very dark, and not everybody responded to that." So from here on, the Chosen One won't be playing the victim anymore. "We're going to see Buffy empowered again," he says, "instead of seeing her at the mercy of life."

Sunnydale High School will be rebuilt. "Buffy's going to get involved in the school and Dawn (Michelle Trachtenberg) will be attending," he says. "It's about getting back to the mission statement of the show, which was, 'Here's a little girl with a lot of power and a lot of people who underestimate it.'"

A lot of familiar faces will be returning. Not only is Amber Benson coming back as a character other than Tara, so might be Eliza Dushku (Faith), Clare Kramer (Glory), Juliet Landau (Drusilla) and George Hertzberg (Adam). "[They're all returning] for a very particular reason that I will not explain to you," Whedon teases.

Anthony Stewart Head will be around more. At least Whedon hopes so. To date, the actor — who's currently appearing on the BBC America series Manchild — is only committed to doing 10 episodes of Buffy. "But we want more," Whedon says. "We missed him [last year]." Meanwhile, Ripper, the in-the-works spinoff revolving around Head's counterpart Giles, has been put on hold.

Willow (Alyson Hannigan) will get a new girlfriend.. Well, maybe. "That's something I'm not going to comment on," Whedon says. "But it's definitely a possibility."

Spike will not turn into a little Angel. Although the blonde blood-sucker got back his soul, Whedon has no intention of turning him into a clone of Buffy's first love. "If you think [that], you don't know me," he asserts. "The trick is to do it differently and have it mean something new."

Buffy will go on — with or without Sarah Michelle Gellar. A decision about an eighth season has yet to be made. However, Whedon certainly isn't eager to dust the franchise. "The show is about growing up, and that process never stops," he says. "I really do feel like it could go on forever" — even if Gellar hangs up Mr. Pointy when her contract expires in May? "I'm game for almost anything," Whedon says. "It's a huge universe we've created and an incredible cast of actors."

SPOILER END
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2002 at 04:27 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Aug 06, 2002 at 04:25 PM »
Speaking of the musical, I've seen it and it rocked! Joss Whedon is a genius. Everyone in the cast surprised me with their singing voices. Tara stands out and Giles too.

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Aug 06, 2002 at 05:46 PM »

Speaking of the musical, I've seen it and it rocked! Joss Whedon is a genius. Everyone in the cast surprised me with their singing voices. Tara stands out and Giles too.

I've seen it about a dozen times now -- it blew me away every time  ;D

Last Saturday's PinoySlayer 'thon was especially fun because we got to see a couple of people see it for the first time.  I think there was drool.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Aug 06, 2002 at 05:55 PM »

Speaking of the musical, I've seen it and it rocked! Everyone in the cast surprised me with their singing voices.

Even Willow?  ::)

I love Alyson, and I'm glad she knows what her limitations are. :)

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Aug 06, 2002 at 05:56 PM »

I've seen it about a dozen times now -- it blew me away every time  ;D

Last Saturday's PinoySlayer 'thon was especially fun because we got to see a couple of people see it for the first time.  I think there was drool.

I KNOW there was drool - I cleaned up afterwards. :) I don't know if that happened during the musical or during the Instant Slash repeatovision, though. :)

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Aug 06, 2002 at 06:01 PM »

Speaking of the musical, I've seen it and it rocked! Everyone in the cast surprised me with their singing voices.

Good point. That said, Hinton Battle was ROBBED! ROBBED, I tell you!

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Aug 06, 2002 at 06:40 PM »

Well, I didn't think she sang off-key. I remember this S1 ep where everyone had their nightmares coming true, and Willow had to sing opera in front of a very unkind audience. I guess my answer to your rolled-eye question is: Yes, even Willow.

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
Buffy the Musical
« Reply #166 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 11:00 AM »
I really think they should do a Shakespearian episode next.

Think about it -- there will be revenge, conspiracies, mistaken identities, etc.

Drooling now...  :P
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2002 at 11:01 AM by pagan »

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re:Buffy the Musical
« Reply #167 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 11:05 AM »

Think about it -- there will be revenge, conspiracies, mistaken identities, etc.

Drooling now...  :P

Speaking as a fan and as someone who has been in awe of her abilities before - SMG would SUCK in Shakespeare. Kindly flash back to her hideous "English accent" in Halloween.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 12:33 PM »

Speaking as a fan and as someone who has been in awe of her abilities before - SMG would SUCK in Shakespeare.

I don't know how they'd do it without the show feeling like the famous TAMING OF THE SHREW episode of MOONLIGHTING. Though I think most of the Buffy fans are probably too young to remember that, anyway.

"We hate iambic pentameter!"

And besides, didn't they already effectively do the major plotline of ROMEO AND JULIET with BECOMING? :)
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2002 at 12:35 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 12:37 PM »

Speaking as a fan and as someone who has been in awe of her abilities before - SMG would SUCK in Shakespeare. Kindly flash back to her hideous "English accent" in Halloween.

Which is why I do not suggest that they do an actual Shakespeare play -- just a Shakespearian episode  ;D

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 12:42 PM »

Speaking as a fan and as someone who has been in awe of her abilities before - SMG would SUCK in Shakespeare.

-- snip --
And besides, didn't they already effectively do the major plotline of ROMEO AND JULIET with BECOMING? :)

"Romeo and Juliet" and "Becoming"?  Hmm.. I don't see how the plots could be considered similar.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 12:56 PM »

"Romeo and Juliet" and "Becoming"?  Hmm.. I don't see how the plots could be considered similar.

This was my take on it: Two people who have an intense love which is forbidden because of who (or what) they are. Someone is asked to deliver a message that will affect the outcome of the love affair. He has the chance to deliver the message, but he chooses not to due his hatred of the other party. It ends with one of the lovers stabbed and the other "dead" (leaving her old identity) as well.

I always thought it was ripped directly from Romeo and Juliet, though maybe I was just reading too much into it.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 12:59 PM »

Which is why I do not suggest that they do an actual Shakespeare play -- just a Shakespearian episode  ;D

Hence the comment. She would suck in a Marlowe-ian episode, as well.

Anyway, define Shakespeareian. Othello? (Buffy as a black soldier? Buffy as Iago?) The Merchant of Venice? (Buffy as Portia? Shylock?) Much Ado About Nothing? (Buffy and Spike as Beatrice and Benedick? OK, I like that one, except SMG would SUCK and JM would ROCK, and it's too painful to see him either reverently acting down to her or her struggling to act up to him)  There are as many plots in Shakespeare as there are in BtVS, y'know.

Digging the Moonlighting reference, Mr. Hankey! Do you know anyone who has a copy of that ep? (called Atomic Shakespeare, IIRC)

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 01:10 PM »

This was my take on it: Two people who have an intense love which is forbidden because of who (or what) they are. Someone is asked to deliver a message that will affect the outcome of the love affair. He has the chance to deliver the message, but he chooses not to due his hatred of the other party. It ends with one of the lovers stabbed and the other "dead" (leaving her old identity) as well.

I always thought it was ripped directly from Romeo and Juliet, though maybe I was just reading too much into it.

Ah, I see your point now.  Still not totally convinced, though.  Perhaps that messenger bit was stolen from R&J, but the rest is different.  After all, Angelus wasn't in love with Buffy, and R&J couldn't be together not because of their opposite natures, but because of their families.

Nice call, though  ;D  I totally didn't see it.

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 01:18 PM »

Anyway, define Shakespeareian. Othello? (Buffy as a black soldier? Buffy as Iago?) The Merchant of Venice? (Buffy as Portia? Shylock?) Much Ado About Nothing? (Buffy and Spike as Beatrice and Benedick? OK, I like that one, except SMG would SUCK and JM would ROCK, and it's too painful to see him either reverently acting down to her or her struggling to act up to him)  There are as many plots in Shakespeare as there are in BtVS, y'know.

Shakespearian?  Well, the episode doesn't have to copy/borrow/steal a plot from WS, just employ some of the many fun devices from the plays.  Mistaken identity -- I like that one.  Although I think they do have conspiracies and power plays within the vampire ranks (Angelus vs Spike, season 2 for instance).  How about revenge?  Not just revenge-in-a-fit-of-anger-hand-me-my-crossbow, but cold calculated revenge.

BTW, maybe with a bit of practice SMG might be able to get that accent right.  They should be able to afford a linguist/language coach by now, right?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 01:30 PM »

Digging the Moonlighting reference, Mr. Hankey! Do you know anyone who has a copy of that ep? (called Atomic Shakespeare, IIRC)

Give me a few more days, and unless the molds have beaten me to it, I should be able to dig it up. Tried a quick search through my tapes, and the only one I see right now is the IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE parody Christmas episode. I know I labelled the ATOMIC SHAKESPEARE "Classical Moonlighting", since I taped it back-to-back with the black and white film noir episode. Remember that one? :)

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 01:46 PM »

Give me a few more days, and unless the molds have beaten me to it, I should be able to dig it up. Tried a quick search through my tapes, and the only one I see right now is the IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE parody Christmas episode. I know I labelled the ATOMIC SHAKESPEARE "Classical Moonlighting", since I taped it back-to-back with the black and white film noir episode. Remember that one? :)

Yep! Zalamat sa CTV 31 when it was CTV 31, because it was past my bedtme when it was first run (on ABS-CBN, IIRC). But they never showed Atomic Shakespeare.

The B&W ep was the one where David was a sax player and Maddie was a singer for a band, right?

I want a B&W film noir Buffy. :D

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 03:59 PM »
Bwahaha! Backtracking a little. I just read that Alyson didn't actually sing in that musical. My bad. I really need to get that copy! And you guys didn't even correct me. Hehe. Mr. Smarty Pants has every right to roll his eyes.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 04:03 PM »
Bwahaha! Backtracking a little. I just read that Alyson didn't actually sing in that musical. My bad. I really need to get that copy! And you guys didn't even correct me. Hehe. Mr. Smarty Pants has every right to roll his eyes.

Yes she did, and Mr. Hankey's right. She didn't have her own song, but she sang two lines in particular: "I think this line's mostly filler." (hehehe, BTW) and "I have a theory, some kid is dreamin'/ And we're all stuck inside this wacky Broadway nightmare." End spoiler. Plus I think she was in the big group songs.

I have edited this fecking post five times. Somebody shoot me.
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2002 at 04:07 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 04:33 PM »

Yes she did, and Mr. Hankey's right. She didn't have her own song, but she sang two lines in particular: "I think this line's mostly filler." (hehehe, BTW) and "I have a theory, some kid is dreamin'/ And we're all stuck inside this wacky Broadway nightmare." End spoiler. Plus I think she was in the big group songs.

He he. Ok. If there's anybody who need's to be shot, it's gotta be me. She didn't sing off-key!