Author Topic: The Lord Of The Rings DVDs  (Read 156254 times)

Offline himura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • D'oh!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The Lord Of The Rings DVDs
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2002 at 02:04 PM »

I'll try Dante,

Theatrical 2-disc set: Obvious

Director's Cut 4-disc set: The director included several scenes not shown in the theatrical release. Movie is spread out into 2 discs, the rest are extras.

Limited Edition Director's Cut 4-disc set: Same as above except the packaging looks like old parchment or leather (I think!)

Box Set: A box set consisting of either the Dir.Cut or the Limited ed. plus a dvd of "National Geographics; Behind the Lord of the Rings", and 2 LOTR themed bookends.

There you go Dante. Popular rumor states that the extras in the 2-disc and the 4-disc sets are different. If it's true, good luck in deciding which to get, or good luck in saving up for this ;)

Note: I forgot if the 4-disc sets are actually 3-discs. One or the other. ???

Thanks dude for clarifying the releases...  :D

Ouch!!! It looks as New Line wants  fans to grab at least two copies of LOTR...  :-\

Offline Battousai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2002 at 02:27 PM »
It really gets my blood a boiling whenever movie companies release several editions of a movie on DVD.  >:(
Parang niloloko lang tayong fans coz either we fork out more money to get the extras, or magtiis tayo sa makakayanan natin.
Kaya sila kinakarma with piracy( opinion ko lang )

Offline Titus

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 11, 2002 at 01:52 PM »
New details on the 4-disc Special Extended Edition and pictures of the Gift Set:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/361/361646p1.html

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 11, 2002 at 03:41 PM »
Wow, the Gift sets look..........expensive! :-\ ;D :'(

These are basically the same to what Titus has posted (the link):

WIDESCREEN
From digitalbits.com
3D Animated Menus
DVD ROM Features (Exclusive online content)
3 in-depth Documentaries programs that reveal the secrets behind the production of this epic adventure, including:
-"Welcome to Middle-earth" in-store special as shown by Houghton Mifflin
-"The Quest for the Ring" as debuted on the FBC Network
-"A Passage to Middle-earth" as premiered on the SCI-FI Channel)
15 Featurettes originally created for lordoftherings.net, which explore the locales and cultures of Middle-earth and include interviews with cast members Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Liv Tyler and others.
Exclusive 10-minute behind-the-scenes preview of the next The Lord of the Rings theatrical release, The Two Towers.
Music Video: Enya "May It Be" music video
An inside look at the Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Preview of Electronic Arts' video game: The Two Towers
TV Spot
Original Theatrical Trailers

EXTENDED CUT
- A new addition to the opening sequence in which Bilbo provides background on Hobbits and their history in voice-over as he writes his memoirs.
- A new introduction to Samwise Gamgee, seen in his capacity as a gardener.
- A scene taking place at the Green Dragon Inn, which introduces us to the camaraderie of the Hobbits (we see them singing together) and sets up the geopolitics of the story.
- The Hobbits witnessing the departure of the Elves from Middle Earth on the way to Bree.
- Aragorn watching over the sleeping Hobbits, singing the ballad of Beren and Luthien to himself in the night.
- Aragorn at his mother's grave, in which we learn that he was raised by Elves and that Sauron has long hunted him.
- Two new moments during the departure from Rivendale, one in which we see Arwen's emotional reaction to Aragorn's leaving, and another in which Elrond sees the Fellowship off.
- A scene with the Fellowship in the mines of Moria, in which we learn how the Dwarves themselves unleashed the fire-demon that eventually destroyed them.
- A scene at Lothlorien, where Galadriel bestows upon each of the Fellowship a gift which will play an important role later in the Trilogy.
-  And finally, more footage of the battle at Amon Hen. This is not particularly bloody footage, but its addition will likely result in this cut of the film receiving an R-rating.

Packaging for this set is still in the mock-up stage, but it looks like an ancient, leather-bound hardcover book. Film will be split over the first two discs of the set, with the second two containing more than SIX HOURS of in-depth behind-the-scenes material. Much of this content is still in production, so the final disc specs are still TBA. But you can look for feature-length director's audio commentary, art and photo galleries, documentaries and more

EXTENDED CUT/GIFT SET
-On top of whatever it is that's in the Extended Cut Set is this: the National Geographic: Beyond the Movie - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring DVD (containing 2 previously unreleased featurettes and a photo gallery), a set of exclusive Decipher game cards and a pair of bookends sculpted by WETA artists to look like the Argonath, all in packaging designed by production artist Alan Lee. Movie is the Extended cut with 30 minutes of scenes restored to the film (R-Rated)

Okay,  are they toying with us or what? ::)

Offline halo

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jun 11, 2002 at 08:22 PM »
Oh this just sucks....

I read the extras of both the 2 disc and the 4 disc sets and I've decided I want them both! Man! Just when I thought I could start saving, a new reason for spending presents itself ::)

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jun 11, 2002 at 08:52 PM »
Friggin unfair, if you ask me. >:(
Ooooohhh, Id hate to be a die hard Star Wars fan when they release a boxed set of the complete Episodes.
Talagang gagatasan nila mga fans. Tsk tsk tsk.
Nakapagtataka lang, bakit bookstand nilagay nila, at hindi replica ng ring mismo. Siguro isa pang version yun. Whatcha think? Are we puppets or what? He he he. ;)

Offline Titus

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jun 13, 2002 at 05:32 PM »
CruzSack, yes they are expensive. The Extended Edition will sell for $40 and the Gift Set will sell for $80.

halo, I know how you feel. At first, I wanted to wait for the Extended Edition only. But when I found out that the extras for the theatrical edition were going to be completely different (added to the fact that I'd have to wait 3 more months for the Extended Edition), now I want both.

I'm also tempted to get the Gift Set, but I'm still not sure if the National Geographic documentary and the (admittedly cool-looking) bookends are worth the additional $40.

Battousai, I'm not as angry about the multiple editions as you are. I loved the movie enough that I'd like to have both the theatrical release and the extended version. And since there won't be any overlap in the extras, the cash seems better spent. But what I'm afraid of is the inevitable complete trilogy set that they'll come up with after the third movie.

Offline halo

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 13, 2002 at 06:50 PM »
I agree with you wholeheartedly Titus.

The 2 disc set was conceived mainly for ordinary, everyday fans of the movie/book while the 4 disc sets are for the hardcore fans of LOTR.

This will be expensive, I agree, but it will be worth the money and that's something at least.

As for the inevitable box-set, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. ;D

Offline woodie520

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdie Partner!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 14, 2002 at 08:31 AM »
For more info:
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Special Extended Edition

June 07, 2002 - Today we are finally able to bring you the full specs for the November 12th release of the four-disc extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring, which does not include any of the extras from the two-disc set that will be released in August.

Discs One and Two will contain the new 208-minute cut of the film in addition to:
  • Widescreen (2.35:1) version of the Special Extended Edition.
  • Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound.
  • DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound.
  • Stereo Surround Sound.
Four audio commentaries by director and writers, the design team the production team and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Andrew Lesnie, Howard Shore, Jim Rygiel, Randy Cook...and many more.

Disc Three:
  • Adapting the book in a screenplay & planning the film.
  • Designing and building Middle-earth.
  • Storyboards to pre-visualization.
  • Weta Workshop visit - An up-close look at the weapons, armor, creatures and miniatures from the film.
  • Atlas of Middle-earth: Tracing the journey of the Fellowship.
  • An interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process.
  • Galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists.
  • Guided tour of the wardrobe department.
  • Footage from early meetings, moving storyboards and pre-visualization reels.
  • And much more!
Disc Four:
  • Bringing the characters to life.
  • A day in the life of a hobbit.
  • Principal photography: Stories from the set.
  • Scale: Creating the illusion of size.
  • Galleries of behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos.
  • Editorial and visual effects multi-angle progressions.
  • Sound design demonstration.
  • And much more!
The regular four-disc set will retail for $39.98, while the special Gift Set with the National Geographic DVD and the cool Sideshow Weta bookends will set you back $79.98. [/size][/color]

woody  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2002 at 08:32 AM by woodie520 »

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 14, 2002 at 07:39 PM »
oh boy.. 3 versions of the same movie.. ano ba yan...   ??? anyway, antay ko na lang ang mga review nyo. bago ako bumili pero siguro basic lang ako... syado mahal eh.. kuripot ako eh.. ;D

/1EBH

Offline Atticus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • In the end, only kindness matters.
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 17, 2002 at 10:38 AM »
Hi guys!!

I just checked the prices of the extended and the gift set in Amazon and they have brought down the price to just $30 and $50 respectively. Well that is if you pre-order the copy. So I guess it would be better to buy the gift set at that price, right?

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 07:46 PM »
Great deal on the LOTR gift set at Amazon. It's priced at $49.94 (at 38% off MSRP $79.98). Use Share the Love for additional 10% off, and a $5 coupon, and free shipping (to a friend or relative in the US heh). Total price is $39.95. Not bad! ;)

Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring (Platinum Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set)
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2002 at 07:52 PM by DVDiva »

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 08:31 PM »
Now this price drop looks promising. ;D

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jun 28, 2002 at 12:04 AM »
good god... talk about milking fandom.

i was just thinking of buying the 4-disc set but after reading the feature-differences, i should get the 2-disc set as well. which means i have to save... a lot of money if my math estimates are correct :-\

sometimes i wish i had all the money in the world to indulge in dvd's without feeling economic repercussions. :(

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jun 28, 2002 at 12:18 AM »
Me too - I think I'm gonna get the 2-disc and the 4-disc sets because of the feature difference. But I really want the set with the statues - ganda eh!

But slightly off topic - can anyone direct me to the Share The Love thread?

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jun 28, 2002 at 12:53 PM »
naku I had a change of heart.. I want the 4 disc set.. if I can afford the 2 disk set din why not..  problema na naman..

I think gumby has the right idea, SHARE THE LOVE MAN!!!!  ;D

/207H

Offline siriusblack

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 04:25 PM »

Great deal on the LOTR gift set at Amazon. It's priced at $49.94 (at 38% off MSRP $79.98). Use Share the Love for additional 10% off, and a $5 coupon, and free shipping (to a friend or relative in the US heh). Total price is $39.95. Not bad! ;)

hmmm, to anyone ordering this, pa-share the love naman ako  ;D  yung nga lang, just planning to buy the 4 disk set.
Lord, help me prove that winning the lottery won't spoil me !!

Offline euphyx

• Collector
  • fancy a pint of lager mate?
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 05, 2002 at 03:50 PM »
Amazon had just dropped the Lotr 4-discs to $25 last July 1-4! i dont know what was the promo but its now back to $30. Damn i missed it!

Offline siriusblack

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 05, 2002 at 04:35 PM »

Amazon had just dropped the Lotr 4-discs to $25 last July 1-4! i dont know what was the promo but its now back to $30. Damn i missed it!

nope it's still at 25.99  :)
Lord, help me prove that winning the lottery won't spoil me !!

Offline RAINMAN

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 08, 2002 at 05:28 PM »
now are any of these dvds going to be released locally? i bet if they are, bababuyin nanaman cla ng mga local distributors

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jul 09, 2002 at 12:12 AM »

Offline Chet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 12, 2002 at 11:49 AM »
Sayang they didn't manage to squeeze the entire extended cut  into one disc.  It's jarring to have to swap discs.  Kills the atmosphere.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 25, 2002 at 02:25 PM »
Here are clearer pictures of the Gift Set.  Please note some differences in the first and second pictures.  Alin kaya ang talagang ilalabas nila.

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2002 at 02:46 PM by weddingsingr »

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 25, 2002 at 02:36 PM »
I wonder if Amazon would be willing to ship those here. :D

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jul 25, 2002 at 03:05 PM »

I wonder if Amazon would be willing to ship those here. :D

I don't think they will reject shipping it anywhere.  The problem is the packaging and what the condition of the gift set would be when it arrives sa shipping address.  Plus baka lalong matahin ng Customs ang gift set thus charging a bigger amount.

I would even hesitate asking someone to bring this thing home from the US unless I can trust that person to pack the gift set very well to protect it like my brother who is quite familiar with fragile objects.  

Pero kung tipong hindi ko man lang kilala like the father of a friend eh huwag na lang.  Wala ka kasing magagawa kung na-damage ang box - nakiusap ka lang.

This is actually one of those DVD na highly recommended na bilhin mo na lang from a local "non-bogus" seller/source so you can inspect the item before you buy it.  Better kung one of those na may guarantee who will replace your purchased item if found to be defective.

Kung may delivery system/service siya, make sure lang na the seller knows how to package the item para fully protected or may very dependable delivery service siya na sanay mag-handle ng mga DVDs.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 25, 2002 at 04:30 PM »
For those who still have not seen these 4 screens from various sites...

Disc 1 Main Menu

Disc 1 Scene Selection

Disc 2 Special Features

Disc 2 Special Features 2

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • I like DVD's music and Blu-rays.
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 09:16 AM »
 ;D
Hey guys! I have recently acquired the First Edition R1 of the LOTR Two-disc set Last Saturday. So far so good! It's a great DVD. New line cinema stuck to their promise! all of the Special Features are in tact as they promised and Now, I can't wait for the Special Extended Edition as well! Coming this November!

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 11:01 AM »

;D
Hey guys! I have recently acquired the First Edition R1 of the LOTR Two-disc set Last Saturday. So far so good! It's a great DVD. New line cinema stuck to their promise! all of the Special Features are in tact as they promised and Now, I can't wait for the Special Extended Edition as well! Coming this November!

How about feedback or detailed critique? Or will that constitute a spoiler?

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • I like DVD's music and Blu-rays.
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 11:11 AM »

;D

How about feedback or detailed critique? Or will that constitute a spoiler?

Well, there are no easter eggs. The  casing plastic is conventional although they used a Golden Black resin for this one. Booklet is three fold. Special features include FOX TV Special, The Making, Preview of Two Towers, Featurettes on the several actors in the movie! And much more! For the price of around $19.99 on Amazon, it's a must buy! Date of Release August 6, 2002. US Release and Asia Release. I have no details on the R3 release and although it has been announced that it would be P1200 in Astrovision for two discs.

Offline toyfanatic

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • "ExEpTiOnAl ClArItY"
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 12:43 PM »
Hi guys ;D

Finally all Lord of the Rings FANS  outhere! I already bought a copy of mine Region 1 DVD.  sa SPECTRA its located at Parksquare 1 tel. 8185493.  Hurry baka maubusan kyo!

Marky ;D