Author Topic: Digital Out to Analog Input  (Read 3712 times)

Offline leomar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Digital Out to Analog Input
« on: Sep 05, 2005 at 05:37 PM »
possible ba un? ung coaxial sa isang end tapos 6 rca sa kabila? meron ba nito?  ???  ???

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
Re: coaxial to analog : do we have this?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 09:02 AM »
Pls. elaborate your question. Most RCA cables use coaxial cable.
6 rca requires 6 pairs of wires (12pcs).  What is your application?
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 09:08 AM »
possible ba un? ung coaxial sa isang end tapos 6 rca sa kabila? meron ba nito?  ???  ???

Nope. You cannot have 6 analog outputs from 1 digital input w/o electronics (decoder) in between.

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 09:37 AM »
ok, kasi iniisip ko from dvd coaxial digital output to avr analog 5.1 input hehe kasi walang coaxial input ung avr ko e... hehe

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 09:46 AM »
Stereo lang ba yung analog out nun DVD player? If so, you may have to get one w/ 5.1 analog outs.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 12:11 PM »

If this is just a matter of making 6 RCA cables on one end and a common single RCA termination in the other, yes,  it can be done.  But to what purpose?  If you connect the single RCA end to the coax digital out of the DVD player, and then connect the 6 RCA cables to your AVR's 5.1 analog input, as I imagine you want to do, you might hear something, definitely nothing you can understand,  and if it's a DTS stream from the DVD player, you'd get high level digital hiss on the receiver, possibly damaging the speakers if loud enough.  Digital cannot cross into analog and vice versa without the necessary electronics.  Simple cables won't. 
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2005 at 12:12 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 11:54 AM »
a ok, walang sense un hehe maybe i need to have a avrcvr with digital input na lang... salamat!

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Digital to RCA converter
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 01:55 AM »
Hello,

This was previously asked and Radioshack was recommended. Unfortunately, all Radioshack branches has closed down (or has it?). What I want to accomplish is to connect my CD/DVD player's digital out (optical or coax) to my analog amp's rca input. Where can I buy optical or coax digital to Male rca converter?

2nd question, if I do get the converter, which DAC will be used? I understand using digital outs would bypass the player's D/AC but my amp does not have an internal DAC so which one will be used when im playing audio? Will it revert to the player's?

Thanks.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
Re: Digital to RCA converter
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 02:30 AM »
You want to connect the digital out of your DVD player to the analog input of your amp? I think that wont work.

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Digital Out to Analog Input
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 03:29 PM »
Digital RCA output coming from your player doesn't have audio signal, it requires decoder to convert it via PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) it is an anlog signal enough to fed via pre-amp or Integrated amp.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Digital to RCA converter
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 03:48 PM »
Hello,

This was previously asked and Radioshack was recommended. Unfortunately, all Radioshack branches has closed down (or has it?). What I want to accomplish is to connect my CD/DVD player's digital out (optical or coax) to my analog amp's rca input. Where can I buy optical or coax digital to Male rca converter?

No way you can  hear anything meaningful when connecting your player's dgital coax output to a receiver's analog input.  Like i said, cables cannot convert digital to analog and vice versa.

2nd question, if I do get the converter, which DAC will be used? I understand using digital outs would bypass the player's D/AC but my amp does not have an internal DAC so which one will be used when im playing audio? Will it revert to the player's?

The DAC of your converter will be used.  The input to the converter is digital.  The output of the converter box is analog to be connected to the analog input of the receiver.

Using the digital out will bypass your player's DAC and the digital datastream will EXPECT a DAC circuit at your receiver or preamp, or else you hear nothing meaningful.  It will not revert to the player's DAC as the player knows exactly which output you use and have expectations what to see at the other end.   If it fails to see what it expects at the other end, you won't get to hear anything. 

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 04:01 PM »
If a reciever does'nt have a digital input, I would pressume it does'nt have a Dolby Digital or DTS processor. You must buy a separate DD/dts processor to convert those digital formats to analog thus you can connect it now to your reciever using RCA connection.

But, I think it's cheaper to buy a reciever with DD/DTS built-in than to put those dedicated processor in between.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2005 at 04:02 PM by jcob »

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 04:22 PM »
If a reciever does'nt have a digital input, I would pressume it does'nt have a Dolby Digital or DTS processor. You must buy a separate DD/dts processor to convert those digital formats to analog thus you can connect it now to your reciever using RCA connection.

But, I think it's cheaper to buy a reciever with DD/DTS built-in than to put those dedicated processor in between.
I thinks it's cheaper to buy Generic DVD player with 5.1 output & 2 channel combi
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 04:23 PM »
I thinks it's cheaper to buy Generic DVD player with 5.1 output & 2 channel combi

Oo, nga pala. I agree 100%

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 11:13 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.

A DVD player with 5.1/analog outs was indeed my choice.  I actually  bought the LG 934xx last week as I found the analog outs useful for my 2 Integrated amps (while saving for an avr).  I was successful enough to get 5 channels (2 fronts, 2 rears, and I connected the TV's speaker as my center channel - worked fine, except for the 3 volume controls I had to man) . Unfortunately, after 2 days, I discovered the player can only read my fave dvd so I went back to Abenson and had my LG swapped for a Pioneer 585K great player with error correction features nearly at par with Philips. Unfortunately, with only 2 channel output, I cannot use its DD and DTS with my current gears (the 2 Int. amp), thus, my question about Digital to RCA converter.

Lesson: Built in DD and DTS decoders in DVDP's are useless if the unit does not have 5.1 outs or if one does not have an AVR and if one has and uses an AVR, the DVDP's decoders are bypassed anyway.   On the argument that one can use a cheap 5.1 speaker combo, rarely do they have digital ins.  :(

Thanks again.

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 09:14 AM »
Lesson: Built in DD and DTS decoders in DVDP's are useless if the unit does not have 5.1 outs or if one does not have an AVR and if one has and uses an AVR, the DVDP's decoders are bypassed anyway. On the argument that one can use a cheap 5.1 speaker combo, rarely do they have digital ins. :(

Thanks again.
DVDP with only 2 channel analog output usually have built-in DD decoder (Standard), or else you can't hear sound on any DVD playback without an outboard processor or AVR. The intention is direct connection with your TV system.

Here is the lesson:
DD & DTS with 5.1 output is might be useless if you have a good receiver with DD & DTS decoder ;D
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 09:50 AM »
Exactly. As long as one has a good avr, it does not matter if the dvdp has built in dts or not. ano ba ito, kino quote ko sarili ko.
hehe

and if one has and uses an AVR, the DVDP's decoders are bypassed anyway. 

Thanks Odyopayl

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 10:00 AM »
thats the point! hehe

if one wants/needs to experience true 5.1 3d sound, either:

1) dvdp with 5.1 analog out --> generic av receiver with 5.1 in ---> 5.1 speaker setup (pero parang prologic lang and labas nito e)

2) dvdp w/ digital out ---> branded av receiver w/ digital in ---> 5.1 speaker setup (kaya ipon-ipon)

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 10:20 AM »
1) dvdp with 5.1 analog out --> generic av receiver with 5.1 in ---> 5.1 speaker setup (pero parang prologic lang and labas nito e)

Bakit naman po?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 10:34 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.

A DVD player with 5.1/analog outs was indeed my choice.  I actually  bought the LG 934xx last week as I found the analog outs useful for my 2 Integrated amps (while saving for an avr).  I was successful enough to get 5 channels (2 fronts, 2 rears, and I connected the TV's speaker as my center channel - worked fine, except for the 3 volume controls I had to man) . Unfortunately, after 2 days, I discovered the player can only read my fave dvd so I went back to Abenson and had my LG swapped for a Pioneer 585K great player with error correction features nearly at par with Philips. Unfortunately, with only 2 channel output, I cannot use its DD and DTS with my current gears (the 2 Int. amp), thus, my question about Digital to RCA converter.

Lesson: Built in DD and DTS decoders in DVDP's are useless if the unit does not have 5.1 outs or if one does not have an AVR and if one has and uses an AVR, the DVDP's decoders are bypassed anyway.   On the argument that one can use a cheap 5.1 speaker combo, rarely do they have digital ins.  :(

Thanks again.

You should have checked with Abenson to make sure that the unit you were getting had 5.1 analog jacks. Your LG player's 5.1 analog connected to two integrated strereo amps and your TV amp for center was just fine as you were getting discrete 5 channel information, not prologic.   Now you have no choice but to get an AVR with digital input.  Or get another DVD player with 5.1 out which I think would be less costly if it's generic.  Can you still have your DVD player exchanged with one that has 5.1?

Actually, I've always found it unkind that some entry level DVD players only have stereo analog audio jacks.  These are marketed to the less oppulent crowd who can afford only simple HT set-ups that may not have digital inputs.  Whereas the mid-priced and flagship DVD players would have 5.1 analog outs and are often connected to AVRs digitally, rendering the 5.1 analog outs useless(unless it's for DVD-A or SACD).  This hobby contains a few ironies.   :(
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2005 at 10:54 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 11:05 AM »
Thanks for all your inputs.

Av_phile1,

Unfortunately, I can't return it without good reason. The unit is perfectly working. Hopefully  a chinese solution will come out soon-either in a form of a generic player or avr with digital IN perhaps? :)
Im ruling out the generic player for now since I really like Pioneer's pic resolution. Cheap pdvds look great.

I agree with your sentiment about entry-mid gears having only stereo outs. Built in dts / sound dac are generally useless with the lack of analog connectability.

From where I stand, I can sell my denon ss to supplement my avr budget. Or, as a fellow member suggested, I may have to do with pseudo-quadraphonics for now since its the best I can do with what I have.   

At least, I get to taste 70's surround. :)   

Thanks.

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 11:38 AM »
sir bumblebee,

kasi ung generic receiver ko ung channel mode niya ay, 2,3 and 5 lang, ung 5 sabi niya pro logic lang hehe

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 03:46 PM »
Thanks for all your inputs.

Av_phile1,

Unfortunately, I can't return it without good reason. The unit is perfectly working. Hopefully a chinese solution will come out soon-either in a form of a generic player or avr with digital IN perhaps? :)
Im ruling out the generic player for now since I really like Pioneer's pic resolution. Cheap pdvds look great.

I agree with your sentiment about entry-mid gears having only stereo outs. Built in dts / sound dac are generally useless with the lack of analog connectability.

From where I stand, I can sell my denon ss to supplement my avr budget. Or, as a fellow member suggested, I may have to do with pseudo-quadraphonics for now since its the best I can do with what I have.

At least, I get to taste 70's surround. :)

Thanks.
Watchout for the branded receivers for sale on the Asstd. buy & sell items, slightly used & well taken care 2nd hand items are far from brand new generic Receiver amplifiers. 

After having a good AV receiver you will need a Subwoofer for a real 5.1 experience.

Goodluck!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 03:51 PM »
thats the point! hehe

if one wants/needs to experience true 5.1 3d sound, either:

OK din ito, sa DVD player ka magse-set-up ng mga parameters ng speakers from sizes to distance. Discrete din ito, this is far from pro-logic You will need 3 pairs of Interconnects for FL/FR/C/FL/FR/SW
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 05:03 PM »
sir odyopayl,

yup, yan din iniisip ko pero ang next na question ko ay, paano ko iseset na 5.1 sa receiver since ang modes lang po na available ay 2,3,5 channels?

salamat!

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 10:33 PM »
sir odyopayl,

yup, yan din iniisip ko pero ang next na question ko ay, paano ko iseset na 5.1 sa receiver since ang modes lang po na available ay 2,3,5 channels?

salamat!

Me sub-out ba? Kc kung meron, my guess is that the receiver processes all the inputs to get the .1. If this is so, you set all channels to LARGE sa DVD player.

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 03:50 PM »
Actually, I've always found it unkind that some entry level DVD players only have stereo analog audio jacks.  These are marketed to the less oppulent crowd who can afford only simple HT set-ups that may not have digital inputs.  Whereas the mid-priced and flagship DVD players would have 5.1 analog outs and are often connected to AVRs digitally, rendering the 5.1 analog outs useless(unless it's for DVD-A or SACD).  This hobby contains a few ironies.   :(

Let me clarify, I just have a 2 channel set up for audio. I find it acceptable to use the analog stereo output jack of my DVD.

Sometimes I am curious to hear the DTS track, there is no sound if i select this track. Is there a way to hear the DTS track in a 2 channel set-up.  A DVD player with a built in DTS decoder perhaps?

Thanks.

Louie