Author Topic: The Nora Aunor Thread  (Read 271823 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re:The Nora Aunor Thread
« Reply #180 on: Jul 30, 2003 at 06:36 AM »
These are the movies that Regal Films produced for Nora:

Mama, Dito sa Aking Puso - Nora, Jaclyn Jose and Matet - movie version of the Hello Soldier play.

Ligaw-ligawan, Kasal-kasalan, Bahay-bahayan - a trilogy of unfinished movies, Nora was in Danny Zialcita's episode.

Regal brought back the Guy & Pip loveteam in the 80's thru the following movies, Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit, Balut, Penoy, Sana Mahalin Mo Ako, I Can't Stop Loving You, Till We Meet Again, and Mga Kwento ni Lola Basyang.

Regal put together Charito, Nora and Maricel in Minsan May Isang Ina.

Nora and Lito Lapid in Kastilyong Buhangin and Gaano Kita Kamahal.

Regal also exploited the real life love triangle of Guy, Pip, and Boyet in Mahal Mo, Mahal Ko.

Regal paired Nora with Alma Moreno in Huwag Hamakin: Hostess, with Rico J. Puno in Disco Baby, with Hajji Alejandro in Panakip Butas and Gabby Concepcion in Totoo Ba ang Tsimis.

Thanks Pinoymovies. I was thinking that one of the seminal movies would have been produced by Regal. Although a few are noteworthy, I was thinking Bona or Atsay could've been a possible Regal DVD release.

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #181 on: Jul 30, 2003 at 10:30 AM »
A bit OT but I think Regal should release Sister Stella L. on VCD.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Jul 30, 2003 at 10:01 PM »
Thanks Pinoymovies. I was thinking that one of the seminal movies would have been produced by Regal. Although a few are noteworthy, I was thinking Bona or Atsay could've been a possible Regal DVD release.

Most the noteworthy films of Nora came from her own movie production NV's Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos and Bona, and independent companies: MRN's Andrea, Adrian's 'Merika, Cherubim's Bulaklak sa City Jail, Ian Films' Atsay, Mga Uod at Rosas and Bakit Bughaw ang Langit, and ECP's Himala. T-Bird at Ako and Ina Ka ng Anak Mo were also from independent productions.

Of the major movie companies, Premiere Productions produced Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo and Fe, Esperanza, Caridad and Tagalog Ilang-Ilang produced Bernal's Ikaw ay Akin. And of course, Viva Films gave us Flor Contemplacion Story which is the only other Nora movie available on DVD.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #183 on: Jul 31, 2003 at 04:27 AM »
Most the noteworthy films of Nora came from her own movie production NV's Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos and Bona, and independent companies:

Which is why they're not available, damn it.

Going independent is the reason why she was able to make unique and uncommercial projects; but being independent, none of these companies had financial stability and are in no condition to take care of their prints.  Makes you want to sit down and weep.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Jul 31, 2003 at 09:28 AM »
Jeez, I didn't even know that.  :( I can't believe that Aunor's ouevres are just deteriorating in some dingy warehouse. Truly sad, indeed.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Jul 31, 2003 at 10:32 AM »
You're lucky if they're in some warehouse. They could have been turned into torotots, or were dumped into the Pasig as reportedly happened to Bagong Hari.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Jul 31, 2003 at 12:36 PM »
Yes, I forgot about the film reel-made torotot cottage industry. Actually, that's sort of my hobby during christmas, I buy about a dozen torotots and unwind them, just to see what film suffered this transformation. During the 90's you can even chance on torotots made from the pene films of the 80's. Blowing your horn achieved a new level of meaning then. :)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Jul 31, 2003 at 02:31 PM »
I think Nora should be applauded for not only starring in but also producing serious films. In an old interview that I read, during her heyday as a producer, she  said it was her intention to bankroll one  serious movie a year apart from the commercial, run-of-the mill fare. Kaya, lang, I also read in another old article that sometimes she was amiss in paying salaries etc.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2003 at 02:34 PM by RMN »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Jul 31, 2003 at 06:03 PM »
Aunor's life is really movie-worthy. I was part of the research team for Ricky Lee's aborted Aunor biography and the stories about her are so "cinematic". I doubt though if anyone can actually make an Aunor biopic.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Aug 01, 2003 at 09:11 AM »
Aunor's life is really movie-worthy. I was part of the research team for Ricky Lee's aborted Aunor biography and the stories about her are so "cinematic". I doubt though if anyone can actually make an Aunor biopic.

Who was to direct?  For what studio, Viva?  When was this...?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Aug 01, 2003 at 10:16 AM »
Who was to direct?  For what studio, Viva?  When was this...?

Sorry for any misconceptions, the biography is supposed to be in book form with Ricky Lee writing it. I know that there was talk of having a screen version but as far as I know that was just a pipe dream -- which the planned bio also turned out to be. Sayang nga because all the material was already in, we have transcribed hours of interviews and all Ricky had to do was write it. I think Aunor herself vetoed the bio at the last minute.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Aug 01, 2003 at 11:10 AM »
There are some biographies already out.  I'm sure Ricky'[s would have been special though...

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Nora sa GMA 7's Magpakailanman
« Reply #192 on: Aug 05, 2003 at 10:00 AM »
Gaganap si Nora Aunor sa isang makabuluhang true story sa Magpakailanman ngayong Huwebes (Agosto 7) nang 9:30 PM sa GMA 7.

Sa episode na pinamagatang `Silang Inihabilin ng Langit,' tampok si Nora bilang Monica Sison, isang dating madre na iniwan ang kumbento para magturo sa Sitio Avocado, isang malayong baryo sa bulubundukin ng Negros.

Kahit mahirap ang buhay sa Sitio Avocado dahil sa mga kuta ng rebelde at dalas ng mga engkuwentro roon, hindi ito inalintana ni Monica Sison.

Nagpursige pa rin itong makuha ang loob ng mga tao roon at mapaniwala sila sa halaga ng edukasyon sa buhay nila.

Hindi ito naging madali para kay Monica dahil hindi agad siya pinagkatiwalaan ng mga tao sa Sitio Avocado.

Para sa kanila, walang kuwenta ang edukasyon.

Dahil na rin sa pagpupursige ng dating madre, tinanggap siya hindi lang bilang guro ng mga ito kundi bilang kaibigan, kapatid at ina sa mga batang sa tingin niya ay inihabilin ng langit para gabayan niya.

Dalawa sa mga kabataang naging pursigidong ipagpatuloy ang kanilang pag-aaral ay sina Jen (Sunshine Dizon), isang babaeng nag-asawa at nagkaanak nang maaga, at si Amado (Michael Roy Jornales), na tumatakas pa sa kanyang ina at sa gawaing bukid para makapag-aral.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2003 at 10:01 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
Himala - The Musical
« Reply #193 on: Aug 12, 2003 at 01:00 PM »
Pilipino STAR Ngayon 08/12/2003

Sa gitna ng maraming negatibong ispekulasyon, tuloy pa rin ang pagtatanghal ng musical version ng Himala, ang award-winning film na ginawa ng superstar na si Nora Aunor sa direksyon ng yumaong si Ishmael Bernal dalawang dekada na ang nakakaraan. Ito ay gagawin sa CCP Main Theater (Nicanor Abelardo Theater) sa ika-22 hanggang ika-30 ng Oktubre.

Ayon sa Calendar of Events ng Cultural Center of the Philippines, ang Himala ay tungkol sa walang hanggang pakikibaka ng tao at kanyang paghahanap ng pananampalataya.

Ang Himala ay base sa libretto ni Ricky, musika ni Vincent de Jesus, musical direction ni Chino Toledo at direksyon ni Soxy Topacio. - Dennis Adobas

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Aug 20, 2003 at 11:38 AM »

Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit on DVD is now available for pre-orders at regalfilms.com.

A Noranian sent us a review of Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit from The Urian Anthology book. Its called the Quintessential Tagalog movie. Read the review by visiting the url below:

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/Moviereviews.html
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2003 at 11:46 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re:Himala - The Musical
« Reply #195 on: Sep 09, 2003 at 09:43 PM »
Pilipino STAR Ngayon 08/12/2003

Sa gitna ng maraming negatibong ispekulasyon, tuloy pa rin ang pagtatanghal ng musical version ng Himala, ang award-winning film na ginawa ng superstar na si Nora Aunor sa direksyon ng yumaong si Ishmael Bernal dalawang dekada na ang nakakaraan. Ito ay gagawin sa CCP Main Theater (Nicanor Abelardo Theater) sa ika-22 hanggang ika-30 ng Oktubre.

Just to update this info, the latest I heard ay November 2004 pa raw ang musical version ng Himala.  Sayang naman at napostponed ito.

Anyways, if you haven't been to the Nora website lately, we've added more movie reviews from the Urian Anthology book like Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos, Atsay and also Noel Vera's review of Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Sep 26, 2003 at 10:05 AM »

Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit on DVD available at www.regalfilms.com for only $9.99.

Three Nora movies on VCD now available for pre-orders at regalfilms website.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2003 at 11:34 PM by pinoymovies »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Sep 26, 2003 at 10:23 AM »
Fe Esperanza Caridad is pretty good, especially Esperanza (a funny domestic comedy by Lamberto Avellana--Nora at her comic best) and Caridad (a metaphysical horror drama by Gerry de Leon).

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Sep 30, 2003 at 11:05 PM »
I'm glad that Regal and Viva films are finally realizing there is a market for Nora's old films. Another Nora VCD, the classic Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo is now available for preorders at regalfilms.com

I hope to see DVD or VCD of Himala, Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos, and Bulaklak sa City Jail soon.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2003 at 11:29 PM by pinoymovies »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Oct 01, 2003 at 03:12 AM »
From your lips to God's ear...

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Oct 06, 2003 at 09:27 PM »
Perez: It's Nora or nothing
Posted: 10:40 PM (Manila Time) | Oct. 05, 2003
By Nini Valera
Inquirer News Service

'Bituin, Buwan at Araw'

DIRECTOR Elwood Perez is no longer keen on joining this year's Metro Manila Film Festival even if his movie project starring Nora Aunor has crept up to the 10th slot of finalists.

Perez said he might just have to wait for another film festival before he starts shooting "Bituin."

"Officially, the movie is now on hold," he said. "It's already too late in the day to consider making the film just to make it to the festival. I am not the type of person who would just rush into things."

Perez told Inquirer Entertainment that Aiza Seguerra, one of the lead stars of the project, titled "Bituin, Buwan at Araw," is no longer available to do the movie.

"So out of delicadeza, we are not doing the movie just to make it to the film fest," he said. "She [Aiza] is as important to us as the other stars in the cast."

Aside from Nora and Aiza, the movie would have starred Snooky Serna and Jiro Manio.

Star Cinema's "Milan" had pulled out of the film fest due to delays in the shooting schedule.

The next in line, Dolphy's "Harry Father," also dropped out since the comedian wanted to change the story, which the film fest committee did not allow.

Perez pointed out that he was a stickler for detail: "I am very precise about what I want in the movie and I want Aiza to be in the movie."

He also questioned the changes in the cast and script of the other entries, like Viva's "Paano Kita Pasasalamatan," which originally had Lolita Rodriguez among the lead. Lolita, whose asking price was reportedly $1 million, was replaced by Armida Siguion-Reyna.

But Caloocan City Mayor Rey Malonzo, who is the vice chair of the MMFFP, said minor changes in the cast and script were allowed by the committee.

"We allowed such changes," he said in a cell phone conversation. "What we did not allow was a total change of project, as in the case of Dolphy."

Malonzo added that the filmfest committee might opt not to fill up the 10th slot anymore.

"We'll just have nine entries, but nine films that will hopefully make money," he said.

'A movie within a story'

Perez, whose collaboration with Nora in the '80s produced hits as "Till We Meet Again," "I Can't Stop Loving You," and "Pacita M," among others, admitted he was desperate to do another Nora starrer.

"I am the person who suffered most when the film was not chosen as an entry," he said. "I have been out of the scene for about a decade. During those years that I was not making movies, I was trying to develop materials, and this Nora Aunor movie was one of those materials. It was a very long process. We've been working on the material for so long, that's why I'm so frustrated.

"This is not a cheap project. We need original songs. There's a story within a story, a movie within a story."

It also took Perez a long time to convince a producer to bank roll the project. That producer is lawyer Gaudioso Manalo, who refused to be interviewed, saying he had given his director the authority to talk on his behalf. Manalo, however, said he would still produce the movie next year.

Perez also debunked the perception that a Nora Aunor movie would bomb at the tills.

"Between Nora and myself are several movies that were hits," the director said. "We have a history of blockbusters. Will the producer invest so much money on the film if he thinks it will not make money?

"I don't want to rock the movie industry. I don't want to sound like I'm sour-graping. My movies with Nora Aunor made money. I will still make the movie, even if I have to wait another decade to do it."

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re:Himala: the musical
« Reply #201 on: Oct 06, 2003 at 09:43 PM »
Himala (The Musical)
Libretto by Ricky Lee
Musical direction by Lutgardo Labad and Vincent de
Jesus
Directed by Soxy Topacio

“ Walang himala! Ang himala ay nasa puso ng tao! “
After this revelation, Elsa was shot by an unknown
assailant. Twenty years after, the country is once
again in search of a miracle. Based on the film by
National Artist Ishmael Bernal, which critics have
hailed as one of the best pictures ever produced by
Philippine cinema, the musical re-visits man’s endless
struggle and quest for faith. Superstar Nora Aunor
returns to the stage in this moving story about faith
and faithlessness, truth and delusion.

Tanghalang Nicanor Abelardo (CCP Main Theater)

October 17, 18, 19, 24, 25 at 8:00 pm
October 26 at 3:00 pm

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Oct 07, 2003 at 12:51 AM »
Wow, thought this would be delayed till next year.  Is this for real?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Oct 07, 2003 at 09:14 AM »
Oh, yeah, i forget to mention that the post regarding Himala: the musical came from the mailing list of Tanghalan Pilipino, the resident theater company of the CCP.  Check it out here
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2003 at 09:15 AM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Oct 08, 2003 at 04:13 AM »
It's a little confusing, is all. First tuloy, then di tuloy, then tuloy ulit. I wonder what happened.

Edit: that post is May 27 pa.  I think we should check the latest posts...
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2003 at 04:16 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Oct 08, 2003 at 11:42 AM »
Hmmm... yeah Its been confusing. And the CPP website doesn't say anything either.  However, I saw one of the cast members ( I don't recall who she was) promoting the musical  on tv.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Oct 09, 2003 at 10:08 AM »
The latest I heard the show will go on without Nora this year. The show will be back with Nora next year, Nov 2004.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Oct 09, 2003 at 10:41 AM »
Ah, that sounds about right.  Thanks, pinoy.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 11:19 AM »
Hanggang dito na lang at magandang gabi Any ino/background on this Nora Tirso starrer? Saw theVCD recently...

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Oct 18, 2003 at 01:07 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, the title is MAGANDANG GABI SA INYONG LAHAT.  It's a thriller based on a komiks nobela by Orlando Nadres and directed by Lupita Concio.