Author Topic: Desperate Housewives  (Read 17799 times)

Offline deweyfinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Desperate Housewives
« Reply #90 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 01:09 AM »
Uh oh...and to think Desperate Housewives season 4 is premiering this October on Studio 23. 

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Desperate Housewives" degrades Filipino doctors/nurses
« Reply #91 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 08:20 AM »
An online petition is being placed by certain Filipino-American groups demanding an apology from ABC (producers of "Desperate Housewives") for discriminatory remarks made against Filipinos. Here's the link for the petition, followed by the letter:

http://www.petitiononline.com/FilABC/

To:  ABC

To the producers of "Desperate Housewives" and ABC:

We are writing to express concern and hurt about a racially-discriminatory comment made in an episode of Desperate Housewives on 9/30/07. In a scene in which Susan was told by her gynecologist that she might be hitting menopause, she replied, "Can I just check those diplomas because I just want to make sure that they are not from some med school in the Philippines."

As members and allies of the Filipino American community, we are writing to inform know that this type of derogatory remark was discriminatory and hurtful, and such a comment was not necessary to maintain any humor in the show. Additionally, a statement that devalues Filipinos in healthcare is extremely unfounded, considering the overwhelming presence of Filipinos and Filipino Americans in the medical field. Filipinos are the second largest immigrant population in the United States, with many entering the U.S. (and successfully passing their U.S. licensing boards!) as doctors, nurses, and medical technicians. In fact, the Philippines produces more U.S. nurses than any other country in the world. So, to belittle the education, experience, or value of Filipino Americans in health care is extremely disrespectful and plain and simply ignorant. Many of the hospitals in major metropolitan areas of the U.S. (and the world) would not be able to operate without its Filipino and Filipino American staff members.

As Filipino Americans and allies, we band together to ensure that this type of hateful message should not be allowed to continue on our television and radio airwaves. Given the recent amounts of media attention that has been given to Michael Richards (against African Americans), Isaiah Washington (against gays), and Rosie O'Donnell (against Asian/ Chinese Americans), it is ridiculous that this type of hateful speech made it through various screenwriters, the show's producers, the show's actors, and ABC itself.

We demand a public apology to the Filipino American community, and we demand the episode be edited to remove the ignorant and racist remark. We will not allow hateful messages against our community (or any other oppressed community) to continue.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: "Desperate Housewives" degrades Filipino doctors/nurses
« Reply #92 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 10:33 AM »
There's no need to react to these remarks,we just have to  let it go;

We are a class apart; We are Doctors.

We know what we are, and what our capabilites are; To acknowledge them ourselves are more than enough.

We should Always live by the adage that one of our professors told us to live by;

"There is no such thing as a Good or Bad Doctor, there is only a Doctor, and once you turn bad, then you're no longer a Doctor"

A Doctor even if Philippine made, will not be made to react to such a silly remark

Offline 1ringwd4s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • One Ring with The Force
  • Liked:
Re: "Desperate Housewives" degrades Filipino doctors/nurses
« Reply #93 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 01:58 PM »
Ok. Good thing i didnt buy the 3rd season of Desperate Housewives dvd.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 12:48 PM by 1ringwd4s »
One Ring with The Force

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #94 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 12:30 AM »
As annoyed as I am with the reference, it's nothing new. There was a 1985 movie called "Bad Medicine" about Americans who do not have the academic ability to enter a medical school in the States and end up studying abroad. The Philippines was also mentioned in that film as an option for these students.  :(

One really should look at the scene in "Desperate Housewives" in its proper context, though. Although it was offensive to us via "collateral damage," the reference on the episode wasn't directly intended as a racial slur against Filipinos, but rather as a commentary on American doctors who take medical school abroad. The Philippines was just the unfortunate punchline in this case. Usually, it's Guadalajara or some Latin American country that serves as the punchline, as was the case on an episode of "Nip/Tuck" and also in "Going to Extremes," that failed series by the creators of "Northern Exposure." That entire series was about American students who have to take medical school abroad due to academic reasons. And it is true that some of these students do end up in medical schools here. I personally know at least six Americans who have.

That still doesn't excuse the statement. But I think the reactions right now are purely emotional and not rationally thought out. I mean, go ahead and file a complaint if you feel the statement was inappropriate, but at least get the facts straight and word your complaint properly, so we don't look stupid and merely oversensitive, taking political correctness to its disgusting extremes. It really doesn't help that Philippine Health Secretary Francisco Duque's best comment on this is that he's filing a "vehement protest" because: "I believe that the comments were made on the show ‘Desperate Housewives’. I wanted to let them know that Filipino doctors are not desperate."

Drop the inappropriate pun, since it really doesn't do anything to prove that our system of education is at par with institutions abroad. The comment is really unrelated to the issue on hand. In fact, it's rather desperate.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 09:21 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 01:27 AM »
Yes, some U.S. students do not have the academic proficiency to get into a U.S. med school.  Some of them can't get into a U.S. med school because they are financially incapable, not because they are academically inept.

But after passing the medical board exam in the U.S., would the country where the doctor attended med school still be relevant? 

What the Desperate Housewives joke is saying is that even if a doctor passed the state board exam and is licensed to practice medicine in that state, he is still inferior if he graduated from a Philippine med school.

Now that's different.

To me, the joke smacks of discrimination against Filipinos.  I'd like to see them air an episode with slurs against blacks and Jews if they dare. 

==============================================

We should Always live by the adage that one of our professors told us to live by;

"There is no such thing as a Good or Bad Doctor, there is only a Doctor, and once you turn bad, then you're no longer a Doctor"

That's what the joke was saying:  You're not a doctor because you graduated "from some med school in the Philippines."    ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 01:57 AM by barrister »

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #96 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 02:09 AM »
As annoyed as I am with the reference, it's nothing new. There was a 1985 movie called "Bad Medicine" about Americans who do not have the academic ability to enter a medical school in the States and end up studying abroad. The Philippines was also mentioned in that film as an option for these students.  :(

One really should look at the scene in "Desperate Housewives" in its proper context, though. Although it was offensive to us via "collateral damage," the reference on the episode wasn't directly intended as a racial slur against Filipinos, but rather as a commentary on American doctors who take medical school abroad. The Philippines was just the unfortunate punchline in this case. Usually, it's Guadalajara or some other Latin American country that serves as the punchline, as was the case on an episode of "Nip/Tuck" and also in "Going to Extremes," that failed series by the creators of "Northern Exposure." That entire series was about American students who have to take medical school abroad due to academic reasons. And it is true that some of these students do end up in medical schools here. I personally know at least six Americans who have.

That still doesn't excuse the statement. But I think the reactions right now are purely emotional and not rationally thought out. I mean, go ahead and file a complaint if you feel the statement was inappropriate, but at least get the facts straight and word your complaint properly, so we don't look stupid and merely oversensitive, taking political correctness to its disgusting extremes. It really doesn't help that Philippine Health Secretary Francisco Duque's best comment on this is that he's filing a "vehement protest" because: "I believe that the comments were made on the show ‘Desperate Housewives’. I wanted to let them know that Filipino doctors are not desperate."

Drop the inappropriate pun, since it really doesn't do anything to prove that our system of education is at par with institutions abroad. The comment is really unrelated to the issue on hand. In fact, it's rather desperate.

Just my two cents here...let's give it a rest.

Sec. Duque should better train his attention to the growing number of medical professionals using nursing courses as a stepping stone to a more lucrative career overseas...instead of a throwaway remark being made in some US TV show. 
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 02:34 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Tampalos

• Collector
  • Tsing Tsang Tsung
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 04:10 AM »
asus mga ineng, mga joklas at mga sisters, brothers at paders...

siguro tingnan muna natin ang ating sariling bakuran... siguro dapat gumawa din sila ng petition how some of us FILIPINOS also make fun of ethnic stereotypes... how we make fun of probinsyanos, bisayas, etc in our local tv and movies...
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 04:12 AM by Tampalos »

Offline Koolkat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #98 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 06:12 AM »
I don't know why we always overreact with these kind of remarks. Kapag may nagbiro, natural may tatamaan. These reactions from these remarks only validate what they are saying about us. And it's not like wala tayong panlait sa ibang mga bansa. Just let it go.
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #99 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 07:05 AM »
im boycotting this TV show.

even if my wife loves it.

dvd expenses for this tv show are now redirected to more action movies  ;D for me!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 07:59 AM »
here we go again. we look and sound more stupid reacting to the statement taken out of context..... and then blown way out of proportion. (funny thing is it was picked up by mainstream media hook, line and sinker... including the myopic views that was put forth mostly by people who haven't seen even just the clip. mob mentality in action).

i think the statement is more on the state of SOME phil med school and not an outright
(a) condemnation of the philippines/filipinos
(b) condemnation of filipinos in the medical profession
(c) condemnation of philippine med schools in general.
- only those from SOME phil med schools who frequently figures in shady dealings to advance their agenda more so their status. we even have a label for them in these shores: DIPLOMA MILLS.

i think this is more related to the recent nursing board scandal wherein it really cast doubts on the integrity especially of the board passers. the incident caused a stir not just locally but also internationally, knowing the stakes affects them directly also. now we're reaping the effects of that indiscretion... and we're more mad with "desperate housewives" than say, the gapuz and nursing board people. twisted logic, twisted priorities really!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 08:09 AM by gearhead »
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #101 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 08:06 AM »
Even though I don't watch this stupid show, isn't it supposed to be a comedy in the first place? Besides, according to my friends who do watch it, the show has portrayed Asians in a degrading manner before--something about Eva Longoria's Chinese maid, and how they view Chinese people in general. So anything mentioned in the show shouldn't really be taken seriously.

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 08:57 AM »
That's what the joke was saying:  You're not a doctor because you graduated "from some med school in the Philippines."   

Aw....come'on.....Discrimination  ???....Racial Slur  ???

We are a lot more guilty with our clanish ways. :-\

UP Med Student against a UST Med Student.

Far worst, if your'e  a TOP Notcher from Fatima School Of Medicine. :o

Barrister-Even Lawyers are not exempt from such denigration right? Started when President Marcos filled the whole cabinet with UP Grads.
In Medicine, there was a time that only UST graduates can be allowed to practice at the Philippine Heart Center for Asia.

BTW....the joke can also mean......"Your'e probably not aware of your'e saying because you are not a US Medical School Graduate" (Do take the facts that she was offended that she was labelled menopausal, now I've seen women go ballistic,when we inform them of such a diagnosis).

In the end, it's all in the interpretation.
For one exposed more to bigotry...then, it'll come out differently.
Ask an individual who has been working on virtuous projects,then, he can probably relate.

This is what "Good vs. Bad entails". ;)

Offline Tampalos

• Collector
  • Tsing Tsang Tsung
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 09:52 AM »
one thing that should be noted is the character who says it... Susan... come on... are you supposed to take her seriously?  she's clumsy and ignorant...

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 10:16 AM »
Barrister-Even Lawyers are not exempt from such denigration right?

Yes, but that doesn't make it okay to discriminate.

US TV show's producers apologize for 'racial slur'
Inquirer
Last updated 09:57am (Mla time) 10/04/2007

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/news/breakingnews/view_article.php?article_id=92435

Next time they write a joke, they'll think twice about directing it against Filipinos.

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 12:19 PM by barrister »

Offline Tampalos

• Collector
  • Tsing Tsang Tsung
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 10:30 AM »
maybe it's also about time Filipinos stop making jokes sa kapwang Filipino...  the way we make fun of ethnic stereotypes is just as insulting... dontcha think?  LOL...

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #106 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 10:36 AM »
Filipinos are by nature pikon. A lot of people can dish it but few people can take it. 

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #107 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 11:05 AM »
my opinion is that we really shouldn't take this seriously.  it may be distasteful but US movies and TV shows have been doing this for decades.  from generalizing russians and middle east nationals as terrorists to asians being portrayed as martial arts expert.  heck they even ridicule their own president!!!!

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 11:31 AM »
Look at Conan O'Brien. He's working on viciously insulting ALL the nations in the world and see where he'll get hate letters from. I'm disappointment by the way he insulted us: "Mi casa es su landfill". I'm like, what? He didn't even insult us properly.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 11:56 AM »
I'm sort of on the fence with this one but I sort of agree a little with both sides. (America is the Big Bully of the World anyway, has been for decades ,this kind of egocentric loathsome  is common to them)

I just have to wonder.

This has little difference from what Claire Danes said many years ago. But nobody defended Ms. Dane - - punced on her violently in fact - - -  the way Desperate Housewives is being defended.

Could it be because it's a show a LOT of people love? (a head scratcher for me, that).

If this was Heroes that did it, would I not be offended simply because I love the show and don't want to stop watching it?

Could devotion to a TV show actually blur any ethical prerogatives?

If so, that's very interesting.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 12:44 PM »
This has little difference from what Claire Danes said many years ago. But nobody defended Ms. Dane - - punced on her violently in fact - - -  the way Desperate Housewives is being defended. 

I think the difference is that the Claire Danes comments were from serious magazine interviews (Vogue and Premiere); the Desperate Housewives incident was just a joke on a comedy show.

We complained about Claire Danes, and we haven't encountered a similar incident since.  If we ignore the Desperate Housewives joke, it might happen again.  And we can expect the next joke to more vicious than the first.

That's how the racial jokes game is played.  Test it and see if anybody complains.  If the target does not protest, then he's fair game.  That's why a Filipno joke is OK, but a black joke or a Jew joke is not.

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 12:59 PM by barrister »

Offline 1ringwd4s

• DVD Addict
  • One Ring with The Force
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 12:49 PM »
One Ring with The Force

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #112 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 12:54 PM »
Aw! this is Desperate blow to Filipino Medical Practitioners esp. those in abroad...  :-[  :(
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 02:35 PM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 01:21 PM »
A lot of Filipinos are so overreacting. This episode should be an eye opener to medical practitioners in this country becoz whether you agree with me or not, there are still many incompetent doctors around.

And racial discrimination? Uh oh, look again and you'll realize that Filipinos are generally racists! A lot of them dismiss and call people of color including their own brown kababayans as "maitim, ita, negro, baluga, anito etc." They have this strange fixation to anything white. They have a stupid misconception that anything black is ugly and comical! Proof? Wilma Doesnt and Whitney Tyson and that girl in Bubble Gang

Filipino film,TV and advertising should get a bulk of the blame. Take a look at all the billboards in EDSA, NLEX and SLEX. They feature whitening products and pseudo white Filipino celebs. Tell  me one billboard that at least feature even as an extra a person of color excepting anything Benetton. NADA!! Even in a pigfood billboard, they feature a sparkling white fat pig!

Ganyan talaga kalala ang I WANT TO BE WHITE MENTALITY ng karamihan sa mga Pilipino. And you're wondering why we are not taken seriously abroad?

So let's give this a rest and move on!
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 01:30 PM by blitzkrieg »

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 02:27 PM »
This episode should be an eye opener to medical practitioners in this country becoz whether you agree with me or not, there are still many incompetent doctors around.

And it's the same, all over the world, even in the USA. :P

American Medical Practitioners are required to take a requalifying examination, in their various field of specialty every 10 years, and still there are a lot of medical malpractice cases.

Medical Malpractice is equated with Incompetence, so statistic wise, There are less incompetent physicians in the Republic of the Philippines, than those in the USA. ;)

BTW...we are not the best.....Physicians in China and Russia seems to fare better (ehem...statistically speaking) than us. ;) ;D

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 02:28 PM by Alfie »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 03:19 PM »
ABC has issued an apology:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071004/ennew_afp/entertainmentphilippinesustvracism_071004015434

And that's true what you say about Filipinos. We are racist against black/dark-skinned people.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 03:37 PM »
A lot of Filipinos are so overreacting. This episode should be an eye opener to medical practitioners in this country becoz whether you agree with me or not, there are still many incompetent doctors around.

And racial discrimination? Uh oh, look again and you'll realize that Filipinos are generally racists! A lot of them dismiss and call people of color including their own brown kababayans as "maitim, ita, negro, baluga, anito etc." They have this strange fixation to anything white. They have a stupid misconception that anything black is ugly and comical! Proof? Wilma Doesnt and Whitney Tyson and that girl in Bubble Gang

Filipino film,TV and advertising should get a bulk of the blame. Take a look at all the billboards in EDSA, NLEX and SLEX. They feature whitening products and pseudo white Filipino celebs. Tell  me one billboard that at least feature even as an extra a person of color excepting anything Benetton. NADA!! Even in a pigfood billboard, they feature a sparkling white fat pig!

Ganyan talaga kalala ang I WANT TO BE WHITE MENTALITY ng karamihan sa mga Pilipino. And you're wondering why we are not taken seriously abroad?

So let's give this a rest and move on!

Amen :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 04:22 PM »

LAHAT TAYO MAY KAPINTASAN. Nagkataon (?) lang na tayo ang namention na naman sa buong mundo. Why don't the writer of the upcoming DESPERADAS slightly change his script and make racial slur against americans? 'Di ba loosely based ito sa MGA DESPERADANG GINANG? It's just a joke. ;D

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 05:02 PM »
         LAHAT TAYO MAY KAPINTASAN. Nagkataon (?) lang na tayo ang namention na naman sa buong mundo. Why don't the writer of the upcoming DESPERADAS slightly change his script and make racial slur against americans? 'Di ba loosely based ito sa MGA DESPERADANG GINANG? It's just a joke. ;D

'AMERICAN' is not really a 'race' per se. It's more of a nationality. The only REAL Americans are the Native Americans. Americans are generally composed of different sorts of races: English, Irish, Italian, Jewish, Polish, Russian, German, etc. all mixed together. Not to mention the African-Americans, Asians and Hispanics.

Doesn't Desperate Housewives makes slur against the white race every week depicting white American women as adulteresses, ditzes, sluts, bitches, etc.?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 07:25 PM »
Apparently, for some senators an apology is not enough:

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/news/breakingnews/view_article.php?article_id=92508

I think this is overkill already. U.S. TV shows make jokes at the expense of a lot of countries and even at the expense of themselves. They always make fun of how fat Americans are, how dumb their president is, how you can get diarrhea in Mexico, how France is rude and snobby, how New Jersey is a toxic waste dump.

We're just not used to such things, I guess. We're way too thin-skinned.