Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 576345 times)

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #1170 on: Jun 23, 2005 at 09:33 PM »
sorry medyo off topic pero how the wharfedales compare to the gale speakers...

thanks!

It depends ano amp gagamitin mo?

both are good speaker.

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #1171 on: Jun 24, 2005 at 09:04 AM »
sorry medyo off topic pero how the wharfedales compare to the gale speakers...

thanks!
Hans is right it depends on the Amps you are going to use.......and many more factors. However, in my opinion these two brand speakers are not much for comparison.  Better audition it yourself.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1172 on: Jun 26, 2005 at 10:32 AM »
bakit di pa nya sinuggest na 9 series na rin yung fronts? baka may luma pa silang stocks ng 8 series na inuubos...
money is best spent

Offline zakkaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1173 on: Jun 26, 2005 at 12:18 PM »
Can anyone suggest a Whar speaker combo specifically for movies?  Budget is P40k including receiver.  This is what one of the shops have suggested:

Yamaha RX-V450  P14,000
Diamond 8.3 Front  P6,800
Diamond 9.cs center  P4,500
Diamond 9.sr rear  P3,800
Dynaquest 12 subwoofer  P5,900

Total cost: P35,000.

I don't much about speakers but I do get very particular when it comes to surround sounds blending in smoothly during a movie.  Any of the above I should change?  I still have P5,000 headroom.
try going to spectra @ parksquare 1 the price of diamond 8 series are lower than the one above
if you're very particular with the surround sounds, why not go for the dfs much bigger than the sr

Offline ASuL

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1174 on: Jun 29, 2005 at 10:37 AM »
ok...im kinda isold in getting the diamond 9 series for my speakers or at least they're on top of my list because of their affordability...but which of the following amps would you recommend to drive them considering power, features and PRICE!  i'm initially getting the 9.2 or 9.4

HK AVR 130 - P17,900
Marantz SR4500 - P17,500
Yamaha RX-V 450 - P14,300
Yamaha RX-V 550 - P14,800

thank you so much...comments and suggestion are high appreciated!!!

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1175 on: Jun 29, 2005 at 11:45 AM »
Any of those receivers will match well with the Diamonds. 

In terms of Power, I would be biased with the HK (since I'm using one) because of its high-current design.  Although on paper, it would seem to have lower RMS rating than the other brands, you should hear how it performs and ecide for  yourself.

Features...I think the Hk130 is just 5.1 while the others are already 6.1 or 6.1-ready (correct me if I'm wrong).  It really depends on what system you want.

Price...I guess the Yamahas are the most affordable.

Bottomline...Get the one which sounds best to you.
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline ASuL

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1176 on: Jun 29, 2005 at 02:43 PM »
ok..thanks...

which shops carry the wharfs and marantz?

Offline zakkaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1177 on: Jun 29, 2005 at 04:33 PM »
ok...im kinda isold in getting the diamond 9 series for my speakers or at least they're on top of my list because of their affordability...but which of the following amps would you recommend to drive them considering power, features and PRICE!  i'm initially getting the 9.2 or 9.4

HK AVR 130 - P17,900
Marantz SR4500 - P17,500
Yamaha RX-V 450 - P14,300
Yamaha RX-V 550 - P14,800

thank you so much...comments and suggestion are high appreciated!!!
try going to spectra so that you'll be able to audition it

Offline ASuL

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1178 on: Jun 29, 2005 at 05:16 PM »
wala po yatang marantz ang spectra...not sure

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1179 on: Jun 29, 2005 at 05:34 PM »
sent u pm. bring CD and DVD during audition. its fun!
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1180 on: Jun 29, 2005 at 08:42 PM »
wala po yatang marantz ang spectra...not sure

electronics depot carries marantz and wharfedale.

Offline Rhandz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1181 on: Jul 01, 2005 at 11:58 PM »
Guys from the specs, mas mataas yung sensitivity nung 9.5 sa 9.4. It means na mas madaling idrive yung 9.5 kay sa 9.4? How come?

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1182 on: Jul 02, 2005 at 12:13 PM »
Guys from the specs, mas mataas yung sensitivity nung 9.5 sa 9.4. It means na mas madaling idrive yung 9.5 kay sa 9.4? How come?

i think the 9.4 is easier to drive because it only has one woofer vs the 9.5's 2 (w/c also explains why the 9.5 is louder). i think you should check a speaker's impedance rather than its sensitivity if you want to determine if it is an easy load or not.

Offline watson's box

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1183 on: Jul 02, 2005 at 12:18 PM »
Hi, Im just new here...im looking for advice since iam planning to set up a mini theater in our house and i have considered using the following equipments:

diamond 9.4 for the fronts
diamond 9 CS
diamond DFS (4x for 7.1)
diamond sw150
marantz sr4500

Is this a good combination(the speakers and receiver)? I plan to use it in both music and movies... and is it better to use the DFS for the surround back channel rather than a diamond 9sr?

Thanks! :)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1184 on: Jul 03, 2005 at 08:41 PM »
Hi, Im just new here...im looking for advice since iam planning to set up a mini theater in our house and i have considered using the following equipments:

diamond 9.4 for the fronts
diamond 9 CS
diamond DFS (4x for 7.1)
diamond sw150
marantz sr4500

Is this a good combination(the speakers and receiver)? I plan to use it in both music and movies... and is it better to use the DFS for the surround back channel rather than a diamond 9sr?

Thanks! :)

Marantz and Wharf are both on the warm side i learn that its better to partner gears that have different character, remember matching is important but the gear above are good already. ;D ;D

Welcome to pinoyDVD. ;D

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1185 on: Jul 03, 2005 at 08:44 PM »

Was able to hear this Wonderful speaker last Saturday at Jetok's house. :)

Would like to thanks Spectra. ;) ;)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1186 on: Jul 03, 2005 at 08:52 PM »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1187 on: Jul 03, 2005 at 09:32 PM »
9.6 is BIG....

BIG in soundstage you'll notice the presentation is huge with the feeling of front row seat in a jazz concert the separation hay..you'll also hear the highs and mids that provide a sense of openness and airy feeling.

BIG in imaging considering its huge size this will impress you with it good definition, imaging that i thought mini monitor that are good for even with its 8" woofer trancient response is very good from rock, new wave to jazz sisiw play some drum track it will take your breath away.

BIG in VOCALS Love the sweet sweet mids tried male to female and the result is DA BEST maybe due to its separate midrange driver. ::) ::) ::)

btw gears used:
preamp - Consonance Basie preamp
amp - AMx tube amp
TT - GR-1 with Rega Bias cart/stylus

special thanks to spectra ulit.. ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2005 at 09:36 PM by hans adriane »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1188 on: Jul 03, 2005 at 09:35 PM »
sana me ibang kulay available for the 9.6, btw anyone tried the 9.6 in a small room?

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #1189 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 07:53 AM »
Byutiful 9.6 ;D -- magkano ba yan ngayon mga sirs? tnx  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1190 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 08:35 AM »
Byutiful 9.6 ;D -- magkano ba yan ngayon mga sirs? tnx  ;)

For 17k kakatuwa coz kakaiba ito sir. :)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1191 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 08:40 AM »
sana me ibang kulay available for the 9.6, btw anyone tried the 9.6 in a small room?

Bro you can inquire with Spectra or your nearest suking audio shop. ;D ;D ;D alam ko meron pa iba color aside from the one we audition. :)

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1192 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 09:24 AM »
Hi! newbie here as well.  :)

I was able to audition the 9.6 and for me it sounds very good especially the mids, very clear.  The 9.5 I think has the same sonic characteristics as the 9.6 but for my ears the only difference is that the 9.6 has clearer mids and more detail than the 9.5.  I don't exactly know the sonic terms to use but the 9.6 was superb.

Was able to compare it to MA B4, AE Evo 3 and Infinity Primus 360 (auditioned these at Achitectural Audio yesterday) and personally I think the 9.6 sounds better than these 3.  But then again that's a personal note.  And this surely is not an objective observation considering that I heard the speaker in different stores.

Offline vvt-i

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1193 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 10:42 AM »
impression ko sa 9.6:

out of the box, thin and dull yung base, neutral and mids, and the highs were smooth pero kulang sa sparkle.

after 3 hours of moderate volume level hooked up to a tuner, it started showing its potential. extended at transparent na yung highs pero smooth pa rin, never harsh or sibilant. yung vocals sa holy cole trio was handled with ease and composure, same with linda rondstant's what's new and sinatra's summerwind.

yung mids natural na natural walang coloration, i believe ito ang strength ng 9.6 considering it's size. imaging is excellent engaging ang vocals, guitars, and piano. big soundstage. we tried different genre of music like vivaldi's four seasons, led zep's moby dick, carol kidd's i thought about you, carl tjadr's guachi guaro, steely dan's gaucho, new order's blt, etc and the presentation was very good.

the base took longer to settle in, it's fast, punchy, and analytical but delivery is inconsistent. not bloomy or as forceful as i hope to be considering the size. maybe kailangan pa ng break in matigas pa yung woofer at kailangan medyo crank up the volume para lumabas yung magandang base.

for me this is value for money, maganda na design (similar to wharf's evo series), solid build quality, imposing appearance (huge), though it's not perfect but it performed with flying colors. exceptional yung naturalness ng mids and give the base a little more time to realize its full potential and you will have a speaker that is hard to beat at this price range.

looking forward to owning one.

akyatbundok ikaw naman mag review para malaman namin impression mo.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2005 at 10:45 AM by jetok »

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #1194 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 01:00 PM »
better than B4?

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1195 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 08:13 PM »
my turn.... (opinion only):

box dimensions are nicely proportional, size is just right in jetok's room, but maybe not in smaller rooms.... if it gets any shorter it would look fat.

i prefer the cherry finish (we tested beech)... rosewood would have been great but the 9's rosewood is too brown & dull unlike Pacific Evo's bright & reddish rosewood.

the tweeters are higher than ear-level; when listening at close distance it seems like the sound is higher, but only very slightly... hans tells me that it sounds fantastic just behind the sofa, but i'm too lazy to stand up.

the speaker does a bookshelf-like disappearing act, with sounds coming from a wide area behind the speakers, width & height have lifelike scale (maybe coz of the room?)... even if you look at the speakers the sound appears to be coming from the wall behind it.

imaging stays consistent during complex passages even when we turn up the volume, the scale just gets bigger... slight caveat: it does seem like it needs to be played a bit louder than usual for best results, but that may be because it's still in the break-in stage??  note: my "usual" volume may be lower than most people.

midrange: voice, sax & piano are wonderfully detailed and natural... i like the tone of female voices on Diamonds & AE -- warm and thick... sometimes it nails a voice (like holly cole's) and what comes out is magical.

bass is fast & tuneful, sometimes powerful but sometimes shy (break-in again?)  B4 has more bass so it sounds great with new wave (incredible for its small size)... but acoustic bass is fast & detailed with the 9.6 (incredible for its big size).... if anything i would like the woofer to loosen up more but not too much, and maybe a little bit more sparkle in the highs but as-is its already very good.... try listening to Pink Floyd "The Wall", its amazing.

« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2005 at 12:28 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1196 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 01:43 PM »
Sir Akyat,

How does it (9.6) compares with your MS Floorstander. I really like to know, I already like the sound of your MS.

Thanks.

Jcob

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1197 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 04:07 PM »
jcob,

i didnt compare side-by-side but since i have a Diamond 9.1 i would "guess-timate" that the relative differences are:

highs: 9.6 is a little more laid back
mids: 9.6 is warmer and thicker
bass: 9.6 seems faster, not sure w/c has more

i like voices on the Diamonds than MS, probably an acquired taste since i used AE for a long time; female voices are more familiar to me, and more emotional..... that doesnt mean i dont like voices on the 908, i like it too.... when comparing 2 good products they sometimes have overlapping strengths & weaknesses; and sometimes conclusions are are thrown out the window when you play a different recording or use a different amp or room..... then there are other things such as budget and size that will determine the better choice (maybe WAF? impedance/sensitivity? resale value? etc etc etc).
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2005 at 04:17 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1198 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 04:26 PM »
Thanks sir. I guess I want to know the difference between different brands, specialy MS against Diamand 9. Ang hirap kasi i-audition and compare nito kasi mag kaibang store ang may dala.

So if you were to choose, ano pipiliin mo? MS908 or 9.6

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1199 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 05:39 PM »
Thanks sir. I guess I want to know the difference between different brands, specialy MS against Diamand 9. Ang hirap kasi i-audition and compare nito kasi mag kaibang store ang may dala.

So if you were to choose, ano pipiliin mo? MS908 or 9.6

Bakit upgrade na ba agad sir??

musta pala di ka na pakita sa session.. ;D