Author Topic: PINOY BLONDE  (Read 19784 times)

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PINOY BLONDE
« Reply #90 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 10:48 PM »
Of course, I would expect film buffs to think Pinoy Blonde is god's gift to Pinoy cinema. Or better yet, a 2 or so hour commercial for Globe Telecomms.

I disagree with this. I didn't like Blonde much and I'm a - - -but WAIT,  who said I was a film buff?  ;D

Seriously.

I thoroughly respect the opinion of those who liked it. Some of whom I know one way or the other. And I know to have good taste.

Thing is, here's a movie that's doing something. . . "above average", "different", "off center" . . . and a director who has  pedigree  . . .from a company that is building a rep for alternative mainstream cinema . . . BUT  it's the only one out there.

Much as I might get flamed for this, it is a bit hard (unaffordable ,even) to put down something you've placed all your bets on , because then you put down the hopes you pinned on it. Hopes that it'll revive the dying industry. Hopes that it'll change the paradigm of what a Filipino movie can be. Hopes that the mainstream filmmaking environment changes. Hopes that it'll be spectacular.

I, for one, wanted to like this sooo bad and for it to be good . . .because there's little else. Least little else playing in theaters. (There was a whole lot of action at the CCP, though)  The local industry will only be OK when we can afford to NOT venerate a local movie that tries something new (but fails) because there are five more local movies out there that try something  new (and succeed). 

Kudos to Peque for trying and I will urge people to make it a hit because of the long-term repercussions of the industry seeing  economic potential in alternative mainstream cinema. But maybe the environment I envisioned in the paragraph previous might force him (and everybody else and everyone of us who wants to get in the game) to push,push,push.

That's just me, of course.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2005 at 11:02 PM by X44 »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 10:57 PM »
Peque is taking his name literally. The cost of making Hollywood blockbusters are astronomical. People not only want good stories these days they also demand high production value which local films lack. Also the typical pirated CD or DVD wouldnt stand muster to quality control hence the higher price of originals.

Pirated DVDs are better-pressed and sometimes better-packaged than locally-produced DVDs of Hollywood films. I think what local manufacturers like Magnavision and Viva are doing is criminal, too.

And the astronomical costs that go into Hollywood productions mostly go into the star's salaries and the immense marketing and advertsiing budgets.

Given all the money they funnel into their movies and having seen Batman Begins and Fantastic Four and Harry Potter and Mr. & Mrs. Smith and The Last Samurai and Kingdom of heaven and Meet the Fockers and Monster In Law and Bad Boys 2 and Hitch , it's pretty obvious that none of those millions are   going into the so-called" good stories" that people want.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #92 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 11:32 PM »
OT:
Producers should earn from the proceeds from the theaters, first and foremost. Dapat additional profit na lang yung dvd's. And I agree w/ Peque about dvd's being so expensive. If they can give them away for 299 each, then sell them for 299.

Problem is theaters dont pull in as much money as before. Sometimes they make a profit from selling refreshments like popcorn or soda than the movie itself. Some blame it on piracy while others blame it on quality. It takes hundreds to thousands of people working together directly and indirectly to make foreign movies. They either worked in the movie itself or are helping promote it. The same cant be said about local films that have smaller budgets and have fewer people working directly and indirectly on movies hence a far smaller risk on the producer's part. It is possible to break even in the theaters but to make a profit they probably do it through merchandising like clothing and DVDs. I'm guessing Peque cant appreciate it because his DVDs get pirated hence his stand against pirates victimizing local films. As locals we think local DVDs are expensive because the Peso is so weak but if you look at it converted as US$ or Euro it is really insignificant.

Those who make these movies have the right to price it at whatever level they want. Only market forces will force them to price down.

Pirated DVDs are better-pressed and sometimes better-packaged than locally-produced DVDs of Hollywood films. I think what local manufacturers like Magnavision and Viva are doing is criminal, too.

And the astronomical costs that go into Hollywood productions mostly go into the star's salaries and the immense marketing and advertsiing budgets.

Given all the money they funnel into their movies and having seen Batman Begins and Fantastic Four and Harry Potter and Mr. & Mrs. Smith and The Last Samurai and Kingdom of heaven and Meet the Fockers and Monster In Law and Bad Boys 2 and Hitch , it's pretty obvious that none of those millions are   going into the so-called" good stories" that people want.
What Magna & Viva are doing is maximing profits. They know they could never compete with R1 DVDs because those who can afford will buy R1s so they cut their loses and produce stuff that much more locals can afford.

Question is would people watch a movie just for a good story or because A-list actors (even if they dont act too good) are featured? More often than not people watch a movie because it is a franchise (ie Star Wars, LotR, Harry Potter)or their fav actor is there (ie Adam Sandler, Sharon Cuneta, Vilma Santos, Vin Diesel).

Would people watch Star Wars back in 1979 if the visual FX looked like it was done in my backyard? Would people watch the Matrix if it didnt have new visual FX? Would people watch Balahibong Pusa if Joyce Jimenez didnt shed off her clothes? Would people watch Shindler's List if Spielberg wasnt involved in it? It takes more than a good story to make a movie a commercial success.

The need for an immense budget for promotion and marketing is just to get the word out. If people dont know about it then how would they watch it?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 11:46 PM »
The need for an immense budget for promotion and marketing is just to get the word out. If people dont know about it then how would they watch it?

I agree. But then the cost gets factored into the exorbitant total cost of the whole movie , buffing up the argument that it is necessary for the DVDs to be so expensive.

As for people watching  movies for good stories alone, I would say yes but maybe I'm speaking only for myself. It might take more than a good story(and good acting and good directing) to make a movie a hit (just look at all the FF movie fans who liked it for FX) but ultimately, it shouldn't. Good story, good directing, good acting should be enough.

Magna and Viva maximize profits by doing it the classic Filipino way : by making the products cheap.  If those "evil" pirates can muster up the technology and expertise to package their bootlegs decently, what's stopping Magna and Viva?  (the latter of course put out that Spy Who Loved Me DVD whose cover was in misregistered black and white and that Original Sin DVD where , instead of a blurb from a critic on the back cover , the words "Some Quote Will Go here" was in its place )

It's just pure work ethic and professional pride. Or lack of it , on Magna and Viva's part. Just because maliit ang sahod, salaula na ang trabaho? Quality control is quality control, it shouldn't fluctuate with the tag price. 
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2005 at 11:49 PM by X44 »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 12:00 AM »
Problem is theaters dont pull in as much money as before. Sometimes they make a profit from selling refreshments like popcorn or soda than the movie itself. Some blame it on piracy while others blame it on quality. It takes hundreds to thousands of people working together directly and indirectly to make foreign movies. They either worked in the movie itself or are helping promote it. The same cant be said about local films that have smaller budgets and have fewer people working directly and indirectly on movies hence a far smaller risk on the producer's part. It is possible to break even in the theaters but to make a profit they probably do it through merchandising like clothing and DVDs. I'm guessing Peque cant appreciate it because his DVDs get pirated hence his stand against pirates victimizing local films. As locals we think local DVDs are expensive because the Peso is so weak but if you look at it converted as US$ or Euro it is really insignificant.

I don't know the mathematical/logistical implications of it, but i've always maintained, as far back as the first time I heard about the Pan-Asian movement where Thailand and Korea and Japan and Hong Kong and even Vietnam market their "commercial" films to each other's countries that the real answer is to market the stuff we do out there.

Circumventing, in the process, all the obstacles  a local film faces: the indifference of a middle class too snobbish and infatuated with Hollywood that they wouldn't be caught dead mentioning a Tagalog movie title,  the mediocirty of the material because it forces the writers and directors and producers to push the envelope before saying "pwede na yan!" , star salaries and whims which weigh down a movie when out there the Mega/Diamond Stars of all Seasons have no equity with audiences and might give a chance for some would've beens could've beens (i.e. good actors) to shine,etc. etc.

That Pan- Asian thing has been ongoing for almost five years now. (Kasali na nga tayo with those Korean telenovelas pero we only import not export)  And we still only send our films abroad so that our OFWs  (God belss 'em and they deserve to watch their Sharon Cuneta melodramas)  in Hong Kong can watch them.

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2005 at 12:03 AM by X44 »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 222
« Reply #95 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 12:19 AM »
Genius as I was, I don't want to start another potential flame war. One thing to learn is that pinoydvd is still a haven for people who can't take nor respect other people's opinions.

Oh well, can't please everyone. <sarcasm inferred>  ;D

Genius signing off on the Pinoy Blonde thread. On to the next Pinoy movie!

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 12:30 AM »
If the budget for promotion & marketing isnt factored into the total cost/budget of the whole movie then where will they get the funds? Take fast food for example. The material & direct labor cost of a cup of coffee is rather small but because you need to pay the CEO, the army of managers & crew, rent, utilities, taxes, etc the cost of coffee skyrockets.

I honestly would never watch a J. Lo movie but a lot of people who like her plump backside, her singing, or just like J. Lo will watch her very badly scripted movie. A good story isnt enough for the current generation nursed on MTV. You have to be flashy which Pinoy Blonde attempted to be. Heck it got my interest just because of the visuals and the fashion sense of the protagonists. Your average Pinoy flick would never get my attention simply because it caters to the base sensitivies of conservative locals. I enjoy Korean films more (even if I dont understand em) because they're fresh. The last local film I watched and enjoyed (not because of the nudity) is Gamitan. Good story but lousy sex scenes. I hate Maui's boobs but as an actress she is good.

The question now is are Tagalog films up to Asian standards? I've read a short write up on why Korean films became hip again and I dont think what we dish out will match what they demand. Our local films (story-wise) are what our neighbors do not like. Too much crying. Too much melodrama. Too much recycling. I''ve watched a number of commercially successful Korean movies and it doesnt follow our formula.

The AB crowd will not waste their money nor their time on Tagalogs because they know it is all recycled and not even slighly relevant to their lifestyle. Even if it isnt recycled the marketing isnt as such that it'll disprove that notions. If the notion that is recycle is disproved it may have the adverse effect of probably turning off the CD crowd. Mind you our nation has been flooded by Hollywood drivel because they have better budgets and make for more interesting visual experience. The reason why movies are "pwede na yan" is because the budget arent big and no one is stupid enough to commit to a large budget because our content is seen to be acceptable only to CD crowd and piracy will have the rest. How much is a movie these days? Around 100 pesos depending n where you go. Minimum wage is 250-350 in NCR so how does a minimum wage earner keep himself entertained? Probably through pirated CD/DVDs.

In an ideal world a good story should be the only thing that would make people want to watch a movie. Sorry to say but a lot of people preffer visual thrills than an epic story.

Is our local content worth exporting? Is it marketable in other countries? I have a hard time as it is to get people to watch "My Sassy Girl" or "Attack the Gas Station" which takes an open mind to non-Hollywood flicks appreciate.

Cheap products = cheap production. Magna & Viva pay an arm and a leg for the rights to reproduce foriegn content and naturally they want a fast ROI. It isnt about work ethic or professional pride. It is simply profitability. The higher the price the better the quality of someone's product. For example big plasma/LCD cost lots because you're paying for the mistakes the makers make. In pirated CD/DVDs naman there is zero quality control and they only replace bad media on a per incident basis. They have no brand name to protect or foreign partners to please. They're simply a printing press that dishes out third party content. They do not care if masisira yung gumawa ng content because they dont have anything to protect.

Those who think piracy is ok are simply those who have no content to protect or whose content/intellectual property arent worth protecting. I know of one local cartoonist who's time at AIM (Asian Institute of Management) didnt make him any smarter. He thought that piracy isnt a crime. I think he'll change his tune if pirates consider his artwork worth stealing. Pirates are smart enough not to pirate crud.  IMO his strips on the PhilStar are asinine and rubbish. Oh yeah he doesnt draw too well either. Heck that's why you dont see much pirated Star Trek DVDs.

Back to Pinoy Blonde if there's a 1040 or later showing in Alabang I'd probably watch it.

Artistic points aside what matters is if the film is marketable and a potential commercial success. If it is too ground breaking a lot of people may be turned off. Hence the poor quality of your typical Tagalog film.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2005 at 12:48 AM by Ice Storm »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 222
« Reply #97 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 12:31 AM »
I disagree with this. I didn't like Blonde much and I'm a - - -but WAIT,  who said I was a film buff?  ;D

Seriously.

I thoroughly respect the opinion of those who liked it. Some of whom I know one way or the other. And I know to have good taste.

Thing is, here's a movie that's doing something. . . "above average", "different", "off center" . . . and a director who has  pedigree  . . .from a company that is building a rep for alternative mainstream cinema . . . BUT  it's the only one out there.

Much as I might get flamed for this, it is a bit hard (unaffordable ,even) to put down something you've placed all your bets on , because then you put down the hopes you pinned on it. Hopes that it'll revive the dying industry. Hopes that it'll change the paradigm of what a Filipino movie can be. Hopes that the mainstream filmmaking environment changes. Hopes that it'll be spectacular.

I, for one, wanted to like this sooo bad and for it to be good . . .because there's little else. Least little else playing in theaters. (There was a whole lot of action at the CCP, though)  The local industry will only be OK when we can afford to NOT venerate a local movie that tries something new (but fails) because there are five more local movies out there that try something  new (and succeed). 

Kudos to Peque for trying and I will urge people to make it a hit because of the long-term repercussions of the industry seeing  economic potential in alternative mainstream cinema. But maybe the environment I envisioned in the paragraph previous might force him (and everybody else and everyone of us who wants to get in the game) to push,push,push.

That's just me, of course.

You hit it right on the head. Although my own criticism failed to impress the movie critic nazi in here, I'm sure yours can make people understand better the plight of the Pinoy moviemaking industry -- that it is a troubled and struggling one, yet full of hope and ingenuity. Despite the flaws, it is definitely moving forward with production houses like Unitel and independent filmmakers.

Obligatory sarcastic criticism of one sequence in Pinoy Blonde of the day:

"The dialouge slowly decayed into a stench, like the corpse inside the bathroom..."

Just kidding  ;)

O 'yan, sign off na talaga!

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 12:38 AM »
To tell you the truth I was studying how to make money in the local entertainment industry and what I found out is TV is where them oney is. You dont charge patrons for your content but ask a fee from advertisers. Once a pirate enters the theater with a camcorder say your profitability good bye.

A lot of people dont want to watch local content because they consider it a waste of their time and money. Money can be made again but you cannot regain the 1-2hrs you spent watching a bad film.

This doesnt mean Pinoy Blonde is a bad film (by all indications it is good) but your typical Pinoy flick are in my humble opinion plain rubbish.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2005 at 12:59 AM by Ice Storm »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 02:25 PM »
If the budget for promotion & marketing isnt factored into the total cost/budget of the whole movie then where will they get the funds? Take fast food for example. The material & direct labor cost of a cup of coffee is rather small but because you need to pay the CEO, the army of managers & crew, rent, utilities, taxes, etc the cost of coffee skyrockets.

Corporations inflate their prices all the time. Surely you're not saying you actually believe those figures? I actually know someone who works at Lion's gate in Hollywood. Those movies don't cost that much.

The question now is are Tagalog films up to Asian standards? I've read a short write up on why Korean films became hip again and I dont think what we dish out will match what they demand. Our local films (story-wise) are what our neighbors do not like. Too much crying. Too much melodrama. Too much recycling. I''ve watched a number of commercially successful Korean movies and it doesnt follow our formula.

I'm not saying now. I'm saying if we go Pan-Asian, we shift paradigms, we dismantle the formula.  And I beg to disagree. A lot of Korean movies, commercially successful ones at that (Love So Divine springs to mind) , do have a formula and it follows ours, too - - goes a long way in explaining why Korean telenovelas are big here. Same with Hong Kong.

And a low budget doesn't give you an excuse to be slipshod. Try immersing yourself in a lot of independent films, local and otherwise. Go to the UP Film center this week. See how far creativity and resourcefulness can take that low budget. These movies cost a pittance. Some of them become rather successful commercially. They don't rake in the numbers drivel like Mr and Mrs Smith do but they don't cost millions either. So relatively, hindi siya lugi kasi maliit ang investment malaki ang profit. 

It's a prehistoric and obsolete notion that a low budget means low quality. Not when it comes to art, at least.

It isnt about work ethic or professional pride. It is simply profitability. The higher the price the better the quality of someone's product.

Oh it is about professional pride and work ethic. Speaking as a professional, I never sacrifice the quality of my work whether the project I'm doing  cost me a pittance or a fortune. Everybody gets the same level of attention. It's something I notice is inherent in a lot of foreigners I've worked with and a lot of old-generation local craftsmen and professionals. The kind that are sadly, grossly underpaid. Is this the new work ethic of the AIM generation? That work quality fluctuates with the package? Sad if it is.

I understand that they did pay for those rights. But how hard is it to double-check blueprints and templates before you go to press with your DVD covers? It's incumbent upon these companies to exert quality control.  Walang add-cost ang proofreading and color-correcting.  Sloppy worksmanship is like terrorism, there's no excuse for it, no justification , specially coming from  corporations like Viva and Magnavision.

I buy way too many R1s for someone without a permanent job so I would hope these two would get their acts together. Like Warner. They're the only ones I buy R3s from lately. Well, there are the Tagalog films but ibang kwento na yon.

If it is too ground breaking a lot of people may be turned off. Hence the poor quality of your typical Tagalog film.

Hence the poor quality of your average Hollywood movie, when you get down to it. Unless you're saying that something as asinine as Mr & Mrs.Smith  is groundbreaking.  Hollywood plays it safe, too, except  they have the money to gloss over their flaws. Geez, they're  a First World Dinsoaur!    I'm not a blanket defender of Tagalog movies. A lot of them are rubbish. But a lot of Hollywood films also are.

Still,(and Idon't mean this an an offense)  if ,like what you said, what the characters wear in a movie is enough of a  draw for you, then maybe we're talking over each other's heads.

Ultimately, you lose me when the same barometer used to determine a hamburger's "quality" (i.e.profitability) is used for a movie. Profitability does not equal quality in my book. McDonald's may rake in billions but is it good for you? Same goes for Hollywood movies.

Oh, and there are box sets of Star Trek DVDs (the William Shatner-era Star Trek, best of the bunch, great stories) all over the pirate marketplaces. Those pirates have good taste, apparently.  :)
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2005 at 02:46 PM by X44 »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #100 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 02:40 PM »
The AB crowd will not waste their money nor their time on Tagalogs because they know it is all recycled and not even slighly relevant to their lifestyle. Even if it isnt recycled the marketing isnt as such that it'll disprove that notions. If the notion that is recycle is disproved it may have the adverse effect of probably turning off the CD crowd. Mind you our nation has been flooded by Hollywood drivel because they have better budgets and make for more interesting visual experience. The reason why movies are "pwede na yan" is because the budget arent big and no one is stupid enough to commit to a large budget because our content is seen to be acceptable only to CD crowd and piracy will have the rest. How much is a movie these days? Around 100 pesos depending n where you go. Minimum wage is 250-350 in NCR so how does a minimum wage earner keep himself entertained? Probably through pirated CD/DVDs.

Just need to put in my two cents before it gets devalued.

I think it's a mistaken notion that taste is based on economic standing. I know who people from the AB crowd who thinks J Lo is high art. These are the same people who listen to Freestyle and freaking Lighthouse Family.

And at the other end of the spectrum are people who you'll consider as part of the CD crowd who would troll Quiapo for that elusive pirated copy of Citizen Kane or What Time Is It There?

The same AB crowd who will not go to a quality tagalog movie is the same crowd who will not appreciate a quality hollywood movie, much less a film with subtitles in it. Ilang beses na ba tayo nakakita ng post dito sa PinoyDVD na nagsasabi na "ayaw kong manood ng pelikula na mag-iisip ako." For proof of this, I just need to redirect attention to the FF thread -- were the merits of that disaster has been measured in terms of special effects and its chances of showcasing a home theater setup's capabilities. Bayaan mo na yung story, yung direction, yung cinematography -- which are practically non-existent.

That's the crux of the argument here, I guess. We need to make films that will make Filipinos think. And I think the perfect time to shift the paradigm is right now -- when the industry is at its lowest. Let's get crazy with the ideas even if it falls flat on its face -- just like Pinoy Blonde. I believe that the salvation of the Philippine film industry lies in people who are not afraid to try something new -- to rock the boat, so to speak.

Offline obet2

• Apprentice
  • LOVE GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 08:05 PM »
malaki kaya kinita ng pinoy blonde........ no idea ;D :-*
ako'y isang pinoy,sa puso't diwa...

Offline The_Closer

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 08:14 PM »
Like the rest of you, I and my brother watched it in an empty cinema in Gateway (They were only ten people watching it I think).

As for the movie, I gave it 3 out of five stars. In my opinion, the movie was very well acted. I was not jumping in my seat and saying foul to an actor or actress "hindi siya marunong magact!". I like the character of Epi Quizon which really shows the youth today. He curses a lot and has a very care free attitude which is very typical of people who are in their twenties. A quarter life crisis is what would they say. Boy2 Quizon has also grown up and the days from Home Along Da Riles are over. Ricky Davao, Jaime Fabregas and Eddie Garcia gave also fine performances.

What I did not like in the film was the plot. It was so thin that if you skate on it you'll surely fall on the water.  The dialogues were fine. I and my brother were laughing throughout the film. But without a good foundation to start from, even how you compensate with good acting, good directing and good visuals the movie would be still lacking. That is what I felt watching it.

Yes, I agree it was major step for the film industry but storytelling would  be still the bottomline of a good movie. I also like the soundtrack of the film which showcased the talents of Filipino bands today. But some songs were out of the loop in the movie like what was Sugarfree's "Hari nang Sablay" doing in the hotel scene. Parang pilit duon, where it could have been used in another area of the film or not had been used at all.

Great movies are those who challenge you intellectually not only in how the film was written, acted or directed but what the film is trying to tell you. It also  provides you with emotions may be it with happiness or sorrow (Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine comes into mind) . 

I believe that Pinoy Blonde was a good film but not a great film.  :)

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 03:52 AM »
To X44:

We can speculate all day how much it really costs but lets work with what is given. It may be inflated or even padded a bit but I dont think anyone on PinoyDVD could give the actual figures on how much any project would cost.

If we do shift I dont think it'll sell locally. I have yet to see Love So Divine or the telenovelas so I cant verify if it does follow the local formula. Could it be that it has higher production value? Better looking actors (it helped Baywatch alot)?

I have yet to hear of any local indie film become a commercial success. If they do make money by how much? If I recall correctly the only indie film to rake the highest ROI would be the Blair Witch Project as it rode on hype hype hype.

Artistic values aside but our local film industry isnt innovative simply because they know local innovation doesnt sell. Most of the blockbusters that garner international acclaim have a big ticket local megastar or superstar.

In your case you and your kind may put your heart and soul into any project but the production value doesnt match it. Take the film stock or audio mixing for example. I've been to enough local films to know that the film stock is bad and the audio mix is an afterthought. I remember reading a thread about how much little attention & priority is given to post production audio. I remember an "in joke" in Gamitan when Maui mentions that her boyfriend's car is the type that's used to explode on cue.

Again Viva & Magna could care less if you're happy with what they're offering. They're only after profitability and seeming there appears no clause on quality control they dont bother.

At least with Hollywood films bumabawi sila sa ibang bagay. Heck Star Wars was just a big "tech demo" (in computer gaming terms) on the technology that ILM has mastered. It is incidental that it involved Star Wars.

No offense taken but I am also picky on what I watch. When I watched the Fantastic Four for example I wanted my time & money back. The story was too altered. The casting was half bad. Print quality wasnt up to what I saw before. Same goes with Spielberg's butchery of War of the Worlds. I've watched the original 50's film and it is way better even though the visuals are ancient.

You have no argument concerning quality not equating to profitability but quality's subjective (matter of taste and orientation) and profitability is pretty much objective (financial records) but you go right down to it it is all about profitability. It is nice to be groundbreaking and artistic but if in the process you dont bring home the proverbial bacon then it is pointless. Yes I know each isnt exclusive but having the right balance is very difficult that few try.

I've done my rounds in Greenhills and only 1 shop carried Star Trek. ;)

To indie boi:

I am not saying taste is equal to economic standing. What I am saying is that the vast majority of the CD crowd wouldnt know or bother with Mozart when they can have the Sex Bomb girls. Same goes with the AB crowd where they love their Marriah Carrey or their 50 cent.

Is the percent of the CD crowd that goes looking for Shichinin no samurai, Rear Window or Cidade de Deus significant enough to make a bleep on the tasteful "radar"?

Local films must be ground breaking and different from what makes an easy buck. The question is is the local audience ready for a radically new direction? Only a very good movie will tell. I hope that new movie wont be another "Jose Rizal" that basically plays on infatuation of Pinoys with Rizal.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2005 at 04:00 AM by Ice Storm »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 12:32 PM »
If we do shift I dont think it'll sell locally. I have yet to see Love So Divine or the telenovelas so I cant verify if it does follow the local formula. Could it be that it has higher production value? Better looking actors (it helped Baywatch alot)?

I do agree with your first point. I may be alone in this - - and may be flamed for it - - -but I don't think the greater audience here deserves a "good" Filipino film. Or if they do, they should start proving it. Time and time again we've seen attempts , good ones, but somehow they've been ignored for the next Hollywood blockbuster. Hollywood has spoiled the greater audience here. The audience for the so-called alternative cinema we want is very small, very limited.  But that's just me , speaking from what could be a very compromised vantage point.  I do hope it's an arguable point. I'd hate that to be accurate and absolute.

But I still maintain, let's shift, aim higher, go beyond the parameters and try to see if maybe there's an audience out there. I keep going back to the classic example of those American punk groups  largely ignored on their own shores - - -Pretenders, etc. - - - who took their music to Britain in the 70s and got the audience they deserve, albeit small, before their own countrymen jumped on their bandwagon. It's a classic, sad scenario, I know, but it applies, I think. It's lofty, it's ambitious, it's probably a pipe dream but who cares, eh?

And yeah, production values may be not up to par but in the end, like with you and the original War of the Worlds, you have to go beyond that.  You can print Dickens on mimeograph paper and it doesn't lessen its substance. Am I a Luddite for saying that? Gee, I hope not. I hope the audience is better ,more intelligent than that. 

Besides, I saw some of those (digital)  indie films last week on a TV in the CCP lobby and it looked sharp, glossy and very pro. Maybe some studios balk at postproduction costs but I do think there's a marked improvement.

And, incidentally, Pinoy Blonde had terrific production values. (Unitel's movies, as a rule, do, but that's a given) Gagamboy ,too, which has made the festival rounds abroad. Only thing needed now is to work on the content. Well, Gagamboy was good, I thought.

There's a whole slew of indie films that have made it big on shoestrings, not phenomonal sales but real , serious profit nonetheless ( a product doesn't have to have stratospheric sales to be profitable) : Reservoir Dogs, ClerksStranger Than Paradise,   Slacker , House Party , Texas Cahinsaw Massacre,  the first two Evil Dead movies by Sam Raimi,  Blood Simple by the Coens, Super Size Me , George WashingtonSex Lies & Videotape, My Big Fat Greek Wedding  and  Blair Witch, of course, (and yeah, it was bolstered by hype but that's the resourcefulness/creativity I was talking about, it's not all farming out to SFX houses that make or break a movie, in my opinion) among others. And none of these, I might add, had the Hollywood gloss that many of our moviegoing public love so much.   Filipino? Not yet. But let's see.

As for Magna and Viva, I suppose you've just reiterated what I've been pointing out all along. "Viva & Magna couldn't care less if you're happy with what they're offering . . ."   My point, exactly. Interchange Viva and Magna with any merchant/corporation that wants you to buy their stuff and that comes off really . . .offensive. And  these two have the gall to whine about people not buying their products anymore.

I suppose, at the end of the day, it's that classic argument versus art and commerce that we're having here. (The art film versus commercial film dichotomy, which I don't really like)  And that's an argument that has no winners.

(Heck, even out there, a person's worth  is often measured by commercial value, assets: kind of car, salary, etc. I ,for one, would like to have no part of that.)

Corny as it sounds ,I  see a valid point in "fighting the good fight".  And , being the picky viewer that you are, I'd like to think you'd like that if sometimes, we won.

The studios have the monopoly and while they may be too easy targets to blame, let's. I don't think the future is in them but it could be with them.  Maybe my solutions aren't foolproof, but I don't think it's all a matter of having Hollywood money either.

That said,  I'll never stop checking out every new Filipino film with promise, indie or otherwise, that comes around the block. So far, I've seen quite a few worth the trouble and I believe  I'll see more. I'd like to think I'm one of those that deserve a good Filipino film. So I'll put my money where my mouth is.

I guess all I'm saying it I'm just more optimistic and hopeful. And I haven't written us off yet.

And maybe in the end, what we're both saying the audience here sucks. ;D Maybe.

Oh, and ang dami nung Star Trek sa Square. :)
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2005 at 12:36 PM by X44 »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 02:36 PM »
malaki kaya kinita ng pinoy blonde........ no idea ;D :-*

It's so frustrating just what I felt also when MAGNIFICO was shown theatrically. The problem lies also with the kind of audience that we have as pointed out by X and indie. Its not that they can't afford 80 bucks to see a Pinoy flick, because sometimes they watch Hollywood flicks twice!

I did my best but my best was not good enough.  ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #106 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 02:48 PM »

but I don't think the greater audience here deserves a "good" Filipino film.

I agree with you there. We've done good Filipino films; actually, we've done good films that made money--classic answer is Brocka's Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang, which made money. Same with Kung Mahawi Man ang Ulap, which was Mike de Leon's biggest boxoffice hit and which is pretty much underrated. And Nora's made her share of excellent films that were hits--Bulaklak sa City Jail, Condemned, Kastilyong Buhangin...

And before the war, and in the '50s and part of the '60s, our films attracted enough of an audience not just to survive, but to flourish; some of the films made were pretty good, too (Moises Padilla Story, anyone?).

Things change, people change, not always for the better. I've mentioned how Hollywood pretty much took or left the foreign markets alone before the '80s, and how these same foreign markets are now about half of their gross profit, and how this recent trend has killed off plenty of local cinemas. Also suggested how we can turn this around, too...

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 03:22 PM »
maybe Vic Sotto have some answer, the way "Lastikman" hits the box-office before.

Offline talisman30

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 04:00 PM »
Just saw the movie yesterday (well, that's in Butuan FYI, tagal palabas dito! >:(). For me the movie was 7 out of 10 stars (local cinema rating ha? ;D). Great cast and great acting. Hinahabol ko yung mga punchlines sa mga ganitong tipong movies and i was pretty satisfied with it.

However, the plot wasn't that good and pretty shallow. may hinahabol kaya silang deadline? ;D  The script as well  wasn't that superb no offense sa mga ka tropa ko sa pinoydvd. ;D ;D ;D.

i'm not sure if i didn't get it right but if anybody could just address my questions i would really appreciate it:

1st: Bakit ba sila (Epi and Boy2) sigawan ng sigawan? Alam naman nilang may posibleng makarinig sa kanila and probably kill them just like that.

2nd: i really don't understand also the part where "the two" have to pause in the stairs (of hotel mariposa ;D ;D ;D) and have that talk. They were pretty anticipating and analyzing the assignment they were given on their way up and they were suppose to be in a safe place rather than chatting in that area. May yosi break scene pa hehehe...

Pero eaff trip talaga movie and enjoyed it, especially the cameos ;). Effects and uniqueness of the movie was okay also. ;)

By the way, first day of the movie more than 20 was in the theater! ;)

« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2005 at 11:54 AM by talisman30 »
subscribe us at our pre-launch: www.streakdeals.com.ph
like us on facebook: streakdeals.com.ph

Offline fiddlers_green

• Collector
  • I am the king of gladiators!
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 06:14 PM »
I guess Peque Gallaga was just having fun making this movie.  And at the same time,
I think we could see his frustrations of not making the movies that he wants to do. 
I liked the film.  I might be buying the DVD.   :D

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Radix Lecti (Couch Potato)
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Jul 22, 2005 at 11:23 AM »
I saw the film in Robinson's Galleria Cinema 7 (small viewing room, mga 80 pax capacity). The movie was 3/4 filled. Good enough, I guess, considering that I talked to a top executive of SM Cinema and he was shaking his head with Pinoy Blonde's box office performance.

For all its worth, my two cents:
Peque tried to mimic almost every dazzling cinema tricks of Hollywood (except maybe Star Wars and Matrix). Maybe he was trying to show "Kaya Din Namin Yan!" Production design is good. Colors jumping out of the screen (Peque was once the Production Designer of Ganito Kami Noon Paano Kayo Ngayon, remember?).

They must have had too much excitement on the cinema tricks and dialogue (the endless, pointless chatter on Bernal and Brocka), and left the plot contorted and dangling. Most of the audience were laughing -- good for them -- but movie house fell silent towards the end... parang naubusan na ng gas. Movie-referential dialogue is copied from Swordfish, Get Shorty, Be Cool... etc. Flashy fight scenes pero jarring ang placement dahil di naman kelangan sa eksena. I think Peque was flexing his cinema neurons here, trying out things that are new to him.

Yes I welcome experiments but it would have been better served within a tight plot and good narrative, which the movie was, sad to say, not.

They say that the budget was below 1 million because most of the stars in the film volunteered their services for free (or deferred it in case of future commercial success). Even those who gave their songs to the soundtrack was, I heard, not paid.

The Indie community is a caring nurturing community. You will find all sorts of people willing to help. Especially in a Peque Gallaga film. Lets not waste it. And let's not use the term "indie" as another big producers way of cutting cost.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 06:34 AM »
Just saw the movie yesterday (well, that's in Butuan FYI, tagal palabas dito! >:(). For me the movie was 7 out of 10 stars (local cinema rating ha? ;D). Great cast and great acting. Hinahabol ko yung mga punchlines sa mga ganitong tipong movies and i was pretty satisfied with it.

However, the plot wasn't that good and pretty shallow. may hinahabol kaya silang deadline? ;D  The script as well  wasn't that superb no offense sa mga ka tropa ko sa pinoydvd. ;D ;D ;D.

i'm not sure if i didn't get it right but if anybody could just address my questions i would really appreciate it:

1st: Bakit ba sila (Epi and Boy2) sigawan ng sigawan? Alam naman nilang may posibleng makarinig sa kanila and probably kill them just like that.

2nd: i really don't understand also the part where "the two" have to pause in the stairs (of hotel mariposa ;D ;D ;D) and have that talk. They were pretty anticipating and analyzing the assignment they were given on their way up and they were suppose to be in a safe place rather than chatting in that area. May yosi break scene pa hehehe...

Pero eaff trip talaga movie and enjoyed it, especially the cameos ;). Effects and uniqueness of the movie was okay also. ;)

By the way, first day of the movie more than 20 was in the theater! ;)

It was a totally shallow script but what I like was the inventiveness and highly-visuals of the film. They kept on shouting because they can't help it, its part of their argument on the film. But then some gags fall flat, much better if they name what was truly Bernal & Brocka's best film. The discussion would have been better, but instead Peque  mentioned more Hollywood flicks. Its for laugh purposes, the pausing of the two in the stairs of Hotel Marikopa.

Is it still showing dude in the theatres in your place?

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2005 at 06:40 AM by keating »

Offline talisman30

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Jul 24, 2005 at 03:03 PM »
tenk you tenks keating! for what it's worth, again, it was a funny movie and great acting.
subscribe us at our pre-launch: www.streakdeals.com.ph
like us on facebook: streakdeals.com.ph

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 03:44 PM »

Where to buy this???? Ive search a lot dvd stores but still not available.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 08:46 PM »
It's not yet available locally, llanesmark. PINOY BLONDE dvd release is the dvd to die for! With tons of extras loaded including Gallaga's first commentary on dvd, trailers, music videos, docus and deleted scenes.

Peque embrace the dvd format 100%. He has done one docu so far, for the dvd release of KABIT NI MRS. MONTERO.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 09:03 PM »
It was a totally shallow script but what I like was the inventiveness and highly-visuals of the film. They kept on shouting because they can't help it, its part of their argument on the film. But then some gags fall flat, much better if they name what was truly Bernal & Brocka's best film. The discussion would have been better, but instead Peque  mentioned more Hollywood flicks. Its for laugh purposes, the pausing of the two in the stairs of Hotel Marikopa.

Is it still showing dude in the theatres in your place?

I still think that Peque Gallaga's film is him trying to show what a typical Pinoy blondie (your typical Pinoy teenager hanging around Greenbelt and raving on the latest Tarantino or Guy Richie film and have the littlest grasp on Filipino cinema) would make if he were given a chance to make a film. The result is a shallow script, full of Hollywood references, with an in-your-face discussion of Bernal and Brocka (most of the discussions bordering on the obvious traits of the two Filipino directors). It's not a Peque Gallaga film per se, but a film by a Filipino youth in the point of view of Gallaga. I think you'd frustrate yourself if you try to make something out of the incoherent and for-art's-sake innovativeness of the film because it is as shallow as a mud puddle - but what can you really expect from all these pinoy blondies?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 08:36 AM »
Agree......oggs. But Gallaga made the script during Erap's time when pagers were still cool as gadgets. KILL BILL was not yet in full swing back, then.

What I love about the film was its inventiveness.....Gallaga embracing the latest tech and not abandoning his usual stuff thru visual flair that he demonstrated early in his breakthrough films (Oro Plata Mata, Virgin Forest & Scorpio Nights).

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Mar 05, 2006 at 01:32 AM »
According to my professor whose wife is one of the owners of Unitel the Pinoy Blonde Dvd is being finished maybe this summer daw ang release date.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Mar 05, 2006 at 11:28 AM »
According to my professor whose wife is one of the owners of Unitel the Pinoy Blonde Dvd is being finished maybe this summer daw ang release date.

It's now available in the U.S. thru online-stores.  :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Apr 02, 2006 at 12:37 PM »
Just got my dvd from the man who will save Philippine Cinema from extinction, Jojo de Vera. Thanks, dude! I had a great weekend!

The opening scene was a homage to Bernal's MANILA BY NIGHT wherein Bernardo Bernardo was freaking out inside the morgue hysterically played by Cherrie Pie Picache in the movie. Gallaga will bookend the film as he pays homage to Brocka in the end.

He dishes out the commentary with Lore Reyes. It was pure fun to see the cast and crew laughing behind the scenes.
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2006 at 07:26 PM by keating »