Author Topic: Dune - New Extended Edition  (Read 1525 times)

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dune - New Extended Edition
« on: Feb 03, 2005 at 02:09 AM »

Title: Dune
Starring: Kyle MacLachlan
Released: 10th May 2005
SRP: $27.98

Further Details
Universal Home Video has today announced a new extended edition of Dune which stars the likes of Kyle MacLachlan, Jose Ferrer, Max von Sydow and Linda Hunt. The disc will be available to own from the 10th May, and should set you back around $27.98 in total. I'm afraid we dont have any details on extra material at the moment, but we can confirm that the disc will carry both the 2 hour 17 minute theatrical cut, along with the unrated 3 hour 10 minute extended cut.

from DVDANSWERS

Offline El Zar

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Dune - New Extended Edition
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 02:33 PM »
Dune. Longer ? Sandworms too big.  ;D

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2005 at 05:35 PM »

artwork from dvdanswers

8)

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2006 at 10:46 AM »
Finally got my copy yesterday from amazon.com.
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it came in a tin box with both versions of the movie on a flipper disc.

from a Dune fan website:
--------------

This is a great Dune DVD package, Region 1 finally has a good Anamorphic copy of the Theatrical version on DVD. Also, for the first time officially, Region 1 gets the TV edition released on DVD - and it is in 2.35:1 Widescreen - a world first.

The extras are good, with deleted scenes being shown for the very first time too. The only drawback is that Universal tried to fit everything onto a single (double-sided) DVD. This seems to have created a space issue, and the DTS soundtrack that was originally announced has been dropped. What Dune deserved was a 3 DVD set, with an entire disc of extras.

Disc 1 - Side A
Theatrical Version & Bonuses
Audio: English 5.1,  French 2.0
Subtitles: English ,Spanish ,French
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic)
Region: 1

Title Length
1 A Very Delicate Time (Main Titles) 4:47
2 The Guild Navigators Orders 5:47
3 House Atreides 19:53
4 House Harkonnen 19:23
5 The Conqueror Worm 15:10
6 The Harkonnen Attack 20:36
7 The Fremen 11:45
8 The Weirding Way 3:48
9 The Worm Conqueror 3:47
10 The Coming of Muad'Dib 4:37
11 The Water of Life 7:10
12 Wormsign 5:22
13 The Descending Storm 3:18
14 Alia The Avenger 1:12
15 The Last Harkonnen 4:00
16 The Word of God (End Titles) 5:36
Total Running Time: 2:16:19

Bonus Material:
DELETED SCENES WITH AN INTRODUCTION BY RAFFELLA DE LAURENTIIS

Producer Raffaella De Laurentiis explains to the viewer that no final cut ever existed outside of the theatrical release. Along with deleted material from the film.

• Fremen Monk tells Paul that he will have to past tests. Running Time: 0:40
  • Segement of the Original Water of Life sequence, played in the background as Raffaella talks about changes to the film.
  • Extended Irluan introductionRunning Time: 2:16
  • Original scripted introduction to the film, by Reverend Mother Ramallo. Someone (David Lynch ?) off-screen reads the lines "Bi-la kaifa", which according to the script, was the response of twenty thousand voices.
    Running Time: 1:32
  • Leto and Thufir discuss what the Fremen called Paul. Running Time: 1:24
  • Shadout Mapes test Jessica. The first part of this scene appears in the Extended Version, but is cut short, this segment completes the whole scene. Running Time: 1:29
  • Extended scene after Paul and Jessica crash landing in the desert. As scripted it would have been intercut with visions of Caladan. Running Time: 0:42
  • Paul kills Jamis, and gives Water to the Dead. Most of this sequence appears in the Extended Edition, this segment completes the scene. Running Time: 1:11
  • Extended Rabban and Kynes scene. Running Time: 0:24
  • Extended scene, Alia explains the mental battle with the Guild Navigators. Running Time: 0:44
  • Paul dreams of his terrible purpose in Harah's room at Sietch Tabr. As scripted this scene would have been intercut with visions of Caladan, the desert and the blood ocean. Running Time: 0:32
  • Death of Thufir Hawat. This scene appears to have been completed, and includes music. It also appears on the old Fleer trading cards, and so was likely cut from the film at the last minute. Running time: 2:31
  • Paul takes Irulan as his wife, but in name only. This scene appears to have been completed, and includes music. It also appears on the old Fleer trading cards, and so was likely cut from the film at the last minute. Running time: 1:18

Running time: 17:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DESIGNING DUNE
Insight into Dune’s visual design as it was developed by director David Lynch and production designer Anthony Masters, including original sketches and paintings.

Includes interviews with:

Giles Masters (set designer)
Ron Miller (illustrator)
Kevin Phipps (set designer)
Benjamin Fernandez (art director)
Steve Cooper (set designer)
Running time: 8:54

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DUNE FX
From explosive pyrotechnics to the mechanics of the fighting robot this is a look at the process of visual effects artists.

Interesting footage of rehearsing a battle in the desert and the various use of wire work in Dune.

Kit West (mechanical special effects)
John Baker (special effects floor chief)
Trevor Wood (special effects assistant)
Rodney Fuller (special effects floor chief)
John Hatt (special effects electronic unit chief)
Gary Zink (special effects assistant)
Running time: 6:00

DUNE MODELS

Model Supervisor Brian Smithies explains the unique challenges of bringing the models to life on Dune.
Contains storyboards, illustrations, on-set photographs, and early black and white worm tests.

Charles L. Finance (special effects coordinator)
Golda Offenheim (production coordinator)
Emilio Ruiz del Rio (foreground miniatures)
Brian Smithies (model unit supervisor)
Eric Swenson (motion control)
Raffaella De Laurentiis (producer)
Running time: 7:02

DUNE WARDROBE
Bob Ringwood and others explain how nearly 4,000 costumes were designed for Dune.

There are also a few very short glimpses of other cut scenes, including Paul and Chani's love scene, a crowd of Fremen wearing hats, and Jessica in labour. We also learn that Sting should have been naked!

Bob Ringwood (costume designer)
Debbie Phipps (assistant cutter)
Michael Jones ("Milliner")
Mark Siegel (suit head of construction)
Running time: 4:50

PHOTOGRAPH GALLERY (100 pictures)
Never Before Seen Behind the Scenes Photographs and Original Artwork

43 on set photographs
57 artworks

PRODUCTION NOTES
11 Screens of notes about the filming of Dune.

CAST & FILMAKERS
According to the insert with the DVD there is meant to be some notes on the cast and filmakers, but I can't find it!

Disc 1 - Side B - Extended Edition
Audio: English 5.1,
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic)
Region: 1

Title Length
1 Prologue (Main Titles) 9:15
2 Orders from a Guild Navigator 8:44
3 House of Atreides 12:49
4 Face your Fears 12:07
5 House of Harkonnen 11:03
6 The Prophecy 8:30
7 A Traitor in the Midst 10:26
8 Worms and Spice 11:24
9 Betraying the Duke 5:35
10 Attack of the Baron 15:08
11 In the Forbidden Area 9:19
12 Saved by the Fremen 17:34
13 Teaching the Weirding Way 11:06
14 Water of Life 9:41
15 The Time has Come 8:53
16 An Impassable Storm 5:16
17 True Freedom 6:21
18 End Titles 3:28
Total Running Time: 2:56:48
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2006 at 05:24 PM by THX1138 »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 02:49 AM »
wow finally.. an owner. i had this on preorder but i cancelled it. i would like to ask your suggestion if the R1 is a good release. got the steelbook from germany last year and would double-dip if needed. pix shown below:

thanks in advance.

8)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 10:45 PM »
I have mixed reactions on this film. Maybe for second viewing I'll be able to appreciate it. But in defense of Lynch, the film is imaginative, huge sci-fi epic and his adaptation covers the entire span of Frank Herbert's 1965 novel.

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006 at 10:52 PM by keating »

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2006 at 11:15 AM »
wow finally.. an owner. i had this on preorder but i cancelled it. i would like to ask your suggestion if the R1 is a good release. got the steelbook from germany last year and would double-dip if needed.
thanks in advance.

8)

Looks like you have the Australian Dune: Collector's Edition (in Metal Tin casing containing a 32 page colour booklet?)
The difference seems to be in the Special features. Running times may be slightly different because of the PAL/NTSC difference. But i don't know if the transfers are the same.

You can compare both editions in detail here:
Ausie Collector's Edition http://www.duneinfo.com/giedi_prime/dvd_au/index.asp
US Extended Edition http://www.duneinfo.com/giedi_prime/dvd_extended/index.asp

The US version seems to have more behind-the-scenes materials and a whole bunch of deleted scenes not in the extended version. The Aussie version is notable for a rare interview with Frank Herbert on Dune (from an old TV show and EPK of the movie) and DTS!

My only complaint about the US set is that my disc is a flipper.
I prefer two discs so that you dont have to worry about smudges on either side.

Could be worth a double dip if you really want to have the extra bonus materials and the movie(s) in NTSC.

Note: The first batch of DVDs of your version contained an error on the DTS track (the centre channel comes through the right speaker), anyone who has a faulty disc can return it for an exchange free of mailing charges: Reply Paid 83068, Force Entertainment, Returns, Unit 3, 168 Macaulay Rd, NORTH MELBOURNE VIC 3051
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2006 at 11:17 AM by THX1138 »

Offline talisman30

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2006 at 03:33 PM »
I have mixed reactions on this film. Maybe for second viewing I'll be able to appreciate it. But in defense of Lynch, the film is imaginative, huge sci-fi epic and his adaptation covers the entire span of Frank Herbert's 1965 novel.

me too bro. di ko masyado ma grasp you buong movie. baka sa akin 2 to 3 times pa. saw the US TV version release din nito when i was there in 2001.  ;)
subscribe us at our pre-launch: www.streakdeals.com.ph
like us on facebook: streakdeals.com.ph

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2006 at 09:23 PM »
The U.S. tv and cable version suffered with so many cuts. Finally the dvd release is presented in Lynch version. Might change my mind again jore, because its in Tin Case, hehehe.  ;)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2006 at 12:46 AM »
might not double dip.. thanks THX for your review. not sure if my copy is a german or australian release. the steelbook is nice though.

;)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2006 at 01:31 PM »
They should include that rare interview with Frank Herbert on the U.S. version. The film can't be made without so much ideas from the writer.

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2006 at 02:15 PM »
The U.S. tv and cable version suffered with so many cuts. Finally the dvd release is presented in Lynch version. Might change my mind again jore, because its in Tin Case, hehehe.  ;)

Nope this is not the mythical 4 hour David Lynch rough cut. This is the extended TV version which added about 40 minutes worth of aditional footage. David Lynch had nothing to do with it which is why the credited director on the extended cutis Alan Smithee. This is also one of the first US DVDs in the "steelbook" case similar to the Aussie version.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2006 at 06:22 PM »
Nope this is not the mythical 4 hour David Lynch rough cut. This is the extended TV version which added about 40 minutes worth of aditional footage. David Lynch had nothing to do with it which is why the credited director on the extended cutis Alan Smithee. This is also one of the first US DVDs in the "steelbook" case similar to the Aussie version.

My mistake, THX. Will they release Lynch director's cut? How many pages does the booklet contains in the U.S. version?

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2006 at 08:39 PM »
this is the second steelbook released in the US. the first is appleseed.

;)

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 10:02 AM »
this is the second steelbook released in the US. the first is appleseed.

;)

Yup you're right. But I did say one of the first... :)