Author Topic: JojoD's Tube and Solid State Projects  (Read 1135327 times)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: JojoD's Website on his Tube Projects
« Reply #1320 on: Jun 26, 2009 at 09:49 PM »
Yes sir! May mono block ba na hyvrid? I mean is it possible na mag-order?
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2009 at 10:08 PM by Nelson de Leon »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1321 on: Jun 27, 2009 at 12:22 AM »
Yes sir! May mono block ba na hyvrid? I mean is it possible na mag-order?

Pagisipan ko lang pero pwedeng pwede sir.   :)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1322 on: Jun 27, 2009 at 05:43 AM »
woohoo!!!

got to hook the hybrid to the clones!!!

master... magnificent! match na match yung dalawa. for my listening taste and ears, i find the combo very nice (sorry no audiophile term i can think of. hehe). everything is crystal clear, from the highs, mids and the bass, which sounds just right. build quality, all i can say this thing is built like a tank, ika nga ng isang car company, "built tough".

listening to some pop, jazz and instrumentals just wont be the same again. thanks master for this wonderful machine that brings out the best of the equally well crafted clones of sir anthony.

cheers to the diy masters of pdvd.

back to regular programming.....  ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1323 on: Jun 28, 2009 at 02:40 AM »
woohoo!!!

got to hook the hybrid to the clones!!!

master... magnificent! match na match yung dalawa. for my listening taste and ears, i find the combo very nice (sorry no audiophile term i can think of. hehe). everything is crystal clear, from the highs, mids and the bass, which sounds just right. build quality, all i can say this thing is built like a tank, ika nga ng isang car company, "built tough".

listening to some pop, jazz and instrumentals just wont be the same again. thanks master for this wonderful machine that brings out the best of the equally well crafted clones of sir anthony.

cheers to the diy masters of pdvd.

back to regular programming.....  ;D

Sensiya na at na late kami sa meet natin hehehe... layo nilakad from Quiapo to Divisoria sira kasi LRT...  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks and Enjoy brader!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1324 on: Jun 28, 2009 at 05:56 AM »

Sensiya na at na late kami sa meet natin hehehe... layo nilakad from Quiapo to Divisoria sira kasi LRT...  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks and Enjoy brader!

no problem master. thanks again. btw, if you dont mind, can you pm the specs of the amp. baka may mag tanong sa mga friends ko, baka prospective customers din. thanks.  ;D

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1325 on: Jun 28, 2009 at 08:32 AM »
no problem master. thanks again. btw, if you dont mind, can you pm the specs of the amp. baka may mag tanong sa mga friends ko, baka prospective customers din. thanks.  ;D

pansin ko lang, laging nasa 4 or 5am ang post mo ah, mukhang wala ng tulugan to! ;D
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1326 on: Jun 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM »

will do brader. thanks for the support!  ;)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1327 on: Jun 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM »

pansin ko lang, laging nasa 4 or 5am ang post mo ah, mukhang wala ng tulugan to! ;D

tulog konti tapos gising ulit. hehe.

will do brader. thanks for the support!  ;)

no problem master!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline sonnysin168

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1328 on: Jun 28, 2009 at 03:32 PM »
Breaker, breaker Master and the guys. I just want to post an anecdote. Thanks.

Offline sonnysin168

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1329 on: Jun 28, 2009 at 03:34 PM »
Warning: The following anecdote contains crude, vulgar, lewd and offensive language, penned by an uncouth and obviously uncivilized person, which may be harmful to minors and majors (ehem, adults) and the rest of the general population.
This is not to be taken very seriously but the writer wouldn’t mind if you do.

A TALE OF AN AMPLIFIER AND A FOOL

Once there was a time there was a fool, knowing very little, and didn’t ask around, commissioned someone everyone knows who, to build a piece of s # * t , pardon me, amplifier pala! Got to enjoy it for a while, thinking that he got something good for his hard-earned money. But soon after, several things begin to piss, eheste, bother him.

First, there was this noise coming out of the speakers during power on and off. Second, one of the blue LED’s in front went caput. Third, a really lousy paint job. These irked and bothered him. Luckily, a recent acquaintance introduced him to Tube Man, who in turn introduced him to The Tech. Several days after, this someone went to The Tech (who accommodated him, perhaps due to the pleading of the Tube Man and out of respect for the latter). Originally, The Tech advised this someone to go back to the manufacturer to have his problem addressed. Then this someone said that he already talked over the phone to the Malfacturer [sic] and this creature said that it is normal. This someone said further that he didn’t want to return to this Malprac***oner [sic] because it is a guaranteed “basag-ulo”! Grudgingly, The Tech agreed to help this someone. He soldered 0.01uF and 0.1uF caps parallel to the line before the on/off switch. The Tech told this someone that he bought a hybrid s # * t, eheste, amp that basically contains a muddled [sic] (not “modeled”) concertina circuit because the solid state portion (tone controls with gain) containing two cheapangga op-amps, is on the input side. He told this someone to get rid of this “evil thing” which kills good harmonics. But the stubborn this someone insisted on the tone controls to stay. Grudgingly, The Tech installed BB op-amps and bypassed it with Vishay caps and replaced some “pinulot sa Raon” parts with Panasonic parts, hoping it will improve sonics a little. It did a little, but perhaps defeated by the very nature of the “evil thing.”

In the midst of busy work day by The Tech, who more often than not ponders over the rather expeditious dissipation of money for his pet apartment construction project, this someone again bothered him. This someone wants to have all signal caps “Mundorfed”. Perhaps this someone then have not taken to heart The Tech’s adage: “No amount of boutique parts can make a bad circuit sound good, not even a good circuit can sound good when not properly implemented.” Nahihiya lang tanggihan, The Tech installed the Mundorf Supreme caps. The Tech further suggested to replace in the future the cheap Raon caps to Panasonic ones and, as soon as the apartment project is done (plus his pending orders), the ss rectifiers to ultra-fast diodes. These will have to be ordered in Singapore, he said.

Months passed, this someone again bothered The Tech. Why? Because he can’t stand the s # * t , eheste, amp sound anymore. Again why? “Parang nabubulunan ‘pag malakas patugtog.” “Parang nagdidikit-dikit ang main at background voices ‘pag chorus.” “Parang may sumasakal kay Alison Krauss ‘pag kumakanta.” “Parang di maabot ni Jeniffer Warnes yung high notes.” The congestion (plus strain) in the vocals, the bamban (rolled-off) highs, the slightly soft bass are just too much for this someone. He couldn’t stand it anymore. Even if he cursed The Maldesigner [sic] to high heavens all day and all night long it will not help, but instead might lead him to a shrink! The Tech, despite being very busy with pending orders, but possessing a soft spot for animals and fools who’d been had and have no one else to turn to, agreed to help again.

After designing a trial solution in his mind while attending a wake, The Tech is challenged to battle “the evil thing” inside the   s # * t, eheste, amp pala.

This someone braved the prospect of impending rains, boarded a taxi and traversed the “road frequently travelled” leading to The Tech’s abode. Grudgingly, The Tech took on the battle, just to get rid of this pest (this someone). Because of fact that the s # * t’s, eheste amp’s inability to supply the requirements of the tubes, the phono input (which this someone never uses) was disabled. The “evil thing” was not only disabled but consigned to eternity in the fiery depths of hell!  The balance knob is forced to write 30. Ultra-fast rectifiers were installed, as well as fine resistors in place of “pinulot sa basura” parts. All in all, the work took several hours, well beyond dinner time. The Tech, being good-hearted, but fearing this someone who was bothered, tired, angry, apprehensive and anxious over an empty stomach might instead be sent to an ER, gladly fed him, rather sumptuously. This someone was actually not hungry because of disappointment with his s # * t, eheste, amp plus excited over the prospect of it being turned into a real amp by the fairy Tech Man).

In silent thought, this someone remember a quotation from Robert F. Kennedy: “Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream of things that never were and ask, why not?”

Voila! Success! (applause! applause!) A whole new sound! The sound of a real tube amp! This someone fellow is elated, overjoyed and hopingly oversexed! He hurried home and went on to enjoy the music until the wee hours of dawn.

Side note:

The Tech is quite an interesting fellow. He tries hard to portray himself as an ordinary diy’er but as he speaks and do things, his pretentions were unmasked by his brilliance. Some people called him Master, boss, bossing while this someone called him Ka Jo (in the true revolutionary spirit). I wonder if JD really stands for his name or is it really John Doe or Joe Dimaggio?

Sabi nga ng Nanay ko, “Anak, ang katalinuhan pwedeng itago, pero ang kabobohan, kahit pilitin mong ilihim, mabubulgar!”

On the other hand, the Maldesigner [sic] seemed to have taken to heart in reverse a former Senator’s favorite saying: “If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, you can always baffle them with bulls# *t.” He lurks in an air-conditioned showroom and malfactures [sic] products (or trash if you ask many) in a Metro Manila City famous for hosting many gigs (that’s concert for you young people, forgive the writer, he is a flower power child, being born in the 60’s).

While just forget this someone dude who just happens to be me.

P.S.

If I am a black American, or rather an African American (to be politically correct), I would have started the story as: “ You ain’t gonna believe this  s # * t…”

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2009 at 06:49 PM by sonnysin168 »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1330 on: Jun 28, 2009 at 07:11 PM »
kakaaliw naman literature mo sir, di ko alam may talent ka pala sa writing...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i love the John Doe thingy ha... very CSI-ish!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

very entertaining read indeed...  ;)

I sincerely hope you feel better now that it's out of your chest, live in peace and ENJOY the music sir.  :)

Offline sonnysin168

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1331 on: Jun 29, 2009 at 06:43 AM »
Thanks. I hope I'll have no more stories to tell, except of course, the usual and expected triumph over battles vs. evil components and the magic touch of the Fairy Tech Man!

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1332 on: Jun 29, 2009 at 09:24 PM »
Thanks. I hope I'll have no more stories to tell, except of course, the usual and expected triumph over battles vs. evil components and the magic touch of the Fairy Tech Man!

I hope so too sir...  ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1333 on: Jun 29, 2009 at 09:31 PM »
my personal P4 headamp... ;D

tsk... tsk... tsk... pang Hot or Not thread yata...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #1334 on: Jun 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM »
lupet ng imahinasyon mo master! galing!

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #1335 on: Jun 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM »
my personal P4 headamp... ;D

tsk... tsk... tsk... pang Hot or Not thread yata...  ;D ;D ;D

ang galing! 2 na nakikita ko na ganyan...yung beatles sa headphiles and yan ;D
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1336 on: Jun 29, 2009 at 11:25 PM »
sa susunod nakaharap na siya... medyo shy kaya nakatalikod...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #1337 on: Jun 29, 2009 at 11:33 PM »
Nakakainggit naman yung creations ni sir Jojo. :D Baby steps muna ako, buffer stage muna. Hehehe.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1338 on: Jun 29, 2009 at 11:39 PM »
Nakakainggit naman yung creations ni sir Jojo. :D Baby steps muna ako, buffer stage muna. Hehehe.

uy oo nga pala... prepped the board already sir...  ;)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1339 on: Jun 30, 2009 at 03:19 AM »
Nai-imagine ko na ang hitsura ng board... hahahah.   ;D

Medyo cold and analytical kasi tunog ng setup ko ngayon, I'd love some warmth and bloom in some occasions. Ilalagay ko sa tape monitor loop para pwede ko i-disable if I want hard hitting dynamics... tapos on kapag gusto ko ng tubish sound.

Hopefully this will work for the meantime, while I don't have a separate SS and Valve systems.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2009 at 03:30 AM by Stagea »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1340 on: Jul 01, 2009 at 07:13 PM »
Nai-imagine ko na ang hitsura ng board... hahahah.   ;D

Medyo cold and analytical kasi tunog ng setup ko ngayon, I'd love some warmth and bloom in some occasions. Ilalagay ko sa tape monitor loop para pwede ko i-disable if I want hard hitting dynamics... tapos on kapag gusto ko ng tubish sound.

Hopefully this will work for the meantime, while I don't have a separate SS and Valve systems.

Are you the same stagea from kac?

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1341 on: Jul 02, 2009 at 06:18 AM »
Are you the same stagea from kac?

Hi Nelson, medyo OT ata tayo... pero yes, ako ren po yun. :)

Nice to see you here sir. Mahilig din po pala kayo sa pambahay. :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1342 on: Jul 02, 2009 at 07:30 AM »
Hi Nelson, medyo OT ata tayo... pero yes, ako ren po yun. :)

Nice to see you here sir. Mahilig din po pala kayo sa pambahay. :)

Di naman. Subok lang.

JojoD is a great guy. I read good reviews ng mga gawa nya.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1343 on: Jul 02, 2009 at 10:06 AM »
Ayos. Thanks Sir Nelson. :) Ano na mga binuo mo?

Di ko pa nameet si Master Jojo, pag natapos pa lang yung miniproject ko.

Offline jeff29jeff2002

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #1344 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 12:47 AM »
Sir jojoD,

I dont know if there is an specific thread for your Subwoofer controller? available pa ba sya? Kindly Pm me for the price and its features if available pa...TIA.

Jeff
“It takes half your life before you discover life is a DIY project.”

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1345 on: Jul 26, 2009 at 12:47 AM »
Met new and old friends yesterday afternoon and had a blast, sobrang na-miss ko ang audio kwentuhan... thanks guys!

New toy... 707 DAC  ;D

Oh, and I can't get the iTouch out of my head!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #1346 on: Jul 26, 2009 at 01:40 AM »
congrats on your new dac Master J ... got my JDLabs P4 amp na sir... buddies always looking forward to more JDLabs gears  8)

btw, i lke the tweak you did on your svc avr as i also prefer iec socket  8)
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2009 at 12:48 PM by bass_nut »

Offline nizmo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • i'm new here.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1347 on: Jul 26, 2009 at 10:01 AM »
Musta Don JojoD? ;D

we miss you na :( :( :(

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1348 on: Jul 26, 2009 at 12:37 PM »
Thanks din sir Jojo.

It was nice meeting/chatting with everyone. :)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1349 on: Jul 26, 2009 at 05:06 PM »
Met new and old friends yesterday afternoon and had a blast, sobrang na-miss ko ang audio kwentuhan... thanks guys!

New toy... 707 DAC  ;D

Oh, and I can't get the iTouch out of my head!  ;D ;D ;D

how does the dac work master, does it make compressed music sound better?