Author Topic: Integrated SACD/CD/DVD Players  (Read 20391 times)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Integrated SACD/CD/DVD Players
« Reply #30 on: Nov 18, 2004 at 12:47 PM »
Lakay Audioslave is using high-end equipments including exotic cables that understandably are capable of enhancing even more the sound comin even from an ordinary CD. For excellent materials (SACD and outstandingly pressed ordinary CD) that are played in excellent gears, should there be some technical differences, that would be very subtle maybe to be distinguished by the ear. We can distinguish good from better and from best, but not usually if they are all best. --  ;D

Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline audioslave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • used to be audioslave but now a fotoslave
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Nov 18, 2004 at 03:14 PM »
I didn't say SACDs are craps but they're simply not superbly better than hi-rez CDs like that of Cheskys, Sheffields, Telarcs or RRs. In fact, I would say that XRCDs, with their excellent mastering, are even sonically better in two-channel listening. Theoretically, the SACD in DSD format should be 64x better than a 16-bit CD but that's not the real score here. It may be somewhat better to someone like JT but definitely not as superior as the SACD proponents had earlier claimed. I would bet that iceman90a's Consonance Reference CD Player would be a hand-down choice sonically, spinning CD-Rs than my Sony DVP-NS915V (or any of your universal SACD-compatible players) playing original SACDs in a two-channel shoot-out. ;D

Yes, I did switched the ICs but still, the result was palpably similar. I find the CD version more detailed and more pleasurable to listen to in stereo mode.

As JT may have suggested, I might as well bring my SACD Player to the mountaintop for a better scrutiny and to get the impartial judgment of the select "taong bundoks" who are blessed with dog-like ears. With their excellent gears and equipment and discerning ears, they'll be the better judge.

Sir akyatbundok and company, kelan kaya pwede sa inyo? This time let's try the SACD format in your multi-channel system.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2004 at 03:21 PM by audioslave »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 18, 2004 at 04:15 PM »
I didn't say SACDs are craps but they're simply not superbly better than hi-rez CDs like that of Cheskys, Sheffields, Telarcs or RRs. In fact, I would say that XRCDs, with their excellent mastering, are even sonically better in two-channel listening. Theoretically, the SACD in DSD format should be 64x better than a 16-bit CD but that's not the real score here. It may be somewhat better to someone like JT but definitely not as superior as the SACD proponents had earlier claimed. I would bet that iceman90a's Consonance Reference CD Player would be a hand-down choice sonically, spinning CD-Rs than my Sony DVP-NS915V (or any of your universal SACD-compatible players) playing original SACDs in a two-channel shoot-out. ;D

Just to correct your impression.  There's no such thing as hi-rez CD.  They are all 16-bit 44.1khz redbook-based CDs.  Or they won't play at all in CD players.  Even HDCD is 16-bit 44.1Khz with an additional 4-bit of data that instructs an HDCD chip how to play the 16-bit file. 

You may be referring to the masters.  These are your 20-bit or 24-bit, even 32-bit masters done in PCM technologies - often reffered to as high-bit.  But they are all downsized into 16-bit 44.1khz for CD mastering.

Also, bear in mind the recording technologies and histories of SACD mixes.  Most are re-mixes of older masters using the same 20-bit or 24-bit PCM technology.  Decimating them to 1-bit 2.8Mhz DSD will not make them better than their originals.  And well made 16-bit 44-1 downmixes that labels like Telarc, Sheffield, Linn, Chesky, Reference and others have done into CD already stand to represent the height of redbook high fidelity that has cemented Nyquist's theory that you only need 44.1khz sampling frequency to restore the original audible spectrum that matters to human ears. 

Most hardware and software reviews on the net place the difference between an excellent CD playback and DVD-A/SACD playback as merely subtle, often bordering on the non-existent, even on the most transparent gears.  But this is in stereo.  Multi-channel is something else. 

Multi channel re-mixes often restore the dynamics and details that are present in multi-track 8 or 16-channel PCM or analog master recordings that were somehow lost or burried in the stereo downmix.  This conforms to the generally held observation that the lesser instruments multiplexed per channel, the more detailed they get.  One only needs to compare the rich textures and sonorities of a solo piano compared to one with the full orchestra playing.  Multi-channels can resolve those detailing a lot easier and more freely than confining all those instruments in a 2-channel mix. 

Given a choice between stereo and multichannel in a medium offering both, I'd prefer multi anytime.  I hardly have any compulsion to listen to their stereo tracks, after getting a dose of multichannel spaciousness and detailing.  OFcourse, that really depends on how well the remix was done.  So far, multichannel hasn't disappointed me.  At least not on DVD-A.  I have a growing SACD collection still waiting to be played on a good SACD player.  I have resisted getting those universals costing less than 50T as I've read some pundits out there opine that getting the most of the new medium's potential really requires getting a good player.   Most universal players costing upwards of 50T have separate DVD-A and SACD circuits for both.  I would think a SONY player dedicated exclusively for SACD (no DVD-A playback) should do the job well. But I am surprised it didn't for you.  And to think I almost got that same unit form PPP a few weeks back.

Anyway, sorry to hear your SACD player hasn't given the thrills you expect.  Like I said, perhaps you have too high expectations from it.  Or you have not played enough SACDs of other labels.  Whichever, the difference is not as dramatic as you might expect.  Especially not in stereo mode.  Even the stereo-only Patricia Barber SACDs I have are from the mid-90s using PCM masters, so I don't expect them to sound any better than their CD counterparts. (The CD layer on Nightclub SACD sounded identical to my CD copy.)  That's often the caveat with the SACD format as most masters used the PCM recording technologies that somehow makes the transciption to DVD-A ,which is also PCM, appear more natural (if not mathematically easier.)

Talk about Patricia Barber, her Cafe Blue SACD is often used as a reference SACD in a number of review sites i've come across on the net.  You may want to get one if they still have it at Montage.  I didn't get it as I only liked one track.  ;D

Oh well, i can't wait for lossless DTS to replace both in HD-DVD. ;D

Actually, I normally just get the titles I want, regardless of the format.  I've lost all interest comparing, since I had to strain myself just to hear subtle differences.  And a waste of precious little time.   For me, they all sound gorgeous anyway on a good set-up.  So what's the point comparing.   A good CD is my first choice.  If the title I have been waiting for comes in DTS-CD or DVD-A or SACD, I'd get whichever cones first.  That's what happened with some titles I have that are no longer available in CD, but were reissued in DTS-CD,  DVD-A and SACD. That's one real benefit from having a system that can play ALL formats.  So, I would suggest you get hold of the titles you like in whatever format.  I won't  have difficulty choosing between a DVD-A and a CD of the same title.  I'd get a DVD-A, not because of the promises of high-res (which is dubious for me), but for its multi-channel ability.  In the meantime that I still don't have a dedicated SACD player or a good universal, I get hybrid SACD of titles i don't see in other formats.  At least for those locally available.  Otherwise I go online.   Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2004 at 10:15 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 18, 2004 at 05:20 PM »
I would say that XRCDs, with their excellent mastering, are even sonically better in two-channel listening.

i read somewhere that differences in sound quality depends considerably on the mastering quality rather than the format itself.... the mastering process happens to be the specialty of XRCD, that only one facility in the world is qualified to produce them.... the format runs on 16-bit/44khz players yet it sounds so good!

isn't it strange that when you downmix 5.1 DD tracks into stereo LPCM, it still sounds better than the DD stereo tracks, even though they are both 2-channels and both 96khz?  not sure why that is.

Theoretically, the SACD in DSD format should be 64x better than a 16-bit CD but that's not the real score here.

that's 64x as far as the sampling rate is concerned, because we're comparing 44khz for CD and 2.8Mz for SACD..... but when it comes to bit-size, that's 16-bit versus 1-bit in favor of CD....  maybe the difference is really just 4x the number of bits per hertz?

Sir akyatbundok and company, kelan kaya pwede sa inyo? This time let's try the SACD format in your multi-channel system.  ;D

oo ba, i thought you'd never ask. ;D

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 18, 2004 at 05:20 PM »

Just to correct your impression.  There's no such thing as hi-rez CD.  They are all 16-bit 44.1khz redbook-based CDs.  Or they won't play at all in CD players.  Even HDCD is 16-bit 44.1Khz with an additional 4-bit of data that instructs an HDCD chip how to play the 16-bit file. 

You may be referring to the masters.  These are your 20-bit or 24-bit, even 32-bit masters done in PCM technologies - often reffered to as high-bit.  But they are all downsized into 16-bit 44.1khz for CD mastering.

Also, bear in mind the recording technologies and histories of SACD mixes.  Most are re-mixes of older masters using the same 20-bit or 24-bit PCM technology.  Decimating them to 1-bit 2.8Mhz DSD will not make them better than their originals.  And well made 16-bit 44-1 downmixes that labels like Telarc, Sheffield, Linn, Chesky, Reference and others have done into CD already stand to represent the height of redbook high fidelity that has cemented Nyquist's theory that you only need 44.1khz sampling frequency to restore the original audible spectrum that matters to human ears. 

Most hardware and software reviews on the net place the difference between an excellent CD playback and DVD-A/SACD playback as merely subtle, often bordering on the non-existent, even on the most transparent gears.  But this is in stereo.  Multi-channel is something else. 

Multi channel re-mixes often restore the dynamics and details that are present in multi-track 8 or 16-channel PCM or analog master recordings that were somehow lost or burried in the stereo downmix.  This conforms to the generally held observation that the lesser instruments multiplexed per channel, the more detailed they get.  One only needs to compare the rich textures and sonorities of a solo piano compared to one with the full orchestra playing.  Multi-channels can resolve those detailing a lot easier and more freely than confining all those instruments in a 2-channel mix. 

Given a choice between stereo and multichannel in a medium offering both, I'd prefer multi anytime.  I hardly have any compulsion to listen to their stereo tracks, after getting a dose of multichannel spaciousness and detailing.  OFcourse, that really depends on how well the remix was done.  So far, multichannel hasn't disappointed me.  At least not on DVD-A.  I have a growing SACD collection still waiting to be played on a good SACD player.  I have resisted getting those universals costing less than 50T as I've read some pundits out there opine that getting the most of the new medium's potential really requires getting a good player.   Most universal players costing upwards of 50T have separate DVD-A and SACD circuits for both.  I would think a SONY player dedicated exclusively for SACD (no DVD-A playback) should do the job well. But I am surprised it didn't for you.  And to think I almost got that same unit form PPP a few weeks back.

Anyway, sorry to hear your SACD player hasn't given the thrills you expect.  Like I said, perhaps you have too high expectations from it.  Or you have not played enough SACDs other there.  Whichever, the difference is not as dramatic as you might expect.  Especially not in stereo mode.  Even the stereo-only Patricia Barber SACDs I have are from the mid-90s using PCM masters, so I don't expect them to sound any better than their CD counterparts. (The CD layer on Nightclub sounded identical to my CD copy.)  That's often the caveat with the SACD format as most masters used the PCM recording technologies that somehow makes the transciption to DVD-A ,which is also PCM, appear more natural (if not mathematically easier.)

Talk about Patricia Barber, her Cafe Blue SACD is often used as a reference SACD in a number of review sites on the net. You may want to get one if they still have it at Montage.

Oh well, i can't wait for lossless DTS to replace both in HD-DVD. ;D

Actually, I normally just get the titles I want, regardless of the format.  I've lost all interest comparing, since I had to strain myself just to hear subtle differences.  And a waste of precious little time.   For me, they all sound gorgeous anyway on a good set-up.  So what's the point comparing.   A good CD is my first choice.  If the title I have been waiting for comes in DTS-CD or DVD-A or SACD, I'd get whichever cones first.  That's what happened with some titles I have that are no longer available in CD, but were reissued in DTS-CD,  DVD-A and SACD. That's one real benefit from having a system that can play ALL formats.  So, I would suggest you get hold of the titles you like in whatever format.  I won't  have difficulty choosing between a DVD-A and a CD of the same title.  I'd get a DVD-A, not because of the promises of high-res (which is dubious for me), but for its multi-channel ability.  In the meantime that I still don't have a dedicated SACD player or a good universal, I get hybrid SACD of titles i don't see in other formats.  At least for those locally available.  Otherwise I go online.   Just my thoughts.

Nice info Sir AV phile 1, that's Science of Music, consider me one of your fans! Hope to see & talk to you in person on the EB this coming Saturday!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 18, 2004 at 05:23 PM »
oo ba, i thought you'd never ask. ;D

Naks! parang love story! hehehe
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 18, 2004 at 05:30 PM »

This is true, I've read an information on how the 6 channel recording was done. Of course everything came from the original 2 channel master record, but during transfer of data to multi-channel center channel mixing is more focused on vocals, front left and right is more focused on the instruments and sorround is focused on other instruments like shaker etch so when they played simultaneously they all sounds real!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 18, 2004 at 05:55 PM »

Naks! parang love story! hehehe

nakupo ;D ....it's more like "i thought no one would ask"..... for a multi-ch shootout that is.

sino ba interested sa multi-ch audio?  karamihan ng taong bundok kasi binuhos na ang funds sa 2-channel.... i think nels76,  audioslave and me are into DVD-A/SACD..... hirap kasi sa dami ng magandang formats (LP pa!) we are forced to either pour it on one format or get budget-level units for each.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2004 at 06:01 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #38 on: Nov 18, 2004 at 08:26 PM »

Also, bear in mind the recording technologies and histories of SACD mixes.  Most are re-mixes of older masters using the same 20-bit or 24-bit PCM technology.  Decimating them to 1-bit 2.8Mhz DSD will not make them better than their originals.

yup i agree with this one :) galing talaga ni sir av_phile, here's a interesting thread for SACD qualityhttp://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/2536/0/0/0...bigat pala tlaga ng Sony SCD-1 70lbs!!!;D  lossless dts  is the upcoming DTS-HD right? and we need a new decoder for it :-\http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2004 at 08:28 PM by edboy7 »

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #39 on: Nov 18, 2004 at 09:56 PM »

sino ba interested sa multi-ch audio?  .... i think nels76,  audioslave and me are into DVD-A/SACD.....

ako interested bro...maybe we should invite philander to bring over his high end sacd player just to hear what musical magic it can do compared to the universal players out there:D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 19, 2004 at 10:57 AM »
yup i bet philander's sacd player will give justice to the format, i have a couple of sacd's which sound good already on my universal player but i think my player just isn't good enough (inspite of its price)..... i agree with the observation that pioneer universal players convert DSD to PCM before going analog.... at least mine does, i opened it up and the sony dsd chip is located at the front side, too far away from the analog outs..... even the flagship pioneer AX10 receiver is said to do the DSD->PCM conversion after it gets the data thru iLink, but not to worry, even sony's flagship STR-DA9000ES receiver does it too.... so a real sacd player could be our only hope.

Offline audioslave

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 19, 2004 at 11:04 AM »

Well, what can I say, it's AV-phile speaking - one of the best if not the most prominent researcher-writer in this forum. But I would like to stress another point why SACDs, if played in stereo mode in our low end SACD Players (like the Sony DVP-NS915V and other Pioneer SACD-compatible players at the same price range), would always pale in comparison to CDs played in mid level CD Players (like the NAD C542, Rotel RCD-1072 and the likes) for the simple reason that these mid-level CD Players possess more quality components and parts inboard. I'd like to share my travails and quest for answers after finding out how pitiful my SACD Player sounded like after my A-B test. I had doubts on what I heard so I let my eyes compliment my logic. I opened up the hood of both players and visually compared what's inside and carefully located and identified the critical components like the power transformers, DACs, op-amps, and capacitors since these are the parts that play vital roles in the amplification process or in sound reproduction in general, and here's what I found out:

The CD Player is equipped with toroidal transformer thrice the size of that of the DVD Player which is so disgustingly tiny and small. Although the DVD Player may boast of having the Sony CDX2753 DSD chip to decode SACDs, the audio circuitry was designed in such a way that the front left and front right channel share only one op-amp, the rear left and the rear right channel also share only one op-amp as well as the center and the LFE out, totaling only three (3) op-amps for the 5.1 channel outputs. On the analog outs, there is another op-amp being shared by the right and left channel in stereo mode. These op-amps are fed to Elna capacitors of so miniscule in size and in value. Compared to the CD Player, it is gifted with Burr Brown PCM 1732 DAC with integrated HDCD Decoder and separate op-amps for the left and right channel with audiophile-grade Nichicon capacitors with values ranging from 1000uF to 6800uF. Looking at the connectors, the CD Player boast of having gold-plated RCA connectors compared to the tin-plated connectors of the DVD Player.

So, how in the world can these low end DVD Players (like yours and mine) beat the hell out of the CD Players capability and potential to make better music even if you play SACDs on these DVD Players? I would have to agree that SACDs may sound a lot better if these are played in high end SACD Players which are prohibitively priced beyond our reach.

I am not an avid fan of multi-channel music for the simple reason that I can hardly appreciate music coming out from 6 different sources. What's so thrilling about listening to the two-channel medium is that it affords the listener the chance to localize the instruments being played through your system's capability to project imaging and visualize ambience through its soundstaging facility. I just can't equate multi-channel music from a real concert performance where the sound emanates only from the fronts unlike with multi-channel systems where sounds may come from different directions.

To each his own maybe?
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2004 at 11:10 AM by audioslave »

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #42 on: Nov 19, 2004 at 12:15 PM »
I am not an avid fan of multi-channel music for the simple reason that I can hardly appreciate music coming out from 6 different sources. What's so thrilling about listening to the two-channel medium is that it affords the listener the chance to localize the instruments being played through your system's capability to project imaging and visualize ambience through its soundstaging facility. I just can't equate multi-channel music from a real concert performance where the sound emanates only from the fronts unlike with multi-channel systems where sounds may come from different directions

agree ako sa sinabi mo atty. :D

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 19, 2004 at 02:36 PM »
i own about 20 multi-channel discs.  more sacd than dvd-a.  contrary to some think, imho... some dvd-a sounds better than some sacd's, and vice versa.

i agree with this post from the hi-res multi-channel audio thread, some disks are better engineered than others.

on switching between multi-channel and stereo tracks, one thing i noticed is that multi-channel tracks usually sacrifice the frontal soundstage depth in favor of the enveloping surround ambience.... with stereo the backup instruments are usually behind the singer as if you are part of the audience, while with multi-channel it is turned inside & out as if you are onstage as part of the band, you are surrounded by instruments coming from the front, the sides or the rear.... this depends on the way the disk is recorded & mixed, because on one of my multi-ch disks the rears only reproduce the reflections & reverb of the recording venue so the "point of view" is still as if you are in the audience.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2004 at 03:16 PM »
Well, what can I say, it's AV-phile speaking - one of the best if not the most prominent researcher-writer in this forum. But I would like to stress another point why SACDs, if played in stereo mode in our low end SACD Players (like the Sony DVP-NS915V and other Pioneer SACD-compatible players at the same price range), would always pale in comparison to CDs played in mid level CD Players (like the NAD C542, Rotel RCD-1072 and the likes) for the simple reason that these mid-level CD Players possess more quality components and parts inboard. I'd like to share my travails and quest for answers after finding out how pitiful my SACD Player sounded like after my A-B test. I had doubts on what I heard so I let my eyes compliment my logic. I opened up the hood of both players and visually compared what's inside and carefully located and identified the critical components like the power transformers, DACs, op-amps, and capacitors since these are the parts that play vital roles in the amplification process or in sound reproduction in general, and here's what I found out:

Thanks Audioslave, though I am not so sure if i am flattered or what.  ;D  Firstly, let me just say that I'm just like everyone else in this forum, sharing what little I know and the experiences i've had in this highly personal hobby.  I probably just have a few more years in the hobby than most.   But that doesn't mean I have the monopoly of what is right.  There may be such a thing as a proper and improper set-up from a purely technical view, but that's all.  I don't see the relevance of stressing an absolute  right or a wrong set-up in a hobby that will matter only to the person who is in that hobby.    Like you said, to each his own.  What satisfies one's ears is a matter of personal value judgement and may not be valid to another.

But having said that, we can have the entire field of audio beliefs and facts, snake oils and what not,  to healthily debate on at an academic level.  Even among audio engineers, deeply schooled in textbook no-nonsense, many still disagree on this or that aspect of audio reproduction, citing this or that researches that can conflict with one another.  Personally, I have closed my eyes on such debates as a sheer waste of the little time I have left to enjoy this hobby.  

It is interesting to note that many brands like Theta and Mark Levinson have been known to dress-up consumer grade electronics (designed by your price-friendly Sonys, Pioneers and Panasonics) with presumably better quality parts and rebadge them at higher SRPs.  Do they sound better than their originals.  Maybe.  Though many DBTs have consistently failed to statistically confirm any sonic difference between a $300 Sony receiver and a $10,000 Theta Dreadnaught amp or similar gears.  

Talking about DBTs (Double Blind Tests), that is the only "proper" and scientific way to do any kind of comparison, whether between detergents and medicines or electronic gears.  DBTs take away the human cognition often coloured by brand and price familiarity that influence our choices.  They call it "bias-controlled" DBT.  But I doubt, if such things are done at home or in this forum.  Or if at all relevant in this hobby.  We often buy things for reasons other than their utilitarian value, don't we? 

The CD Player is equipped with toroidal transformer thrice the size of that of the DVD Player which is so disgustingly tiny and small. Although the DVD Player may boast of having the Sony CDX2753 DSD chip to decode SACDs, the audio circuitry was designed in such a way that the front left and front right channel share only one op-amp, the rear left and the rear right channel also share only one op-amp as well as the center and the LFE out, totaling only three (3) op-amps for the 5.1 channel outputs. On the analog outs, there is another op-amp being shared by the right and left channel in stereo mode. These op-amps are fed to Elna capacitors of so miniscule in size and in value. Compared to the CD Player, it is gifted with Burr Brown PCM 1732 DAC with integrated HDCD Decoder and separate op-amps for the left and right channel with audiophile-grade Nichicon capacitors with values ranging from 1000uF to 6800uF. Looking at the connectors, the CD Player boast of having gold-plated RCA connectors compared to the tin-plated connectors of the DVD Player.

So, how in the world can these low end DVD Players (like yours and mine) beat the hell out of the CD Players capability and potential to make better music even if you play SACDs on these DVD Players? I would have to agree that SACDs may sound a lot better if these are played in high end SACD Players which are prohibitively priced beyond our reach.

That could be more of a "maybe."  I can only assume it will sound better in a more expensive player.  Most of us do assume that if its more expensive, it has to sound better.  The assumption has some empirical justification at some price ranges.  But it has its limits.  The law of diminishing returns is unassailable, applying to economics as well as to most everything made by man.   Many commercial goods have a price point beyond which you either get nothing in return or just a small miniscule benefit  that is no longer commensurate to the input price paid.  I wouldn't point to those DBTs that say respondents can't statistically distinguish between a Sony and a Theta,  though the thought is most disturbing in its implication.  

Now the issue of equating quality parts with quality sound has spawned some nasty debates in many of the forums I've visited.  I have no intention of creating one here.  Let me just say that quality parts  make a difference in terms of  reliability and longevity.  But as to whether they make sonic difference, I have my doubts. Doubts lang naman.  ;D  Especially among modern fine appliances to begin with.  And i don't think the Sony NS915 is one you can call shabby, is it?   Maybe the comparison with a NAD dedicated to CD playback is a bit strained.  While they should both aim towards the same sonic purity, I am inclined to think they each have different design and performance objectives for their intended markets.  

There are technical reasons why a player would use a single DAC chip  or single op-amp while another uses discrete  DACs and op-amps. And there are design philosophies backing  up one or the other.  In addition, the designers make some compromises or balances between the technical and the ecnomic to achieve market success.  I agree there are sonic merits using one type of DAC or one type of op-aAmp over another.   Things like better channel isolation, better THD handling,  jitter management and lower noise floors come to mind.   The improvements are, however, so minute that their audible merits are often debatable in most forums I've visited.   This, notwithstanding, I won't argue with your value that such things do make sonic difference. They probably do to a certain extent.  I myself would want my gears to be made only of the finest materials out there, who wouldn't?  But we have to pay more.  And that's where the economic reasons for using this or that part enter.  Every consumer grade appliance have compromises to achieve a certain market accessibility.  Such compromises often trade off durability.  Sound quality is another.  But after a certain price point, it becomes debatable.  I am not so sure if the price points of a SONY NS915 and that of a NAD C542 are already beyond those points.  Maybe not.  Perhaps a more expensive SACD player can still have room to deliver better sonics.   Maybe only a DBT will tell objectively.  (But why be objective in this hobby?  ;D)

Lastly. let me just say that there are resons to use torroids over EI transformers - none of which has anything to do with sound quality.  Torroids are more efficient, conserving most of their flux energies that ordinary EI transformers would waste.  They achieve greater performance-to-weight ratios.   Anyone who is into Tube gears would know that Torroids in the power and output stages won't achieve any incremental sonic superiority. They would just lessen the weight for the same output power.   But they definitely cost a lot more to make.  Tube gears using torroids throughout are among the most expensive.  Not necessarily sounding any better than those using EI transformers of the same design.  Here is one area I hope I'm wrong as I have torroids in my gears as well.   ;D   But so far, none of the materials I've read on the matter point otherwise. 

I am not an avid fan of multi-channel music for the simple reason that I can hardly appreciate music coming out from 6 different sources. What's so thrilling about listening to the two-channel medium is that it affords the listener the chance to localize the instruments being played through your system's capability to project imaging and visualize ambience through its soundstaging facility. I just can't equate multi-channel music from a real concert performance where the sound emanates only from the fronts unlike with multi-channel systems where sounds may come from different directions.

To each his own maybe?

This is not to question your assertions on multichannel, but just to share my thoughts in reaction to  what you said.

If you were to research on the history of Hi-Fi, you would see that the early thinkers in the field of audio recording and playback never considered stereo to be adequate for their purpose of delivering high fidelity musical reproduction.  Three(3) channels were considered the MINIMUM.  The more the better, so as to convey the spatial information as convincingly as only a multichannel layout can achieve.  BUT, because of economic and practical manufacturing constraints, both from the makers of software (LPs) and hardware, stereo became the MINIMUM.  Well, with todays technologies, who says we have to be limited to such a mimima?  Already there are gears that put out additional channels for one aspect of high-fidelity that have long been overlooked and sacrificed for practical reasons - the perception of height.  So there's a pair of height channels to speak of now.  ;D

Though quadraphonic sound started in the mid-70s, it died in the market, never to see the light of day again.  Until now.  Many SACDs and DVD-As are only 4-channels that used excellent quadraphonic analog originals from the 70s preserved as they were recorded.    It can be said that Multichannel music is in its infancy.  Many recording engineers today probably were just toddlers when quadraphonics started.  And as such, I can forgive them for being a bit too playful and unnecessarily creative in their multichannel mixes.  Like putting congas at the back and having marimbas pan around 5 channels back and forth as if the musician was running around the hall and back while playing his instrument.   ;D  There's defintely nothing realistic about such mixes.   But that's no different from some stereo mixes out there that are just as playful, where I can hear panning of one instrument between left and right, which also happened during the early days of stereo.  It's a novelty to hear such playful abandon.  I could never call them realistic.   There's hardly anything realistic about amplified music.  If I want sonic realism, I go attend a CCP concert where I can hear real instruments without the aid of electronic amplification.  ;D

Many multichannel mixes explicitly aims to have the listener in the MIDDLE of a STUDIO performance.  Not mimic a LIVE concert performance.  I have nothing against that.  What's so bad about being seated in the middle of a classical, jazz or pop ensemble?   It's not everyday that you get invited to a studio or stage and be seated in the middle of an ensemble.   ;D  But it is a most welcome listening experience for me  One that can be truly revealing of details and presence.  It's an enveloping listening experience that achieves more aural intimacy than anything stereo can offer.  I think that's the word that best descirbes a well-made multi-channel mix - intimacy, immersive intimacy.   The instrumental detailing is more pronounced and their presence more engaging.  Whatever subtlety and nuance hinted at by distant instruments in stereo become more apparent and direct.  Localization is often no longer implied, but stated explicitly. 

If you have a live stage recital or performance DVD-A where the multichannel mix was made realistically, you can almost achieve a "you are there" feeling more than stereo.  For one thing, the audience applause is at the back channels.  Not mixed with the front channels as in most stereo live recordings.  Such a recorded mix gives you the feeling you are at the front row seat or at the edge of the stage. 

Most if not all the classical and jazz music remixed in multi-channel have no discrete instruments at the back, but purely ambiance and secondary reverb information.  Some multichannel mixes even have no center channels as the L and R fronts can easily phantom the center information like any stereo set-up.  In fact, I kinda miss those playfully mixed jazz fussion materials with discrete instruments per channel.  I often wonder when I will get a multichannel Beethoven Symphony # 9 where the orchestra is at the back and the chorus up front, or vice-versa.  That would be very intimate indeed.   ;D

Personally, i've arranged my rear speakers to be more to the sides than the back.  So I can have a wider sort-of 180 degree soundstage without feeling I am in the center of the stage.  Many audiophiles in the net have likewise done similar arrangements, swiching to dipoles and bipoles located at the back when watching movies and switching to side direct floorstanders when listening to multichannel music.  I prefer this arrangement, though I sometimes miss the immersive feeling hearing instruments all around. 

But as you said, to each his own.  No one can quarrel with personal preferrences.  If you are happy with stereo, as I do with most of my sources anyway, by all means. (But listening to 5.1 stereo is another listening experience as well. ;D)  My own preferrence if given a choice on the SAME title is quite clear in my previous post.  People have spent so much time, energy, dedication and resources to bring their stereo set-up to the highest heights that give justice to the best audiophile LPs and CDs out there.   I only wish people would spend the same time, energy, dedication and resources to create a multi-channel set-up that gives justice to multchannel high resolution sources out there.  I really don't see much point preferring one format over the other.  As both on a proper set-up can provide a truly engaging listening experience at home. ;D  As usual just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2004 at 06:04 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 19, 2004 at 03:50 PM »
I just want to share this information I got from the surplus amp thread regarding EI-frame and toroidal transformer.

http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb071998.htm

It seems EI is the safer choice...

hope this helps..

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 19, 2004 at 03:54 PM »
yup its definitely a preference thing, in fact sometimes the preference changes depending on the mood, though i must confess that statistically i prefer the multichannel tracks more often because they have higher resolution and are generally better engineered.... but as always there are exceptions, for instance Linda Ronstadt's What's New DVDA has a very good 24-bit/192khz stereo mix.... unfortunately most disks have lower resolution at 96khz, and there are even some that are 48khz like Donald Fagen's NightFly (great album, not so great resolution).... sorry OT.

in the end, there's no stopping the march of progress, mastering engineers will just have to learn how to use the new technologies for optimum results.... i think its in the mastering & production that new formats are so poorly implemented, the differences are enormous between a good recording and a bad (common) recording even on the same format.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 19, 2004 at 04:21 PM »

in the end, there's no stopping the march of progress, mastering engineers will just have to learn how to use the new technologies for optimum results.... i think its in the mastering & production that new formats are so poorly implemented, the differences are enormous between a good recording and a bad (common) recording even on the same format.

Very true.  And Sad :(

There are good and bad LPs.  Good and Bad CDs.  Good and bad DVD-A and SACDs.  Mostly because you have either good or bad recording engineers dominating the studios over the ages.

Makes you realize the audiophile hobbyist is at the mercy of these engineers, doesn't it?

Ofcourse you can buy or not buy their products.  But you often realize how bad a recording is after you bought it, right?  Unless you listen first to that recording on a friend who has it and then decide to let him suffer alone in his misfortune.  ;D

Then there are professional and not-so-professional online reviews of this or that title.  Makes me wish I have all the time to read them.  And remember, when I'm at Odyssey.  ;D

Come to think of it, maybe those tone controls and equalizers have a sublime purpose afterall.  To set the audiophile  free of stupid recording engineers.  ;D   Then again, I have my doubts if such controls can make a lousy recording sound better.   :( Will they?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 19, 2004 at 06:57 PM »

I don't really care much for comparison of formats, but let me just say that I would not as yet blame the SACD machine for its lackluster performance.  I suggest you get hold of more SACD titles to make a more comprehensive, if subjective,  evaluation - something I also overlooked with my earlier responses.   Often, because the SACD format is new, it's possible the recording mix is not up to par with the potentials of the format.  OTH, after more than a quarter of a century in digital knowhow, many recording engineers have learned how to max-out the CD format for their optimum best. 

I personally would opine that if a performance was recorded straight into DSD, the SACD mix should sound excellent by any standard.  But if the SACD was re-mixed from existing PCM masters from which earler CDs were made, it is highly debatable that the SACD version can be better than a well-made CD version.   It may even be worse.  Just like the early CDs that didn't sound as good as their earlier vinyl versions.

The Raven album from Rebecca Pidgeon came out in 1994, a few years before the first SACDs hit the market.  So I can assume it was recorded using analog or High-bit PCM technology  as most Chesky products do.  So an SACD transciption may not sound better than a well-made CD that chesky is known to produce to begin with.  Do check out some newer SACD albums that started straight from DSD.  Just an afterthought.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2004 at 07:11 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline nvektus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • audio.video.disco
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #49 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 09:04 AM »
don't worry kid...  i'll buy more SACDs and will try it out again next time... hopefully with positive results  ;D

try pink floyd dsotm... don't know if you're into that kind of music though.  ;)  or new york reunion (tyner mccoy), jazz.  i own these 2 and the best sacd mixed i've heard so far.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 11:51 AM »

If SACDs are meant to be enjoyed in multi-channel formats, why do high end SACD Players like the Sony SCD-1 be designed and made as stereo player only and not a multi-channel player?  ;D

They're the first generation flagship SACD players. Circa 2000-2001, if not mistaken.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2004 at 11:52 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 21, 2004 at 08:10 AM »

try pink floyd dsotm... don't know if you're into that kind of music though.  ;) 

yes... listening to the footsteps on On The Run in multi channel was a totally unnerving experience . Wish I had this opportunity back in HIGH school :)

anyway, to stay on topic ...
some universal DVD/SACD players with optical or I-Link outputs has the option of sending pure digital data to the AVR or Multi-Channel Processor/Amp ... that is , you have the choice of letting the Player or the Receiver perform the Audio Processing ( for multi-channel playback ) . Has anyone compared the two choices ?

tia

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 09:06 AM »
anybody can confirm that the cd only performance of the more expensive universal player (i.e denon2900, pioneer969avi, intregra research) is comparable to a similarly priced cd only player? I've read  all reviews of these players and for cd performance, it is mentioned that they are comparable or a bit better than similarly priced cd-only player. If this is the case, these universal players is the way to go.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 09:58 AM »
anybody can confirm that the cd only performance of the more expensive universal player (i.e denon2900, pioneer969avi, intregra research) is comparable to a similarly priced cd only player? I've read  all reviews of these players and for cd performance, it is mentioned that they are comparable or a bit better than similarly priced cd-only player. If this is the case, these universal players is the way to go.

It's possible they're getting better at making universal players with discrete circuitries for CD and DVD-A and SACD.  Not so in the past.  But these are your flagship universals. Very expensive.  Many reviews are indeed surprised to hear they are at par with or even have subtle improvements over their reference CD players.  But this is often an exception than the rule. 

Between a CD player and a universal player costing the same below a certain price point, I doubt that the universal's CD performance is any better.  The former is optimized to perform for CD-only, and for the same cost, a universal does many more things.  I think the saying "jack of all trades and master at none" applies here as well.

One other item to look for in CD playback is HDCD ablities.   As a general rule (with few exceptions), HDCD players sound better than any non-HDCD players, even when using non-HDCD discs, via their analog output.  Thanks to a superior after-DAC filters required for HDCD processing that benefit non-HDCD discs as well.  You may want to do a google research on this.   But if you can find a Universal player that is HDCD equipped, chances are it's CD playback sonics is better than a non-HDCD CD player. 

For me, I'd still prefer a CD-only player optimized for the job. Especially if it's HDCD enabled.   And I'd use a universal player for DVD-A and SACD playback, one with discrete circuitries for each format.  Less wear on the machines besides.  Theoretically speaking, they should sound the same for CDs.  The mathematics behind Nyquist's theorems are the same behind any digital playback equipment that can play CDs.  It's the consumer design implementation that differs between players that can make subtle sonic differences. 

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 10:59 AM »
If the reviews are correct, for something like 45k pesos, you can have a very good cd player plus the advantage of playing other formats. (why will i buy a 45k cd-only player if the performance is the same as a 45k universal player) I think some of the members here have tried these universal players. any comparison?

Offline audioslave

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 30, 2004 at 10:56 AM »
hey guys, i would like to amend my early review on the comparison of the CD and SACD formats played on my CD Player and SACD Player, respectively.

since i acquired the Sony DVP-NS915V just recently, that means i'm not yet quite familiar with its features and controls. found out recently that what i've been comparing in my A-B test is the CD layer of the Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven SACD disk and the Chesky CD version of the same title. of course the CD version if played on my CD Player would be the better sounding medium than the CD layer of the SACD played on the DVD Player.

pardon me on this....

now that i discovered how to play the SACD version of the disk, i did my comparison once again and the result was astonishingly favorable to the SACD format by a very considerable margin of improvement in terms of sonic qualities. the SACD simply exudes a wider soundstage, richer details and fuller bass. it is as if the SACD format is kinda more authoritative in giving musical satisfaction than the regular CD. the SACD format is definitely more revealing on details and dynamics which makes music listening a very joyful experience.

with SACDs, you'll get to hear more....

try it!!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2004 at 11:00 AM by audioslave »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 30, 2004 at 11:07 AM »
Good for you Audioslave;D

Welcome to the world of high-resolution music.   You have a new master to slave on.   ;D  And you can start cleaning out the few SACD stocks at Montage for your new collection.   ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2004 at 11:09 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #57 on: Nov 30, 2004 at 11:47 AM »
hey guys, i would like to amend my early review on the comparison of the CD and SACD formats played on my CD Player and SACD Player, respectively.

since i acquired the Sony DVP-NS915V just recently, that means i'm not yet quite familiar with its features and controls. found out recently that what i've been comparing in my A-B test is the CD layer of the Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven SACD disk and the Chesky CD version of the same title. of course the CD version if played on my CD Player would be the better sounding medium than the CD layer of the SACD played on the DVD Player.

pardon me on this....

now that i discovered how to play the SACD version of the disk, i did my comparison once again and the result was astonishingly favorable to the SACD format by a very considerable margin of improvement in terms of sonic qualities. the SACD simply exudes a wider soundstage, richer details and fuller bass. it is as if the SACD format is kinda more authoritative in giving musical satisfaction than the regular CD. the SACD format is definitely more revealing on details and dynamics which makes music listening a very joyful experience.

try it!!  ;D ;D ;D

Congrats on your new listening experience. Soon you will also appreciate SACD & DVD-Audio's multi-channel capability. Ibang experience din ito, pre.

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 30, 2004 at 05:36 PM »
Dont forget the recommendation of multi-channel audio (SACD / DVD-A) listening.  Your speaker should be the same with your sorround! in order to fully appreciate it!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 04:34 PM »

pardon me on this....

try it!!  ;D ;D ;D

Ayos! Maron na naman bagong pakikinggan.