Author Topic: Speaker Modification / Upgrade  (Read 78569 times)

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Speaker Modification / Upgrade
« Reply #270 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 06:46 PM »
i bought a pair of LSA1 bookshelfs, the standard model because I really can't afford the Signature model. Main difference between the two models are: capacitors (Signatures have the auricaps) and natural lamb wool damping material for the Signatures. Cost difference between the models is USD 500. The Signatures also have mills resistors and high quality internal wiring. I listened to the Standard model (w/ stock caps) for roughly 100 hours and when I had the chance to buy 2 pairs of 2.2uf and 4.0uf auricaps, which are not really that expensive, I replaced the polyester caps that came in with Standard model because I want those speakers to go up the next level. I like the stock sound but change in caps will make the sound better IMO. After thorough run-in, I'm really satisfied and I can say that I will never go back to the old sound again.

Was the effort and extra expense justified? A big yes!

This is the same exoerience i always have  when i do the capacitor upgrade. Changing the normal white color power resistor to the  likes of mills.will remove the hardness in sound especially at higher volume.

Just based on experience though, the mundorf supreme is a step better to the auricaps. Price difference between the two is not that much.

Enjoy.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline sonnysin168

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #271 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 08:03 PM »
I wanted to try the auricaps. Sounds excellent to me. Detailed highs, lovely mids and huge bass. Besides, LSA uses them in their Signature models. My aikido pre-amp's output caps are mundorf silver/oils and my Cayin cd-50's output caps are mundorf supremes.

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 08:31 PM »
Searched the forum and found no mention of this piece of free software I just came across which might be of interest to all the DIYs here.  The software is Speaker Workshop.  I have not had a chance to study it but from the website's front page it can use a PC's sound card to measure and display frequency performance curves.  It might be interesting to compare the "hacks" you guys are discussing in this thread with this thing.

RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #273 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 11:59 PM »
paano ba yan? me nabile ako kay gery na tubes na tig 250 pesos, pero ng tinignan ko sa web......http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-6386.html

buti na lang hindi pang audio yung tube.... :D

naku ka Tony, ginto na naman ang natisod mo! si mang gerry parang the goose that laid golden eggs....he's da man! kitakits  ;)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #274 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 06:12 AM »
Philbrick K2W isa sa kauna-unahang op-amp. Meron kayang ganito?

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2011 at 06:46 AM by rascal101 »

Offline monreq

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • DVD Guru
  • Only a deaf can't distinguish good from bad audio.
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 09:10 AM »
This is the same exoerience i always have  when i do the capacitor upgrade. Changing the normal white color power resistor to the  likes of mills.will remove the hardness in sound especially at higher volume.

Just based on experience though, the mundorf supreme is a step better to the auricaps. Price difference between the two is not that much.

Enjoy.
I can attest to what Edwin said.  His Denon amp was tube sounding kahit di pa ako lasing when I auditioned it. ;D  The soundstage can be compared to a good quality tube amp.  I will say Edwin knows what caps/resistor to be replaced to make an SS amp better.  I think he only replaced 2 caps and some resistors.  Also, his speakers though 2 way bookshelves sounds like a floorstand that can rival many high end brands I tested/heard.  More so, I also experienced to replace with Mundorf Supreme my sold Wharf Crystal floorstander  and some capacitors of my Yamaha CA 1000 series 2, 2 years ago.  Night and day ang difference.  Thanks for the invitation bro.Edwin. You have good ears. ;)  
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2011 at 09:14 AM by monreq »
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 09:41 AM »
It's true that we can limit ourselves to what we can afford.  It's not practical to upgrade if the amp/speakers has a good sound already.  But the problem arise when we hear high end amps or speakers, realizing that it has  better components which result to better sound quality.  That realization is a growth to our audio experience.  We can't ignore the fact that those cap upgrades, crossover modifications can really result to audio nirvana.  Because, if this upgrade or modification things were not true, Do It Yourself guys may not exist after all.  For me I became a D.I.Y guy "wannabe," to satisfy myself and be able to imitate at least some good SQ of those high end audio components I heard/tested.  I can't afford those high end audio gears.  Thus, I would say that modification is really fun esp.if it is successful. :)

So those guys who can afford and have the guts to modify your gears, keep it up.  But don't forget to seek technical assistance from the experts, if we are not experienced to do it. :) 

"Learning is a never ending process."  Only a fool will say he already knows everything.   ;)
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 10:24 AM »
Ganda pala ng sound tripping ninyo Bro.

I agree. If you can afford it and you know what to do, keep it up. It is true, learning is a never ending experience. Until now, I am still learning thanks to many people in PDVD.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2011 at 10:31 AM by rascal101 »

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 01:45 PM »
Ganda pala ng sound tripping ninyo Bro.

I agree. If you can afford it and you know what to do, keep it up. It is true, learning is a never ending experience. Until now, I am still learning thanks to many people in PDVD.
Oo bro.  Later, I ended up almost drunk.  Thanks to you and others who shared their learning experiences, as well.  Because of people like you, my principles/ideas grew and still growing. It's a great help listening/reading to different kinds of principles and getting the good principles/ideas together, to come up with a better one. :)

P.S. Sorry Out of the topic. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2011 at 01:46 PM by monreq »

Offline sound garden

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 07:57 PM »
Oo bro.  Later, I ended up almost drunk.  Thanks to you and others who shared their learning experiences, as well.  Because of people like you, my principles/ideas grew and still growing. It's a great help listening/reading to different kinds of principles and getting the good principles/ideas together, to come up with a better one. :)

P.S. Sorry Out of the topic. :)
Brader parang marami kang na discover dyan sa singapore ah. I miss singapore brader.
Clarity, detail, accuracy, and realism are unmatched....

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Apr 28, 2011 at 03:41 AM »
ako pagtritripan ko yung receiver ko this week. upgrade power caps and preamp coupling caps uli :).

buti na lang bloated na yung power cap so excuse na rin 'to :).

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Apr 28, 2011 at 06:00 AM »
Brader parang marami kang na discover dyan sa singapore ah. I miss singapore brader.

lucky plaza? ;) ;D :D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Apr 28, 2011 at 10:17 AM »
Oo naman. ::)  I also discovered maraming young female locals dito mahilig magpakita ng legs  at ....  Masyado na sila na impluwensiyahan ng western style.  Ang hirap talaga maging lalaki tapat sa asawa.  hmmp :D
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2011 at 10:18 AM by monreq »

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Apr 28, 2011 at 10:18 AM »
lucky plaza? ;) ;D :D
Dami pinay diyan sir.  Remittance center yan di ba?   :)

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Apr 28, 2011 at 10:20 AM »
Oo naman. ::)  I also discovered maraming young female locals dito mahilig magpakita ng legs  at ....  Masyado na sila na impluwensiyahan ng western style.  Ang hirap talaga maging lalaki tapat sa asawa.  hmmp :D

Tandaan mo baka ma-bingo ka  ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Apr 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM »
Dami pinay diyan sir.  Remittance center yan di ba?   :)

yup maraming sellers sa may basement, nakakatakot bumile dyan......yung mga vendors halos nanghaharass na, kaya kung hindi ka in lang bibile tumingin ka na lang...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 03:05 PM »
yup maraming sellers sa may basement, nakakatakot bumile dyan......yung mga vendors halos nanghaharass na, kaya kung hindi ka in lang bibile tumingin ka na lang...
Agree.  Just like in Sim Lim, dami din ganun like what you said.   ;)

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 03:47 PM »
naalala ko yung unang salta ko sa singapore nung 1981, nagtatanong lang ako ng sony cassete deck sa people's park, hindi na ako binitiwan nung seller hanggang hindi ko nabile yung ite,....

kaya hayun ng umuwi ako namura ko mula ulo hanggang paa yung nagpabile.....

Offline edrel sison

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #288 on: Apr 30, 2011 at 07:54 AM »
Unlucky Plaza, me too has purchased a keyboard over there though i have gotten a fairly good deal.. ;D
I have stayed in a nearby hotel for about a month way back 1993.
I miss Singapore! ;D ;D

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: May 03, 2011 at 03:32 AM »

3. replace inductors to copper foils instead of copper wire,; https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=22

these things will provide you with the ultimate tweaking experience....

Paralleling chokes should have similar effect of lowering dc resistance. You then compensate by increasing inductance or number of turns to achieve required inductance.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011 at 03:48 AM by rascal101 »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: May 03, 2011 at 05:01 AM »
^why do things twice? paralleling chokes is hard work......if you can do with 1 choke......

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #291 on: May 03, 2011 at 07:46 AM »
In my lifetime, I have not seen an actual circuit or schematic with paralleled chokes.

I've seen paralleled caps, resistors, transistors, heck - even 3-terminal regulators but why not chokes?

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: May 03, 2011 at 09:39 AM »
Paralleling identical transformers is a practice observed by some companies (not audio related) so identical chokes should not be very different.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: May 03, 2011 at 09:47 AM »
Paralleling identical transformers is a practice observed by some companies (not audio related) so identical chokes should not be very different.

Yes, paralleled transformer windings I have seen, but still not chokes. I take it that you have seen this done before?

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: May 03, 2011 at 09:54 AM »
Yes. For SMPS with height limitation we are forced to do this specially when handling very large currents or loading.

Offline edrel sison

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #295 on: May 03, 2011 at 10:11 AM »
if you have identical chokes lying around connecting them in parallel would probably make sense. starting from scratch however would not be a very good idea. if you need to lower the DCR like cutting them into half you may actually choose to use a larger wire size. however using copper foils for chokes might be different because of the difference in geometry. for one winding gaps are reduced.

it would probably like a round vs. flat speaker cables here.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: May 03, 2011 at 10:15 AM »
Yes. Many high power SMPS use copper foils for the chokes and transformers now. Customer applications are very demanding on loading and form factors nowadays.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: May 03, 2011 at 11:36 AM »
I guess it's safe to say that if real estate is not an issue (but height is) then it's a genuine solution. However, for something like speaker chokes then it's probably rudimentary to just use a single, properly designed choke rather than to parallel two.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: May 03, 2011 at 12:09 PM »
Suggested it as there may be some (slim) condition where two small chokes is better than one large choke. True. For most speakers one properly designed choke should be better than two.

Offline kristan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: May 08, 2011 at 02:20 PM »
How about upgrading the speaker drivers?