Author Topic: Please ID These Pinoy Films  (Read 3980 times)

Offline ralfy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Please ID These Pinoy Films
« on: Sep 05, 2007 at 08:36 PM »
I think it was shown on Channel 9 during the '70s. It is in B&W and appears to have been made during the late '50s or very early '60s. It had several stars, including male and female movie idols and I think Dolphy and Panchito for comic relief (but I might be mixing two movies). I think one of the male stars was Jose Mari Gonzales.

The only scenes I remember are one male lead locked in a room, taking some potion and turning into a Mr. Hyde, with others looking at him through a hole in a wall, and a night scene where some characters imitate the sound of a "tuko."

I'm not sure, but I hope that I'm not mixing scenes and characters from two movies.

Finally, I hope the moderators can turn this thread into a sticky in case other members need other films to be ID'd.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
Re: Please ID These Pinoy Films
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 08:39 PM »
About the film that I'm asking, I'm trying to remember if it starred Dolphy, Panchito, and Jose Mari Gonzales. I checked IMDB and one of the matches was "Beatnik." I'm not sure if that's the film but I remember "Beatnik" was often shown on Channel 9. I even found a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqHMBJoMBrI

Who's Dolphy's partner?

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 08:57 PM »
It looks like Dolphy and Panchito were partnered with the bodabil(?) (Local Vaudeville) singing and dancing duet from the 60's called "The Wing Duo" (Nikki Ross and Ms. Dela Cruz), I remember them as Pat Salem and Dinky Doo(?). Pat Salem could be the one with Dolphy. but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the link to the clip. Brings back more innocent times and the bodabil talents who eventually found their way into movies and TV.  :)

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2007 at 09:06 PM by espace »
Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 03:33 AM »
I have "Beatnik" on DVD and I think the scene you are thinking about is when the bad guys lead by Rod Navarro, kidnap Susan Roces and take her to this old abandoned haunted house. Our heroes, the Beatniks, led by Dolphy and Panchito, then race to try to rescue her and the bad guys try to scare them away. It all then culminates in a big all out rumble, then the cops arrive and cart all the bad guys away.

But I think the movie you are actually thinking about is "Kalabogs and Bosyo" which was based on a comic strip which also stars Dolphy and Panchito as a couple of bungling detectives named Kalabogs and Bosyo. I distinctly remember a scene in that movie where they are in a haunted house, similar to the one in "Beatnik", and someone going "tu-ko!". I wish that was on DVD as well. If it was, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 07:11 AM »
Thanks for the info regarding the duo, the Wing Duo clip, and giving details about "Beatnik" and "Kalabogs". No wonder I ended up mixing the two! I'll let you know if I find a copy of "Kalabogs."

Does anyone remember a B&W comedy about joining the Philippine military? I'm not sure if it stars Dolphy.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 07:16 AM »
Also, what is the title of the movie starring Alma Moreno which was shown on Cinema One (or PBC?) once, and where I think she is given her first major role. I thought it was "Starlet" but I can't find it in her IMDB filmography.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 05:54 PM »

Quote from: ralfy posted today at 07:11AM
Does anyone remember a B&W comedy about joining the Philippine military? I'm not sure if it stars Dolphy.

I'm not sure if this is the one you're referring to. KAMING MGA TALYADA (1962) wherein stars Jose Mari Gonzales, Juancho Gutierrez, Eddie Gutierrez, Boy Alano and Dindo Fernando play gay brothers who entered PMA. I don't recall Dolphy in here.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007 at 02:15 AM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 09:00 PM »
Yes, you're right! Any luck with the film about the princess-turned-scorpion?

I'm not sure if this is the one you're referring to. KAMING MGA TALYADA (1962) wherein stars Jose Mari Gonzales, Juancho Gutierrez, Eddie Gutierrez, Boy Alano and Dindo Fernando play gay bothers who entered PMA. I don't recall Dolphy in here.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 09:13 PM »

Quote from: ralfy posted today at 09:00PM
Yes, you're right! Any luck with the film about the princess-turned-scorpion?

Thanks ralfy. Unfortunately, no luck yet. hehe  :)

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 01:18 AM »
Although I am not sure, but didn't Dolphy and Panchito make a comedy called "Buhay Sundalo" as part of their "buhay" movie series? I have "Buhay Bombero" on VCD and I remember they did "Buhay Marino" which co-starred the famous 1960s singer Timi Yuro. I remember a scene from that movie where Dolphy and Timi Yuro sang a duet. They sand the song "Sunny" but replaced the word "sunny" with "Timi" and "Valentine" (which was Dolphy's character's name in the movie).

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 02:38 AM »
Not a Pinoy film but a TV show. Was it in Joe Quirino's show that a wardrobe malfunction incident took place?

Finally, it'd be great if the mods sticky this thread.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 02:43 AM »
What is the movie that stars Ramon Zamora with the jungle as the setting? I think it was shown on Channel 9, was in color, and involved Tarzan, but I'm not sure.

Also, I think Zamora had a sparring partner (also a martial arts expert) but I don't know his name. When I was young, I saw him with Zamora, though, shooting a scene for a movie right outside Greenhills Theater during the '70s.

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 09:24 PM »
Not a Pinoy film but a TV show. Was it in Joe Quirino's show that a wardrobe malfunction incident took place?

Finally, it'd be great if the mods sticky this thread.

I'm not sure if they ever had a wardrobe malfunction on Joe Quirino's show seeing stars, but I definitely remember when Vivian Velez's top went down during a dance number on "For the Boys" hosted by Ariel Ureta. I'll never forget that. The image of Vivian Velez's exposed tits is one that's burned into my mind, even after 30 years.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 11:42 PM »
You're right! It's not JQ. Was that the one where the camera man had to tilt his camera upwards?

Was "For the Boys" on Channel 7 and JQ on 13?

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 04:53 AM »
Yes! I remember that vividly! I remember it happened twice too. The first time Vivian simply pulled her top back up, but when it happened a second time, that's when the camera panned up, then cut to commercial.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 12:22 AM »
Did they ever show this on Channel 9? Also, did Viva release these films on VCD or DVD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4XPxpOTOPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t2fHUu6wAs

Offline Adran

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 01:27 AM »
Also, what is the title of the movie starring Alma Moreno which was shown on Cinema One (or PBC?) once, and where I think she is given her first major role. I thought it was "Starlet" but I can't find it in her IMDB filmography.

I think it's BOMBA STAR  w/ Celia Rodriguez and Marissa Delgado.

Offline kabute

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 01:37 AM »
Ginoong Ralfy, matanong po kayo. Ito po ba'y binibili niyo sa tindahan kapag nakuha niyo ang pangalan ng pelikula? o di naman kaya sa sariling kaligayahan niyo lang po masubukan ang ibang myembro dito ibigay sa inyo ang tamang kasagutan sa inyong katanungan?
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2008 at 05:30 AM by kabute »

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 01:57 AM »
Did they ever show this on Channel 9? Also, did Viva release these films on VCD or DVD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4XPxpOTOPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t2fHUu6wAs

I don't think so ralfy. We used to have a video shop before and the agent of Viva Video would inform us all of their month's new release albeit classic ones for us to choose if we decide to order. I remembered watching though Dance-O-Rama on RPN-9 before.