Author Topic: HINUGOT SA LANGIT - An Ishmael Bernal Movie Classic  (Read 3803 times)

Offline butsoy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HINUGOT SA LANGIT - An Ishmael Bernal Movie Classic
« on: Apr 09, 2006 at 03:55 PM »
I just watched it during the Pelikula At Lipunan Film Festival last March 19, 2006. The movie was simple but intense. Maricel Soriano did one of her best performances in this movie.  ;)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: HINUGOT SA LANGIT - An Ishmael Bernal Movie Classic
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2006 at 06:22 PM »
One thing that I noticed in this film, Maricel only smiled before the closing credits rolled. And yeah, one of her best.

Too bad it only lasted for a few days in the theatres when it came out. The breakdown scene of Amy Austria in the hospital was one of the great moments in this Bernal classic.

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2006 at 06:28 PM »
Maricel was robbed of an acting award for this brilliant film. Nida Blanca surprised everyone with her dramatic turn in Brocka's Miguelito but watching both movies now you can clearly see the difference between the two performances. Maricel's was so restrained, a triumph for Bernal. he was the only filmmaker who can actually control the way she acts on screen and get rid of those annoying mannerisims, another example of this would be her tour de force performance in The Graduates. Nida was just a supporting character in Miguelito but of course she dominated the entire film which i guess was one of the reasons why Nida was honored instead of Maricel in 1985.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2006 at 06:30 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2006 at 06:38 PM »
Maricel was robbed of an acting award for this brilliant film. Nida Blanca surprised everyone with her dramatic turn in Brocka's Miguelito but watching both movies now you can clearly see the difference between the two performances. Maricel's was so restrained, a triumph for Bernal. he was the only filmmaker who can actually control the way she acts on screen and get rid of those annoying mannerisims, another example of this would be her tour de force performance in The Graduates. Nida was just a supporting character in Miguelito but of course she dominated the entire film which i guess was one of the reasons why Nida was honored instead of Maricel in 1985.

Totally agree with you, Jo. The movie is so cynical, and yeah Bernal was able to control her mannerisms  those annoying teeth-clenching style of acting. Whenever I remember that scene when she was outbursting her anger to Joe Gruta for killing Charito Solis during that prayer meeting sequence.......Maricel was brilliant.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2006 at 06:54 PM »
Totally agree with you, Jo. The movie is so cynical, and yeah Bernal was able to control her mannerisms  those annoying teeth-clenching style of acting. Whenever I remember that scene when she was outbursting her anger to Joe Gruta for killing Charito Solis during that prayer meeting sequence.......Maricel was brilliant.

well not all of them. i didn't like her in Pinulot Ka Lang Sa Lupa but loved her in Pabling and Galawgaw. Bernal was able to inject some complexity into Maricel's comedic flair. btw it was Ray Ventura who stabbed Charito in Hinugot...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2006 at 07:00 PM »
My mistake, sorry man. He also passed away a few years back. Who was Maricel's employer before the finale? She looks like Marilou Diaz-Abaya.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2006 at 07:50 PM »
My mistake, sorry man. He also passed away a few years back. Who was Maricel's employer before the finale? She looks like Marilou Diaz-Abaya.

she was Marilou Diaz-Abaya... the film director also appeared in Bernal's Working Girls.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2006 at 10:09 PM »
They were buddies, Ishma and Marilou dating back to early 80's after the success of Abaya's BRUTAL. I now remember the bar owned by the Abaya's where many celebrities used to hang out during the 80's......its KINGKONG.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2006 at 12:37 AM »
They were buddies, Ishma and Marilou dating back to early 80's after the success of Abaya's BRUTAL. I now remember the bar owned by the Abaya's where many celebrities used to hang out during the 80's......its KINGKONG.

was it Kingkong? it's where Vilma met Ralph...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006 at 11:12 AM »
was it Kingkong? it's where Vilma met Ralph...

Yep that's the bar, Jo. And the place also where Ishma & Jorge Arago used to chill out.  ;)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2007 at 09:22 PM »

(Dante Rivero, Maricel Soriano and Evelyn Vargas tried to rescue the late Charito Solis after being stabbed by an assailant in Regal Films' HINUGOT SA LANGIT)

Revisiting this film last weekend, this is Maricel Soriano's breakthrough performance in her entire filmography along with IKAW PA LANG ANG MINAHAL.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2007 at 09:23 PM by keating »