Author Topic: Opamp rolling for cd players and DACs??  (Read 49795 times)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
Re: Opamp rolling for cd players and DACs??
« Reply #60 on: Aug 17, 2004 at 10:40 AM »

Sir once succesful ang OP amp, tuloy tayo doon sa promise ko sa iyo!

uy may promise ka din sa akin ah? hehehehe kulit no.  ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Aug 17, 2004 at 10:51 AM »
Gentlemen,

After reading the datasheet for the AD8066 (long download too) and careful consideration, I found that it is a wonderful and excellent opamp (reading only, not hearing yet). However, I will not be buying these opamps anytime soon.

As for the AD8066 adaptors, I don't have the soldering tools, but one of our friends here has. I can make the pcb including the gold plated pins that serves as the connectors to your ic sockets and have the opamp soldered into it. The only problem I have now is the time, I'm so busy right now but if you guys can wait, I may be able to help.  ;)

Cheers!

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #62 on: Aug 17, 2004 at 05:52 PM »
Jo,

Willing ako maghintay.... ;D ;D ;D

The only problem I have now is the time, I'm so busy right now but if you guys can wait, I may be able to help.  ;)

Cheers!

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Aug 17, 2004 at 09:24 PM »
Jo,

Sir thanks... when the time comes, I won't forget you.  ;)

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 02:00 PM »
Thanks.... :) :) :)

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 04:32 PM »
Gentlemen,

After reading the datasheet for the AD8066 (long download too) and careful consideration, I found that it is a wonderful and excellent opamp (reading only, not hearing yet). However, I will not be buying these opamps anytime soon.

As for the AD8066 adaptors, I don't have the soldering tools, but one of our friends here has. I can make the pcb including the gold plated pins that serves as the connectors to your ic sockets and have the opamp soldered into it. The only problem I have now is the time, I'm so busy right now but if you guys can wait, I may be able to help.  ;)

Cheers!

Sir,

Order na lang kayo, credit card lang naman ang kailangan.

Soldering? I had my AD8066 soldered to the brndog adapter done by a cellphone repair guy (thanks Garp for that suggestion). After that I also asked him to remove the old opamp from the motherboard, solder in the DIL sockets, then pushed in the brndog with the opamp. All the time I was watching him do his work.

Just gave him 50 bucks after that, then tapos na.

Just sharing, wag po sana masamain.

Regds.

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 06:01 PM »
Soldering? I had my AD8066 soldered to the brndog adapter done by a cellphone repair guy (thanks Garp for that suggestion). After that I also asked him to remove the old opamp from the motherboard, solder in the DIL sockets, then pushed in the brndog with the opamp. All the time I was watching him do his work.

Regds.
Hi I just want to check, my original  OP-amp is Burrbrown already PDIP package and attached thru 8pins IC socket, if ever I will replace my existing one no need for soldering. My question is: Thus the browndog adaptor can be inserted on the IC socket?
Thanks for your help.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 06:17 PM »
Hi I just want to know hows the sounds? Can you send us your review
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline kimpao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 06:51 PM »
Jo,

Thanks.... :) :) :)

Nai-iyak naman ako, para tuloy mga linya sa love story itong mga ito.  :'( :'( :'(
Ahahahahahaha!!!!!!! ;D ;D  Goldfish po tayo mga sirs!!!!!

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 10:23 PM »

Regds.

Hi I just want to check, my original  OP-amp is Burrbrown already PDIP package and attached thru 8pins IC socket, if ever I will replace my existing one no need for soldering. My question is: Thus the browndog adaptor can be inserted on the IC socket?
Thanks for your help.

Since you have the IC socket already, no need for soldering. With my old NAD521i the chips were soldered to the mboard, thus I had to "unsolder" them. I decided to use the DIL (IC) sockets, soldered them in first. Para nga naman pag mag upgrade ako ulit plug and pray, ah este play na lang.

With the IC sockets in place I just inserted the brndog (with the AD8066 soldered on it already).

Regrds.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 10:27 PM »

Nai-iyak naman ako, para tuloy mga linya sa love story itong mga ito.  :'( :'( :'(
Ahahahahahaha!!!!!!! ;D ;D  Goldfish po tayo mga sirs!!!!!

:-X

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 10:27 PM »

Hi I just want to know hows the sounds? Can you send us your review

I did some sort of an initial review in the NAD CD player thread last July 30th immediately after I did the upgrade, which I quote here:

"Immediately noticed the change, more detail than before, music opening up, even noticed slightly more bass (maybe it's just me, but let me listen further). My CDP is a NAD c521i, let us see if more change will happen within the next week."

This was true even after several days after I made this comment. Noticable yung base improvement (kilala na mahina ang base ng C521i) and mas nagkaroon ng detail yung sound. Imagine yung sound na mataba and mushy ng NAD (you've heard it, right?) nadagdagan pa ng detail. I was able to hear more from the instruments when playing my CDs.

Kaya nga nagkalakas loob ako ibenta, kasi confident ako na magugustuhan nung bibili yung CDP because of its improvement.

I'm not making up stories here, am just relating my experience. I don't know if this change will be the same for everyone. You should be aware of the risks (sabi nga ni Garp) of what you will be doing. I'm sure you understand what I mean.

Thanks, yun lang po.

« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2004 at 10:40 PM by Bogsle »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 10:31 PM »

I did some sort of an initial review in the NAD CD player thread, which I quote here:

"Immediately noticed the change, more detail than before, music opening up, even noticed slightly more bass (maybe it's just me, but let me listen further). My CDP is a NAD c521i, let us see if more change will happen within the next week."

Congrats... high performance na yan cd mo sir.

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 10:43 PM »

Congrats... high performance na yan cd mo sir.

Salamat, pero mas congrats dun sa nakabili. hehehe

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 09:05 AM »

I did some sort of an initial review in the NAD CD player thread last July 30th immediately after I did the upgrade, which I quote here:

This was true even after several days after I made this comment. Noticable yung base improvement (kilala na mahina ang base ng C521i) and mas nagkaroon ng detail yung sound. Imagine yung sound na mataba and mushy ng NAD (you've heard it, right?) nadagdagan pa ng detail. I was able to hear more from the instruments when playing my CDs.

Kaya nga nagkalakas loob ako ibenta, kasi confident ako na magugustuhan nung bibili yung CDP because of its improvement.

I'm not making up stories here, am just relating my experience. I don't know if this change will be the same for everyone. You should be aware of the risks (sabi nga ni Garp) of what you will be doing. I'm sure you understand what I mean.

Thanks, yun lang po.

Congrats! I've heard reviews this is really one of the best tweak for the players. I've check the specs of my present Burrbrown OPamp and the AD8066 from the specs alone malayo talaga ang difference for me its day & night comparison. Malakas ang loob ko na mag attemp with this tweak because I've  read a lot of good reviews with my player.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 10:31 PM »
Akala ko CD120 na?

Congrats! I've heard reviews this is really one of the best tweak for the players. I've check the specs of my present Burrbrown OPamp and the AD8066 from the specs alone malayo talaga ang difference for me its day & night comparison. Malakas ang loob ko na mag attemp with this tweak because I've  read a lot of good reviews with my player.

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 10:42 PM »
Audioslave and odyopayl,

Sent both of you a PM.

Thanks.

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Aug 25, 2004 at 08:51 PM »
Just found out something. RCD-02 uses OPA2604, and most likely is the same opamp used for the 1072.

I also found out that the OPA2604 is supplied with 30 volts of power from two regulators 7815 and 7915.

Problem is that the AD8066's allowed maximum power supply is only 24 volts. Thus if I install the AD8066 it would get fried the moment I switch on the power to the CDP.

Anyway, as per suggestion of a friend I can lower the voltage feed to the opamps by replacing the regulators with 7812 and 7912 for a 24-volt feed only, which would be just right for me to install the AD8066.

I'll try it out and keep you guys updated.

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2004 at 08:53 PM by Bogsle »

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Aug 27, 2004 at 09:46 AM »
Just found out something. RCD-02 uses OPA2604, and most likely is the same opamp used for the 1072.

I also found out that the OPA2604 is supplied with 30 volts of power from two regulators 7815 and 7915.

Problem is that the AD8066's allowed maximum power supply is only 24 volts. Thus if I install the AD8066 it would get fried the moment I switch on the power to the CDP.

Anyway, as per suggestion of a friend I can lower the voltage feed to the opamps by replacing the regulators with 7812 and 7912 for a 24-volt feed only, which would be just right for me to install the AD8066.

I'll try it out and keep you guys updated.

Hi, how about for OPA2134 this is just 18V maximum, do you think this is direct plug-in for AD8066?
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Garp

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Aug 27, 2004 at 01:35 PM »
What bogsle meant is that the ad8066's maximum supply voltage is +-12, that is +12v goes to one pin (pin 8 ) and -12v goes to pin 4. If you measure the voltage across the two pins, you get 24v which is the maximum specified (although other forums including LC audio says that you can use +-13v max or 26v total. The AD unlike the OPA can use a single supply--that is you can supply +24 v on pin 8 and 0v on pin 4. In fact you can supply unequal voltages on the pins but the important thing is you do not exceed 24v for the ad8066

The opa2134 has a wider supply range in that it can take +-18 voltage. Which is why if your player uses this, better check the voltages first as its possible the opamp is being supplied +-15 volts as is the case with the RA-02. The +-15 is within the range of the opa2134 but not AD8066.

As a workaround, replace the 15V regulators to 12V regulators, which is what Bogsle did. With 12v regulators the opamp is now being supplied +12 and -12 volts.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2004 at 01:36 PM by Garp »

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Aug 27, 2004 at 05:08 PM »
What bogsle meant is that the ad8066's maximum supply voltage is +-12, that is +12v goes to one pin (pin 8 ) and -12v goes to pin 4. If you measure the voltage across the two pins, you get 24v which is the maximum specified (although other forums including LC audio says that you can use +-13v max or 26v total. The AD unlike the OPA can use a single supply--that is you can supply +24 v on pin 8 and 0v on pin 4. In fact you can supply unequal voltages on the pins but the important thing is you do not exceed 24v for the ad8066

The opa2134 has a wider supply range in that it can take +-18 voltage. Which is why if your player uses this, better check the voltages first as its possible the opamp is being supplied +-15 volts as is the case with the RA-02. The +-15 is within the range of the opa2134 but not AD8066.

As a workaround, replace the 15V regulators to 12V regulators, which is what Bogsle did. With 12v regulators the opamp is now being supplied +12 and -12 volts.
Wow very informative! thnaks for the information. Anway, I received confirmation from my CD manufacturer that AD8066 is a direct component replacement for my player and it is already tested.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Aug 27, 2004 at 05:22 PM »
Garp,

can i use the AD8066 as a direct replacement of the OPA2134 of my NAD C542? will i still need the brown dog adopters?  ::)

thanks

Offline Garp

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Aug 28, 2004 at 11:41 AM »
hi audioslave,
Yes unfortunately you have to use the browndog adapter (i thought you already have them through bogsle?). The AD8066 kasi is a small package (SOIC-8) but the PCB holes in your NAD and in Rotel where the opamps are soldered are fixed to accept only DIP. So the browndog just converts the SOIC AD8066 to DIP AD8066. Good news is the NAD supplies +-9v to your opamp so you don't have to tweak the power supply like what Bogsle did to his Rotel.

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Aug 29, 2004 at 09:21 AM »
garp, thanks for the info. yes, i ordered a pair of AD8066 and the Brown Dog Adopters thru Bogsle and they have been reserved for me...  :D

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Aug 30, 2004 at 10:32 AM »
Hi sir, I will get my brwn dog adaptor today and I will replace my opamp within today! I'll inform you if my CD player will still working hehehehe
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Aug 31, 2004 at 12:57 PM »
I had already replaced my OPA-2134 (BB) had instant noticed about the following:
- Fuller bass
- More detailed (you will surely noticed bad recording quality)
I recognized very obvious enhancement of mids but not refine (maybe because of bad recording). Based on what I've read we need to wait untill reaches 48 hours of playing, so i leave my player playing continously starting last night. I will check if there will more refinement on the mids specifically upper mids.
Anybody want to try this tweak don't need second opinion surely you will happy with the ourput.
Bogsle thank you for your help! hehehe sent you PM!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Aug 31, 2004 at 12:59 PM »
odyopayl,

yung AD8066 ko kaya? na kay Bogsle pa?

odyosleyb

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Aug 31, 2004 at 01:07 PM »
I had already replaced my OPA-2134 (BB) had instant noticed about the following:
- Fuller bass
- More detailed (you will surely noticed bad recording quality)
I recognized very obvious enhancement of mids but not refine (maybe because of bad recording). Based on what I've read we need to wait untill reaches 48 hours of playing, so i leave my player playing continously starting last night. I will check if there will more refinement on the mids specifically upper mids.
Anybody want to try this tweak don't need second opinion surely you will happy with the ourput.
Bogsle thank you for your help! hehehe sent you PM!

Jun,

Agree yun pioneer ko after the tweak ibang iba.. fuller and detail pero break in mo pa yan will still hear more... :) :)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Aug 31, 2004 at 01:20 PM »
odyopayl,

yung AD8066 ko kaya? na kay Bogsle pa?

odyosleyb
Yup hinihintay ka lang! May advise if your OP-Amp is not yet socketed, try to buy another pair of IC socket (8 pins) para if you want to replace & upgrade in the future again pwede pa. You can ask Mr. JojoD to do that. Iba talaga Sir maninibago ka sa tunog.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Aug 31, 2004 at 01:22 PM »

Jun,

Agree yun pioneer ko after the tweak ibang iba.. fuller and detail pero break in mo pa yan will still hear more... :) :)
Sir sent you PM
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)