Author Topic: Connecting a Sub via Speaker Level with bi-wired Main Speakers  (Read 1501 times)

Offline degro01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Gurus!

I am planning to connect my Sub using its speaker level terminals because its LFE terminal is defective.  However, I have bi-wired my main speakers also.   The question is how is the best way to do it without changing the bi-wire configuration of the main speakers.

Thanks!

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Connecting a Sub via Speaker Level with bi-wired Main Speakers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 04:31 PM »
Hi Gurus!

I am planning to connect my Sub using its speaker level terminals because its LFE terminal is defective.  However, I have bi-wired my main speakers also.   The question is how is the best way to do it without changing the bi-wire configuration of the main speakers.

Thanks!

Triwire?

Offline degro01

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 04:41 PM »
Will the AVR see a different impedance now that another speaker is connected in parallel?  So do I need to adjust the impedance settings at the AVR side?

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 06:03 PM »
Will the AVR see a different impedance now that another speaker is connected in parallel?  So do I need to adjust the impedance settings at the AVR side?

I'm not sure ha, but you won't be powering the sub naman e. So the added load shouldn't be an issue ??? :-\

Try triwiring and see if the amp heats up more quickly. If it shuts down, you can try wiring in series.

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 02:25 PM »
If you're going to use speaker level connection, you'll loose all the bass information from your center speaker and surround speakers specially if they are set to "small" in your AVR set-up. Unless ofcourse, if your center and surrounds are capable of producing LF when you set it to "large". I'm assuming that your AVR conforms with Dolby LAbs standard (i.e when the speaker is set to "small" bass information from that specific channel should be sent through the LFE channel)

The set-up may however be applicable for stereo or 2 channel listening

Just my 2 centimos.

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 04:11 PM »
Hi Gurus!

I am planning to connect my Sub using its speaker level terminals because its LFE terminal is defective. However, I have bi-wired my main speakers also. The question is how is the best way to do it without changing the bi-wire configuration of the main speakers.

Thanks!
First verify your LFE if it's really defective. LFE won't turn-ON unless you set the subwoofer to ON (or with sub connected ) on your receiver set-up.
2nd, whats the size of your speaker? If it's capable of producing at least 55Hz then you can set it to Large, to allow low frequency output and at the same time more gain on your sub when connected via speaker level.
3rd Bi-wiring doesn't affect the load of your amplifier, when rated 8 ohms still consider as 8 ohms. When connecting a powered sub, this nothing to do with the impedance. Otherwise if its passive , try to connect your speakers on the output of your sub.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline degro01

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 04:42 PM »
Hi sirs!

My Main and Center Speakers are Mission 73i series and Surrounds are NS200 Floor standing from my old Yamaha setup.  While my AVR is a Marantz 6300 which I believe conforms to Dolby Labs standard that mr. jcob mentioned.  I will have to set the speakers to large then.

Pardon my ignorance but I have tried setting it up already (Main and Sub all connected in parallel to the AVR's main speaker terminals) and it works and sounds all right.  I am just worried about how the AVR is feeling internally.  Baka bumigay eventually!  In other words, I'm not quite confident on the setup.  My Sub's power supply is still turned on.  My friend told me that I should turn it off since it no longer uses the amplifier of the subwoofer.  Di ko pa ito nasubukan.  Is this what mr. odyopayl meant?  That if it's a powered sub, impedance is not an issue?  So pano kung i-turn off ko yung sub sir?

Thanks!

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 05:00 PM »
Sir,

From what I understand the speaker wire from your AVR to sub High level input is not directly connected to the sub driver but rather on  the sub amplifier. If you'll turn-off the sub amp. you won't get any bass amplification. The high level input I believed is further brought down to line level signal which your sub amp amplify. In one of the article I've read, if you want good sub-sat integration for 2 channel listening it's better to use the pre-out of your main speaker and feed it directly to the line level input of the subwoofer ( that is assuming your sub has  L and R line level input, you can use an RCA splitter if there's only one.)
Have you tried turning off the sub amp? What's the result? I think you won't get any sound from your sub.

just my two centimos.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 05:52 PM »

Pardon my ignorance but I have tried setting it up already (Main and Sub all connected in parallel to the AVR's main speaker terminals) and it works and sounds all right.  I am just worried about how the AVR is feeling internally.  Baka bumigay eventually!  In other words, I'm not quite confident on the setup.  My Sub's power supply is still turned on.  My friend told me that I should turn it off since it no longer uses the amplifier of the subwoofer.  Di ko pa ito nasubukan.  Is this what mr. odyopayl meant?  That if it's a powered sub, impedance is not an issue?  So pano kung i-turn off ko yung sub sir?

Thanks!

The sub's high level input still passes the signal  through the sub's power amplifer to drive the subwoofer.  Jcob is right, the high level signal is attenuated using some dividing network that allows the amp to accept the high level signal at the same time filtering it for the limited bandwidth that the amp can work on.   

You can always try turning off the sub's power and see if you still can hear anythng out of it.  Chances are you won't.  But if you still do, then I guess your sub's high level inputs do bypass the sub power amp - a feature I don't recall seeing in the sub's I've seen so far.