Author Topic: handling projectors  (Read 1182 times)

Offline mixx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
handling projectors
« on: Jul 20, 2005 at 05:35 PM »
hi to all! just want some expert advise on how to handle projectors..............ive got this epson sh1 projector and only for about 50 hours of usage i can see some pixels dying or loosing colors now (not to mention ive got 1 dead pixel already)....i have a sound system rental business  and just recently aquired this projector  for my added services............i would like to know if moving the projector while it is still hot has an effect on this, im sure i have handled this projector with extreme care coz i myself would set it up at gigs, anyways your advise would be pretty much helpful to me :)

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
Re: handling projectors
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 07:58 PM »
hi to all! just want some expert advise on how to handle projectors..............ive got this epson sh1 projector and only for about 50 hours of usage i can see some pixels dying or loosing colors now (not to mention ive got 1 dead pixel already)....i have a sound system rental business  and just recently aquired this projector  for my added services............i would like to know if moving the projector while it is still hot has an effect on this, im sure i have handled this projector with extreme care coz i myself would set it up at gigs, anyways your advise would be pretty much helpful to me :)

not a problem with ours but if you unplug/switch off the unit while the fan is still on I think this is where you'll have an issue.  just my 2 cents

thanks.
Know Thyself!

Offline mixx

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 08:15 PM »
could a power  surge contribute to these problems? coz i could remember in one of our events the power went out and before i could turn off the unit........the power came back on again

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 11:41 PM »
could a power  surge contribute to these problems? coz i could remember in one of our events the power went out and before i could turn off the unit........the power came back on again

hmmm oo nga no... like dennispm said, meron shutdown routine yung pj when you put it in standby where the fan will try to cool off the lamp... everyone says that if you bypass this routine (by shutting it off via the main power switch instead of the standby switch), it will shorten the life of the bulb.

in case of a power interruption, nabypass na yung shutdown routine, bigla pa nagpower up, sounds like a recipe for disaster... ano ba experience ng mga owners ng pj's? is it prudent to invest in a ups for the pj?

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 07:40 AM »
Bro dead pixel at 50hrs of usage is a projector defect,try to bring it back to the seller maybe you can ask for a unit replacement pa or kahit man lang free repair services.My friend experienced the same thing and he was told its not the lamp but the motor or something then his unit was replaced with a new one,im not sure about the brand lang kung epson din.

Offline nosferatu

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2005 at 08:30 AM »
hmmm oo nga no... like dennispm said, meron shutdown routine yung pj when you put it in standby where the fan will try to cool off the lamp... everyone says that if you bypass this routine (by shutting it off via the main power switch instead of the standby switch), it will shorten the life of the bulb.

in case of a power interruption, nabypass na yung shutdown routine, bigla pa nagpower up, sounds like a recipe for disaster... ano ba experience ng mga owners ng pj's? is it prudent to invest in a ups for the pj?

It ussualy takes 90 secs. before you can safely unplug the projector, yes, its best to invest on UPS to protect ur pj. also check ur pj if it has a safety feature like Panasonic's "direct power off" theres a built-in capacitor in the pj even if u unplug the pj immediately the fan will continue running, though i would not advise doing this always, but at least if theres powers interruption you'll know that ur pj is protected.

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2005 at 10:39 AM »
It ussualy takes 90 secs. before you can safely unplug the projector, yes, its best to invest on UPS to protect ur pj. also check ur pj if it has a safety feature like Panasonic's "direct power off" theres a built-in capacitor in the pj even if u unplug the pj immediately the fan will continue running, though i would not advise doing this always, but at least if theres powers interruption you'll know that ur pj is protected.

that's a very cool feature! though it seems like this feature is not being offerred in their AE500 and AE700 pj's

oh well, it's a good thing them upses are now affordable, got a decent one from a well known brand for just P2k

Offline nosferatu

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2005 at 12:54 PM »
yep AE 700 doesnt have that feature, BTW, the "Direct Power Off" pala  is for sony, Panasonic is "Off and Go".

Offline rear_naked_choke

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 01:39 PM »
What is "Off and Go"?  I have a Panasonic AE300, and didn't notice this in the manual.

I've heard arguments for and against just turning a projector off, in contrast to allowing it to shut down slowly with the cooling fan.  My question is when the projector is turned on (a "restrike") again.  Because while my projector was running, a friend of mine tripped on the power extension and turned off the projector immediately.  In my panic, I reconnected the extension, then proceeded to turn on the pj right away.  The power indicator light blinked for a while, then turned on normally.  I'm now starting to believe that the quick restart actually did more damage to the lamp than the sudden power disruption.  My question is how much damage do these quick restarts do to the lamp?  I know this is not an exact science (especially lamp life which isn't even part of the warranty because of unpredictability), but I would like to know if I did a MAJOR booboo (as in, better start shopping for a new pj), or just something that, you know, you shouldn't do "as much as possible".

Offline nosferatu

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 04:01 PM »
What is "Off and Go"?  I have a Panasonic AE300, and didn't notice this in the manual.

I've heard arguments for and against just turning a projector off, in contrast to allowing it to shut down slowly with the cooling fan.  My question is when the projector is turned on (a "restrike") again.  Because while my projector was running, a friend of mine tripped on the power extension and turned off the projector immediately.  In my panic, I reconnected the extension, then proceeded to turn on the pj right away.  The power indicator light blinked for a while, then turned on normally.  I'm now starting to believe that the quick restart actually did more damage to the lamp than the sudden power disruption.  My question is how much damage do these quick restarts do to the lamp?  I know this is not an exact science (especially lamp life which isn't even part of the warranty because of unpredictability), but I would like to know if I did a MAJOR booboo (as in, better start shopping for a new pj), or just something that, you know, you shouldn't do "as much as possible".

The AE300 does not have this feature, only current models of their data projectors. What it actualy does is it has a built in capacitor enaugh for the fan to continue running even if the plug is pulled out immediately but like i said , i wouldnt advise this as doing frequently.

regarding ur question, when ur friend tripped on the power ext. and when u immediately plug in the pj , what the pj did is it again turned on its fan to cool down the lamp first before it turned on normally (projects image) this will depend on how long the pj was turned on before that kind of incident. IMO, doing the quick restart helped the pj to cool down normally, worst thing that could happen is ur lamp will be busted, but if its still working, then theres no need to worry. (no need to shop foa a new pj) but as u said , this is something "u shouldnt do as much as possible"  :)